It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

74 year old Maine man charged in deaths of teenage tenants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Full article here: James Pak arrested after standoff with police

BIDDEFORD, Maine — A 74-year-old Maine man was charged in the shooting deaths of two tenants inside an apartment he rented out at his home, possibly over a dispute about where they parked their cars during a snowstorm, state police said Sunday.

James Pak was arrested at about 10 p.m. Saturday following a standoff at his suburban neighborhood home in Biddeford, about 15 miles south of Portland, police said. He is charged with two counts of murder in the deaths of Derrick Thompson, 19, and Thompson's girlfriend, 18-year-old Alivia Welch.

Read more: www.wcvb .com

The first thing that came to mind when I heard about this on the news was ".....murdered.....just because of a dispute about where they parked their cars?" Just crazy. I know that it was a "possibility" that that is why they were murdered, but still tragic and unnecessary.

Crimes happen a lot more often than you think up here in Maine, but this one struck me as odd, horrible, and senseless all at the same time.

Please feel free to share your perspectives on this.

I tried searching for any mention of this story but could not find it anywhere. Also, if this is in the wrong place, please move it. Wasn't entirely sure where to put it. Thank you.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Cherry0

Maybe the old guy was sick.

My friend's Dad live up the street from me. He gets low blood sugar, or something...(not sure what he has) but If he doesn't take his medicine right he gets all messed up and sometimes blacks out and does messed up stuff.

Not too long ago he went and got his shot gun and went out into his yard and shot a raccoon. We live in a boro...not a good idea. lol But he didn't really remember doing it, and felt really bad about it. He's NOT normally like that at all.

He got a fine.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Cherry0

Another reason why gun control will be inevitable and home owners will no longer be able to bear firearms at home. Senseless acts like these disgusts me.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Cherry0

I don't believe it. I mean it's possible, but usually people don't live it 74 by being irrational, or violent.

I don't see why this old man would do this. Not that it couldn't be exactly what happened, but it seems strange.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightSunshine
reply to post by Cherry0

Maybe the old guy was sick.

My friend's Dad live up the street from me. He gets low blood sugar, or something...(not sure what he has) but If he doesn't take his medicine right he gets all messed up and sometimes blacks out and does messed up stuff.

Not too long ago he went and got his shot gun and went out into his yard and shot a raccoon. We live in a boro...not a good idea. lol But he didn't really remember doing it, and felt really bad about it. He's NOT normally like that at all.

He got a fine.

That is certainly a possibility. Thanks for sharing.

I haven't seen any detail pertaining to the man's physical or mental health. Perhaps we may find out more as the court hearings proceed.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011
reply to post by Cherry0

Another reason why gun control will be inevitable and home owners will no longer be able to bear firearms at home. Senseless acts like these disgusts me.

It sure doesn't help, no. But people need to realize that this was the man's doing. He is the one solely responsible and it has nothing to do with the gun itself. He just chose to use the gun as the weapon. If he didn't have the gun, he may have just used something else, such as a knife.

But I am more concerned with the reasons behind this tragedy. It just seems odd that he would just do that over something so trivial. Perhaps there is more to this than meets the eye. I wonder if he has any past arrests or any other criminal records.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by Cherry0

I don't believe it. I mean it's possible, but usually people don't live it 74 by being irrational, or violent.

I don't see why this old man would do this. Not that it couldn't be exactly what happened, but it seems strange.

I completely agree, that is why I am interested to see how this plays out in the courts and with what the investigators come up with.

I'll update when I see any new info come forth.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Cherry0

there are old guys robbing banks these days and for them its either make out with a bunch of money, or go to jail, i see it as an old man knowing death is upon him, and him not giving a f*ck what happens to him in the last years of his life, plus he goes to jail getting free meals everyday and a warm place to sleep, more and more old people think this way, especially the ones with nothing to lose. i almost think that we should cut through the judicial bullsh*t and just hang them(not just old, but all) after a guilty verdict is served. but this guy will probably live out his life in a prison and die before his sentence causing tax payers money. I am starting to dislike are current system. anybody else feel me?
edit on 4-1-2013 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I have some more information in regards to this case. Source: www.denverpost.com

James Pak, of Biddeford, walked into the apartment attached to his home and told the tenants he was going to shoot them before following through on his threat, police wrote. A third tenant survived by playing dead and hiding behind a Christmas tree. Pak allegedly told police he spared the life of a 6-year-old boy who lived in the apartment but thought he killed three adults.

Read more: www.denverpost.com

Also, in regards to the reasons behind it:

Pak had alcohol on his breath and told police he was suicidal and wanted to die, the affidavit reads.

Read more: www.denverpost.com

I think I'm beginning to understand why this happened now.

The article also goes into little more detail about the personal life of the 74 year old man, where he had worked and such.

top topics

join