It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity and Fossils of Mars

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I do not know why people are so skeptical about what is posted in these forums.

According to NASA's own account so far about the location where curiosity is currently roving...

1. This was an ancient river bed.
2. There is evidence of water having flowed on mars at one time in the past.
3. Raw images are posted by NASA online so that others can review it and locate something they might have missed.

So what are we looking for is primarily ancient evidence not current life. If thatis achieved, that would be quite significant.

Therefore this thread is about making a list of prime candidates for further investigation. The title of the thread is merely to make things a bit more interesting not represent facts.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I agree people are grasping at straws....Just work with the facts presented....

Mars is dry, but does have water in the form of ice.
Mars has cloud formations similar to Earth, mainly cirrus type appearing clouds, of presumably H2O, height unknown.
Mars soil/dirt has stuck on the curiosity wheels, was it mud? is it wet with H2O? (not sure if this has been confirmed?).
Mars is covered with fine dust of an ocher/reddish colour, does this mean a once presence of Oxygen?
Mars is covered on the surface in, what appears to be rocks, of many varying sizes.
Mars appears to have had H2O rivers at some stage.
Mars may have a blue tinge to the atmosphere, in certain times/conditions etc.
Mars has many dust storms.
Mars has mini wirlys (tornadoes) on the surface which indicate atmosphere pressure and temperature differences.
Mars has Seasons.
Mars has a North and South pole, that appear to contain a frozen liquid in certain seasons.
Mars has bugs and germs living under the rocks.....Ha Ha had ya there.........

If there IS life on Mars, it would probably live underground.....unless the places they are landing on the Planet are like the Australian outback and look like our deserts minus the vegetation,...... underground would be the logical location of life..........maybe...

So please no more skulls, bugs, hammers, metal rings etc, that just appear to be regular "Mars" rocks.....

Until Humans actually use our EMP and fusion engine tech with our Flying saucers and get to Mars and have a good look around....everything else is really just an educated guess.
I do like the idea of a US/Russian/Chinese/Euro expedition in a Fleet of craft (hi tech ones not rocket rubbish), that can fly in space AND fly in the Atmosphere (Earth/Mars wherever)...and until they construct them and perform a thorough whole planet investigation...then all we can do is see what comes from these robots, and speculate.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by gort51

If we apply your logic, we would never have come across fossils of dinosaurs on earth.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
The OP's rock is mentioned in this new video, at about 7 minutes in:

I guess I was wrong about the origin of voids, NASA say they were caused by erosion.
The rock is called Zephyr, after a Greek god of the west wind. en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
More info on this on this blog. Though NASA did not release the results of the laser test

zephyr dichotomy

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0pass
More info on this on this blog. Though NASA did not release the results of the laser test

zephyr dichotomy

They did find that there is a difference in composition between the light and dark rocks.

Does NASA release the results of every single test? I don't see them making a news release about that particular test, it's just not important enough.

On Earth, there are many weird formations where the wind and sand eroded the softer parts of big rocks and left the harder ones. Also, volcanic activity can create some weird rock formations.

edit on 15-12-2012 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
We can all see there is a difference..lol

But what about the composition of the two different objects?

Why are they not releasing that! Seems like NASA has decided not to release this test..

Following is the list of all the other tests conducted.

Curosity ChemCam
edit on 15-12-2012 by 0pass because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

The followng picture reminds me of the movie Tremors.

Yeah I see what you mean....

Except it is missing the characteristic "double" or "split" lowerjaw. Perhaps it is related......

Peace

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Why are they not releasing that! Seems like NASA has decided not to release this test..

Curosity ChemCam

I'm sure it's not all of the other ones. There must have been lots of tests, they've just decided to upload those few. As I mentioned above, I just don't see them making an article on every single test they've done. If you really really want to know, I'm sure there are suitable channels to contact them and ask for the results.

P.S. Here's a science report on ChemCam, hopefully to be updated with information about Zephyr rock:
www.spaceflight101.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Following is something that looks like a carcass with bowels eaten up.

Why I selected this structure? This one is similar to many similar structures in other images of a creature with a large head and ears on two sides.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace

Curosity ChemCam

I'm sure it's not all of the other ones. There must have been lots of tests, they've just decided to upload those few. As I mentioned above, I just don't see them making an article on every single test they've done. If you really really want to know, I'm sure there are suitable channels to contact them and ask for the results.

P.S. Here's a science report on ChemCam, hopefully to be updated with information about Zephyr rock:
www.spaceflight101.com...

Here is the first reference to the test and about the structure in question. It is dated 26th of October. And what day is today? It is more than a month. What is so complicated about the results that even after more than a month they are not able to publish it.

NASA reporting on Curiosity Zephyr

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Just a question: do you have any specific knowledge about fossils and rocks?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Why I selected this structure? This one is similar to many similar structures in other images of a creature with a large head and ears on two sides.

Here's what I see

But seriously it's just a case of pareidolia......

Peace

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
Just a question: do you have any specific knowledge about fossils and rocks?

Not much. But I studied geology and chemistry in college and have been reading more about rocks and fossils than the average person.

But I am not an expert and all I am asking is for NASA to provide us answers in a clear and transparent manner once something is identified without making it seem like it it is beating around the bush.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime

Here's what I see

But seriously it's just a case of pareidolia......

Peace

That could be an answer except that it is much of a coincidence that the head portions of the structure in both the second image and this image look similar with one small difference, the head of the structure in the second image has its mouth open and the one in the latest (the picure above) is shut.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Not much. But I studied geology and chemistry in college and have been reading more about rocks and fossils than the average person.
Good. Have you ever had a fossil in your hands?

But I am not an expert and all I am asking is for NASA to provide us answers in a clear and transparent manner once something is identified without making it seem like it it is beating around the bush.

Do you expect them to say "this is a rock, that one is a rock too" for all the rocks that appear on the photos?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Good. Have you ever had a fossil in your hands?

Do you expect them to say "this is a rock, that one is a rock too" for all the rocks that appear on the photos?

Have you held coal in your hands? I have...so it would be nice for a change to focus on the subject matter than the OP. If I were an expert in fossils, I would not be here.

As far as introspecting on the images by the general public, if there was no need to do it and not expect any reply from NASA, then why would they publish it in the first place.

Then we can only have NASA seeing those pictures and making their own conclusions.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Rock or Object that looks like a skull.

The reason for selecting this object is its contrast against the landscape.

Comparing it to everything around it this could be something.Looks like a
skull cap,wish we could see another side of it.

I love it when members bring these pictures on ats
for debate.I have to say I was intrigued by the rat or gerbil
pic someone brought to our attention and I clearly saw a
rat,I showed it to my daughter and she saw rocks?go figure..

I'm not skilled at photography but I don't see anything
but rocks in your first picture.

Again not my specialty...

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Have you held coal in your hands?

Yes, and I have found several fossils some 200 metres from where I live. I still have some.

I have...so it would be nice for a change to focus on the subject matter than the OP. If I were an expert in fossils, I would not be here.

The problem is that we don't know who you are or what do you know about this subject, that's why I was trying to get some idea about it.

As far as introspecting on the images by the general public, if there was no need to do it and not expect any reply from NASA, then why would they publish it in the first place.

First of all, they publish because people want to see them, people are used to see photos taken by those missions, so NASA has almost an implicit obligation to publish them as they get them.
Even if they have an obligation to publish reports about all photos they post (I doubt it) I tdon't thing they must publish them when the public wants them.

Then we can only have NASA seeing those pictures and making their own conclusions.

I don't understand why you say that.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Now this is how a real fossil would look (with some color correction maybe) on Mars.

But for most of us this would still look like rocks. Unless the rock is excavated and analyzed, it will remain a rock no matter how closely it looks like a dinosaur.

Unless we have an army of paleontologists on Mars, we have no option but to depend on the expert opinion of NASA scientists (who I believe are not paleontologist of any measure) and the findings of their tests and instruments which sometimes is called one for the "History Books" and then repudiated a few days later.

Another example of a fossil found on our planet earth which too look like a bunch of rocks except for people with "pareidolia"

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join