It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cameron: Britain would fight another war with Argentina to keep the Falkland Islands

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
The Argentinians, like all South American,Mexican and other countries invaded by the Spanish, are hot blooded.

They say a lot more than they will ever do.

I'd be at more peace in the Falklands right now than in England itself.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
What was the purpose of UK naming part of its claimed Antarctic sector Queen Elizabeth Land?

Queen Elizabeth is named official Head of State for the Falklands/Malvinas

This was almost 2 weeks before Argentina's letter to UK newspapers.

Who was the first to raise tensions in the latest 'timeline event'?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by rock427
I don't blame Britain at all. We would do the same if the Russians wanted to reclaim Alaska, or if some other nation tried to lay claim to Hawaii.The Falkland Islands have belonged to the British for what? 180 years? It isn't as if Britain is subjecting falklanders to genocide. They're in fact quite happy with being British, I see no reason why that should change.

Argentinas economy is dreadful, and in the process of collapsing. Falkland has Natural resources all around it. I suppose that has something to do with it. They will probably try to reclaim the island again. But Britain won't allow that. Good for them.

That is a good analogy using Alaska, however it is not accurate as Argentina has never owned those islands.

A better analogy would be for Canada to claim Alaska simply because it is close by.

Would America give Alaska to the Canadians ? Because it amounts to the exact same thing.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by wujotvowujotvowujotvo
What was the purpose of UK naming part of its claimed Antarctic sector Queen Elizabeth Land?

I guess you don't remember what Argentina did during the olympics ???? nah, selective memory

edit on 6-1-2013 by dmsuse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Oh boy. I've just noticed the time! Off to Uncle Ned with me.

Enjoyed reading this thread. Very respectful comments from most posters. A refreshing change.
edit on 6-1-2013 by jayman0111 because: Add second line

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ramcheck
The Empire is over, move on. Free the Malvinas.

Free them from what?
Do you know the history of the islands?
Objective history not the one Argentina is spouting.

From everything I've read the people who live there want to stay british.
And not become Argentinian.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
pennsylvania and new york along with 11 other states used to be british, why don't you guys go claim that back.

Maybe if 99% of the people who lived there wanted us to we would.

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by mikeone718

Henceforth why I included the fact that all their warships are dated relics as well... In terms of capability, only the US Navy gets one over us and even then, that's more to do with numbers and not quality. Take my word for it, their jaws dropped when they were invited aboard Daring and even more so when taken for a spin in Astute.....

True, a T45, Astute and maybe a Trafalgar class and the UK could hold off the combined forces of South America, but fancy as our boats our we'd still only last 5 mintues against the US Navy

Originally posted by MickeyMarley

Originally posted by InitiumArietis
There is possibly a diplomatic solution to this. We keep the Falkland's and they can have Northern Ireland

Problem is that the Irish will be taking Northern Ireland back in the not to distant future (Democratically of course)

An Argentinian flag above Belfast city hall would certainly add to tensions, not half as much as when the tri colour goes up though

Originally posted by RAY1990

Off topic

How do you feel about the loyalists in Ireland at the moment? they are british and they are making a right noise atm about the rights to bear the flag.

N ireland is a colony too in my eyes, lands taken from the real irish people but they are British and some of our own

Northern Ireland and Falkland couldn't any more different...but it keeps getting brought up..
The troubles are returning to Northern Ireland, it is not all rioting despite what the media are trying to portray, there is a large peaceful protest every Saturday in the City Centre who are penned in by heavily armed Police. The same police who are saying publically they are losing patience with the protesters.
All we need is a couple of hoodlums to turn up at that and cause trouble and we will have a Unionist (NOT Loyalist) Bloody Sunday, then we're screwed.
And Mickey, a United Ireland? This time it will be civil war (unless ww3 breaks out) cos during the wee rebellion of almost 100 years ago, we (Unionists) were all in the trenches fighting your buddies the Germans so we missed out on it there,and of course during 'The Troubles' Unionists wren't involved, the Army protected us. Don't mistake Loyalist thugs as representative of anything more than about 1-2%of us at most.
You think all the Northern Irish serving in the Royal Marines, Paras, SAS not to mention the Royal Irish Reg. are not going to do anything? If your Irish, North or South, you should be hoping they just put the flag back and move on.
I don't know if it is true or not, but I remember my Great Grandmother telling me that the reason the flag was flown every day was to remember our war dead. I am sure you know there is and always has been a disproportionately large number of Ulster men (indeed Irish as a whole before partition) who have served in the British Armed Forces.
But, enough of Northern Ireland, it isn't the Falklands and it isn't even a conspiracy just something that has been brewing up for a while and is starting to bubble over.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by dmsuse

True, I used Russia because our relationship with them has always been a rather shaky one. They also are rather close to Alaska. (Sarah Palin could see Russia from her house!)
On the other hand, Canada is practically the 51st US state. Its would be like Kansas trying to invade Missouri. It just doesn't seem very realistic.

Anyways, the Falkland Islands are British. They've been British for nearly 200 years. The islands themselves produce relatively little to no real wealth compared to the rest of the British economy. $105 million GDP (2002 est.) vs the UK's $2.5 trillion. However, if the UK wants to use force if necessary, more power to them.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacifier2012
The Argentinians, like all South American,Mexican and other countries invaded by the Spanish, are hot blooded.

Oh ethnic stereotypes just what this thread needed.

edit on 6-1-2013 by paganini because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by wujotvowujotvowujotvo

The Argentine President has been ramping up the rhetoric for at least 4 years, if not longer. The naming of part of Antarctica had naff all to do with them and more to do with the Jubilee.

Whilst the Argies get themselves tied into knots and stressing out over us, it might irk them to know we don't actually give a toss what they think and don't lose any sleep at night over this..

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ObservingYou
reply to post by boymonkey74

I'm afraid I can not give you a first hand account of when these murders happened - I can however remember clearly, my Scottish friend Alan re-living these memories as his eye's glazed over and he clentched the bar.

Wow, just wow.

I too remember a bloke telling me that he was with another bunch of Aussie soldiers who collected alien space craft from the Australian desert.

He told me this down the pub too!

I'm sorry, but I feel he may have been yanking your chain a little. Alternatively, you may be out right lying. I do tend to suspect the latter as you do not seem to have any clue what the Falklands conflict was about.

Did you know that there were only three civilian deaths in the whole conflict? Three. Victims of a wayward shell that landed on their house. They were not raped, nor were they butchered or gunned down in some sort of cold blooded act.

I feel young man, that you need to brush up on your history a tad.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
First of all: for me they are the Malvinas, second: who invaded first, really... check your history. there were different settlements in different times. Of course the people on the Islands will prefer the British, that's where they came from!!. (I would prefer it also) third: There is 0 chance of war, or invasion, we (argentineans) have no army whatsoever, its just a publicity stunt from our creepy president (Panem et circenses). I would rather focus on the future discussions and battles for the antartic.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by foofighter00

Check your history. Britain settled the islands before Argentina even existed.

The Argentines base their claim on the Spanish claim, which admittedly did pre-date the British one but they conveniently forget that the Spanish gave up their claim in a treaty.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

That's a good point. What I'd really like is for all the people of the world to look at all the land they currently possess and say "This is enough. I will no longer shed blood to assimilate more land into my empire."

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I remember the falklands very well and coming from the portsmouth uk i ought to.I say let the
people decide,they want to stay british then british they shall stay...

Good thread monkey boy

Coming from portsmouth right next to the dockyard where they launched the battle from
in portsea- tough area and overlooking HMS VICTORY the greatest ship the world had known,
heart of our navy, the home of the navy, i remember it well the day war broke out....

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
2nd of april 1982:

Argentine forces invade the Falkland Islands, entering the capital Port Stanley early in the morning. The garrison of Royal Marines is outnumbered and outgunned, and after some brief skirmishes Governor Sir Rex Hunt orders them to lay down their arms. Other British South Atlantic territories including South Georgia are also seized.

3-4 of april 1982:

The UN Security Council condemns the invasion and demands the immediate withdrawal of Argentine forces. Soon afterwards, the British nuclear submarine HMS Conqueror sets sail from Faslane naval base in Scotland.

5 of april 1982:

Aircraft carriers HMS Hermes and HMS Invincible sail from Portsmouth as part of a task force of more than 100 ships. It will take nearly three weeks to travel the 8,000 miles to the South Atlantic. Foreign Secretary Lord Carrington resigns over the invasion and is replaced by Francis Pym.

19 april:

US Secretary of State Alexander Haig attempts to mediate with the Argentine military junta, travelling between London and Buenos Aires to negotiate. His proposals include calls for Argentina to withdraw and for an interim administration on the islands. However, the junta rejects the proposals and signals its insistence on adding guarantees for eventual Argentine sovereignty. The talks are effectively over.

25 april:

South Georgia is retaken by Royal Marines, who quickly overcome the small Argentine garrison following a bombardment by Royal Navy ships. Argentine submarine Santa Fe is badly damaged after being attacked by British helicopters off the capital Grytviken. Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher tells reporters to "rejoice" at the news of the recapture.

SENDS IN SAS AND SBS GAME OVER - THE END FROM THEN ON IN.:

That silly argentine woman needs to keep ones gob shut coming up to cameron that day
mentioning about the falklands when other matters were to be discussed...

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fluffygreenglovepuppet

Did you know that there were only three civilian deaths in the whole conflict? Three. Victims of a wayward shell that landed on their house. They were not raped, nor were they butchered or gunned down in some sort of cold blooded act.

Correct:

British troops take the key objectives of Mount Longdon, Two Sisters and Mount Harriet from the Argentines after bloody hand-to-hand fighting. British destroyer HMS Glamorgan is badly damaged by a shore-launched Exocet missile. Three Falklands civilians, all women, are killed during a British naval bombardment of Stanley.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   
THE BRITISH HARRIER played an extrordinary role in the argentine war and could get
the ground without the use of a run way..

Back on topic: Argentina wouldn't last five minutes against our type 45 destroyers i been on them.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Oh yeah? well maybe he should sort out Northern Ireland first. Has he not noticed the Union flag waving morons rioting in that part of the U.K. ? Have you? oh brave defender.

You could fly to belfast from the mainland for about thirty quid, join up with a local paramilitary group they'd love to have someone with your loyalty. It's your duty to defend your country is it not you don't even need to change any money as it's the U.K and £ pounds Sterling is the currency.

Much easier than going all the way to the falklands.

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes
I really don't like war but I am happy that our brothers and sisters in the south Atlantic are protected by this:

You see that gigantic ball at the top? Well that does some stuff that no other warship can do.

They do an awfull lot, i know exactly what too and been on the ships...

P.S ARGIES DON'T BOTHER MATEYS

General characteristics The Type 45 destroyers are 152.4 m in length, with a beam of 21.2 m and a draught of 7.4 m. This makes them significantly larger than the Type 42 they replace, displacing about 8,000 tonnes[3] compared to 5,200 tonnes of the Type 42. The Type 45 destroyers are the first British warships built to meet the hull requirements of Lloyd's Register's Naval Rules. BAE Systems is the Design Authority for the Type 45, a role traditionally held by the UK Ministry of Defence.[23] Stealth features The design of the Type 45 brings new levels of radar signature reduction to the Royal Navy. Deck equipment and life rafts are concealed behind the ship's superstructure panels, producing a very "clean" superstructure somewhat similar to the French La Fayette class frigates. The mast is also sparingly equipped externally. Advanced air defence The Type 45 design uses the Principal Anti-Air Missile System, now known in Royal Navy service as Sea Viper. It is a joint British, French and Italian design. PAAMS consists of a SAMPSON fire control and tracking radar, MBDA Aster 15 and 30 missile systems and a 48-cell SYLVER vertical missile launcher, giving both short-range and long-range anti-air capability. The PAAMS system is able to control and coordinate several missiles in the air at once, allowing several tracks to be intercepted. The SYLVER VLS missile launcher can be upgraded to accommodate other weapons if necessary. The Daring class have often been considered to be the most powerful air-defence warships in the world.[24] It has been suggested that the SAMPSON radar is capable of tracking an object the size of a cricket ball travelling at three times the speed of sound.[25] Admiral Sir Mark Stanhope has talked of the RN's pride in a Type 45 being asked to switch off PAAMS because it was "constraining the training" in exercises with US forces.[26] Although the Type 45 represents a significant improvement to air defences, her anti-ship capability is currently limited to the single medium calibre gun and helicopter-borne Sea Skua missiles.[27] Armament and sensors Daring embarking on sea trials in 2007 Anti-air Sea Viper missile system. SAMPSON multi-function air tracking radar. (range 400 km) S1850M 3D air surveillance radar, capable of tracking up-to 1,000 targets. (range 400 km) The UAT Mod2.0 digital Radar Electronic Surveillance system was fitted to Daring and Diamond in 2012 as part of a £40m contract with Thales UK that will see UAT Mod2.1 fitted to the other Type 45's.[7] 48 cell SYLVER A-50 VLS for accommodation of up to 48× MBDA Aster missiles. A mix of; Aster 15 - anti-air missiles (range 2–30 km) Aster 30 - anti-air missiles (also anti-ballistic missile capable) (range 3–120 km) Guns 1× BAE Systems 4.5 inch Mk 8 mod 1 gun. The Darings are designed to accommodate a more powerful 155 mm gun upgrade that was studied by the RN in 2008.[28] This 155 TMF programme would have allowed the Navy to share ammunition R&D and logistics with the Army 155 mm guns but was cancelled in the SDSR of 2010. The Type 45 gun will now be upgraded under the Maritime Indirect Fire System programme which will also cover the Type 26 frigate; a decision is due in mid-2012.[29] 2× Oerlikon 30 mm KCB guns on single DS-30B mounts. 2× Miniguns and up to 6× General Purpose Machine Guns.[30] 2× Phalanx 20 mm close-in weapons systems (from 2011).[31] Anti-ship Fitted 'for but not with' 2× quadruple RGM-84 Harpoon anti-ship missile launchers.[32] The embarked Lynx HMA 8 helicopter(s) is capable of carrying Sea Skua anti-ship missiles. The 4.5 inch Mark 8 naval gun has an anti-ship role. Anti-submarine MFS 7000 sonar The embarked Lynx HMA 8 helicopter(s) or Merlin HM1 helicopter is capable of carrying Sting Ray torpedoes. The Merlin HM1 helicopter is fitted with its own dipping sonar and carries sonobuoys. Land attack The Type 45 as it stands has no land-attack missile capability and the SYLVER A50 launcher currently has no capability to fire such a missile. However, should the need arise, it would be possible to fit them with the American Mk. 41 VLS, firing the BGM-109 Tomahawk.[33] The Fire Shadow loitering munition is "compatible with the space envelope" of the Type 45's SYLVER cells[34]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_45_destroyer
BUILT IN PORTSMOUTH UK
The Daring class have often been considered to be the most powerful air-defence warships in the world
edit on 7-1-2013 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join