It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK risks 'turning inwards' over EU referendum - US official

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

Gunsmiths in Brighouse west yorkshire, sells ammo etc If you have a valid licence.

www.aaronwheelergunsmith.co.uk...

I buy camping stuff from him and tell him everytime I know where to come If zombies come
he then gives me a funny look lol
edit on 10-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Gunsmiths in Brighouse west yorkshire, sells ammo etc If you have a valid licence.

www.aaronwheelergunsmith.co.uk...

I buy camping stuff from him and tell him everytime I know where to come If zombies come
he then gives me a funny look lol

Ah the Lee Enfield Number 4 Mark 2, heavy to hold, kick like a drunk donkey, and served the British Army as a standard service weapon, and then thaks to its astounding accuracy as a very effective sniper weapon. As a young Army Cadet I sustained many a bruised gun muscle from one of those little beauties.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by diddy1234
Well there isn't really much difference between Conservatives and Labour these days is there ?

There both as bad as each other.

You're right they're all the same and I think most, if not all of them are clueless about what they're doing. They try to sell the EU to us the same way it's been sold to them. What a shame so many people keep falling for their lies, they do sound convincing because they actually believe what they're saying.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
well if the bulls##t is said often enough, people will believe it

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

reply to post by TheDoctor46

Plus how many times have we been at war with one of the European countries? they have always tried to take over so sod em, They hate us because they can't beat us and some hate us because we helped save them.
Commonwealth all the way

I think you'll find the British were the ones flexing muslces around Europe due to royalty links and empire building. The last war was the game changer showing how severe war had become.

Remember the EEC came about precisely to prevent any more wars..... funnily enough it has worked!

Most of the anti europe sentiment comes from the usual bigotry (humourless nazis , garlic eating frogs, etc) as well as a hefty does of ignorance whipped up by the tabloids.

When the tabloids state "Decision made about abc that prevents us British from selling our abc's in Europe" what they don't tell you is "When the decision was made nobody from Britain could be arsed turning up for the meetings where the decision was made".

You would be astonished at the number of COLLABORATIVE meetings that have occurred to make policy, decide on standards etc etc and the UK representative was absent.

I used to work for a multinational semiconductor firm and we were told by the Japanese car manufacturers that the ONLY reason they set up shop in Britain was because we were in Europe.

Let me guess : look at Norway and how well they do outside of Europe (as UKIP states)......erm well not quite. They are actually fully paid up members of the free trade in Europe. In order to do this they have to contribute to the EEC and implement most European laws and all without a vote ANYWHERE. Hmmmmm The only reason they are not a full member is because the people vote against it in a referendum and yet the voting morons don't realise that thy are effectively members but without a say in policy.....for freaks sake ! Their economy is dependent on EEC trade.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by diddy1234
well if the bulls##t is said often enough, people will believe it

Thank god farrage is trying to give truth a voice.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by The X

Just watched the vid
Thanks for that.
We need a referendum and I know which way I will vote for sure after that vid.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad

Originally posted by khimbar
The Americans have as much say in this as we do on them carrying guns.

Can we all now start telling them to butt out of our business, as they've told us on guns?

The people who are in your business in America are the same people who are trying to take our guns.. Average Americans just want to be left alone..

I think the EU should be no more. But I'm not in it, so I don't really have a say nor will I tell you guys what to think.
It would be nice if everyone got off our nuts too though. We Are Not Our Government.
edit on 1/9/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

"We Are Not Our Government.".... That is a very telling statement that should raise the alarm. In the US, we are our government. If the goverment has seperated itself from the people, we have huge issues. As an American, government is supposed to be 'by the people, for the people', and if it loses this distinction, it brings irreparable harm to those it claims to serve.

I don't mean to derail the topic, but I have no skin in the game on the other side of the pond. I hope our UK brothers can have their voice heard. God Bless!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
As has already been said. USA can keep their noses out on this one.

I want out of Europe A.S.A.P - I love this whole argument Pro Europeans use about how we will be left in the dark without Europe, How we won't have their support or friendship and how much it will cost our economy in exports as Europe is our biggest buyer....... Well so what?

We spend far more buying from Europe than they do from us, so if I was them I would think twice before they spit the dummy out regarding who they trade with.

And who cares if they don't support us? Were a strong country with strong people we can survive fine in this world and Europe are not our only friends.

If anything they cost us money. The fact we are not free to trade with anyone else is a joke. They are some undemocratic bunch of Gangsters and we want out. Farage needs to run this country, a man in the game for his beliefs rather than who will pay him off.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by BurialKing

Misread
The rest I agree with

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
As an American, who has properly been asked to keep my nose out of it, please forgive my intrusion.

I think a referendum is an incredibly important, good idea. How can there be any legitimacy on such a national issue, without seeking consent from the electorate?

Why even vote for anything, if the government knows whats best for its people without a vote? Just toss the whole voting nonsense if you believe the people can not be trusted.

What decision your country makes, is up to your fellow countrymen to debate and decide. But as a friend, I think you should at least be given the choice. And yes, our President should have kept his nose out of it. I will remove mine as well now.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB

The continental countries hate us.. We have nothing in comon with them.. I would prefer a treaty with all of the English speaking nations on Earth rather than these clowns..

Not in my experience of heavily travelling through Europe. We actually do have quite a lot in common with the European public, we mostly all want the same things.

I'm going to vote for us (Engerland) to leave. I'm not going to be pseudo-xenophobic about it though.

Hey you Yankee pig dogs*, this is none of your business - please feel free to have an opinion and express it though.

*Sarcasm
edit on 11/1/1313 by jokei because: I did do an edited

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by yorkshirelad

reply to post by TheDoctor46

Plus how many times have we been at war with one of the European countries? they have always tried to take over so sod em, They hate us because they can't beat us and some hate us because we helped save them.
Commonwealth all the way

I think you'll find the British were the ones flexing muslces around Europe due to royalty links and empire building. The last war was the game changer showing how severe war had become.

Remember the EEC came about precisely to prevent any more wars..... funnily enough it has worked!

Most of the anti europe sentiment comes from the usual bigotry (humourless nazis , garlic eating frogs, etc) as well as a hefty does of ignorance whipped up by the tabloids.

When the tabloids state "Decision made about abc that prevents us British from selling our abc's in Europe" what they don't tell you is "When the decision was made nobody from Britain could be arsed turning up for the meetings where the decision was made".

You would be astonished at the number of COLLABORATIVE meetings that have occurred to make policy, decide on standards etc etc and the UK representative was absent.

I used to work for a multinational semiconductor firm and we were told by the Japanese car manufacturers that the ONLY reason they set up shop in Britain was because we were in Europe.

Let me guess : look at Norway and how well they do outside of Europe (as UKIP states)......erm well not quite. They are actually fully paid up members of the free trade in Europe. In order to do this they have to contribute to the EEC and implement most European laws and all without a vote ANYWHERE. Hmmmmm The only reason they are not a full member is because the people vote against it in a referendum and yet the voting morons don't realise that thy are effectively members but without a say in policy.....for freaks sake ! Their economy is dependent on EEC trade.

Someone speaking sense at last. We need the E.U. especially due to Foreign direct investment. Nissan was one of the Japanese companies that setup shop in the UK because we were in the E.U. And where do most of the cars goto? Europe.

There's a whole bunch of them, just think of all the multinational companies that have setup HQ's in London, you think they will stay there if we drop out of Europe. Its all down to free trade.

Your probably thinking if that's the case why don't they just go to any other European city, its because there are fewer restrictions on commerce in the UK than in any other European country coupled with the fact London is Europe's transport hub. The city's five international airports provide direct flights to more than 450 destinations. You pull out of Europe and the reasons people come here, flat line.

Our inward direct investment from foreign business is 3rd in the world, due to our current setup.

Its the reason America don't want us out, all the business that filters through the UK. As I said before the E.U. is a cash cow. To quote myself.

- Worlds largest single market
- Economic zone larger than that of the USA and Japan combined
- Total GDP of around £11 trillion
- 2.75 million jobs were created in the single market between 1992 and 2006. For the UK, the increase in GDP would have been around £25 billion.
- Exports to other EU countries account for 51 per cent of the UK’s exports of goods and services
- 3.5 million jobs in Britain are linked, directly or indirectly, to the UK’s trade with other Member States.
- Foreign direct investment+
- Freedom to travel, live, work, study and retire anywhere in the EU
- Free trade agreement with Japan that will generate about £25 billion in economic benefits for Europe.

There should be rules in places that people have to actually read the pros and cons before we have a referendum. Its shocking how many people blindly vote. I was amazed at the last elections how many people changed there vote just because they thought it couldn't be worse then what labour did.

People need to look at the facts instead of bigotry against Europe. I'm not saying the E.U is perfect, far from it and massive reforms need to happen, but you need solid reason to leave and as it is now, we need Europe.
edit on 11-1-2013 by tdk84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   
If the UK were to leave the EU, the EU would leave the UK behind and we would come to regret it. We're like Norway without the oil and trees, or Switzerland with the gold and banks.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotel1

To obtain a Firearms or shotgun licence you must pass a background check by the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB), and if you are found to not have a criminal record there are rules concerning the secure and safe storage of weapons, and ammunition, you must also demonstrate that you have a valid reason for use such as a farmer that requires a firearm, or shotgun as a means of vermin control. Ammunition is readily available through liscenced outlets that require you to produce valid documents for purchase.

edit on 10-1-2013 by hotel1 because: (no reason given)

I agree with a lot of what you have said but I believe you are wrong about shotguns.

Shotguns are a right in this country and you do not have to demonstrate a need for one. The desire to own one is sufficient. It's up to the cops to find a reason for you to lose that right, such as having a criminal record or mental health problems. Other firearms however are a different story, but even here a neec can be demostrated if you are into gun sports.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by tdk84

People need to look at the facts instead of bigotry against Europe. I'm not saying the E.U is perfect, far from it and massive reforms need to happen, but you need solid reason to leave and as it is now, we need Europe.

But that is the probem. The EU will never reform in any meaningful way. It will just get worse as time goes by.

The institution isn't there for the benefit of the people of europe but to economially fleece the population, and help corporations. More regulation kills small business and aids big business. More taxes crucify people financially, and lets not forget the stunningly high direct cost of the unelected EU.

Additionally membership of the EU has caused a massive immigration problem of people from poorer countries coming here and draining the society of wealth. And that doesnt make me a biggot or xenophobe. I'd much prefer it if every single Euroean economic migrant was kicked out and replaced by starving or persecuted Africans.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Not trying to derail or anything, but what's with this "US can keep out of it" as if any of the US citizens are telling you what to do. Our government over here in the US does a lot of things that we the people don't like and didn't vote for, as I'm sure your government does as well.

Now, back on topic. I'm not from the UK, and have no say in it. But, The EU seems like sort of a raw deal for you guys, maybe you'd be better off sovereign again. If the EU had been around in the late 30's, I wonder if they would have let you guys put up the terrific fight against the Nazis that you guys put up. I mean, really, you guys did pretty good for a tiny Island off the coast, hell you guys did better than anybody else in Europe, except maybe for Russia. From what I can see the EU has basically told Britain that they're in charge and if you don't like it, you'll just have to deal with it. That doesn't seem right to me. I'd say Britain has earned the right to control it's own affairs, the rest of Europe doesn't seem to know how thankful they should be to Britain.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by merkins
reply to post by tdk84

But that is the probem. The EU will never reform in any meaningful way. It will just get worse as time goes by.

The institution isn't there for the benefit of the people of europe but to economially fleece the population, and help corporations. More regulation kills small business and aids big business. More taxes crucify people financially, and lets not forget the stunningly high direct cost of the unelected EU.

Additionally membership of the EU has caused a massive immigration problem of people from poorer countries coming here and draining the society of wealth. And that doesnt make me a biggot or xenophobe. I'd much prefer it if every single Euroean economic migrant was kicked out and replaced by starving or persecuted Africans.

Yes they will, they will be forced too and its already starting. The Germans for one are starting to realise they picked the wrong side as there worst fears of joining the E.U. come to light... France made the wrong moves.

They are now panicking that we will leave as it will solely leave them as the backbone.

Even today you here the news flooding out www.bbc.co.uk... www.guardian.co.uk...

If we play it right we can lead at the forefront with Germany, this fear they have is perfect for negotiations.

People knocked it in the past because of who he is, but if Blair made it in the E.U. it would mean big improvements for the UK.

Your right in terms of the immigration issues etc, but your talking about things that can be tweaked. The fundamentals that these laws bring are sound, it just needs reforming.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Britain got a net contribution of about pounds 3.5bn / year.

That isn't that much really.. There are country's paying more and don't all that forked up about it but of course that money part is just an excuse to get loud in the voice about leaving the EU by the common people.
And don't get your hopes up high, I don't think the British government got the guts to really do it and probaly their only goal is just trying to pay less.

That's it.

But yea perhaps it was better that Britain wouldn't had joined the EU. They have basicly nothing with Europe.
Even when so close, they are more close to the US. That's why I guess the US find it so important because with the UK they have more control/bigger say over the EU.

All the bad news about the EU mainly came from US and UK new's channels/websites, gotta wonder why.
I guess they just don't like the EU becoming more powerful so the US and the UK will loose power/control in this world.

edit on 11-1-2013 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

I am a Euro skeptic. I think the UK should tell Europe to bugger off and keep their glorious European union with Germany at the head all to themselves.

If the UK had embraced the EU and traded their Pounds for Euros, they would be totally screwed by now like the rest of Europe. What saving grace they have is due to the distance from the grand experiment.

I applaud any UK citizen that keeps to national sovereignty, identity and pride.

To the rest, I see you as traitors to your people. You should never bow your head to external pressure.

UK, I salute you!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join