It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where is the outrage? Truth about 'fake' foods; Russia bans U.S. meat

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy
I just seen a report coming out of Ireland that said they have found traces of horse meat in what is supposed to be beef patties
Out of the 27 that they tested, 10 of them came back positive. I know that it isn't McRibs etc but it just goes to show that we don't know squat about what is going into our food.

Is this beef with horse meat found in the supermarkets, or is this coming directly from farms?

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

So far, i think the reports are concentrating on just one large supplier.

Silvercrest meats or something like that is the name.

They supply loads of restaurants and supermarkets...although i doubt farms would be flogging anything but their own meat.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysterX

The thing about McD's, at least in the UK (it's cheaper in the US) is it is actually bloody expensive for a family to eat there.

For the price you pay for a meal for four, you could literally feed your family healthy, tasty, wholesome and nutricious food for at least 2 days, often 3 days...i know, i'm the cook in my house, and i do the food shopping (my Mrs would burn a salad)

I suppose people just can't be bothered to cook for themselves anymore, so they eat crap from these junk food shops instead.

The meat glue thing is real BTW...i bought a few steaks from a well known supermarket here (begins and ends in an A) and it was NOT a real steak, the meat grain was going in all different unnatural directions and could be pulled apart at the join.

Won't be buying our steaks there anymore.

McDonald's isn't so cheap here in the states anymore. Meals used to be $3 to 4 bucks that are now $6 or 7. I went through drive thru a while back and ordered two meals and two happy meals and it was nearly $24. I was pretty surprised and asked the cashier if I was at Applebee's!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysterX

So far, i think the reports are concentrating on just one large supplier.

Silvercrest meats or something like that is the name.

They supply loads of restaurants and supermarkets...although i doubt farms would be flogging anything but their own meat.

Well that's good anyways. If you don't want horse meat for dinner you still have alternatives...the good ole' farmer.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Are fruits and vegetables so expensive over there that people have to turn to replacing real meals with fast food? Also I think lot of people are brainwashed by the whole "organic" hype, it doesn't have to be organic apple, or organic lettuce, it is still better than eating McDonald.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by adnachiel21

Yeah, but everything is sprayed with pesticides, or genetically modified, or injected with growth hormones, how do you know anything you eat is real anymore?

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Well fruits and vegetables are obviously real, you can't make a fake pepper, unlike a fake burger.My point is, that is still better to eat non organic fruits and vegetables than fast food.And one more thing, some vegetables are very resilient and don't need any pesticides, for example carrot, potatoes and coleslaw.It is about individually making conscious choices about what you put in your body even on a tight budget, there will always be companies trying to pass some kind of # to consumers.
edit on 17-1-2013 by adnachiel21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by adnachiel21

Well fruits and vegetables are obviously real, you can't make a fake pepper, unlike a fake burger.My point is, that is still better to eat non organic fruits and vegetables than fast food.And one more thing, some vegetables are very resilient and don't need any pesticides, for example carrot, potatoes and coleslaw.It is about individually making conscious choices about what you put in your body even on a tight budget, there will always be companies trying to pass some kind of # to consumers.
edit on 17-1-2013 by adnachiel21 because: (no reason given)

Agreed

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
well as for me and my wife - we tried being vegan for 3 years - but it made her crazy, i thought it was kinda energizing - so back to meat - but only yak and buffalo that we buy from a guy we know and fish (hopefully calamari is calamari - not pig bunghole substitute).
might want to check out these movies - "food inc." and "super size me".

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
This so so sad that people do this to shave a few cents and threaten people's health..It just goes to show that we live on a planet full of greed driven people.. I stopped mc donalds so long ago, but maybe once in a blue moon and there nothing around besides mc dicks and i'm drunk and hungary i'll sadly have a burger.. but maybe thats like twice a year. But, I will admit Meat is pricy for the "good" stuff and "Organic" heck, I pay about 13$ for a nice Rib eye steak only 0.330 k/g. It's getting so pricy, for cheaper cuts of course it's cheaper but I never have that stuff.. Just to eat healthy in general is so pricy, I can hardly afford it my self. But, I do try and eat more fruits and all. I guess, I'm glad to live in Canada..most of our food is still real?? I hope..Well I get local fruit and local fish from fish farms..

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

About Whole Foods, I used to hold them to a higher standard and, for the most part, still do. My wife likes to shop there but a while back she also liked to shop at Trader Joes because they have some unique products or marketing etc.. She used to like stocking up on some frozen veggies from there and I was looking at them and realized that TJ's frozen veggies and a lot of food items there had come from China. We immediately stopped buying produce, fresh or frozen, from there and started reading all of their labels carefully. This had to be about 5 or 6 years ago. This past year we were shopping the Whole Foods in our area and I happened to notice that some of their produce had come from China, labeled as organic even! This really opened my eyes since I thought they were purchasing locally to promote fresh and the whole carbon credits of moving good around the world etc... throw in the fact that even without pesticides (if they coudl prove China Organics didn't use them) their soil qualities would be unknown and possibly afffected by toxic rain if they are anywhere near the smog producing areas of the country, I mean the runoff into the fields might not be "clean" and the list goes on. How many children picked my veggies? What kind of wage are the pickers getting if I am paying top-dollar for it? Wait a minute, doesn't the US grow these things? Well, I now have a bunch of garden boxes in place and grew my first crops last year... I still have to supplement during the year with produce form my local farmers market and plan my meals around whatever surprises I find there..... I think this is how my grandparents did it growiing up.... hmmm.

Link to Whole Foods Article If you are interested.
edit on 17-1-2013 by evc1shop because: spelling corrections

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Yeah, but everything is sprayed with pesticides, or genetically modified, or injected with growth hormones, how do you know anything you eat is real anymore?

When you eat a range fed beef steak or burger from a ranch that raises em proper, you will know the difference. These farms don't really raise a lot and their meat is in high demand. The difference in price is enormous. They allow the cattle to grow at their own leisurely pace until mature, instead of accelerated growth with hormones. They let them free range instead of cooping them up into stalls where they stand in their own feces and pass disease amongst each other. That is what requires all the vaccines and pesticide for disease control.

The diet is key too. Cattle are "herb"-avores and will eat what they should if allowed into a grassy pasture. The farmer saves costs because the cows are his lawn mowers and he doesn't have to raise fee or feed them grains or even other cows. Its a profit motivated industry on a mega scale.

Good luck finding a pound of the real deal.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by jibajaba

Excellent film. Highly recommended... "Supersize Me".

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
This makes Horses meat in burgers in Tesco's UK look GOOD!
Soon the rest of the world will stop buying every thing from US.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The MEAT GLUE issue is sickening.....
The food industry, (in fact most industries) these days have the customer right at the bottom of their priority list.
PROFIT is just the wrong motive...........human enterprise is based on a poor foundation, which in crumbling will kill or weaken us all....................
Reason is abandoned for a quick buck.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
My girly is from Kazakhstan and she says horse meat is delicious and low fat and much of it comes from US horses slaughtered in Canada and Mexico. Now since 2011 it can come directly from the US to US customers as well. Which is good because horses like everything pass on and can be used for food.

She also told me they had a speaker out there when she was attending a conference from our meat industry and he said we don't use hormones to which everyone pretty much laughed since they feed there livestock the same diets and they are half as large.

Just an FYI the girl spent 10 years here with an incredibly well paying job so when she says something is good she has had the benefit of many great meals so it's not just out of necessity.
edit on 17-1-2013 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0mage
i have a very acute sense of smell.. and what i smell at and around these fast food places is none other than raw sewerage.

Anyone who has ever smelled raw sewage knows that this is nonsense.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I am always a fan of food awareness! Thanks for this thread. I think food is one of the big issues that people can easily make an impact on their nation -- by choosing not to buy crap, and finding alternatives. Because stores will lose money, they will bend to the will of the consumer and start sourcing food the customers will buy.

Speaking of outrage though, probably every processed food is not healthy for you one way or another:

Corn: mostly GMO used in processed foods (and a LOT of other things)

Soybean: mostly GMO used in processed foods (a LOT of things)

Wheat: most commercial wheat is "dwarf wheat", which provides little to no nutritional benefit. It makes people feel full though...

Sugar: Mostly refined (processed to white sugar), provides energy short term and goes to fat (like most everything on this list, as they are usually stripped of their natural properties and then chemically "fortified" to look good on the label and help with consistency/preservation.)

Rice: This is regional, but it is looking to suffer the same issues as dwarf wheat when in commercial production.

... In my opinion it really is best to know food. Cook your own from scratch. Don't buy any processed foods if possible.

Just my opinion as usual =D

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

It is in the supermarkets Tesco, Iceland and Aldi to name but a few. Beef burgers were found to contain up to 30% horse meat and traces of pig DNA which is obviously has a religious impact on Jewish people.

www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

ATTENTION~~

The name-calling and bickering stops NOW!!!

We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

Those who continue should know You are responsible for your own posts.
and should be ready for consequences.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join