It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity and Fossils of Mars

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Originally posted by 0pass
Have you held coal in your hands?

Yes, and I have found several fossils some 200 metres from where I live. I still have some.

Just hold coal in your hands and you are holding a fossil. Coal - Fossil fuel

Jokes apart, do I need to have actually seen a fossil what with the internet and three dimentional imagery available.

And am I been given a sample of martian rock to know what a fossil looks like. I am just looking at images posted by NASA.

And to my layman eyes, these look like fossils of some sort. Whether they are actually fossils or just rock it is for experts to decide and NASA seems to have also spotted one of these rocks and did a laser test.

Once the results are out and they turn out to be rocks, then I rest my case.

edit on 15-12-2012 by 0pass because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I am not claiming the following as anything that I have described in the image as there are no close up shots of these objects and neither has NASA commented on them yet even though the rover seems to be sitting next door.

Larger image on external link.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Now this is how a real fossil would look (with some color correction maybe) on Mars.

Some things about that photo:
- colourising a photo removes some information about the image, as you turn it into a monochrome image
- images that size will always be hard to analyse
- we don't really know how a Martian fossil looks like

But yes, generally it would be something like that.

But for most of us this would still look like rocks. Unless the rock is excavated and analyzed, it will remain a rock no matter how closely it looks like a dinosaur.

It depends, after all, we only pick the rocks that look unusual, we don't pick all the rocks when we are looking for fossils.

Unless we have an army of paleontologists on Mars, we have no option but to depend on the expert opinion of NASA scientists (who I believe are not paleontologist of any measure) and the findings of their tests and instruments which sometimes is called one for the "History Books" and then repudiated a few days later.

I don't think they have palaeontologists on the Curiosity team, but a geologist is enough to "filter" some of the cases. After all, a fossil can only be part of a sedimentary rock or be a mineralized version of the original, fossils do not exist in igneous rocks like basalt, for example.

Another example of a fossil found on our planet earth which too look like a bunch of rocks except for people with "pareidolia"

Context is important. If I saw something like this on a Mars photo I would probably say that they look like rocks but that they would look out of place in an area like all those we have seen so far, without rocks that look like that.

After all, fossils are rocks.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

After all, fossils are rocks.

You are getting around to my point of view now.

BTW, here are the original links to the fossils.

Dino fossil

Fossil Coccons

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Jokes apart, do I need to have actually seen a fossil what with the internet and three dimentional imagery available.

No, but it helps, specially if you have seen them in their original place.

And to my layman eyes, these look like fossils of some sort. Whether they are actually fossils or just rock it is for experts to decide and NASA seems to have also spotted one of these rocks and did a laser test.

If they do a test to see the composition of a fossil they will probably find the same composition as the surrounding soil (if the fossil was made by replacing the living tissue with the minerals surrounding it and the surroundings didn't change since then).

If you see a rock that looks to be made of the same material as the ground around it but has a distinct shape then it's more likely to be a fossil than if you see a rock that looks like basalt and has a distinct shape.

The problem is that they are not going to test all rocks, so the results will never exist.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

The problem is that they are not going to test all rocks, so the results will never exist.

Why is everyone being so serious. Heaven is not going to fall on our heads (not on the 21st of December atleast) if any of these "fossils" turn out to be rocks after all.

For the moment, I am planning to return back to Earth and watch some nice sci-fi movie.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Why is everyone being so serious.

I always start by thinking that people are serious about what they say.

Heaven is not going to fall on our heads (not on the 21st of December atleast) if any of these "fossils" turn out to be rocks after all.
What I meant is that we do not have any way of knowing if they are fossils or not.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
look like bug, fossils are rock.
rock replace the animal all that is left is rock

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
The fossil has the same gray color as the surrounding rocks. In my opinion, it has to be rocks.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by 0pass

You are a troll. Period!! What I saw here was clear evidence of wind erosion. If there were any water erosion, it happened billions of years ago. Go back to watching the movie Dune, because you are ridiculous.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Posting the fourth image captured by curiosity on Sol84 taken by the MAHLI camera.

Instead of judging what they are, I am going to ask... Are these footprints?

Link to larger image.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
This fourth image is not very remarkable sa the earlier one but still it is worth considering.

The one circled on the top right is the one I am referring to. Whatever that is, it has a cylindrical shape to it.

Link to larger image.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I would not have included this if there was just one of it. Looks like a hand, one folded with a thumb.

Link to larger image

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
The following image is one that was very noticable from a distance and on closer look proved to be a good candidate for exposure.

The two objects are of different colors. The one on the top left caught my attention.

Link to larger image

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
The seventh image on this thread is a set of three rectangular slabs. One is fully exposed and other two partly submerged.

Link to larger image

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Cool pictures of the ground...could be fossils...but why would Earth-like objects be found on Mars?

One time my slice of pizza looked like an Imperial Star Destroyer...I mean...

One time my pizza WAS an Imperial Star Destroyer. True story!

It attacked my hunger with a ferocity that would have made Spartans cringe.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
The following image is not very clear what this is but looking at the contrasting features from other rocks nearby and a more polished edge, it fits my criteria as an object of attention.

Larger view of this image.

This image concludes the series of objects captured by the MAHLI camera on Sol84

Here is the link to the original link to this image.

PIA16468

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Starting with images from Sol109 captured by the Mastcam camera.

The first image clearly shows an object of a shape that can be called anything than natural. If people want to call this a rock....be my guest.

Link to larger image.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
The second and last image (though there are others) image from this series is a christmas present.

You can decide why would I say that.

A larger image.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
This is a strange structure from Sol64-66 using MastCam where one of the structure shows a large fang like thing jutting out. What caught my attention is that the other structure also has small teeth like carvings.

Image of larger size

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join