It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the movie Avatar blow your mind? This will too...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+62 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Hello Friends,

Back in 2009, Director James Cameron blew our minds when he created a world that was so beautiful that it made a lot of us dream.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/fl50f00ed8.jpg[/atsimg]

In the movie Avatar, Cameron introduced us to the amazing world of Pandora, a world filled with vibrant colors, incredible flora, luminescent creatures and the indigenous culture of the graceful Na’vi.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/hl50f00ee6.jpg[/atsimg]

Pandora - A Luminescent World

I remember when this movie came out, so many folks dreamed of leaving Earth to live on a world like Pandora, forgetting a few important hazards along the way such as the deadly atmosphere that harboured vicious creatures such as the titanotheres, the thanators or the viperwolves that would shred you in minutes. If that wasn’t enough and you survived, chances are you’d end up being a good snack for the toruk, the all mighty giant flying banshee...

But what if you could see a similar luminescent world, without leaving Earth and without the deadly hazards?

Basically, what most folks dreamed about, in reality, was of the bioluminescence displayed at every corner, in the plants, in the water, on animals and on the Na’vi themselves.

Not many are aware of the fact that James Cameron consulted exobiologists, botanists and physicists to create the world of Pandora, its very basis for bioluminescence being found here, on our very own little planet, Earth.

========================================

[align=center][color=gold]The Wonderful World of Bioluminescence[/align]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/ez50f00f0a.jpg[/atsimg]

Bioluminescence is the production and emission of light by a living organism. Its name is a hybrid word, originating from the Greek bios for "living" and the Latin lumen "light". Bioluminescence is a naturally occurring form of chemiluminescence where energy is released by a chemical reaction in the form of light emission.

Bioluminescence is caused by two factors mainly, the first, the presence of a protein called Luciferin or, second, the product of marine microbes called Phytoplankton.

Bioluminescence can be found in different parts of the world such as Puerto Rico, Japan, United States, New Zealand, Wales, Tasmania, Australia, Malaysia and Brazil.

Bioluminescence is found on living organisms that are earthbound, in caves, on beach shores and the ocean’s deep.

As a picture is said to be worth a thousand words, I will cut short on the blah blah blah and share some awesome pictures that I have found, here and there, about this phenomenon and that totally blew my mind.

I sure hope it has the same effect on you !! Enjoy !!!

Pictures of Interest

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/iu50f00f78.jpg[/atsimg]

Gippsland Lakes, Australia

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/dw50f00f87.jpg[/atsimg]

Bioluminescent Jelly Fish

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/lq50f00f97.jpg[/atsimg]

Bioluminescent Squid

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/km50f00f67.jpg[/atsimg]

Luminescent Fire Fly

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/no50f00ef9.jpg[/atsimg]

Bioluminescent Barreleye Fish

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/we50f00f2a.jpg[/atsimg]

Bioluminescent Ocean

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/rg50f00f1d.jpg[/atsimg]

Bioluminescent Mosquito Bay, Japan

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/aw50f00f39.jpg[/atsimg]

Bioluminescent cave, New Zealand

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/jd50f00f4a.jpg[/atsimg]

Cave Glow Worms, New Zealand

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/kr50f00f58.jpg[/atsimg]

Bioluminescent Dismal Canyons, North America

Pretty cool stuff, huh?

Videos of Interest

For those of you that have viewing capabilities, there are three videos that I would like to share.

The first one is about a minute long and is a reminder of the bioluminescent world of Pandora:

The second is about four minutes long, from National Geographic, and shows that our oceans really glow with light!! :

The third is about five minutes long, was shot in California, and shows a phenomenon called the “Red Tide”, a display of blue-neon waves hitting the shores of Moonlight beach, in Encinitas:

Now, how cool was THAT ?

Sources

www.imdb.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

tinylittleanthill.wordpress.com...

philhart.com...

colourchroma.wordpress.com...

www.coastalliving.com...

thelistcafe.com...

docmo.hubpages.com...

I sincerely hope that you have enjoyed and that, like me, you are overwhelmed from the surprises that our little blue dot provides. While we search for life and amazing discoveries throughout our galaxy, often times, the best treasures are found in our own backyard.

Thank you for reading, all comments welcome.

~Son.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Avatar was not that good of a movie and it certainly did not impress me(the alien sex was really, really gross).

As for animals that glow? It is spectacular. Much better than that crappy movie.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
S&F for you OP. I loved that movie, not because of the plot or actors, because of the absolute beauty,creativity and talent it took to make it. Thanks for the beautiful visuals.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

About the alien sex, funny coming from a guy with anime avatar =p It wouldn't be the first time said would happen in an anime ^^

just saying

Cool pic's though, you should check those cave's that give light ^^ same principle.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Avatar is a great movie, the story was a cliche, but the visual effect of the movie was awesome.

Yup, 90% of the flora and fauna in the movie is like things living in the deep water earth.

Edit: If any final fantasy fans here, lots of animals were from FF series ever areas.

Following are from final fantasy games in the past.

The Horse...

The small wolves...

The big wolf..

The floating lands...

edit on 1/11/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

quite similar to star wars planet felucia

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
son, you get my star and flag. What a beautifully put together thread. Its a beautiful world we live in really.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I remember back around 2000 when there was talk about the end of the world, being the sceptic and all, I just laughed about it.

Me and some friends went to St Bees one morning (1am?) to play football (that's real football, soccer) because we were bored.

Glenn suddenly looked up and said "what's that?", pointing out towards the sea.

All we could see was a bright blue light dancing back and forth on the horizon, now remember this is in the morning, so it was pitch black and we could see was where the sea stopped and the sky started.

It was obviously not lightning, It looked like something off Star Trek, you know when they get a powerful energy ribbon in space chasing them down on the Enterprise (like the nexus off STVI: Generations), and it seemed to be coming closer and closer.

All four of us started feeling a little uneasy, then Glenn and Roberto suddenly started walking towards the shore, me and Benny were like "where the hell are you going???", "Well if its gonna get us, it's gonna get us", they joked.

So, anyway, me and Benny decided to follow them down, and we started walking across the beach.....suddenly we noticed that whenever we put our feet down, a bright blue light shot out in every direction, again referring to Star Trek, like when someone touches an invisible force field, it lights up in a dotty, shimmering pattern....just like that. Weird we thought.

It was at that point we realised the bright blue light dancing about in the sky was in fact the whites of the waves, and we had no idea what it was, but it was beautiful. That being said, we were also just about a mile away from Sellafield nuclear reprocessing plant, so that was slightly concerning, lmao.

I'm glad I seen it, I admit it scared me a little bit when I didn't know what it was, but upon research it turned out to be just what is being discussed in the OP, nature is fantastic at times.
edit on 11/1/13 by woogleuk because: Damn you autocorrect

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
Avatar was not that good of a movie and it certainly did not impress me(the alien sex was really, really gross).

As for animals that glow? It is spectacular. Much better than that crappy movie.

...what the f..is this entity's response to this thread serious right now? *smh

Regardless, OP this was a very nice post

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

I've seen the female of our species light up like that.

SnF OP

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I must be leaving for work but will get back to discuss this topic later on.

I really really like some of the replies so far !!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
loverly creatures and great pics of them, theres some very cool blue algae in the new movie "Life of Pi" too

...also dont forget about the very creepy angler fish!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I enjoyed both the world in avatar, and the pictures from earth. It also reminds me of what they were trying to accomplish in world of warcraft, the night elf place. Though need sunshine, and would always prefer to live in semi deserts with oasis's of orchards and lakes and love ponderosa pines!!! I need light, light shining even on a cloudy or rainy day, because the colors seem more like a transparent water color and not even rain can block it. Consequently, can't wait to leave this coastal area behind, not into rain forrests!!!!

But its magical, and beautiful.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   

That's so fascinating, if only I could get the chance to see bioluminescent shores/animals in person.

Now only if we could take it one step further and have a bio-spiritual relationship with the planet via neural connections like the Na'vi did with their tendril feature (attached to their braided hair).

The Na'vi were extensively in-tune with their surrounding environment and they did not lack a mutually reciprocal relationship with their planet's flora and fauna. If only WE had that relationship!

I've seen Avatar too many times lol

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Even humans have some level of bioluminescence.
We live in amazing piece of art but as a species we are to obsessed with ourselves we can't see whats already there.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

As for animals that glow? It is spectacular.

I absolutely agree. I don't know if you took the time or if you were able to have a look at the NatGeo video but I highly recommend it. A well worth few minutes !!!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Awesome reply !! Lucky you !!!

we were also just about a mile away from Sellafield nuclear reprocessing plant, so that was slightly concerning

That same thought crossed my mind when I looked at the Mosquito Bay picture from Japan !!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Avatar was an enjoyable film. As for dreaming about going to Pandora, it won't be a dream for too long. Instead of literally traversing the galaxy to visit an alien planet & risk death, we will create similar worlds with computers. Emerging virtual reality, BCIs, sensory simulation & other technology will be able to put you into the body of a Na'Vi from the comfort of your own home.

The pictures you posted honestly didn't 'blow my mind' either.. probably due to having seen them already, and seeing a photo isn't nearly as exhilarating as actually being there.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Well, you know what they say, Randy.

Pics or...

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Avatar was awesome...sure the story line might have been ripped off a little (Dancing with the Wolves) but what movie isn't anymore. Seeing that movie in 3D was truly mind blowing and I can't wait for the 2nd one.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join