It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senators Got 154-Page 'Fiscal Cliff' Bill 3 Minutes Before Voting on It

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Vidpci

I am hoping that even though they could not read 154 pages in 3 minutes, that somehow, they actually had lengthy discussions about the content prior to the vote. I mean, it could be possible they already knew what was in the legislation without it having been typed up.

Truly, if they signed legislation without any prior knowledge of content, they should be removed from office for incompetence.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainEnigma

the 8 who voted against were democrats and republicans.

Tom Carper (D-Del.),Tom Harkin (D-IA), Mike Lee (R-UT), Rand Paul (R-KY), Richard Shelby (R-AL), Michael Bennet (D-CO), Chuck Grassley (R-IA) and Marco Rubio (R-FL).

Carper explains his nay vote here:
www.nbcphiladelphia.com...

and businessinsider gives a paragraph for each one of the nay voters, explaining their reasoning

www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Oh well, if they could pull this crap for the thousands pages of Obamacare, why the heck not for a mere 154 pages (which, by the way, includes several provisions that are unrelated to the fiscal cliff)?

Go figure.

edit on 3-1-2013 by Jess117 because: I'm a magician.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I would like to see Evelyn Wood tackle that one. The whole thing reminds me of Nancy Pelosi saying that "we have to pass the bill to learn what is in the bill."

edit on 3-1-2013 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Well, with any luck, they all just voted themselves an extreme pay lowering.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

That would be too beautiful... "Um, guys...did anyone else catch the earmark on page 84? Apparently, we're working for donations now..."

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I wish I could pay someone under the table, to slip in a clause, to drop me a few million buckaroos. They aren't reading it anyhow. Big government.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by zayonara

Don't see why you wouldn't be able to...special interest groups do it all the time...

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vidpci

Senators Got 154-Page 'Fiscal Cliff' Bill 3 Minutes Before Voting on It

cnsnews.com

(CNSNews.com) – The U.S. Senate voted 89-8 to approve legislation to avoid the fiscal cliff despite having only 3 minutes to read the 154-page bill and budget score.

Multiple Senate sources have confirmed to CNSNews.com that senators received the bill at approximately 1:36 AM on Jan. 1, 2013 – a mere three minutes before they voted to approve it at 1:39 AM.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Hey, for all you bashers......Three minutes is all of us representees deserve..

If you didn't get the memo, just update your new contact information right here.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Wow, not like any modern politicians have needed a reason to push off on addressing a real problem.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vidpci

I don't know about you, but I sure as hell can't read 154 pages in 3 minutes. How about you? How are these people "representing" the United States citizens when they're not even reading the bills they pass?

At best, these people knew the gist of what was being passed, and took a vote. At worst, they just pass what they're told to. Either way, the entire process has become a joke. These people aren't here to represent us! They're there to be corrupt scum out to get what they can for themselves.

This is sickening. READ THE DAMN BILL! Is that really so much to ask?! READ WHAT YOU VOTE ON! This country has turned into such a joke.

cnsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

lol

yep, this country is ...lol

LOL

i wonder what it will take for a revolution?

when american idol is cancelled?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Reading this article I can just imagine the Senate majority leader saying as these are passed out.:Vote bit*hes vote, you got 3 minutes" Counting over here now get it done.. It makes you hate these institutions.They are so evil and corrupt they seem impossible to turn around without some sort of drastic action to recalculate their calculus on what is acceptable to the American electorate.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
...The people who wrote the biii, I.e. the senior party leaders know exactly what's in it.

Hi Randomname,

Can you please elaborate, in more detail, exactly who composed and wrote it? Was it the legal staff of The Apollo Alliance?

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
This is just the example of how our government deal with things...later. They just wait it out until their time is up and then they walk out, but what else can they do change the world??

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I still don't know what the hell a "fiscal cliff" is supposed to be and they've been talking about this stuff for a lot more than 3 minutes, like talking about it outside of closed doors is supposed to be some sort of useless formality or something. Not sure I really even care about it, they're going to take whatever they want and who's going to be the guy to stop them?

I say the entire American economy needs to go under the table and cut all the "middlemen" out of the loop, it can function just fine without them.
edit on 4-1-2013 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Donahue

Not True. Technically, the "UNITED STATES" is the Business - a For Profit CORPORATION legally listed on the S.E.C. However, it has been 'demoted' and is now under the 'State Code' lists.

"America" is the name of the Geographic Land Mass, and the proper name of its Population by 'Nation.'

But I am glad to see so many finding these things out now.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Heck, bills are just like the Terms and Conditions now

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join