It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Quake Swarm Has Started Near Yellowstone Lake!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
While your YLT station seems to be a little active, the YMR station has more activity right now.

The YMR station is Madison River.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Good catch! I checked the thumbnails shortly after the AK quake, but this swarm hadn't started up yet. Looks to be going on still...rather steady, but very small.

Eager to see where these are located.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads-up TA!
Haven't been watching the backyard too closely as of late, but maybe I should start paying a little more attention. I saw a post you had made in another thread concerning the 7.7 off the West Coast of Canada in which you mentioned the possibility of it triggering activity here, and my first thought was "Oh no, not again..."

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Here is a LINK to a map and seven day rolling list of everything at Yellowstone from 0.1 and up. If Yellowstone is really having a swarm it will show up here as the seven day list gets really long. Right now there are only a few recordable quakes in Yellowstone.

ETA - If you don't know the scale a seismograph is set to then you are not going to get useful information out of it. Some very quiet areas will have the scale set so fine that a moose taking a whiz will show up on it.
edit on 6-1-2013 by happykat39 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I've read some estimates as to how long it would take for various towns to be incinerated if Yellowstone blows. They say about 8 seconds for mine. No point worrying about an event I will have no time to react to. Wish I could remember where I saw the info.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by cuopar
I've read some estimates as to how long it would take for various towns to be incinerated if Yellowstone blows. They say about 8 seconds for mine. No point worrying about an event I will have no time to react to. Wish I could remember where I saw the info.

Go to the discovery channel or Amazon dot com and search for the discovery Channel's DVD, Supervolcano. It is the best docudrama about what would happen if Yellowstone erupted that I have seen yet.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Hey boo-boooo

Thanks for the laugh.
edit on 6-1-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
ANOTHER post about earthquakes in Yellowstone..... no, its not plows, they don't run this time of year.... PEOPLE...... this is what happens all the time around here. And this is why there are sooooooooo many posts like the one I am responding to. If you check the archives you will see posts about seismic activity in Yellowstone ad nauseum (over and over and over until people get sick of it). It's a geologically and seismically and volcanic activity area, hence the geysers, hot springs, boiling mud pots.... and if people checked it out before posting like this, they might find better use of their time. I've lived here for over 30 years. This is in No Way uncommon. This is Life As Usual for our area. Newbies find it interesting, horrifying, get their Chicken Little outfits on and talk about The End...... and life goes on. I don't blame them, I do blame posters that don't bother to find out that they are simply repeating what has been done over and over and over and over and over......... if they lived near a train track, an airport, a highway.... and freaked out everytime something rumbled by.... they need to move or seek help. Minor seismic activity is daily occurrence. Minor swarms, not daily but still very frequent. This is no more NEWS than is the sun amazingly rising every day and the moon changing phases each month. Research before you post, or just copy older posts as this is just another of a long string of the same stuff. The tide comes in, the tide goes out. Seismic activity in Yellowstone? SHOCKING!

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Sadly Yogi and Boo Boo have pasted away,they're remains are all ashes and are being filled in like those victims of Pompeii.Hanna Barbara are keeping this under wraps as they are part of the new world order and don't want chaos from the info.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
You can usually expect other quakes around the regions of the 2 tectonic plates that are rubbing together, that kinda goes hand in hand with giant fissures deep in the ground smashing together, because it's like a ripple effect radiating outwards from the point of origin.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Am I right in thinking that the really big quakes in the last few years, (China, New Zealand, Japan, etc) were all around this time of year and they were each preceded by a 7+M about two weeks before the 'main event'?
If i recall correctly that was one the smoking guns the 'comet-elinin' brigade were citing as portents of doom as they coincided with the apoges of Elinien.

And not to stir the pot or anything arent we about a month away from another close approach?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Yeah and like the last one ,and the one before that, and the one before that..... and the one before that.

Nothing will happen.

Signed
Henny Penny

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacifier2012
Yeah and like the last one ,and the one before that, and the one before that..... and the one before that.

Nothing will happen.

Signed
Henny Penny

The average time between major Yellowstone eruptions is 600,000 years. It is now over 640,000 years since the last one. That means, according to the average, we are more than 40,000 years overdue. But at that time scale another 1,000 or 2,000 years before the next one is quite possible. Or, it could be going off as I type this. Not even the vulcanologists can say when it will happen. All they can do is monitor the situation and occasionally run in circles and scream and shout that the world as we know it is about to end.

there have been swarms of note in 2004, 2009 and 2010. SOURCE

One of them even had FEMA getting ready for a disaster. But like always, they eventually died down.

Knowing when Yellowstone will go off again is more uncertain than knowing when the second coming will happen. At least with the second coming the bible tells us what signs to watch for so we at least know the "season" if not the date.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jaxnmarko

So I guess the USGS should just pack up all of their seismos, leave and find something more interesting to do instead... Yeah... Lets not monitor it at all hey?.. Lets all live in your world of totally certainty of nothing to see here... We could have "stick our fingers in our ears and sing lalala" parties.. We could wear rose tinted specticles all day...

Fact is.. One day this thing WILL blow... Its not a matter of if but when.. And when it does it will nigh on be an extinction level event even affecting little old me in the UK..

So the more we study this monsters burps and farts.. The more we understand its isdiosyncrisies.. The better prepared we can all be WHEN it blows..

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle

Originally posted by Aleister
A woman I know said recently that she'd like to move to the Yellowstone region. She didn't know about the potential of a superquake, and I didn't tell her (it's a scary thought if you don't yet have it in your personal universe). She's a long way from actually doing it. And I know, even if you live hundreds or thousands of miles away it will get you, but the thought of living right on top of it, naw.

no need to worry about location for this volcano, if it erupts everyone worldwide will be done for as it's well known as a possible extinction level event and the possibility isn't in the magnitude, it's in the likelihood of it erupting.

thanks OP for bringing this to our attention and that's why i love this place, so much information our anemic govt. and MSM will never tell us about.

This is not correct.

Firstly, Yellowstone can erupt with two quite different scenarios.

The first and more likely is a steam event. The lake bottom falls to pieces exposing the entire volume of water in the lake to lava and extreme temperatures and you have an explosion. The effect while catastrophic is localized.

The second is a volcanic eruption. Since Yellowstone is located within the Northern Hemisphere the resultant Volcanic Winter would be largely confined to the Northern Hemisphere.

This event can not be classed as an extinction level event since the Southern hemisphere would largely survive.

P

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

This event can not be classed as an extinction level event since the Southern hemisphere would largely survive. 
reply to post by pheonix358

Oh...

Thats OK then..

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Seismic activity is nice, but the true test is the measure of the bulging via GPS... If the bulging is growing then you know there is massive pressure building up... Shakes is a "venting" process... If the bulge stays and keeps growing, then we are in trouble...

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB

Oh...

Thats OK then..

It is for me.
Sucks to be you

Population control by mother nature

P

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Thanks for the laugh

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
OK,..TrueAmerican is the new DragonRider,..... where is WITD when you need him!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join