It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"San Francisco And Oakland Crowds Hand Over Guns In Buyback"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Now criminals in those cities can barge right into homes confident that they won't be shot, point a gun at these people and steal their $200. Perfect!

For me, it doesn't matter who gets shot by alleged lunatic lone gunmen. That only makes me want to protect myself more. No amount of victims will change my mind about that.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
UK, Austalia, USA!

Sounds a lot like the world wars, always last in line usa.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
From the observation of these guns, they are cheap bolt action, to single shot, most if not all are worth roughly $150.00 to $200.00 dollars. Tack on a bad economy and nickle and dime stores such as a hock shop would only offer around $50.00 a piece for this type of outdated junk.

Hell i think the men and women whom made $200.00 a piece for their junk weapons made a dam good profit on the deal.

Kudos to all these individuals whom used this capatilistic program to make a buck

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

If you're standing in my home with a gun, trying to steal $200 chances are you're not going to shoot me. Guns, are used by criminals to scare their victims as well as give them a sense of superiority( it works.) Chances are a criminal is not going to shoot you unless he is there to do just that. At which point any weapon in a closed space is your friend. Personally, if a criminal came in my house with a gun I'd rather hit him with a taser, or a bat have him captured and tried for attempted murder. Broke into my home, in the night with a gun. Pretty easy to get him locked up with a bunch of sweaty angry horny men that will rape the bejeezes out of him. I'd much rather sleep cozy knowing he's in the closest place to hell on earth, than resting peacefully in the dirt.

Besides, haven't there been court cases of criminals getting hurt in peoples homes then suing the pants off them? Why risk shooting him, and having him say he thought he saw someone break in to my home and was trying to investigate. Not worth it if you ask me.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

I wonder how many of those guns were stolen and sold to the cops by the criminals who stole them? I seriously doubt anyone checked to see if each firearm was registered to the person who turned it in.

Also, I think it wasn't right to do this at Christmas time, taking advantage of poor people's financial desperation. I feel like it's underhanded.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
You can bet a lot of cops just got their gun collections fleshed out with free weapons from the pile before they ever hit the chopper.......

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I guess those tree huggers will soon find out that throwing a box of granola at a home invasion robber won't save them.
I will be watching the crime stats in that area.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Underworlds

Actually I could see doing this...

I can acquire most of what was in the photos for about $70 dollars apiece... Which leaves me with 130...

Then I can go by another one and have an extra $60 dollars in my pocket..

now if it is a no questions asked.... bring about 10 friends each with ten guns and we clear six grand....

Thus the problem with this buy back theory... not exactly smart.....

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hijinx
reply to post by Urantia1111

If you're standing in my home with a gun, trying to steal $200 chances are you're not going to shoot me. Guns, are used by criminals to scare their victims as well as give them a sense of superiority( it works.) Chances are a criminal is not going to shoot you unless he is there to do just that. At which point any weapon in a closed space is your friend. Personally, if a criminal came in my house with a gun I'd rather hit him with a taser, or a bat have him captured and tried for attempted murder. Broke into my home, in the night with a gun. Pretty easy to get him locked up with a bunch of sweaty angry horny men that will rape the bejeezes out of him. I'd much rather sleep cozy knowing he's in the closest place to hell on earth, than resting peacefully in the dirt.

Besides, haven't there been court cases of criminals getting hurt in peoples homes then suing the pants off them? Why risk shooting him, and having him say he thought he saw someone break in to my home and was trying to investigate. Not worth it if you ask me.

Wow....I'm literally beside myself trying to process your train of thought.

Chances of me "second guessing" the intentions of the person who just broke into my house, when the lives of my children may be at stake, are exactly equal to zero.

I don't know how many cases I've read about and seen in the news where the victim "complied" and still got shot and killed.

Hell, it just happened a couple months ago at a local convenience store...Clerk handed over all the money, was docile and compliant, bad guy got his loot and turned and shot the clerk dead on his way out. Right there on video.

Only a damn fool "second guesses" the intent of a criminal. A Damn Fool!

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I will be willing to bet, the crime stats in Oakland and San Fran will not go down. People saw an oppurtunity to make 200 dollars. Would really like to know if where the guns came from, that they turned in. They have been doing gun buybacks out there for awhile. Crime in Oakland hasn't really changed, in fact in 2011 it went up.

www.opoa.org

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
In some of the pictures I seen some well built side by sides, and semi auto shotguns.

From reports, a lot of them are their parent’s and grandparent’s guns.

I know there is a whole fleet of parents, and grandparents that are spinning in their graves right now.

I looked at a lot of pictures and mostly I saw older bolt action small caliber rifles and old SKS Chinese and a bunch of auto shot guns with a vast majority of hand guns that look like real old police .32 revolvers.

My two cents on this is the vast majority of those guns would not get 200 bucks if they tried to sell them, so it was a good move to sell at 200, plus how many even actually worked? Getting the old revolvers off the streets was good since that would be what a poor petty criminal would most likely afford.

I didn't see any 1000 to 4000 dollar ARs in the mix and very few auto pistols, so I'm betting any gun that was worth much more than 200 most likely was hot and that was still a good price and a good move to get them off the streets.

Still, large caliber semi-auto pistols and ARs type weapons are a richer man's game and I doubt we will see anything in that range that can easily be sold extremely quickly for so much more. As someone said though, there might be some grand pappies turning over in their grave as their die hard liberal grand children turn over an antique.

On a side note...I wonder if anyone was checking out the guns in the long line and seeing a nice weapon offering more on the spot....hehe

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

Holy crap thats a lot of guns...wanna bet the majority of them were either stolen or illegally obtained?

SKS Chinese

I used to own one of these,bought it sometime around 92. 100 bucks brand new at a pawnshop in east texas.
Mot accurate rifle I ever shot.
edit on 12/23/2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I am going to go there and buy them for 250 each. Or more if they are worth it.
Set up a nice little booth, bring in licensed dealer and set up shop right next to the police.
edit on 23-12-2012 by smashdem because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

In some of the pictures I seen some well built side by sides, and semi auto shotguns.

From reports, a lot of them are their parent’s and grandparent’s guns.

I know there is a whole fleet of parents, and grandparents that are spinning in their graves right now.

I looked at a lot of pictures and mostly I saw older bolt action small caliber rifles and old SKS Chinese and a bunch of auto shot guns with a vast majority of hand guns that look like real old police .32 revolvers.

My two cents on this is the vast majority of those guns would not get 200 bucks if they tried to sell them, so it was a good move to sell at 200, plus how many even actually worked? Getting the old revolvers off the streets was good since that would be what a poor petty criminal would most likely afford.

Money is not the point of my statement.

There is certain things you do not sell, or get rid of, no mater what the price. My grandfathers oil lantern. The single shot shotgun that belonged to one of my other grandfathers. My great grandfathers pocket watch.

Certain things that your parents have entrusted to you, which their parents entrusted to them. You are responsible for the safe keeping of it. If they didn’t trust you, they wouldn’t have given it to you.

Doing something like that will earn you an instant trip to hell as for as many people are concerned.

People taking their grandparents, and great grandparents stuff in to get chopped up to get an extra 200, just makes me want to scream.

edit on 23-12-2012 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Urantia1111
Now criminals in those cities can barge right into homes confident that they won't be shot, point a gun at these people and steal their $200. Perfect!

For me, it doesn't matter who gets shot by alleged lunatic lone gunmen. That only makes me want to protect myself more. No amount of victims will change my mind about that.

Most of the guns criminals have come from homes of gun owers the rob. Then again what are the odds of perfectly inocent person being the victim of a home invasion? You have far betters odds of shooting yourself then you ever do a criminal. I have never had to draw a weapon at home but, I also practice gun safety and also secure my weapons. Something clearly most gun owners do not. They are the problem.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

People like that, think they are so much wiser than their parents, grandparent, etc. When infact it was their parents, grandparents, etc. that were wiser. We can learn alot from past generations,. they did things for a reason. We do things now because we feel we have too, or to excuse actions of others. Turning in guns may make these people feel safer, however they are infact less safe.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

Don't you mean most city gun owners? Most hunters are educated in safe and security of firearms. Most hunters are country folk. I trust those from the country far more than those from the city.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
So? Your article is from an extreme right wing propaganda site. No one is forcing anyone to turn in their guns.

I really don't see anything wrong with this.

"extreme right wing"- really, please define your demonisation "extreme", just how "extreme" does it get- what silly and erroneous language

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
thats lik the person place to rob someone... you kow they just turned in their guns and you know they have at least $200 in cash on them.. YAH! the bloods and crypts could have a field day waiting on the other side of the line.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

People taking their grandparents, and great grandparents stuff in to get chopped up to get an extra 200, just makes me want to scream.

There was a lady that took her dads WWII gun into one of these to get 100 bucks, and it turned out to be one of the only German AK47 style guns in existence, one that the AK 47 was designed from...worth 25k or so... Luckily one of the cops told her she needs to take that gun back home and sell it to a collector instead.

I would have really of liked to be able to hang around that place while this went on with 10k in my hands to get the good ones.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join