It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the movie Avatar blow your mind? This will too...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I liked Avatar; I found the scenes listed in the OP to be quite lovely.

I had heard rumours about Cameron's project, but had forgotten. Thank-you for reminding me. ^_^

oddpenguin

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
Avatar was not that good of a movie and it certainly did not impress me(the alien sex was really, really gross).

As for animals that glow? It is spectacular. Much better than that crappy movie.

Coming from the guy that has what looks like an anime avatar? Maybe you should get back to your Gundam or super sayans.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Avatar was not that good of a movie and it certainly did not impress me(the alien sex was really, really gross).

As for animals that glow? It is spectacular. Much better than that crappy movie.

I saw your avatar before reading your post and instantly thought of the Na'vi lol... when I first seen avatar it was in imax 3d and i eat some really potent brownies.. the experience was great and really felt like a trip to another world.. but when I watched the movie at home on tv it was just okay..

Anyways star and flag to the OP, it always amazes me how diverse our planet is. There is so many different places that really do look like alien planets all together and just as unexplored too.
edit on 12-1-2013 by Jay Electronica because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Nice OP, it was a nice read, and I knew about most of those creatures and algae and such, but still, nice.

The Alien sex being gross? Well, they're aliens, they don't mate like us, what did you expect?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Well, my Avatar(Ha ha, get it?) is sure drawing attention in this thread.

I hated the movie Avatar with a passion. I didn't see it in 3d, maybe i should have. I don't see what my Avatar(tee hee) has to do with me not liking a movie or finding the logistics behind a sex scene disturbing.

I like glowing organisms though. I'm Sirius.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by FireballStorm

First time I hear or see comb jellies. Pretty impressive !!!

Thanks for sharing!

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by GoOfYFoOt

I have noticed, growing out of the bark, of large oak trees in central florida, thousands of miniature bioluminescent mushrooms, in certain months...

Does anyone know what these are? We found them, quite by accident, but they were extremely cool, very mesmerizing...

I wouldn't know, I looked and haven't found anything about bioluminescent mushrooms in Florida. Most of the species are from Brazil.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/co50f13f89.jpg[/atsimg]

The species Armillaria mellea is a variety of honey fungus that glows in the evening when it grows in rotting hardwood trees. This species causes root rot in a variety of plant species, so its glow is a part of the circle of life. Another type of fungi that emits light is found in Brazil.

There are over 33 bioluminescent mushroom species, and recently a number of new, highly bioluminescent mushroom species have been found in the Brazilian rain forest by Cassius Stevani’s University of São Paulo research team.

thelistcafe.com...

www.curiousexpeditions.org...

Perhaps there are other members that would know.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
the movie avatar didn't impress me, not.

speak for yourself. actually, our avatars speak for us really. it shows how mature we are, or how immature. most movies, like the matrix, seem flashy but it is so just to get the super short attention span of gen x.

but dig deeper and you'll get a better understanding of all those things that you haven't thought of before. sometimes the wiser generation just feel exhausted in explaining everything to the young 'uns that we just shut up and keep it to ourselves. big loss for u.

i suppose u pups should yap at us longer so we more of the good stuff? you see, these movies were based on older stories and philosophies. the sfx and shallow plots are just eye candy and orgasmic junk food for gen x.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Avatar was just an awful movie in every form. The only people who could have possibly enjoyed it to an extreme had to have very little knowledge about other movies (considering the plot was entirely ripped from ten's of other sources. Pocahontas, the last samurai, dances with wolves, so on and so on). Not only that, but they cannot possibly have well tuned imaginations seeing how virtually every animal and plant in that film is extremely closely related to what we find on earth. It makes absolutely no sense biologically to have a third pair of legs for those animals that had them, especially where they had them, and the fact that that is essentially the only thing they changed from what is here on earth to what is there on the "magical and creative" world of Pandora is intensely unimpressive.

Go watch the documentary Alien Planet and tell me who was more creative with their creature design.

I weep for the large population who found this film to be an amazing work of art and dread the next two confirmed sequels.

My mind remains un-blown...
edit on 12/1/13 by Ghost147 because: Typo fix!

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

Nice thread man.. thanks for posting it.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Avatar was pretty for a bit, and that is about it. Did not care for it at all. Now these pics are a different story. Beautiful. I have seen this kind of stuff before, but never tire of it.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I don't find Avatar an amazing movie, nor a great Sci-Fi movie, I honestly don't even understand why some people experiencing the so-called Avatar Syndrome, that movie was a complete dull story that has absolutely no meaning other than small an obtuse messages. I honestly slept half of the movie due to the fact it was a complete boring piece of production and what is worse is that going to be part 2 for that shameful production. I get it most people love the idea of the technology they used in the movie but then what? We cannot live in all glowing environment around us, that's called reality. Imagine yourself glowing all night, are you going to be able to sleep? imagine your girlfriend is sleeping next you and glowing all night, you will break up with her the next day. People have got to realize that some movies are nothing but an entertainment show and I honestly don't think our oceans should be glowing all night, do you? that's like having 2 suns and no night time.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by BristolStew

I liked avatar. Its not a movie id watch over and over, too long for one thing but over all it was pretty cool.
The only thing I didnt like about it was the obvious connection that the producers made between the Panderans and the Native Americans, even though, it obviously didnt turn out the same way.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Many different opinions regarding the Avatar movie and it's all good. Some liked it, some didn't, personally, I think that the storyline wasn't that great but the visuals were spectacular, especially in IMAX 3D, the version that I saw. Just my opinion.

As for the bioluminescence factor on our own planet, I also find it spectacular. Personally, I wish I could swim in the waters of Mosquito Bay or where the divers swam in the Caribbeans (in the National Geographic video) where they also grabbed extraordinary footage of bioluminescent deep sea fishes. Or go around that cave in New Zealand where the walls are covered with bioluminescent dimalites. Again, just my opinion.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I honestly don't think our oceans should be glowing all night, do you?

When it's natural, I don't see a problem with it and I actually am blown away by the beauty of it all.

When it is not natural such as those below, then it has the opposite effect (to me), I dislike:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/fb50f1c535.jpg[/atsimg]

There are a number of animals that glow with a helping hand from scientists. Researchers have introduced substances such as green fluorescent protein to animals including rhesus monkeys and pigs to examine a wide variety of ailments.

thelistcafe.com...

While it is conducted for research in trying to find cures for such diseases as Huntington's, for example, I remain uneased.

Aside from that, I find bioluminescence simply fantastic.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

We'd like to hear about the films that you do like. Will you supply a list of your favorites?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

As much as I agree with your first sentences, your latter are a bit ridiculous. Many organisms do indeed glow "all night" as they have evolved to have that mechanism within them for various reasons. Breeding purposes, attraction of prey, warning of predators and what have you.

If we did indeed "glow all night" then it wouldn't be bothersome. Obviously if it spontaneously began to occur it would temporarily. But, the body adapts quite well. People sleep with night lights on all night after all.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Star, flag, subscribe

Personally I didn't care for the movie avatar either. Only reason I went to see it was to see what the hype was about. Yes it was very pretty but other than that didn't do much for me.

Now the pics and the videos are absolutely amazing. My fave video was red tide.I've never seen or heard of that before and it's breath taking. You learn something new everyday!

Thank you op for the beautiful pics and videos.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I can understand if people think the movie was over-hyped and overrated, but surely more among the ATS crowd can get behind its message? Maybe inspire us to want better lives for ourselves and a brighter future for our own planet?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

Not much to say, but WOW! Knew about most, but not all of these, but that cave in N America, that I need to find, probably the most easily reachable of these for me (besides firefly/lighning bugs of course.) I want to see that IRL. Flagged for awesomeness.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join