It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serious Help Needed: Drivers not updating, MS update not installing, Won't do System Resotre.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Thank you, will look into this once I get my pc in good shape.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by CthulhuMythos
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Thank you, will look into this once I get my pc in good shape.

No problem at all, I used to have XP until I updated to windows ultimate and haven't looked back. Just remember to make 2 separate images onto 2 seperate hard drives in case one is corrupted which has happened to me before and it took me ages to get all my stuff working again. An image doesn't take long to make or restore. It's just like a snapshot of your whole PC and reinstalls everything as it was at that time it was made.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
reply to post by CthulhuMythos

Whats the format of the video files are causing explorer to crash?

Ill check on solutions for the system restore problem in the morning.

I have just done a 'safe mode' test with opening movie files. I found that they open fine with no crashes with the exception of one folder (a dropbox share folder) which as several items in it. This one still crashes when I open any of the folders within it which contain a .avi file.

When back in normal mode I find any of the actual movie files that are .avi will crash it (even though they didn't do that in safe mode)
Could something about this dropbox folder set off a reaction which then causes other files to crash win explorer? Anyway to fix that?

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

OK, result!! I managed to find a solution to the explorer crashing with .avi files.
I found it here

And the one that worked for me was this:

Open windows explorer on a freindly non-crashing folder and go to tools> folder options >view >check restore defaults. (now Windows explorer only crashed when I would open the file itself) Then I ran from the run command: start->run->regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll

And just like the poster who put that in the post, I have no idea what the regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll actually did, but it seems to have worked (so far that is).

At least that is one problem less

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Thats great , its a problems ive seen in the past but i never made a note of how i fixed it. Im going to log your solution away for future reference. Thanks

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Wow, guess what!!! I was still sitting with that .Net 1.1 not installing issue, even after trying a few more times. I had a check on my update history on the microsoft website and up came a box saying something about several error logs had been created (due to the non installation of this update) and would I like to send a report to Microsoft. Usually I say no to sending anything to them because I just don't trust them, but this time I decided to send it and see if they could do anything.

Today I log in and find that I still have the yellow shield with the .net 1.1 update BUT there was a second .net 1.1 update with a different code number at the end of the title. So I hit the 'update now' button and hey presto, both of them actually installed!!!!! Ta-dah!
I then went onto the website and did a 'check for updates' and a .net 4 update came up and I installed that too, successfully. As a final check I looked at the update history and all have installed just fine. Whooop Whooop.

Not sure if these updates will have sorted the system restore issue, but now a bit reluctant to try a system restore in case I cock-up the new installed settings.

Thank you for all your help and patience, and thank you also to everyone else who posted with advice, muchly appreciated.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Thats great , we finally got there

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

OMFG spoke too soon yet again!!! Update Wednesday has undone the previous fix and the exact same component of the .net 1.1 has failed to instal again. Have yet again sent off the report of the failure to Microsoft in the hope of a permanent fix.

Guess it is in the hands of the 'gods' now.

;0

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

uurgh what a nightmare. Like i said at the start of this thread sometimes this happens and the 1.1 update just refuses to install. We have pretty much exhausted all the standard ways of resolving this issue. Im going to have to admit defeat on this ..for now. When ive got a bit more time ill have another poke around for any solutions we haven't tried yet and i might get back to you some time in the future

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Thank you so much for everything, I will keep sending them the reports of failure too.

((hugs)) & a big Kisssssss X

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join