It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"San Francisco And Oakland Crowds Hand Over Guns In Buyback"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by slowisfast

I completely agree. That can't be the real photo of the event.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by geldib

The photo is from a gun buy back in Los Angeles

LINK

LAPD Police Chief Charlie Beck and Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villiaraigosa with guns recovered over the weekend in the annual gun buy back. Residents are given grocery store coupons for turning in their weapons with no questions asked. Over 1,000 guns were recovered, 53 of them were assault weapons. The guns are all destroyed by the LAPD. Photo by David Crane/Staff Photographer

edit on 23-12-2012 by MagicWand67 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotAnAspie

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by NotAnAspie

Are you sure you are not an aspie? Talk about blowing a gasket......

That's got nothing to do with being an aspie...

I'm trying to read up on some news here, form my own opinions and ask my own questions only to have people argue with me about things that aren't going to change or solve anything... I don't like playing this game. Big time waster.

I'm not going to answer any more replies to my mere opinions until somebody quotes my post for something that will benefit ME as well... and that is telling me how long this has been going on.

Yes, I have opinions. Sorry if you don't like.
Today, I do not have time to try to convince you.

Does anybody know when they started doing this?

When you ask how long has this been going on, do you mean gun buybacks? While I was looking up the articles I quoted above, I saw mention of someone who had been organizing buybacks for 12 years (and that was in 2008). So it's been going on for awhile.

I also saw other mentions during my search, at least one by a police officer and one by a city official (I don't remember which city), that many of the guns had either been stolen during burglaries or taken from older family members without their permission. However, there were no prosecutions because no questions had been asked or IDs taken from the sellers.

If I have a point, it's that these are "feel-good" projects, usually organized by do-gooders who think they're removing illegal weapons from the streets. In fact they're mostly guns that are either "hot" (probably having been used in previous crimes), or no longer needed by their owners--whether hand-me-downs. or buyer's remorse, or what-the-hell-I-can-get-rid-of-this-$20-saturday-night-special-for-200-bucks-and-buy-something-decent....
edit on 12/23/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
yeah, I meant buybacks.

So pretty much during the Obama administration but the size has increased in this case.... and this was partially funded by a medicinal mj dispenser.

I'm thinking I might somehow fall for this.

I mean what's really to complain about?

These were probably turned over by a lot of people who needed the money... so at least none of these broke ass people will be robbing any body later.

I wonder if they will be stopping by the dispensary later since they got some money in their pocket.

I gotta hand it to them, they have a hell of a racket there and the worst thing that is going to happen, is somebody's gonna get to have their medicine

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

whats funny is most of those are illegal guns with body's on them, and whomever left with 200 buck just went and bought another one. the goverment just jump-started the illegal gun trade by taking the ones with body's on them and giving the criminals fresh capital to get new ones. this is the stupidest thing ive ever seen. does the goverment not know why they call it killa cali and why cali has the sctrictest gun laws. this made me laugh.
edit on 23-12-2012 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I predict this:
more gun crime
lack of police response to crime reports

and the funniest thing, they got fiat money, i mean you could of handed out gold for the guns. But please as a famous singer says
"the punishment is contained within the crime"

Do we want to follow australia, or iceland?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by homeslice

guns kill people. guns are the latest technology that can kill quickly, hence the reason they are used in warfare, as long as people kill, guns should be available to all. until the day everyone agrees not to kill anymore guns will be manufactured, until that day

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
The guy holding the MAC 11 wants to take it home. Who in their right mind sells a MAC 11 for $200?!

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

Man why would one get rid of those guns?
Shoot collectors would pay way more than $200
if they were old enough.

There are a few older rifles i'd love to own,
but any time i see them they are way out of my price
range.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MagicWand67

WOW $50 per hand gun... dang that is cheap.
Considering a decent .45 or something runs you
around $500, shoot even the .22's are $200ish

Dealers license, connections in oakland, FFA dealers in some states...
someone could set up quite the biz and offer the seller's a bit more
cash and still make a profit.

Originally posted by Mr Tranny

Originally posted by Spike Spiegle
CBS

Look at picture 14 on the cbs site.

Notice something strange about that marlin?

The freaking scope is on backward!
The people turning them in are so incompetent that they don’t even know which end of the scope points forward!

That is so telling of the people turning them in that it isn’t even funny.

Their parents are definitely spinning in their graves

And someone turned in a classic lever action with high end wood stock. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
=
*LOL* That is to funny. Wonder if they are turning it in because they could not hit anything with it *LOL*

That is a nice stock on that. looks like, 30-30 could be .22 but nice looking gun...

I must be old fashion, i've gave up a lot of things in my life,
started over a few times, but there are two things i never
part with no mater what, i'd sleep on the streets first,
which are my guns and my guitar's.
edit on 23-12-2012 by severdsoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by kudegras
~snip~
...and as I have stated before I feel fairly safe walking in the streets of my city knowing that it is highly unlikely I could be shot by a thug with a gun.
~snip~

I hope you're still looking at this thread and can answer a question I have rattling around in my head about this statement of yours. Question is,

"What are the thugs using now that neither of you has guns (presumably)?" Knives? Clubs?

You say "fairly safe" and "highly unlikely", so I'm guessing there must still be thuggery, with what object would you now choose to defend yourself with if you were trying to be prepared?

I ask because I'm getting older and have medical issues that prevent me from being able to "toe-to-toe" it with the strapping young thugs of today. Easy target, if you will, and since they might be coming for my gun I'm trying to come up with a reasonable back up plan.

thanks for your time!
edit on 23-12-2012 by tjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
When you have no knowledge about guns you shouldnt be trying to control guns.

Do you have any idea how the internet works? If you cannot explain it, in great detail, within the next few minutes then I request you stop using the Internet forever and altogether seeing as you haven't a clue how it works.

See how that works?
edit on 23/12/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

You make no sense whatsoever........

XL5

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Wow all those guns in a line up of people and not one of them shot another for their gun/money! That is MAD at work, no one would dare start something near that line.

If cops didn't need guns, because the criminals didn't have them, then I would think it would be safe enough for the public not to have guns. Now if the cops would show up before crimes happen, then sure, ban guns.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Years ago a friend of mine gathered up 5 or 6 guns and did this. The guns didn't even work, they were broken and worth about $50 a piece. He turned them in, took the money he received and went a bought a real nice rifle. I don't consider the people that would participate in this to be real gun owners, conscious of what their duty is in defending liberty.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Hey ,nifty way to dump a murder weapon.But wait we also have this:www.bizpacreview.com...
More coastal lunacy at work.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

I don't believe this at all. San fran maybe but not Oakland and definately not for $200. Who is going to sell a rifle worth $1k or more for $200, let alone a $400 gun for $200. Plus anyone who has ever been to Oakland, they know that city is horrible. Probably one of the worst in the country. If I had to guess, I would say 80% of the guns in that city are illegal and owned by gangs. I honestly doubt the law abiding citizens are going to turn their guns over when there are that many gangs around.

I think this is just a fabricated story by the media to push for gun regulations.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
So? Your article is from an extreme right wing propaganda site. No one is forcing anyone to turn in their guns.

I really don't see anything wrong with this.

In the OP he doesn't say anything is wrong with it. He didn't say they were forced either. Pay attention, you look slow.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Looking at the picture, I saw none of the supposed "assault rifles" that were turned in. Looks mostly like hunting rifles, shotguns and pistols. I think the best line from the articles was:

"There’s only one problem with this scenario: in all likelihood, it’s the law-abiding citizens returning guns. The criminals are not about to surrender theirs. All reports from the scene quote people who were highly unlikely to use their firearms for criminal activity in the first place."

So, the city paid $200 a piece for legal guns, most likely older weapons that people had sitting in a closet. Not sure how much a pawn shop or gun store would pay for any of these. To make the city safer, the city took the guns away from law-abiding citizens....Awesome!

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Gun buy back programs are nothing new.

The right wing is so sheltered and detached from reality.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join