It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY Senate passes 'landmark' gun control laws

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I have no idea why this is merely about Gun rights anymore though. This is an aggregate of
the entire destruction of the constitution which was already paved a long time ago, this
is the final gate

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by streetfightingman
reply to post by goou111

Who the heck are these "mental health officials" that's what I'd like to know

Probably some branch of the TSA...

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Kind of makes me want to move to NY.

I mean I wouldn't feel comfortable if my schizophrenic neighbor was able to purchase an AR-15 with extended mags.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by streetfightingman
reply to post by buni11687

I have no idea why this is merely about Gun rights anymore though. This is an aggregate of
the entire destruction of the constitution which was already paved a long time ago, this
is the final gate

What in the world are you talking about? How is this the "final gate"??? What is the final gate? Please educate me I am dying to know what in the world you are talking about.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Kind of makes me want to move to NY.

I mean I wouldn't feel comfortable if my schizophrenic neighbor was able to purchase an AR-15 with extended mags.

Hope you don't smoke, the taxes on cigarrettes are insane. 120.00 a carton last I heard.

Or like softdrinks over 16 oz's.

And are well off, but not too rich, with enough to live off comfortably with a high paying job, after you pay enormous taxes.

Oh, and eat low salt, low fat, and don't mind living in a Nanny State that thinks they have the right to tell you how to do everything.

Or, are unemployed and looking for a Nanny State.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I still do not understand why the law abiding citizen is being punished for crimes we didn't commit. Glad this is in New York. Yankees. What can you expect?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
I still do not understand why the law abiding citizen is being punished for crimes we didn't commit. Glad this is in New York. Yankees. What can you expect?

Expect? Well if they put more restrictions on guns then there wont be a problem will there? I hear they will be passing some sort of "anti-murder" law soon, now THAT will solve the whole people killing problem wont it?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

I heard about this. It's fascinating how smart and generous our law makers are. Anti murder laws are exactly what America needs. Thank you for refreshing my memory, and using your intelligence for the betterment of mankind!

edit on 15-1-2013 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
DP.
edit on 15-1-2013 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   
From what I'm reading, it now gives shrinks whose patients are talking about constant fantasies of killing people and the resources to do so, finally the legal ability to report it.

Granted, it could be a slippery slope or it could be a huge step in the right direction. Maybe one or more of the recent massacre freaks reported their intentions and desires to their shrinks. One can only assume the feds have grilled the shrinks greatly.. perhaps.. and this is crazy... some of them could have been prevented if the doctors' hands weren't tied.
edit on 15-1-2013 by PrincessTofu because: typo

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
You have to be out of your mind to live in new york state anyway. So the reporting law should cover everyone anyway.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I dunno if that has been said before in this thread... If so I apologize, if not, well.

Here goes:

There is no Doctor/Patient priv when it comes to someone saying they are going to harm themselves or another person, the courts have upheld time and time again that it is the responsibility of the doctor to report such threats to the proper law enforcement agency for review. This rule HAS ALWAYS BEEN ON THE BOOKS, but you're all upset about it now?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
This is bad news for folks like me.

I take Amitriptyline HCL for diabetic neuropathy.
Of course, the drug is also used for clinical depression which I do not suffer from.
I can see where a little word tweaking here and there, and, now, I'm classified as unfit to keep and bear arms.

Me, and, every other person who takes this class of drugs for other than mental health issues.

This sucks bigtime. And, not in the good way...

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mike U.
This is bad news for folks like me.

I take Amitriptyline HCL for diabetic neuropathy.
Of course, the drug is also used for clinical depression which I do not suffer from.
I can see where a little word tweaking here and there, and, now, I'm classified as unfit to keep and bear arms.

Me, and, every other person who takes this class of drugs for other than mental health issues.

This sucks bigtime. And, not in the good way...

And not only people like you on medication...

ANY Veteran out there who seeks help for PTSD-related issues will now be classed as having mental issues and may find themselves on a list and excluded from firearms ownership in New York state altogether. Sad thing is, once this becomes known,Vets will avoid seeking help which will lead to further problems down the line. So much for respecting and honoring those who have served.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Gah! This seems like legislation intended to halt the debate. So extreme and done in a shady way that gun owners will be forced to go the courts and any legislation passed simply overturned. Not giving the people the chance to engage in discussion of new laws is not the way to do this, especially if it's getting into personal property... which apparently it very much does.

Personally I think there needs to be a lengthy, hate-checked debate on what as assault weapon is as well as a very clear definition of what the mental health requirements are.

While this legislation is not a disarming of the public, law abiding citizens, whom I might personally disagree with, should not be treated as criminals and have private property confiscated or submit to what is undoubtedly going to be some ridiculous red tape process to register guns. I personally don't think military style guns should ever have been available for private ownership, but they were and someone who was within their legal right to buy one, shouldn't be a retroactive criminal.

I don't know what the solutions are, but until all sides stop being so reactionary we won't get anywhere. The only part of this legislation that makes sense is closing the background check loophole.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike U.

Obviously people are reading the headline and not the meat of the law.

Doctors are required to inform police when and if someone is a threat to themselves or others, and at no other time... It doesn't affect you unless you are going to do one of those two things..

It's all sensationalistic nonsense to think that anyone on a psych drug is going to be relieved of their arms.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad
reply to post by goou111

Next step.. Add new definitions and diagnosis for mental illness..

People who believe outrageous conspiracies will be defined as being potentially emotionally compromised and therefore unfit to bear arms..

Same as Indefinite detention.. Start there and say you can grab a citizen that's a suspected terrorist and hold him forever..

Next redefine terrorist to include most Americans..

This is BAD.

Yup, from if you were on Ritalin as a child or your mother needed Valium.

and isn't it interesting the number of people in America on anti-depressants now days.
www.health.harvard.edu...

And I think the anti-depressants are making us crazy.

They tried to give me some many years ago for panic disorder, it made it worse and I felt like I was tripping, I refused to take them.
edit on 083131p://bTuesday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

This will be challenged in the higher circuit court as Already in 2010 The Supreme court addressed the rights of citizens to own guns in all 50 states and side with the second amendment

No state can ban guns plain and simple and strict laws are all under constitutional challenges.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I wonder how many people who would have sought treatment will now actively avoid treatment?

Maybe I can keep self medicating this intense stress away with alcohol because now if I go seek out some real help I risk ending up on some list that will strip my rights.

Good plan NY. Good plan.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

If I am honest with myself, I am terrified of what the future holds. I ask myself almost daily "what has become of my nation".

That being siad I agree with you. Doctors have to report anyone that is a danger to themselves or others. That rule has been in place for longer than I can remember.

The "mental issue" is a very dangerous thing though. It can be used by the "grabbers" to legitimize their argument and there is little to argue against them with.

One PTSD patient is "hyper-vigilant" while another is depressed. One hears a bang and jumps behind a sofa and the other hears a bang and goes into "combat mode". It is a diagnosis that is almost all encompassing, and that is what makes it dangerous.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join