It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cameron: Britain would fight another war with Argentina to keep the Falkland Islands

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Secondly, Kirchner is currently the opponent of mass opposition rallies in Argentina. In recent months, there have been several marches that are hundreds of thousands strong marching against her government. Argentinians are realising that she really doesn't have a clue, not a good trait for a leader (but one which seems to be in vogue these days!).

Basically, more of the same old same old.............

(Makes sense to me flavian) "She made it a point to approach cameron and mention the falklands
While waving a 1985 act piece of paper which will not amout to much in her defence..
Fair play to cameron for not taking any notice of her publicity stunt! and her muster public support.
(A desperate act),a 'political stunt' on her part, allthough a poor one, which was to deflect the issue
at hand which is her countries financial instability as a whole....
edit on 7-1-2013 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by denver22

It is the same situation as before but back then the military Junta thought to Invade the Island to give Argentina a cause to unite and draw attention away from the turmoil inside Argentina

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Guys I do not want this thread to close seeing we have a couple of Argentinians in the thread giving us their point of view, so 1st read the whole thread If you are new 2nd just be civil please.

Lol your avatar tiuns my stomach
Yes all should be civil

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   

The islanders will have the referendum.. let the ring bearers decide....

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
First time i've had a post removed
I suppose i got a bit angry at being called an inbred lol.
Well i've read all the pages and got to say i've learned alot, especially since i wasn't born when the Falkland war happened.
Hats off to the guys talking sense and S&F for the OP.
Like its been repeated many a time 'let the people living on the Falklands decide'

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Angelic Resurrection

what is your own opinion on the whole situation and is it the same for the majority of Argentina ?

I'm only aware of certain things from people who I know who were there back in 82 and even though he was fighting against Argentina he still had a sense of respect for them.

It would be good to here another point of view as it is rare for some to hear

One of the things he recalls often is launching a 84mm at a bunker then crawling into it afterwards and stopping his IC2 from caving in the head of a Argentine who survived then sticking parts of him back together with glue.....

and seeing one guy carrying his brother in a backpack......
edit on 7-1-2013 by ANDERSON23 because: (no reason given)

and people who don't have a clue like to sit there behind a screen and dictate history like they know something
edit on 7-1-2013 by ANDERSON23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Why do topics like this end up as slagging matches between Brits and Americans??

On topic...If the islanders want to be British then let them....and we will defend them.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucifer84

given the chance I would be 1st on a boat, they are British people who wish to stay that way and this Referendum in March will prove that.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~widowmaker~
reply to post by boymonkey74

Being American, I say GOOD FOR THEM screw British rule ^^....... j/k . But it worked for us ^9
but really it amounts to what this poster said

"What a sleaze ball, this is decoration playing to the voters. And Argentina are in no position for war. Pathetic
And Rupert Murdoch and his toilet rag The Sun can get lost also, it's nothing but sabre rattling to the public."

its just vote gathering, like we did for our elections both Iraq wars. Got votes to go to war, got votes to say we bringing em back lol, the jews for theirs now with all the Iranian talk and Palestinian conflict crap, and IM sure many other countries do it as well. Its called hot air.

You have no say....LMAO

however, how long has America been America...by that I mean independent? It s a little over 200 years isnt it, and the Falklands has been British a little under 200 years.

So by your reckoning, if we give up sovereignty over the Falklands, we have a legal claim for sovereignty over the USA. After all the time scales are roughly equal, and the US was taken by force, (which the Falklands weren't BTW).

Its amazing how quick certain ex-Britishers were to tell current Britishers to stay out of their politics when expressing a view on gun control, and yet also how quick those same ex-Britishers are to express their ignorance over politics and history they will never understand.

From this point forward, all Americans who show a patriotism to their own country and a respect for the legal and peaceful processes of other countries are the only ones I will recognize as true Americans.

Those that only want to disrespect us (the true Brits) are merely disgruntled ex-British who secretly wish they still were Brits. (ever heard the phrase about protesting too much..?)

All the others need to get over themselves, get over the guilt they no doubt harbor over the systematic rape of a nations resources & the near genocide of its indigenous population.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by idmonster

Originally posted by ~widowmaker~
reply to post by boymonkey74

Being American, I say GOOD FOR THEM screw British rule ^^....... j/k . But it worked for us ^9
but really it amounts to what this poster said

"What a sleaze ball, this is decoration playing to the voters. And Argentina are in no position for war. Pathetic
And Rupert Murdoch and his toilet rag The Sun can get lost also, it's nothing but sabre rattling to the public."

its just vote gathering, like we did for our elections both Iraq wars. Got votes to go to war, got votes to say we bringing em back lol, the jews for theirs now with all the Iranian talk and Palestinian conflict crap, and IM sure many other countries do it as well. Its called hot air.

You have no say....LMAO

however, how long has America been America...by that I mean independent? It s a little over 200 years isnt it, and the Falklands has been British a little under 200 years.

So by your reckoning, if we give up sovereignty over the Falklands, we have a legal claim for sovereignty over the USA. After all the time scales are roughly equal, and the US was taken by force, (which the Falklands weren't BTW).

Its amazing how quick certain ex-Britishers were to tell current Britishers to stay out of their politics when expressing a view on gun control, and yet also how quick those same ex-Britishers are to express their ignorance over politics and history they will never understand.

From this point forward, all Americans who show a patriotism to their own country and a respect for the legal and peaceful processes of other countries are the only ones I will recognize as true Americans.

Those that only want to disrespect us (the true Brits) are merely disgruntled ex-British who secretly wish they still were Brits. (ever heard the phrase about protesting too much..?)

All the others need to get over themselves, get over the guilt they no doubt harbor over the systematic rape of a nations resources & the near genocide of its indigenous population.

ETA

Just realized, this might be a bit harsh....I just picked up on a small "j/k" which on re-reading I have assumed marks the previous sentence as humor.

I wont edit the above, as there has been so much brit bashing, I'll leave it as my opinion, howeve, on the re-read, I think you, "widowmaker" probably falls into the true "American" category.

Apologies for the mis-directed bile.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
My friend posted a great letter from his ex para friend on facebook , a very well researched piece and the history of the falklands ! Which shows that the argentines have never cared about the islands and have never had the capacity to even look after it !

will post tonight when I go home

its great , an amazing letter

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Unfortunately for Argentina we British are quite a bloodthirsty nation. We may come across to the rest of the as jolly bumbling bafoons but a very large portion of the uk actively and secretly enjoy being violent and barbaric. Look at the response to 9/11 most people were screaming for blood when it had near enough nothing to do with us, I was college when we went to war with Iraq and believe me here are more ignorant, closet war mongers in this country than not. Even post Iraq with mass protests against occupation in the Middle East people still yearn for British patriotism in the guise of war and show of strength. I work in an old people's dementia home and its ingrained in that generation lived during the downfall of the empire, really wasn't that long ago. This is filtered down into current generations just look at the willingness to stand up to the aggressive Argentina in this case.

If they invade our Falklands brothers and sisters Britain can and will not mess about, we are battle hardened in and out the forces. Argentina should be careful what they wish for, all out war with the British will be red, painful and nasty.

Britain is basically a mixed race of barbaric settlers all interbred since known records, were Germanic, Anglo Saxon, roman Vikings with Celtic pagan roots which backed the bloodiest religion in the crusades. Just learn about how sick and brutal Britain's history is regards to oppression, torture, persecution, dominance aka the blood and guts. We are strangely proud of that...

Just my 0.2
edit on 7-1-2013 by AnalyticalDreamer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by wujotvowujotvowujotvo
What was the purpose of UK naming part of its claimed Antarctic sector Queen Elizabeth Land?

Queen Elizabeth is named official Head of State for the Falklands/Malvinas

This was almost 2 weeks before Argentina's letter to UK newspapers.

Who was the first to raise tensions in the latest 'timeline event'?

In honour of her 60 years on the throne! And what does naming a part of British antartic after the head of state have to do with Argentina?

In fact, what does the name I give to any plot of land under the sun have to do with anyone else. Do you think it bothers us in the slightest that the Argentinians call the Falklands Las Malvina? Who cares, its just a name. They can call it anything they like, as long as they remember who owns it.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
IF the Argentinians are silly enough to start a 2nd Falklands war, would our army bomb all the military bases and sites in Argentina? would that not leave Argentina undefended from its neighbours?, would Britain have a rite to claim Argentina as part of the British Empire when we win? if not would we dismantle the Argentine army and build some British military bases on Argentine land to watch over them more and make sure no neighbours invade them while they try and recover?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
First, I'm an American and whatever the Brits do is their business. But it just makes me think about what would happen if someone tried taking one of our territories. I remember back during the Clinton Administration when China was practicing some war games near Taiwan and were babbling on about their "One China" and how the islands were theirs. Bill Clinton was being interviewed (by whom, I cannot remember) and asked about Taiwan. He said that the U.S. would protect Taiwan by any means necessary. When asked if that included nuclear weapons he repeated, "by any means necessary." Taiwan isn't even a U.S. territory and Bill was about the most anti war Pres we ever had. What if someone actually tried to take something from us? WOW

Brits, I think you have every right to protect your sovereignty. And those islands are very strategic too.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by blobby

Highly doubtful one I don't think we are strong enough two talk about a major uproar we would be seen as being the neo empire

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by blobby
IF the Argentinians are silly enough to start a 2nd Falklands war, would our army bomb all the military bases and sites in Argentina? would that not leave Argentina undefended from its neighbours?, would Britain have a rite to claim Argentina as part of the British Empire when we win? if not would we dismantle the Argentine army and build some British military bases on Argentine land to watch over them more and make sure no neighbours invade them while they try and recover?

None of the above. It would be an operation to remove Argentine forces from the Falklands, although bombing of key military installations in Argentina would be likely. Well, i say bombing. Cruise Missile strikes would be more accurate - why risk air crews when missiles could be directed from thousands of miles away?

However, on yet another Falkland's thread, please let me state again that i hope war doesn't happen. I honestly do not think it will either. It is simply more diversionary tactics in order to divert attention away from domestic problems and then Cameron being asked constant questions about it.

I like Argentina. They play rugby so they are clearly decent people!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by blobby

Very good point, and in keeping with conspiracy.

Maybe Argentina will start a war knowing they will lose....Who then becomes resposible for the debt of the country? Or are all previous debts wiped out?

A question to the more politically astute.
In modern warfare, occupying armies tend to be less malevolent than in the past, not treating indigenous population badly, rather, attempting to rebuild a better, more internationally sociable country existed before the conflict.

If Argentina lost an EU backed war and the EU took control of Argentinian assets as an occupying army. Would the EU then be responsible for any debt?

If so, could we see Greece starting a ruckus with Germany next?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I say dont even mention it. The second they TRY to set foot on the Islands, you bomb the hell out of ALL their military installations. I would then send in ground troops to remove all remaining ground forces and hardware on the islands AND Argentina.

Them leave after destroying their entire military arsenal.

edit on 7-1-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join