It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY Senate passes 'landmark' gun control laws

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by macman

What?

You suggested that Mexican Citizens have any right to petition the US Govt for more guns laws, due to trafficking.

How about they petition the US Govt to stop it's own trafficking, instead of suggesting that the people ened more laws.

But, they are not US citizens and they can suck it.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman

reply to post by macman

What?

You suggested that Mexican Citizens have any right to petition the US Govt for more guns laws, due to trafficking.

How about they petition the US Govt to stop it's own trafficking, instead of suggesting that the people ened more laws.

But, they are not US citizens and they can suck it.

That is not what I suggested.

I said it's logical for them to petition our government to enforce trafficking laws because it directly affects them, which is exactly what they did.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Ah, so now it is only a matter of deciding who does and who does not have "mental issues"... Imagine you have a daughter with a very violent and dangerous ex-husband who abused her during the marriage. Since the divorce she has gotten a restraining order, and a firearm to keep her safe, and more urgently perhaps, to make her FEEL safe. She has not been able to feel that way for a long time... And still is not fully secure in her surroundings because that's how bad he traumatized her, your darling little angel. But at least now she has a little bit of a sense of security, and more importantly, HE knows she has armed herself and practiced most weekends at the gun range so she knows how to use it.

It's no longer worth it for him to harass her. She begins to go to counseling when she feels comfortable enough to talk about the things that happened in those 7 years of hell. Through the people she meets, she is recommended to see a psychiatrist to help her work out some things. He diagnoses her with some mental issue and her gun is confiscated... She was 100% honest with the good doctor, believing that would allow him to help her, and also because she had just began to learn to trust people again, especially men, and she told herself that he only wanted to help and it was ok because he was one of the good ones. But now, even though she has never hurt anyone or even had so much as a speeding ticket, she has been deemed by the state to be unfit to own a firearm...

The worst part was her ex husband caught wind of her situation. She was a sitting duck to this man's twisted desires once again, and since he never sought mental help and was lucky enough never to get caught doing anything too serious, he had his right to bear arms still... She had to move back in with her parents at age 31, because she knew they would protect her, and her younger brother lived nearby. But then, 6 months after the first law was passed, there was another shooting, at a Walmart.

The mainstream media outlets were telling a tragic story of a mental patient who got released to his parents custody after getting better, and while he still was not allowed to own a firearm as he was still considered to have "mental issues", his parents owned 2 firearms. Since he was not a convicted felon, this was not a problem. Reportedly he took these two weapons to the Walmart with him the day of the shooting. New laws had to be passed. People with "mental issues" were now to be treated the same as felons, and they could not legally live in the same residence where firearms were present.

She had to either move out of her parents home, or subject her entire family to a potential attack from her ex since he would know they cannot be legally armed. She moves out, hoping he won't find her. She has problems sleeping again like before... Every bump in the night is him, drunk again and horny, or maybe just angry...alcohol always makes him angry, its just a matter of when.

One night the phone rings, and a creepy voice on the other end starts asking weird random questions... Clearly getting much joy from her torment. It was him, talking in a weird voice..at times babbling incoherently, but never losing that tone in his voice...that evil sounding tone... he must be really really drunk. She immediately Hung up and called 911, and they said they would send someone to check it out...she hangs up the phone, feeling only a little better about it.

Before she can fully ascertain her feelings, the phone rings again... It's him again. He's mad that she hung up on him. She cries out "leave me alooooone!!!!" And hangs up the phone again. She starts looking out her front window, hoping the police will arrive soon... And also keeping an eye out for his big red pickup truck with KC lights... The phone rings again... She picks up and says "what do you want!?!?!" It's the 911 operator she just spoke to, and it sounded very urgent "Ma'am, you need to get out of there right away!!! The calls are coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE!!!!"

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
It is no wonder when the states constitution says,

Section 1. The defense and protection of the state and of the United States is an obligation of all persons within the state. The legislature shall provide for the discharge of this obligation and for the maintenance and regulation of an organized militia.

Current NY State Constitution

And the 1821 NY Constitution,

§ 5. [Militia to be maintained; who may be excused from service.]—The militia of this state shall at all times hereafter, be armed and disciplined, aid in readiness for service; but all such inhabitants of this state, of any religious denomination whatever, as from scruples of conscience may be averse to bearing arms, shall be excused therefrom by paying to the state an equivalent in money; and the legislature shall provide, by law, for the collection of such equivalent, to be estimated according to the expense, in time and money, of an ordinary able-bodied militia-man.

1821 NY Constitution

Looks like its always and forever been a nanny state situation, nowhere could I find any second amendment language nor any that spoke of enumerated rights or unalienable rights whatsoever - bunch of control freaks back then and its only gotten worse since.

I moved the heck out back in 79" and never once regretted it.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Well, then it is not a relaxing of the laws, as the Govt really doesn't abide by the laws.
The law statement is perceived as the people being enforced upon.

Now, state that the Mexican Citizens petitioned the US Govt to stop programs like the unlawful and deadly Fast & Furious, then that is an exact.

But, they can still suck it, as they should take care of their won crap before coming to the US for anything.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Hmmm, well now, I'm sure all the criminals, gang members, ect, are going to be beating down doors to do the right thing and register their guns.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

Pure ignorance. The citizens are trying to take care of their own crap... but it has a side effect of getting them killed and partly that is due to the guns the local crime lords get their hands on due to our ineffective trafficking enforcement. It's our guns getting in their criminals hands... that makes it partially our problem.
edit on 15-1-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
And here on Long Island there was a suspected gun at a school today, and the cops swarmed in, helicopters, etc. They are now saying it might have been a toy gun. And I've seen people saying "Thank God for this new law today" after hearing or reading about the high school on lockdown here. I was going to say "Good timing" for this incident, but then realized that this literally happens every single day all over the US.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The whole issue of raising mental issues as the cause of violence IS NO WAY MEANT to enforce gun control on them.

NO!

The reason for mental issues raised is so that WE, mankind will be responsible to help our fellow humans who have mental issues, either born with it or happened over time, to be REHABILITATED SO THAT HE/SHE CAN REJOIN SOCIETY AND CONTRIBUTE TOWARDS THE NATION.

It is NEVER meant as a blanket ban use BY TYRANTS upon those whom are suffering from mental illness, or simply label ANYONE as mentally ill and curb his rights.

The message needs to be sent out to all.

Stopping the mentally ill from guns WILL NOT see the end of violence, for guns are only tools, and there more tools than guns to perpetuate violence.

May policy makers bloody wake up and not take the easy way out of its responsibilities to society, by honestly and sincerely DEALING with the ROOT cause of violence, and not band aids stupidities!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I can already see where this is headed. TPTB know...people aren't going to just "hand them over"...therefore, what will probably happen, is TPTB will make those that have registered weapons turn them in, or face prosecution; with a STIFF penalty for non-compliance. Then, after that happens, the only problem TPTB will have, will be those that purchased their weapons "illegally" via the black-market.

I also wonder, how many registered gun owners have a "physician" and are taking "prescription drugs"? Those are the people they will classify as: "mentally ill or unstable".
Easy prey!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

i now see how Obamacare ties into all of this. Anyone prescribed anti depressants or antianxietyy drugs would be considered emotionally unstable. Obamacare will keep track of all medical records.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by BlowinSmoke

This is sadly very true. I know someone who has two guns, and takes medication. This person is the most gentle man, very responsible, hard-worker, helps out those in need, etc. Would never hurt a fly, and doesn't have any mental issues that would cause him to just "snap" and go on a rampage.

I know someone else who is... well, who knows what he is. He has some severe mental illness(es) that have caused him to lash out at family, with a knife stabbing the walls screaming, because he is addicted to gambling. He also doesn't leave the house (In their mid 20s), have even one friend, leave his room, and even will lock himself in his room on holidays when the whole family is over. The cops have been called twice already when he has freaked out, and the psychiatric department of the hospital where they sent him one of those times sent him home saying they saw nothing wrong with him. After that, was the time he grabbed a knife and was stabbing the walls screaming that he needed money.

He takes no medication. He refuses to take anything. And I bet he would have an easy time getting a gun, compared to the first person. It actually terrifies me that he can buy a gun if he wanted to.. absolutely terrifies me. I am very worried about what he will do to his family one day.. This is the kind of person I could see snapping and going out on a rampage. Thank God there is no gun in that house, because I wouldn't put it past him to get it and.. do something.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
www.infowars.com...

A New York State Senator has lambasted the passing of what is being called the nation’s toughest gun control bill, saying that it was introduced during the middle of the night, and that members were forced to vote on the legislation when they had not even had a chance to read it.

Doesn't that sound painfully close to how obama care got passed, vote on it before you can see what's in it? What's got my warning lights flashing is what is the big rush to push this through? If I can find it, I'll post it, that cuomo waved? the three day review period to allow the public to read the bill. Again, why the rush? I feel there's more going on behind the scenes that we haven't seen yet.
edit on 15-1-2013 by Chance321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

reply to post by macman

Pure ignorance. The citizens are trying to take care of their own crap... but it has a side effect of getting them killed and partly that is due to the guns the local crime lords get their hands on due to our ineffective trafficking enforcement. It's our guns getting in their criminals hands... that makes it partially our problem.
edit on 15-1-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

No, they are not OUR firearms that the 0bama admin allowed to walk under Fast & Furious.
That is all on 0bama hands, not the people.

I tell you what. As soon as the illegals stop coming in through the southern border, then we can talk about firearms going in the opposite direction.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alchemst7
reply to post by Dustytoad

i now see how Obamacare ties into all of this. Anyone prescribed anti depressants or antianxietyy drugs would be considered emotionally unstable. Obamacare will keep track of all medical records.

This is only about 30% of the country.

Everyone I know either has been on anti-depressants at one time, or are on them now........sheesh

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
They continue to take the spotlight off Obama on this issue but he was the one who went to bed with the UN and their targeted GUN BAN.

Just like they ignored Ron Paul in the pre-election times, we should ignore that anyone is responsible for this lack of responsibility towards the Second Amendment and remember to see this for what it is and the future repercussions of what it stands for.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrincessTofu
From what I'm reading, it now gives shrinks whose patients are talking about constant fantasies of killing people and the resources to do so, finally the legal ability to report it.

Granted, it could be a slippery slope or it could be a huge step in the right direction. Maybe one or more of the recent massacre freaks reported their intentions and desires to their shrinks. One can only assume the feds have grilled the shrinks greatly.. perhaps.. and this is crazy... some of them could have been prevented if the doctors' hands weren't tied.
edit on 15-1-2013 by PrincessTofu because: typo

Well that would be sensible to assume that`s what it means but that`s not what it says.

requires reports of the mentally ill who pose a threat to others with illegal guns.

Does it mean that you don`t have to report mentally ill people who own illegal guns but don`t pose a threat?
Does it mean that you don`t have to report mentally ill people who pose a threat but own legal guns?
Does it mean that you don`t have to report people who own illegal guns and pose a threat but are deemed to not be mentally ill?

Does it mean that a person has to meet all three of those criteria (mentally ill, illegal gun,pose a threat) in order to require a report?
Does it mean that a report is required if a person meets one or more of those criteria?

It just seems like the way it is worded leaves it open to interpretation by the state to use the law in ways that it might not have been intended to be used.i`m sure that`s exactly why they worded it that way so that they could get it passed without raising too many eyebrows from the general public.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Hey New yorkers ?

Good luck calling 911 and have the police to come save you.

Pat yourselves on the back NY job well done!

not.

That stupidity is coming nation wide.....................Zeig Heil.
edit on 15-1-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad

Next step.. Add new definitions and diagnosis for mental illness..

Agreed.

Against the government? Oh well you must be mentally ill then. Don't agree with the obvious sanity of politicians? That's you committed then.

I learnt once that years ago, a distant relative of mine used to get up to mischief when he was drunk as a teenager. He'd pinch a bike to get himself home then take it back later. He got arrested for theft a couple of times for this. Third time, they said "You keep doing it so there must be something wrong with you... you must be mentally ill".

He was committed to a mental institution, apparently he was in there until he died about the age of 60.

So yes, even in this modern age, actually....especially in this modern age, i can see them widening the rules on what is mentally ill.

Wasn't there a new "disorder" that had something to do with challenging authority or something like that?

CX.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join