It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serious Help Needed: Drivers not updating, MS update not installing, Won't do System Resotre.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Hello ATS,

I am really stuck here and I do not know what to do.
Recently (as in January) there was a MS security update. I downloaded and installed the updates but two did not install (.net framework 4 and .net framework 2) No matter what I did, they would not install. Having looked on the net for lots of help, nothing I did worked. I even tried the Fix-It help programme which initially said it failed to scan it or something like that.

Fast forward to the end of last week, new updates coming in along with the ones that didn't up date. I try again and once again all install except the ones above. I tried to do a system restore but it kept coming back saying it had failed to do that and that nothing had changed.
I then decide to use Malwarebytes to see if it can detect anything that my BitDefender AV had missed (also Hi-Jack This showed nothing bad) I download and install it and find that I start getting strange hang up problems with the PC. After several hours of having to kill the pc with the off button due to it totally not responding or taking an absolute age to even put the icons on my desktop, restarts and failed attempts to do a system restore I thought my pc was doomed.
Eventually the next day I managed to get it to boot up and work, even though it still took a seriously long time for the icons etc to all come up on my desktop and used that opportunity to run a Malwarebytes scan. Before the scan finished it came back saying it had to close due to a problem. I then uninstalled Malwarebytes and at least that seemed to fix the boot up problem, but did not solve my initial problem.

Now we come to today. I notice I have more updates for MS and so yet again I have a go. This time, however, the .net framework2 actually installs but leaves behind .net framework 4 and a new one of .net framework 1.1 of service pack 1. I then decide to have another go at the microsoft Fix-it and this time it actually did the scan and repair, at least that is what it told me. However my pc will still not install these updates.
Along with this, I was also trying to get rid of an NVidia 'Desktop Explorer' icon which no matter what I did would not get off my desktop nor would it go into a folder nor would it stay in the place I put it on the desktop and would always pop back up into the top left corner on boot up. I tried going into the programmes that get launched at start up to see if it was there and I could just stop it doing that but it was not there. It was when I was trying to sort that problem out that one of the scan programmes for finding problems etc (it may have been the Fix-it one but can't remember now) saying there were new driver updates for my graphics card. I thought, ok, maybe this will help with the problem of the icon not being movable/removable. So I download and install the NVidia drivers and it comes back saying failed to install. I had not uninstalled the original drivers at that point because not only did I not know that I had to (some updates do all that in the process) but I didn't know if I would lose all visibility on my pc if I did that.

I then open photoshop and it comes up saying there is a problem due to graphic card driver issues. So I think, maybe some part of the update did work but not all of it. I then try to re-do it with a 'clean install' which apparently wipes all the nvidia data/drivers to default settings and starts afresh ( found that out after lots more searching / reading on the net). Once again it comes back failed to install. I look in my 'add /remove programmes list and there are no drivers for NVidia showing there, so it did remove them but just didn't replace them. I then try to install the old driver version I have that I downloaded and kept in a folder from ages ago and it comes up with an error saying

"The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open".

I have absolutely no idea what that means. So now I am stuck with a pc which won't update security updates, won't install graphics card drivers so I am on a strange resolution setting and very slow movement of graphics on screen, won't self repair with the Fix-it thingy even though it says it has done it and won't do a system restore even back a few hours to earlier in the same day (which is now yesterday for me).
I can't do an F8/Boot to Safe Mode because my keyboard is usb and so does not seem to power up until the pc is launching Windows XP and so is too late by then.

When I do system info this is what comes up (in case it is needed for helping)

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model G31M-S2L
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11 GenuineIntel ~2400 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F9, 29/12/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"

Total Physical Memory 3,072.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 2.21 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.95 GB
Page File Space 4.84 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Is there anyone who can help me with this? I am not brilliantly techy and so don't understand a lot of techy words but I can follow instructions.

*crossing my fingers you can help me.

CthulhuMythos

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
download combofix and run it in safemode with networking because it needs to download stuff from the internet.. That will make sure you don't have any spyware/virus tripping you up and it works better then any other program..

When it is done if you don't have any issues and it says you are all good.. You need to try to go to add/remove programs and uninstall any updates that you have installed over the past however many days that you have had issues..

If that doesn't fix your problem if you want to setup remote desktop I will remote in and see what I can do for you just u2u me.

I just saw that you cant get into safe mode... keep restarting the computer when you see the windows logo until it gives you the option to go into safe mode it should take 2-3 times.. You can try to run combofix without safemode it just runs better in there becuase it doesn't load everything.
edit on 21-1-2013 by dc4lifeskater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Ok. I am by far no Han Solo at computers...actually that probably describes me best. Anyway, make sure your computer time and date are correct.

My 2 cents, but, it worked for me.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by CthulhuMythos

I thought maybe it was because you were using XP and Microsoft was no longer supporting it. But my assumption was wrong... It should be good thru 2014.

I would try what DC recommended and go from there.....

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Thank you for replying.

Clock is set fine so it can't be that.

As for going into safe mode, how do I do that if I can't access my keyboard whilst it is in the initial boot up stage? Is there a way round it?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I just saw that you cant get into safe mode... keep restarting the computer when you see the windows logo until it gives you the option to go into safe mode it should take 2-3 times.. You can try to run combofix without safemode it just runs better in there becuase it doesn't load everything.

Like hold the power button then when its off hit the button again.. do that a few times until it gives you a menu it should work on most computers and you should have usb keyboard..

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

Ok I have downloaded Combo-fix, how do I run this in safe mode? Is there a way to jump to safe mode once I have booted up and am in windows? I can't access the bios thingy as it boots up due to my keyboard being usb which apparently does not come 'online' until after the bios bit.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   

I already did a thing, suggested on a techy forum for getting into safe mode which was to add in a bit of text to the boot up script which gives the option of normal mode or safe mode and halts the bios bitty for 20 seconds for you to choose which mode (this was because at that time I thought it was just my F8 button that didn't work - not realising until today that it is due to the usb aspect of the keyboard). So even though it pauses to let me choose I can not access the arrow keys to choose it. grrrrrrrrr.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

just log in and run it it will still work.

also something in your bios isnt set right because your usb keyboard should work at startup once you bios loads, if you can get an old keyboard on there long enough to change it look for usb emulation make sure its enabled.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Ummm.. I can offer a 12 gauge shotgun so you may exercise your 2nd amendment rights upon that computer of yours and show it who wears the chips in your home.

Seriously, I would have suggested it myself but someone beat me to it so I'll just add my support for the suggestion. Get Combofix.

Now that isn't a Bestbuy store bought solution. It's a tech shop tool. It's kinda like killing an ant with an 155mm howitzer in most cases and ..well..overkill is a word that doesn't do it justice. It can also do a lot of harm if toyed with the wrong way. Bleepingcomputer should have warnings about all that. Just read carefully and hope it works.

It SHOULD too. Combofix is what a tech shop loads up when things all seem to fail. It's not the absolute last choice, but it is at the consumer level. Let us know if it works to fix this as your best shot..

If it DOES NOT work? I recommend you get a little program called "Linux Live USB Creator" or 'LiLi USB Creator" and you'll be making a USB stick using "System Restore CD 3.1.1" as selected from the 'Download' list. That program only has one screen..you'll see it. Anyway... When you make a USB stick that way, your machine ought to boot to IT instead of the HD and you'll be in a rescue environment 100% removed from Windows....yet 100% able to work with the files windows had (should be anyway). THAT will let you recover whatever you can by direct copy off ...before the dreaded format and wipe to start over.

Ain't Windows grand?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Ok , let me go and try that now, will get back to u asap..... muchly appreciated btw.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by CthulhuMythos
Thank you for replying.

Clock is set fine so it can't be that.

As for going into safe mode, how do I do that if I can't access my keyboard whilst it is in the initial boot up stage? Is there a way round it?

On my old desktop PC that I dont use very often, I cant use my keyboard when it is re booting as well because the mouse and keyboard is connected via wireless so if I ever need to use one, I just connect an old keyboard that plugs into the desktop the 'normal' way into the back of it.
If you want to get into safe mode without using your keyboard, type this msconfig then press enter where you will be able to set the boot mode to safe mode instead of the normal mode. Once you get to safe mode, remember to type msconfig again and change it back to normal mode or else it will continue to boot into safe mode. If it says to restart, tick no until you are ready......

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
combofix is the first thing I use if I think there are any virus or malware issues.. I have NEVER in my years of using it had a problem with it messing up a customers computer and its completely automated so its very hard to mess somthing up by hitting the wrong buttons.

If that does fix problems I pull the disk and load it on an external and start running more in dept tests on everything, or I run a hardware diagnostic if things are acting wonky and usually either the ram or hard drive are having issues..

You could also be having a hardware issues that just happened to come about when you did some updates, it happens all the time its not updating that broke it, just happens you had hardware failure at about the time you did updates.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Quite often the older mother boards only see one usb slot while at the bios level, try other sub sockets. Also when a pc is so unusable I find its so much quicker to just reinstall windows. You shouldnt lose anything as it usualy stick the old os in another folder.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I'm not being snarky here. I am an IT professional. I dealt with all kinds of MS issues for a long time. My solution - the best I've found yet - is here:

www.linuxmint.com...

I walked away from Micro$oft several years ago and have not looked back.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by incoserv
I'm not being snarky here. I am an IT professional. I dealt with all kinds of MS issues for a long time. My solution - the best I've found yet - is here:

www.linuxmint.com...

Every so often I download and install one of the linux flavours, a few days ago I downloaded mint. Very nice! best I've seen so far. My problem is I've so many little programs I've created for myself and I'd be lost without them. I'm realy into vb6, do you know if there's anything simmilar for linux? Most of my time at my pc is spent hooking into windows and generaly messing about, I love it, one HUGE puzzle, this is the only reason I havent swithched to mint.
For anyone not messing with the OS I'd agree with incoserv, go get a copy of mint.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Hi CthulhuMythos ,Ill be surprised if combofix helps in this case. I cant be 100% sure but i dont think this is a virus issue.

In my experience if you use strong programs like combofix on a system that is just mis configured and does not have a virus it can do more damage than good. Throwing solutions at it before you fully understand the problem is really not a good idea.

Its 3am here so im about to crash out now but if you can wait until tomorrow ill happily work through the problem with you depending on what else you do to your system between now and then. though i have a feeling your going to try a bunch of stuff .

edit on 21-1-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Ok, I did the Combo-Fix thing and it gave me a huge txt file, but I have no idea what it all means and what I have to do next.

At least so far the yellow MS shield has not popped up yet.
edit on 21-1-2013 by CthulhuMythos because: last statement added

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

I thought maybe it was because you were using XP and Microsoft was no longer supporting it. But my assumption was wrong... It should be good thru 2014.

I would try what DC recommended and go from there.....

Ha, me too, I had started a reply about support and the probability of new updates being unlikely, but on checking.. bam, 2014.

News to me, I thought it was already ended.

I have no idea why, however, there would be any updates to the .net framework, unless the machine had never had those in the first place. the .net framework can affect many programs that utilise it.

Given the level of severity, I'd be doing a complete backup using a third party backup software, something you know you can browse later and retrieve files, and then a reinstall of XP, or newer if required.

Acronis have a decent backup suite.

I mean, it's having problems installing microsoft updates, having problems with nvidia drivers, etc. Sounds like multiple points of failure or one big whopping nasty that might be able to be bandaided back together, but would be better with a fresh install.

When installing the nvidia drivers you only need the driver. you don't need any of the utilities that come with it, unless you need them. Since you're trying to remove problematic bits of them, it would see you don't need it.

It's a pity Windows 7 was so much better at hardware support right out of the box, and XP needed a kick in the pants for me to even get my NIC working. I ended up slipstreaming the drivers into the cd, so I never had to work around them with usb sticks etc again.

And now I'm on windows 8. surprisingly I like to better than 7. That's like saying the cookie monster suddenly likes lasagne and calls himself garfield.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Originally posted by incoserv

www.linuxmint.com...

Every so often I download and install one of the linux flavours, a few days ago I downloaded mint. Very nice! best I've seen so far. My problem is I've so many little programs I've created for myself and I'd be lost without them. I'm realy into vb6, do you know if there's anything simmilar for linux? Most of my time at my pc is spent hooking into windows and generaly messing about, I love it, one HUGE puzzle, this is the only reason I havent swithched to mint.
For anyone not messing with the OS I'd agree with incoserv, go get a copy of mint.

OMG a fellow vb6 maniac. Ugh I still have it all but I've had to get with the program.. vb.net

Oh for the slight learning curve, it is far better at getting things done. Pinvoke helps with api calls, converting old methods.

Surely you could install vb6 in Wine? I cannot see why not, and then your programs would run almost the same?

Never thought about it, wine can almost run anything I've thrown at it however, with the exception of getting media player classic to play mkv files. ha.

Description
Visual Basic 6 Enterprise Edition - Service Pack 5
Old test results
The test results you have selected are very old and may not represent the current state of Wine.
Selected Test Results (selected in 'Test Results' table below)
What works
Almost Everything

What does not
Didn't let me add the ADO Data Control 6.0 and the DataGrid Control 6.0
claims "Not enough Memory"
Also claims that when trying to compile.
Runtime Compiling works

if you've already got Mint somewhere, why not try it? Be interested to see if your existing applications work without having to do much to get them to.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join