It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"San Francisco And Oakland Crowds Hand Over Guns In Buyback"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   

"San Francisco And Oakland Crowds Hand Over Guns In Buyback"

www.breitbart.com

In San Francisco and Oakland on Saturday, citizens brought their guns to sell to the police in return for cash. Every volunteer who returned a gun was $200 richer walking away. The line was so long in San Francisco that there was no cash left after lunchtime and I.O.U.s were substituted instead.

Oakland’s police chief, Howard Jordan, said, "When we remove guns off our streets that could be used in a crime, we reduce the possibility of our youth and community being a victim.”

There’s only one problem with this scenario: in all likelihood, it’s the law-abiding citizens returning g
(visit the link for the full news article)
CBS
Mercury

edit on 23-12-2012 by Spike Spiegle because: image

edit on 23-12-2012 by Spike Spiegle because: added links

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I personally really don't have a stake in this, to be perfectly honest, since I am Canadian.

That being said I believe and respect, America's Second Amendment right, of the people to keep and bear arms.

People said this was going to happen, and that the folks would do it willingly and in large numbers....

200 $ each....lines 2 miles long...I just don't know...Seems odd and out of place for Americans to be acting as such.

Good luck.

SS

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

200 $ each....lines 2 miles long...I just don't know...Seems odd and out of place for Americans to be acting as such.

For that i can agree with you on that seriously what are people thinking? giving up there weapons just for 200 dollars that you can lose in a single? and then what happens after that? would those people say maybe i shouldn't returned my gun?

The case in Sandy Hook is still uneasy and seems to be off.

+22 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Stupid liberals "Including assault rifles and ak47's"
I guess to them "assault rifles"must be in an AR pattern. When you have no knowledge about guns you shouldnt be trying to control guns.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
All those guns will be destroyed, but during that time there will probably be 10 times more manufactured in America.

Americas gun situation is so far out of control there is no going back.

+21 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Oh I'm betting Eric Holder is just chomping at the bit to send in the ATF, grab all them guns and make another happy transaction with the Mexican mafias.

BTW...what's the irony with the most bankrupt state in the union giving out IOU's?

edit on 23-12-2012 by solarstorm because: (no reason given)

link   
So? Your article is from an extreme right wing propaganda site. No one is forcing anyone to turn in their guns.

I really don't see anything wrong with this.

link   
Dang, wish i had a few grand extra,
could swing by and wait before the line and
get some good deals on some guns..

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Article is dated December 19th. Did they turn them in last Saturday?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I have to admit I have been against unregulated gun ownership for some time, we here in Australia had a similar buyback over 15 years ago and as I have stated before I feel fairly safe walking in the streets of my city knowing that it is highly unlikely I could be shot by a thug with a gun.
But I get an uneasy feeling over this, Regulating gun ownership is one thing, but handing over your guns for money in a country notorious for gun ownership shows that a nerve has been hit.
It is almost as people on ATS keep saying it is all part of the elites masterplan to disarm the last country in the world that can easily buy and own guns. It is all looking too convenient and quite transparent that this terrible shooting may have been a set up from the start.
It could well be that the sh*t is about to hit the fan.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

For that i can agree with you on that seriously what are people thinking? giving up there weapons just for 200 dollars that you can lose in a single? and then what happens after that? would those people say maybe i shouldn't returned my gun? The case in Sandy Hook is still uneasy and seems to be off.
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Andy Borowitz ‏@BorowitzReport I refuse to argue with anyone whose love of guns comes with a hatred of spelling.

And for me, I insist on correct punctuation and capitalization. But thanks for playing.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

This is scary. First, who in the right mind would surrender their firearms to the government for a lousy $200. Second, with America at the brink of financial disaster, how could anyone trust the government (local or otherwise) to honor an I.O.U.?

If the government wants my guns, they can have them, but they're gonna have to fork over more than $200 a piece for them... It'll have to be enough for me to buy bigger and better guns... and cash is king. No I.O.U.s accepted.
edit on 23-12-2012 by Underworlds because: typo

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

One might want to read a bit more carefully before declaring someone stupid, else they might look stupid themselves. The AK47 remark was a quote from the police.

Police spokesperson Johnna Watson said people there turned in assault rifles, AK47s and other weapons that were known to be stolen.

I await your apology to liberals.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I think theres a scam going on here....
Those guns in that huge pile dont seem to include any assault rifles, and by the looks of it theres a lot of guns that wouldnt bring 100 bucks on the street either....
id like to see how many of those relics even work!
Theres probably a lot of laughing citizens out there 600$ richer.....for three junk 50 $ guns...!!!

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Nothing wrong with people voluntarily giving up guns if they so choose. It's when big brother decides it's time for you that causes issues.

Besides, I too have a couple of old crappy worn out rifles that are functionally on their last legs
I could use a couple of hundred for each

edit on 23-12-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I wonder how many of those guns were stolen from people's houses just to get the money. Did they even bother checking that?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
In some of the pictures I seen some well built side by sides, and semi auto shotguns.

From reports, a lot of them are their parent’s and grandparent’s guns.

I know there is a whole fleet of parents, and grandparents that are spinning in their graves right now.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I've got a couple of guns I'd gladly "turn in" for $200 each!
Of course, they're not assault rifles or "carry" weapons....
I think gun buybacks are great if the purchases are made with confiscated monies, otherwise it's a waste of taxpayer dollars.

ganjoa

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Oakland has had a gun buyback program in place for a very long time now.

They usually only paid $50 per handgun

It's been around for years.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spike Spiegle
CBS

Look at picture 14 on the cbs site.

Notice something strange about that marlin?

The freaking scope is on backward!
The people turning them in are so incompetent that they don’t even know which end of the scope points forward!

That is so telling of the people turning them in that it isn’t even funny.

Their parents are definitely spinning in their graves

And someone turned in a classic lever action with high end wood stock. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

edit on 23-12-2012 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join