It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feminism & The Downfall Of The Traditional Family

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ihavenoaccount

That word, that movement, has no baggage connected in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiredofControlFreaks
reply to post by eletheia

Eletheia

Thank you - I remember those times very very well. I am so grateful to feminism. It gave me the strength to fight for the right to support my children (completely abandoned by their father). It opened doors for me that would have remained closed.

Thanks to feminism, I was able to carry my daughters from welfare class to middle class and change the entire expections of their lives.

I have lived in both worlds. Grew up with my mother standing behind my father while he ate (just in case he wanted something, like more bread or some pickles). Grew up standing behind my brother and making do with what was left over (very little). Married and lived under the thumb of my husband until I couldn't take the abuse any longer and certainly did not want my daughters to live the same life.

Thank God for feminism that allowed me to escape!

I think there are many many woman in other countries who wish they were in our shoes. I do believe that the pendulum as swung too far but that it will slowly swing back, hopefully to somewhere in the middle.

And to all the men who are looking for submissive females - good on you! Go get them! Cause I sure don't want you. If you can't see me as a partner, you can't have me!

Tired of Control Freaks

LoL what were you born in the 1800's?

Women's rights
en.wikipedia.org...

Property rights

During the 19th century some women in the United States and Britain began to challenge laws that denied them the right to their property once they married. Under the common law doctrine of coverture husbands gained control of their wives' real estate and wages. Beginning in the 1840s, state legislatures in the United States[94] and the British Parliament[95] began passing statutes that protected women's property from their husbands and their husbands' creditors. These laws were known as the Married Women's Property Acts.[96] Courts in the 19th-century United States also continued to require privy examinations of married women who sold their property. A privy examination was a practice in which a married woman who wished to sell her property had to be separately examined by a judge or justice of the peace outside of the presence of her husband and asked if her husband was pressuring her into signing the document.

Honestly you are just the female version of the men here getting bashed for not supporting what the movement has become.

It is only proper that someone tell you in turn that if you are a weak woman who is going to get walked all over then you deserve it, don't blame the man. To be blunt you made a very poor choice of a husband, unless it was arranged (?).

Does not sound very civil saying this to a woman now does it?

What happens to equality in this situation then? Anyone who reacts differently to the response whether it is said to a man or a woman is thus a hypocrite and a bigot.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by FriedBabelBroccoli

Just another trapped soul in this craZy world.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by InTheLight

Maybe. It's just the whole "femi-" part of feminism that has always sounded odd to me. I understand the origin of the ideals expressed, but it does sound like the name is implying something else, which does get people riled up. Not that they should, but I do understand why.

Yes, the patriarchy exists. Yes, women are still oppressed. But since other minorities are also oppressed, arguably to the same standard, (for example, people love to debate over whether black men are more oppressed than white women, which doesn't have an easy answer if there is one at all), egalitarianism seems more apt to me, at least etymologically, if we're talking about equality regardless of gender, race, creed or class (which technically wouldn't exist in the traditional sense any more, but meh).

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by oonkala
. Why can't we all admit there are some things women are just not cut out to do and thing that men are not cut out to do.

Because both genders can easily preform many of these things and its ridiculous to rigidly define masculinity and femininity and then try to impose the notion on an individual and expect them to live up to it.

Its rather ludicrous to be so concerned with philosophizing over ones gender to begin with and where it places them in the scope of the world. You should decide what is appropriate based on your individual wants and needs.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   
interesting thread.. been a topic of discussion ive been involved in recently ...

well there is a growing division of women who see their power between their legs and men have allowed this to happen ... what are men thining running around with a "yes sir no sir three bags full sir" attitude after them ... bossy bullying women is the result .. i have seen more and more of these sprouting up over the years and they p1$$ me off ... especially lazy fat ones.

a problem is a degree of them seem to have gone to the other extreme and i cant answer why ... power crazy... but another problem is men have let these ones do just that ... the solution is simple .. don't let them and aim for a balance .. a division of men seem emotionally impaired these days ... get a grip guys ... if she is becoming a pain move on (don't sit in a dark room and blub feeling sorry for urself) and if enough people did this perhaps there would be a change in direction until a happy medium is found.

so my summary, men are becoming more emotional and feminine, women are becoming more male.. doesnt affect me but i see enough of it.

men and women are not the same, only equal in as much as they complement eachother.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Did you even check that link? long link and of little relevance to the subject under

discussion. How ever maybe you should take note of the following information taken

from there which is of ANY relevance

Declaration on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women. Described as an

international bill of rights for women came into force 3rd September 1981

Birth control only started to become acceptable during the 1920's

American women got the right to vote in 1920 and in the UK in 1918 a bill

was passed allowing women over the age of 30 to vote

It wasn't until 1975 that the first British Sex Discrimination Act and Equal Pay Act and

An Equal opportunities commission came into force

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrjoones
interesting thread.. been a topic of discussion ive been involved in recently ...

well there is a growing division of women who see their power between their legs and men have allowed this to happen ... what are men thining running around with a "yes sir no sir three bags full sir" attitude after them ... bossy bullying women is the result .. i have seen more and more of these sprouting up over the years and they p1$$ me off ... especially lazy fat ones.

a problem is a degree of them seem to have gone to the other extreme and i cant answer why ... power crazy... but another problem is men have let these ones do just that ... the solution is simple .. don't let them and aim for a balance .. a division of men seem emotionally impaired these days ... get a grip guys ... if she is becoming a pain move on (don't sit in a dark room and blub feeling sorry for urself) and if enough people did this perhaps there would be a change in direction until a happy medium is found.

so my summary, men are becoming more emotional and feminine, women are becoming more male.. doesnt affect me but i see enough of it.

men and women are not the same, only equal in as much as they complement eachother.

I agree.
That's what this thread is about. But also about trying to question WHY it is that this is has happened.
Is it because of how they were raised?
I notice some of my friends are in this boat. And each one of them have one thing in common, they didn't grow up with a father, but they did have mother's but were emotionally detached.
Granted, they are all quick to fight but when it comes to women, they tend to bend over as if there are no other women in this world except the ones they are with.
--And the women walk all over them for it.

I am baffled as to why they take the #. But hey, whatever makes them happy i suppose. I just can tell they aren't happy.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks_javascript:icon('
')

I think you and I have been living in a parallel universe
but I have a feeling that I

have been around a bit longer than you!

'Feminism' as such never really made an impression on me as I was just too busy fighting

for equality The only thing I was actually aware of concerning 'feminism' is what I

occasionally saw on the news about the women on Greenham common.

I was first enraged when I went to hospital to be fitted with the then 'latest' form of

contraception at the age of 35 years only to be sent home to get my husbands

signature of approval - my body his approval
Needless to say I

took the form home and 'forged' his signature it's not to say he wouldn't have signed

but like I said MY BODY HIS APPROVAL nah...not going to happen!

When I got divorced, although I was prepared to take out a loan to buy him out of the

family home (mainly for the sake of my daughters) and take on the mortgage I

found it extremely difficult, and was only able too when my Father acted as guarantor

Later, when I was in a position to replace the furniture my ex. had taken, and I was

employed and earning my own money I had great difficulty in obtaining credit

I thought I was doing well financially and when the company I was working for was

taken over and the 'new company' doubled my salary to that of my male colleagues

you can imagine how rich I felt! like winning the lottery

When the going was tough, as it often was and still is sometimes there are three things

I have come across which I remind myself to get me through

# I CAN and I WILL...

# What doesn't kill you makes you stronger...

# Problems are only solutions in disguise...

I had a good laugh at your last point because two men I know 'imported' that type of female

from the east, 'young and compliant' - and when they found their feet they were off like a

shot!!
And I have heard (via the grape vine) that my ex. now follows a regime that

suits and has to fit in with his new wife's lifestyle.
KHARMA?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by eletheia
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks_javascript:icon('
')

I had a good laugh at your last point because two men I know 'imported' that type of female

from the east, 'young and compliant' - and when they found their feet they were off like a

shot!!
And I have heard (via the grape vine) that my ex. now follows a regime that

suits and has to fit in with his new wife's lifestyle.
KHARMA?

I have a few asian friends that have went back to Cambodia for wives. Thier wives didn't run away once they got here?? must be the males fault. I think most women that are "in love" will do anything to stay with thier partner. Apparently these females just wanted a free ticket from thier old life to a new one.

Sounds like your ex is facing some Karma. Scared he will die alone I'm sure. So he puts up with a controlling female and succumbs to his fears.
No respect for males that bow down.

I'd rather die on my feet, than live a lifetime on my knees.
-Emiliano Zapata.

--Fits well with both males and females.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by resoe26

You said
"I am baffled as to why they take # But hey, whatever makes them happy

I suppose. I just can tell they aren't happy"

Can I ask you where you got your qualifications in 'mind reading' i'm really interested as

I think it could be very useful to me!

It is my experience no one stays any length of time where they are not happy or at the

very least content, and then there are people who are happy being miserable ( you know

getting the sympathy vote ) my gran was one of those people.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   

reply to post by resoe26

You said
"I am baffled as to why they take # But hey, whatever makes them happy

I suppose. I just can tell they aren't happy"

Can I ask you where you got your qualifications in 'mind reading' i'm really interested as

I think it could be very useful to me!

It is my experience no one stays any length of time where they are not happy or at the

very least content, and then there are people who are happy being miserable ( you know

getting the sympathy vote ) my gran was one of those people.

I can mind read these folks because I have known the majority of them for nearly my entire life. I only have a few friends that I view as family, the rest are aquaintances. The ones I do know, hell, I can tell what they are thinking.
Plus, us scorpios are known for mind reading.

-And yeah I know what you mean. Lots of folks looking for sympathy votes.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by resoe26

# "Your Asian friends going back to Cambodia for wives"......

Hmmm....could be a clue there somewhere same ethnicity, same culture ,same traditions,

same expectations?

# So the most women that are "in love" will do anything to stay with their partner

Does that exceptional trait apply to MEN too or is it just a woman thing?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   

reply to post by resoe26

# "Your Asian friends going back to Cambodia for wives"......

Hmmm....could be a clue there somewhere same ethnicity, same culture ,same traditions,

same expectations?

# So the most women that are "in love" will do anything to stay with their partner

Does that exceptional trait apply to MEN too or is it just a woman thing?

Yes, there is a clue there, did you find it?

Of course men do the same.
But is marriage/relationships not about compromise?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   

I absolutely made a poor choice in husband at the age of 20 years old. Are you saying I committed a crime and therefore must spend the rest of my life in a prison, being beaten everyday?

Pedophiles are given protection. I wasn't! Thank God, Feminism gave me choices and the opportunity to escape.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   

I absolutely made a poor choice in husband at the age of 20 years old. Are you saying I committed a crime and therefore must spend the rest of my life in a prison, being beaten everyday?

Pedophiles are given protection. I wasn't! Thank God, Feminism gave me choices and the opportunity to escape.

Tired of Control Freaks

I hope you called the cops.
Did you start some of the fights though?

Edit:
ps not trying to start some #.

Just saying, if feminism did anything good, then thats about it. Allowed women to move on from a terrible marriage.
edit on 22-1-2013 by resoe26 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

You are being ridiculous - of course I would not want to see men treated the way woman have been treated for centuries..

I am no advocate of the idea that my rights can only be protected by taking away the rights of others.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

You are being ridiculous - of course I would not want to see men treated the way woman have been treated for centuries..

I am no advocate of the idea that my rights can only be protected by taking away the rights of others.

Tired of Control Freaks

Hey what is that coming this way from out in left field?

Where did you get this idea from?

EDIT
As to the link I provided I was specifically talking of property rights IDK why that other poster started going on and on about equal pay and taking a loan out so they could take both the house and kids from the father.
edit on 22-1-2013 by FriedBabelBroccoli because: 101

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I always laugh when I read posts that advocate going back in time to some better (or optimal) state of being that existed in the past.

It's the classic conservative conundrum. For amusement, get a small group of conservatives together and get a debate going about which point in the past, things were the best. Then stand back and watch them rip each other apart.

What always confuses me, is if your ideas are so great why do you have to force them on the whole of society? A great idea should be self-evident and should take off on it's own --right?
edit on 22-1-2013 by InverseLookingGlass because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join