It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senators Got 154-Page 'Fiscal Cliff' Bill 3 Minutes Before Voting on It

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
The eight senators voting no were Michael Bennet (D-CO), Tom Carper (D-DE), Charles Grassley (R-IA), Tom Harkin (D-IA), Mike Lee (R-UT), Rand Paul (R-KY), Marco Rubio (R-FL), and Richard Shelby (R-AL).

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Presumably overseas they are touting this as a "political" success.

It seems the stock markets really like it......

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
And this is supposed to be the most transparent government according to Obama? What happened to posting these bills for 5 days before voting on them?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
So uh....

Months of planning

Months of worrying

Months of fear mongering

Months of stock market turmoil

Months of pointless arguing and debate in congress

Months of stressing.....

Last minute bill, magically gets created on the day of deadline, when there was nothing in sight the day before.

Passed in 3 minutes!

Even Obama had it signed by autopen. While he enjoys his Hawaii vacation.

Fiscal cliff averted....

Nothing to see here people, move along.
edit on 3-1-2013 by xxshadowfaxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
you know what really bugs me about this, someone pointed to four more years
of hope and change, as if obamas administration is the first to do this kind
of thing, this happen ALL the time and has under many repubs and dems,
the sickest part is they have somehow convinced you guys that one side
would never sink so low, the patriot act, how many pages was that, 1500+?
brought up and passed before we had any clue what was in it, i could
list hundreds and hundreds, why cant everyone just admit its ALL of them
VS the people, none of them give one little iota what it says in that bill
because they know they cant or don't want to change it........

they have already won to be honest, people care more about party lines
then the loss of our freedoms, what SHOULD be said about this is that
a law needs to be made that a bill cannot be passed unless READ
thoroughly and nitpicked and questioned and explained thoroughly......
these are the things that will effect my life and yours, i darn well want
to know what it says before its law....... this is most assuredly a way
to destroy an already unstable economy.......

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
It doesn't work that way.

The people who wrote the biii, I.e. the senior party leaders know exactly what's in it.

The two sides were in agreement and then voted on it.

The handing out of copies was just a formality.

They voted on party lines.

Political parties have leadership and hierarchal structures. The junior members vote on the suggestion of the party leaders. They can read the full details later or at anytime.

If they go against the party on such matters they will find themselves without support and backing, funding and basically sitting alone unable to get anything done.

If they can't get anything done for their constituents, The people who voted for them, They will most likely not get re elected.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Amazing to think that Obama signed an executive order giving them all raises a few days ago! Not only do they not deserve raises, but they don't need raises at the kind of salaries that they are making. IMHO.

Sal

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vidpci

I don't know about you, but I sure as hell can't read 154 pages in 3 minutes. How about you? How are these people "representing" the United States citizens when they're not even reading the bills they pass?

At best, these people knew the gist of what was being passed, and took a vote. At worst, they just pass what they're told to. Either way, the entire process has become a joke. These people aren't here to represent us! They're there to be corrupt scum out to get what they can for themselves.

This is sickening. READ THE DAMN BILL! Is that really so much to ask?! READ WHAT YOU VOTE ON! This country has turned into such a joke.

cnsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

The key will be - in a few months - figuring out what *other* legislation was sneaked in.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SquirrelNutz

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!! no to forget that most big legislation are open to loopholes, change, redactions, fixing and adding, just like Obamacare and all the crap that is coming out of it now.

But rest assure people, your wallet will be getting gouged as usual

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by Vidpci

Naw....

They don't need to read the bill. They know exactly whats in the bill. Nothing that's really going to help this Country. This game is getting old.

This plausible-deniability crap is getting old. We should force a switch to criminal-accountability!

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vidpci

I don't know about you, but I sure as hell can't read 154 pages in 3 minutes. How about you? How are these people "representing" the United States citizens when they're not even reading the bills they pass?

At best, these people knew the gist of what was being passed, and took a vote. At worst, they just pass what they're told to. Either way, the entire process has become a joke. These people aren't here to represent us! They're there to be corrupt scum out to get what they can for themselves.

This is sickening. READ THE DAMN BILL! Is that really so much to ask?! READ WHAT YOU VOTE ON! This country has turned into such a joke.

cnsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Oh...they DID read it. It was the same exact one that Obama handed them weeks ago.

This one just came from Biden's hands and since he's white...it's all OK.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

The fiscal cliff was not averted.

A bill had to have been passed by 12:00AM 1/1/13 to keep the Bush tax cuts. This was late, it wasn't intended to "save us" from the fiscal cliff. It was implemented at the EXACT time it was to LOOK like it was to dodge the fiscal cliff, it wasn't.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Good thing they ended the Payroll Tax holiday. I am thrilled to be paying an additional 2% of my gross pay.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by tinhattribunal

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!! That's good one, he auto signed it of course not!

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donahue
because america is a business not a government.

I wish this statement was true. If it was, the U.S. wouldn't be $16 Tillion in debt. It would be profitable and if it wasn't, the President would be fired on the spot without any red tape to hold up the process.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Maybe they called in this guy to read it before it was voted on. I mean, he had a whole 3 minutes.

The world's fastest reader is Howard Berg, who made it into the Guinness Book of World Records for reading at 25,000 words per minute.
(Source)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Didn't they use the same tactic regarding the Patriot Act? Ooooooh, when will the sheeple finally GET IT? When, EXACTLY, does this "Great Awakening" occur? Seems to me, like the sheep are grazing in the pasture.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Uh, did you all click on the link of this so called news? I did. Consider the source, folks. I was less than impressed by this CNS, which calls itself a news organization. It's nothing but a right wing shill. And I see that they are begging for money too, News organization, my ass! You should know better than to get any legitimate news from them. Right up there with drudge and breitbart. Good grief!

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
There was, most likely, a fact sheet posted the detailed the key aspects of which are, as follows:

screwing almost everyone who is employed by ditching the payroll tax relief.

screwing anyone who makes over $400,000 ($450,000 if your married)

avoiding doing anything about the spending cuts for two months

If not, perhaps they all used this

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

I think something was mentioned that part of the 8 who voted against it were part of the TEA Party. Still trying to stand up for America, it looks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join