It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY Senate passes 'landmark' gun control laws

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I live in this nazi state and they have effectively made 6 of my rifles a misdemeanor to own because I can load more than 7 rounds. I hate to inform them but 1 is just as deadly as 8. And as for a pistol grip who needs one that's why I have but plates and a shoulder. Well now they are illegal so who is gunna be the first to come and get them? I do not like the thought of what will happen when they come but be aware the 2 things in this world I will kill and die for is my family and my rights.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Screw the Sate of New York. Actually, I prefer a bunch of, actually all, left wing air heads who live in a fantasy world without benifit of arms....I feel safer....somehow

Lets go one step further, support the "blue states" in their lemming-like, path to becoming well-kept pets. It just makes it easier to address them later. Those New Yorkers who don't like the moves in-state can emmigrate to a more "liberated" red state and start anew....

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
www.9wsyr.com...

new gun laws have passed. the story is above, same as op but updated now!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Let me look at my crystal ball for a sec...Seeing a future headline... Coming in clearer...

"Gun crime in New York skyrockets 38%"

I'm a damn psychic.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

from your link

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - Provisions in a sweeping gun control bill before the New York Legislature: -Further restrict assault weapons to define them by a single feature, such as a pistol grip. Current law requires two features. -Make the unsafe storage of assault weapons a misdemeanor. -Mandate a police registry of assault weapons. -Establish a state registry for all private sales, with a background check done through a licensed dealer for a fee, excluding sales to immediate relatives. -Require a therapist who believes a mental health patient made a credible threat to use a gun illegally to report the threat to a mental health director who would then have to report serious threats to the state Department of Criminal Justice Services. A patient's gun could be taken from him or her. -Ban the Internet sale of assault weapons. -Require stores that sell ammunition to register with the state, run background checks on buyers of bullets and keep an electronic database of bullet sales. -Restrict ammunition magazines to seven bullets, from the current national standard of 10. Current owners of higher-capacity magazines would have a year to sell them out of state. Someone caught with eight or more bullets in a magazine could face a misdemeanor charge. -Require that stolen guns be reported within 24 hours. Otherwise, the owner would face a possible misdemeanor. -Increase sentences for gun crimes including for taking a gun on school property. -Increase penalties for shooting first responders, called the "Webster provision." Two firefighters were killed when shot by a person who set a fire in the western New York town of Webster last month. The crime would be punishable by life in prison without parole. -Limit the state records law to protect handgun owners from being identified publicly. The provision would allow a handgun permit holder a means to maintain privacy under the Freedom of Information law. -Require pistol permit holders or those who will be registered as owners of assault rifles to be re certified at least every five years to make sure they are still legally able to own the guns.
so not just a list of gun owners and permit holders but they want to keep electronic records of all purchases of ammunition too and it seems they are also not grandfathering in magazines as well? only part of this that makes sense to me is the "webster provision"

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

I think you are confusing good manners with sanity. If loud incoherent ranting were grounds to disqualify someone from owning guns, then that would include a lot of politicians, car dealers, police, TV pitchmen, drill sergeants, coaches, TV preachers, and middle management people.

I'd be willing to bet that a lot of serial killers were soft spoken and well mannnered, though.

But, if you want to keep guns out of the hands of potentially insane people, one place to start would be politicians in states with strict gun control laws that have high rates of gun related crimes, who think that more strict gun laws will reduce gun related crimes. There is definately something wrong with their thought process.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I see a way around the pistol grip part of the law. SImply modify the guns to mirror their bolt counterparts with no pistol grips. Its easy to do i imagine. And gunsmiths will make a killing(pun intended) selling modifications to the owners of said pistol grip weapons.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Hey! Mental and Crazy People! If you like your guns, DO NOT seek professional help for your condition, and then you can get around the new law and KEEP your guns!!!

Great Job! New York! Now, all of the psychos, and paranoid delusionals who might own guns, WON'T get any help!!!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
U.S. constitution article 1 subsection 9

No bill of attainder or ex post facto shall be passed.

Dear governor of New York,
What you just tried to do is illegal. You cannot make my legally purchased and possessed guns I already own illegal. I owned them before your "law" and I will own them long after your law is repealed.

This attempt at the second amendment should be viewed as an abuse of power and he should be impeached immediately. How can you run a state and not know the constitution? Ex post facto was a sore subject for our forefathers hence it's inclusion in the first article they wrote.

Know your role governor, because if you don't there are others who do.
edit on 1/15/2013 by Immune because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt
Hey! Mental and Crazy People! If you like your guns, DO NOT seek professional help for your condition, and then you can get around the new law and KEEP your guns!!!

Great Job! New York! Now, all of the psychos, and paranoid delusionals who might own guns, WON'T get any help!!!

Does NY State care? That's not why they are passing this. That's just in there to "address the problem".

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt

That`s exactly right, they may be crazy but they aren`t stupid, they now know that if they try to seek help their guns will be taken away.That will guarantee that unstable gun owners will never seek help, they will just gradually get crazier until they finally snap and kill a bunch of people. It won`t happen right away but give it a few years and the cases of crazy people going on killing sprees is going to rise at an alarming rate.
maybe that`s exactly what they want to happen so that they can create even stricter gun laws in 5 or 10 years.

They were sitting around thinking, you know these crazy people aren`t going on killing sprees often enough, we need to stop them from getting mental health help so that we can accelerate our agenda to ban all guns.
Glad I don`t live in new york
edit on 15-1-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Well, if I were a criminal in NY I would certainly feel safer. I'd know that my intended victims who just happen to have guns, are most likely going to have only 7 bullets.

Meanwhile, I'd still have 17 rounds in my magazine... since you know... I'm a criminal and don't care much about the law............

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I'm ashamed to be a New Yorker today...I will not comply with these unjust "laws".

edit on 15-1-2013 by wormtongue because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
It was Cuomo and the downstate liberals from the city. People in upstate for the most part are conservative and don't want this. I'd definitely join any effort to overturn these joke laws or to have Cuomo removed. Take note everyone! He aims to share his brand of politics with the entire nation.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

Wow! Great find! Thank You!

do you think you can point me to a source where it says the U.S aided these nations in the establishment of communism.. or that it was hijacked in 1900? (i'm sorry, having trouble finding them)

edit on 15-1-2013 by TheIllusiveMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Whew! What a relief.

New Yorkers are finally safe.

Just breaking......CRIMINALS AGREE TO FOLLOW NEW YORK LAW

The test is clear. The commies got what they wanted, how they wanted it.

They wrote it with glee.

Now the world can see for themselves the effectiveness of gun control.

Prepare for the next slaughter of undefended and unarmed innocents.

The old boy was right, the truth contained in his words shall never change....

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Out Of Control

My personal opinions...

Hysterical, ill-conceived, hasty, overreaching and heavy-handed legislation like this is the greatest impediment to "sensible gun control" by far -- greater than everything else combined.

Aside from inviting constitutional challenges on several different grounds, and not just the Second Amendment, bad laws like these serve only to polarize thinking on the subject and discourage compromise.

Whatever anyone's views on gun control may be, irresponsible, punitive legislation like this works against them. Governor Cuomo and those who supported this legislation have established themselves as being in contempt of standing law and rational measures to combat gun violence.

It's a disgrace. There's nothing "sensible" about it at all.

I personally think there are reasonable limits on what sorts of weapons American citizens should possess and do believe "sensible gun control" -- without offense to our right to keep and bear arms -- is possible. Unfortunately, intolerable acts such as these make the case that if you give these people an inch, they will take a mile.

Every. Damn. Time.

Governor Cuomo is telling not just gun owners, not just all New Yorkers, but all Americans that he and his cronies in both parties do not deserve the public trust, and have no qualms about abusing the law to further their own ambitions.

I pray the good people of New York State will see the handwriting on the wall and act quickly to send these irresponsible opportunists packing as soon as possible.

In the meantime, I must abandon any hope that compromise on gun control can somehow be achieved. As long as extremists like these choose to brandish their power like uncontrolled weapons, there can be no compromise whatsoever.

Welcome to the insanity of bipolar politics: for or against, no middle ground.

I pray the electorate will remember these outrages in 2014.

edit on 1/15/2013 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Immune

good point you bring up on that
en.wikipedia.org...:_Limits_on_Congress

The next section of Article One provided limits on Congress's powers: The Migration or Importation of such Persons as any of the States now existing shall think proper to admit, shall not be prohibited by the Congress prior to the Year one thousand eight hundred and eight, but a Tax or duty may be imposed on such Importation, not exceeding ten dollars for each Person. The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it. No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed. No Capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid, unless in Proportion to the Census or Enumeration herein before directed to be taken.[61] No Tax or Duty shall be laid on Articles exported from any State. No Preference shall be given by any Regulation of Commerce or Revenue to the Ports of one State over those of another: nor shall Vessels bound to, or from, one State, be obliged to enter, clear, or pay Duties in another. No Money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law; and a regular Statement and Account of Receipts and Expenditures of all public Money shall be published from time to time. No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.
that seems to be the just of it but hopefully some one far more crafty then i can clarify if it applies to this new law or not

A bill of attainder is a law by which a person is immediately convicted without trial. An ex post facto law is a law which applies retroactively, punishing someone for an act that was only made criminal after it was done. The ex post facto clause does not apply to civil matters.[62]
can any one clarify what it means by does not apply to civil matters>?
edit on 15-1-2013 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Clause 3. No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed. A bill of attainder is a law that simply declares, by legislative fiat, that certain people are guilty of a crime and then imposes some kind of punishment upon them. In other words, it's a way for a legislature to act like judge and jury, convicting and punishing people without benefit of trial. Bills of attainder used to be used occasionally by the British Parliament; the American Founding Fathers viewed them as terrible violations of liberty and banned them from the United States. An ex post facto law is a law that retroactively criminalizes a certain act after it has already been committed. In other words, it would allow a person to be prosecuted for doing something that wasn't actually illegal yet at the time they did it. The framers of the Constitution viewed ex post facto laws, like bills of attainder, as blatant abuses of power and banned them.
found this that seems to further clarify the matter and it seems this kind of law is the exact thing the founding fathers did not want to have happen in the usa so im hoping the supreme court strikes this down like it did the dc hand gun ban and other unconstitutional gun laws that Illinois tried to pass
www.shmoop.com...

"The framers of the Constitution viewed ex post facto laws, like bills of attainder, as blatant abuses of power and banned them." from same source but bolded by my for emphasis

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Not sure if anyone knows about this yet, but there a petition here to impeach Gov. cuomo.
petitions.whitehouse.gov...< br /> If someone want to make a thread about this go ahead.
Also in the "Open Petitions" there's also a petition to repeal this gun control bill. We need more people to sign this, I didn't start the petition but I sure as blank agreed with and put in my vote.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join