It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death Approaches

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Last night, on my way home, I found myself behind a slow-moving van.

It was inconvenient, and I became frustrated. I’d had a tough day at work. It was raining and cold, nasty weather. I wanted to be home, fixing dinner, and relaxing with my family.

The van would speed up between houses, then slow down again. I finally realized the driver was looking at house numbers.

When he turned on my road, I wanted to scream with frustration. Would I ever get home?

He stopped in the road, peered at houses, then began to back up. I reversed myself, and then sat fuming while he made up his mind. At last, he turned into a house a few doors down mine.

It was then that I saw the sign on the side of the van. Blair’s Funeral Home.

Just seeing those three words gave me an immediate attitude adjustment. Here I was, griping because dinner would be fifteen minutes late, fuming because I wanted to put my feet up and relax with the family.

And in the house a few doors down, someone was saying a forever goodbye to a loved one.

How petty my concerns were….yet how many of us go through the day with just such an attitude? How many of us truly appreciate the here and now?

The grave awaits us all, my friends. It’s coming. The question, I suppose, is how we spend the time we have left?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
A toast;

to being here. Now.

And to boobs.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by streetfightingman

Your post just made my day!!!! Thanks for the laugh!

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Great post! That's why I never take anything for granted and try to have patience. You just never know. Thanks for sharing your experience!

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
Great post! That's why I never take anything for granted and try to have patience. You just never know. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Well said, my friend. Well said.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Having patience is a true virtue. You were given a very valuable lesson.

S&F

edit on 1/18/2013 by sled735 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Thank you for sharing that with us. You have a good heart. As you mentioned, it is our destiny that we all eventually take that journey. You realized that we are not a universe unto ourselves. We all matter....we are all an important part of the puzzle, this game called life.

When things like that happen to me, like what you experienced, I also stop and think...about all the important things....the family and loved ones...wanna get home an hug em til they squeel! A day like that....well, watching the sunset seems suddenly more important than usual. Watching the squirrels and birds and stopping to smell the roses, as they say, suddenly takes on new meaning and we then realize too, how precious and special the gift of life really is for us and all things. Don't colors seem brighter and everything just feels a little more special?. On that day of realization...it really is a good day to be alive. Hugs, ^j^

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   

I always think of this when I consider just how short a time we actually have here;

I realised about a year ago life is just perspective, that it's what you make of it. It's about finding those moments and being happy with them. I always say to people, 'relax. If the world ended tomorrow would you worry so much?' It usually falls on deaf ears, but occasionally sinks in.

Or you can just go with old, 'here for a good time, not a long time.'

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
not to mention the fact that the road is the last place you should be in a hurry, particularly given the weather conditions. seems the majority of cars out there these days are in an inexplicable rush. and very many of these hurried people, daily, earn their own rides in the funeral van.

SLOW THE HELL DOWN and BACK OFF, FOLKS!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

You are very right, and another good lesson I obviously needed to learn.

Thank you.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Yes true take nothing for granted. I once was behind a slow moving car around 10 or so years ago. I could feel the anger building up inside me, After around 10 mins or so the car stopped so i pulled up to the side effing away with foul language only to discover with horror they were 2 nuns inside!. My attitude changed exactly the same way!. Theses days im more patient thankfully

top topics

join