It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK risks 'turning inwards' over EU referendum - US official

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB
reply to post by Flavian

Well.... Someone has to I suppose..

I respect your viewpoint..

But will never ever ever ever ever ever agree lol..

Totally agree so right back at you........

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I hate the EU with a passion. I want out, everyone I know wants out. We didn't vote for it and yet they dictate what we can and can't do.

And also the US can stay out of this, it's got absolutely nothing to do with them.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

Done

www.abovetopsecret.com...

EDIT don't bother people have derailed it beyond repair..

edit on 10-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Plus they always rig the eurovision song contest so we come last

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
The E.U.doesn't sound like a very good deal to the British.In fact it sounds like you were sold a bag of goods(broken promises).I'd ask my leaders to tell Washington to but out of your countries business.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Some Brits here claim they "didn't vote for the EU".

A shame for them, then, that so many of their compatriots did, by voting for a Conservative Party with a pro EEC membership "negotiate & join" manifesto in the 1970 general election. And by voting "YES" in the 1975 post legislative referendum. And they've consistently elected governments since which are pro-EEC & pro-EU. Other claim that the EEC was different, somehow, than what we've got today in the EU. I don't see why they think in those terms, the preamble to the EEC that UK joined in 1973 said as follows, it's very explicit ...

to preserve peace and liberty and to lay the foundations of an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe

And it was designed to fulfill that object via common policies on trade, transport, agriculture, customs, tariffs & employment law.

Thats what the EEC was. If it's frontiers have expanded into other policy areas, it's been done by the absolute consent of British political leaders, their parties, their governments & above all the British electorates over the last 40 years,

You'd think the clever clogs here might actually have thought, you know what ... I might vote for a party which is AGAINST EU membership. And some do. But most don't. They'll still vote for the pro-EU Labour & pro-EU Conservative parties.

And another thing. It's very amusing to see that those here who claim to hate illegitimate unions ... i.e. the EU ... they're the very same ones who will use their opponent's arguments when it comes to that other illegitimate union ... the union which makes up the United Kingdom itself.

I don't remember ever seeing the result of the 1706 Scottish referendum on formation of the United Kingdom. And that's because there wasn't one.

The United Kingdom itself was created not by a public vote, it was created by Parliamentarians of two nations who made that decision to join on behalf of their constituents, much in the same way which characterises Britian's relationship with the EEC/EU even today. There wasn't any public vote to create the United Kingdom ... instead there was widespread rioting throughout Scotland when that deal was done & those Scots who signed that treaty had to flee to the countryside undercover. Although I bet that latter point is rarely heard in an English history classroom.

It's hypocrisy to weep and wail about "not having the vote" when your own country UK was founded without a popular vote, and where you have a parliamentary system which allows such things to occur.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I'm not exactly against the EU. I think there are benefits to the UK staying in it.

There are, however, lots of things wrong with it.

For instance, I hate the way that the EU imposes laws on it's member states that make no sense and I also hate the way that the UK government goes out of its way to implement these laws to the fullest possible degree while other European countries seem to pretty much ignore them

I also despise the European Court of Human Rights and the way these soft liberal idiots always seem to take the side of the offender. Simplifying things, I know, but that's basically what they do.

I also do not like the fact that the UK provides so much money to the EU and doesn't really seem to get a lot back.

The UK government needs to have the balls to say to the EU, "We are with you but we will run our country as we see fit and will NOT put up with interference from EU f*ckwits." Or words to that effect!!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by iskander683

The European Court of Human Rights enforces the Convention on Human Rights which was drafted in 1950 & put into effect in 1953. And it isn't even the EU which is in charge, it's an entirely separate body called the Council of Europe which is responsible for it.

The Council of Europe was founded on 5th May 1949 by the Treaty of LONDON and the UK joined up that very same day.

So to blame the EU for "all these offenders having rights", well, it's a bit misleading.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I know all that, actually, and it's pretty boring.

EU, Council of Europe - whatever. They are all corrupt, money eating bureaucracies that stamp all over my country and gorge themselves on the billions of pounds that my country foolishly gives to them.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I'm a supporter of the E.U. and were definitely stronger together. We have the potential to be the strongest economic group on the planet.

There are issues now, and too much money has been spent to let it fail. I expect massive reforms. I also expect a bigger role for the UK.

- Worlds largest single market
- Economic zone larger than that of the USA and Japan combined
- Total GDP of around £11 trillion
- 2.75 million jobs were created in the single market between 1992 and 2006. For the UK, the increase in GDP would have been around £25 billion.
- Exports to other EU countries account for 51 per cent of the UK’s exports of goods and services
- 3.5 million jobs in Britain are linked, directly or indirectly, to the UK’s trade with other Member States.
- Foreign direct investment+
- Freedom to travel, live, work, study and retire anywhere in the EU
- Free trade agreement with Japan that will generate about £25 billion in economic benefits for Europe.

You could go on all day,obviously reforms need to happen but the E.U. is a big cash generator in the long run. Britain's survival is linked to Europe if one fails we both fail.
edit on 10-1-2013 by tdk84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by SprocketUK
There won't be a referendum.
When labour were in opposition they promised one. Soon as they were in power they refused and the Tories were bleating about a referendum.
Now the roles are reversed again.
It seems that whoever is in charge, they are determined to keep us chained to the EU.

There might be a referendum but I'll eat my (tin foil) hat if it's the in or out vote we all want.
They have to keep us in the EU because that's how they will get their one world government, once the unions are in place, that's it game over.
It's also why they can't let the Euro fail even though it seems to have failed already, I could go on but I think I'm preaching to the converted here.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

glad to hear that ...... are the guns hard to get? Who can buy a shotgun or rifle? What about ammo?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by iskander683

EU, Council of Europe - whatever. They are all corrupt, money eating bureaucracies that stamp all over my country and gorge themselves on the billions of pounds that my country foolishly gives to them.

You didn't know it at all. You didn't know that your own country helped create the Council of Europe.

And rather than just say "hey, well, you learn something new everyday" you just decided to pretend otherwise.

That's a bit shifty.

That's shifty. With an "f".

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
so everyone on here will be voting UKIP next election then ?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by diddy1234
so everyone on here will be voting UKIP next election then ?

They make the raving loony party look sane.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by diddy1234

I'm not going to say who I'm voting for, I still think that's a private thing but I will tell you I won't be voting for the Lib/Lab/Contrick. My vote will be wasted though because I'm in the North East where a lot of people still think that Labour are for the working man.
I predict that Labour will win the next election, please let me be wrong.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Well there isn't really much difference between Conservatives and Labour these days is there ?

There both as bad as each other.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by NorthernThird

Originally posted by iskander683

You didn't know it at all. You didn't know that your own country helped create the Council of Europe.

And rather than just say "hey, well, you learn something new everyday" you just decided to pretend otherwise.

That's a bit shifty.

That's shifty. With an "f".

No, you're wrong, mate. I did actually know it. If I had learnt something new then I would have admitted it.

Not all of us Brits are as uneducated as the Europeans think.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB

The Obama administration has publicly expressed concern about the impact of a UK referendum on its future relationship with the EU.
Philip Gordon, a senior official in the US State Department, said it was in America's interests to see a "strong British voice within the EU".
"Referendums have often turned countries inwards," he added.
The comments come as David Cameron prepares to make a major speech later this month on future European policy.
In response, No 10 said: "The US wants an outward-looking EU with Britain in it, and so do we."
The prime minister is facing pressure to hold a referendum on Europe at some stage during the next Parliament and has said the Conservatives will offer voters "real change" and "real choice" on the UK's position in Europe at the next election - scheduled for 2015.

bbc.co.uk

The US has its sacred 2nd ammendment cow and this is the UK's..

The vast majority of the population of the UK want an in/out referendum on the EU.. Most of us detest it.. Including myself.. We did not vote for this in its current form and powers have been virtually stripped from us bit by bit ever since we opted for the common market... Trade in fact is all we voted for.. We did not vote for this attack on our soveriegnty nor for the £40 million that we are forced to give these faceless, corrupt institutions every single day..
The EU is a millstone around our necks we can do without.. These unelected crooks dictate everything.. From our courts.. To farms.. To fishing.. Alongside robbing us daily.. The continental countries hate us.. We have nothing in comon with them.. I would prefer a treaty with all of the English speaking nations on Earth rather than these clowns..

Yes lets get rid of them and let our monarch rule,

Here is something you wrote about the EU, but I will not change it just paste it below as it saves me re writing life under the monarchs rule.

Most of us detest it.. Including myself.. We did not vote for this in its current form .

These unelected crooks dictate everything.. From our courts.. To farms.. To fishing.. Alongside robbing us daily.

we are forced to give these faceless, corrupt institutions every single day.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

To obtain a Firearms or shotgun licence you must pass a background check by the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB), and if you are found to not have a criminal record there are rules concerning the secure and safe storage of weapons, and ammunition, you must also demonstrate that you have a valid reason for use such as a farmer that requires a firearm, or shotgun as a means of vermin control. Ammunition is readily available through liscenced outlets that require you to produce valid documents for purchase.

edit on 10-1-2013 by hotel1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join