It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Atheism movement is using ATS as a mouthpiece

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I have noticed that there is much more Christian baiting on here than there used to be.
As someone who is quietly agnostic though leaning more towards quiet atheism (in that I'm not sure what I believe in, but I'm pretty sure I don't believe there is a God - and I don't shout about it, I don't discuss it openly and I don't want to argue about it), I actually find the threads horrible.
I wish the "Christians/Atheists debunk this!" threads would stop.
"New Atheism" if the term sticks, seems very destructive, and I absolutely feel it is no-ones right to break down anyone's religious beliefs, or lack of.
There are fundamentalists and extremists in every religion or movement, always someone to take it too far.
Unfortunately, I think the only thing we can do in this instance is to actively avoid threads that we feel contain baiting or any kind.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I have noticed that there is much more Christian baiting on here than there used to be.
As someone who is quietly agnostic though leaning more towards quiet atheism (in that I'm not sure what I believe in, but I'm pretty sure I don't believe there is a God - and I don't shout about it, I don't discuss it openly and I don't want to argue about it), I actually find the threads horrible.
"New Atheism" if the term sticks, seems very destructive, and I absolutely feel it is no-ones right to break down anyone's religious beliefs, or lack of.
There are fundamentalists and extremists in every religion or movement, always someone to take it too far.
Unfortunately, I think the only thing we can do in this instance is to actively avoid threads that we feel contain baiting or any kind.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by trysts
reply to post by AQuestion

There are no gods floating about. You don't have to tell your children about that fact. Now if your child comes home and says that people are saying there are gods floating about, then you should tell your children the truth. Gods floating about=false. No gods=true. I don't know how you're going to reason that the above formula is brainwashing?

Dear trysts,

Why do you attempt to argue with things I did not say. Brainwashing is forcing someone to believe something against their wishes. Why can you not understand that, it does not matter if it is the truth or not, it is forcing them to believe what you tell them, that is called abuse. You believe in abuse so long as they agree with your beliefs. On ATS are people who believe that UFOs regularly visit here, should they not be allowed to tell that to their children even though I believe they are wrong and scientists would support me on that?
edit on 10-12-2012 by AQuestion because: left out a word

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by bloodreviara
reply to post by ColCurious

This is another one that people rarely acknowledge, religions claim that atheists are
anti religion, while in reality we are anti church and state combination, to oppose
religion we would have to be seeking that it be made illegal, i do not want that and
most atheists don't, we are pushing to get religion out of decision making, to take
fantasy out of the real world of law.

But they don't seem to think it is fantasy.....so there in lies a problem, eh?

Lots of people make everyday decisions based on their beliefs, doesn't matter if you're atheist or not. Seems like a difficult task to spot someone making a decision based on a particular belief system. So, how can anyone enforce taking beliefs out of decision making?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
omg 7 pages deep...

im posting this just so i CAN reply..

now hang on while i read seven pages so i can hang out LIKE A BOSS..

edit gives me, what 4 hours?

back at ya in a bit..

but off the top of my head? why dont all you Xtians grow a pair and join us in THE REAL WORLD? what other 2000 year old ideas still sound cool?

ok im reading now, back at ya in a bit

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
it turns out that there was no reason to edit this post.. groove on

oh, and by the way.. when it comes to Beatles tunes... I dig a pony
edit on 10-12-2012 by uwascallywabbit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by jude11

Dear jude11,

Every day there are countless threads of Bible Thumpers spreading their doctrine while the atheists only respond.

LOL. Okay, so somebody starts a post asking other Christians about their opinion in the Spirituality Forums and some Atheists decide to go on that thread to say that the OP is delusional, there is no God and that they are bad people. Do you actually believe that adds to anything? There are more insults hurled at people for asking or answering a spiritual question then for people starting threads on how alien lizards control the world.

I actually laughed out loud when I read this. Nicely said, AQuestion.

And, I think as Christians we need to concentrate more on praying for people who have not yet learned the Truth. Nobody is saved because they are good, or because they are better than anybody else. We are saved because we have repented of our sins, and we have been forgiven. If our entering into Heaven was decided by our own merit, nobody would make it. Not one single person. And anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

Any person claiming to be a Christian should know that they are not supposed to tell every person they are trying to convert that they're going to hell for not changing right away. Instead, if the person is not open to accepting Jesus as Lord and Savior, the Christian should pray for them. The Holy Spirit will work on their heart. Hopefully they decide to accept it before it's too late.

Sometimes it is tempting to get into confrontation on ATS and elsewhere with someone who tries to get into a debate with you about being a Christian. That is why I have adopted the habit of posting and not coming back to see if anyone has responded to my posts (so please, if anyone wants to ask me a question at some point, send me a private message). I honestly could not tell you if anybody has ever disagreed with me, although I guarantee they have. To get into a debate with someone would just push them further and further from actually wanting to accept Jesus, and that is something I do not want to do.

Christians need to remember that eternal souls are at stake, so while one may think they are gaining a point against an atheist, etc., by debating with them, they are in fact helping secure the fact that person may never accept our Lord and Savior. That is something we will have to answer for someday.

One thing I always think of when the subject comes up about Christians VS Atheists is this: If anyone in the entire history of this world has had a chance to condemn someone, it was Jesus Christ when He was arrested, tortured, and murdered. He died the most humiliating death one can endure. The fact that water and blood both came out of the wound inflicted in His side in two separate streams is scientific evidence that Jesus died literally from a broken heart. Yet, one of the last things He spoke before He died was, "Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do."

Those people tortured Him. They beat Him, they spit in His face, they pulled His hair out, the shoved a crown of thorns on His head, then they murdered Him. But, He prayed that they would not be held accountable for doing what they did.

We Christians need to keep that in mind. This isn't about gaining points against someone. It isn't about proving anybody wrong for the sake of making the other person look stupid or to feel good about oneself. This is in no way a contest to prove who is right and who is wrong. This is about getting as many people as we possibly can to join us in Heaven.

We are required to answer questions when they are asked of us. But, we should do it as prayerfully as possible. By doing so, we show by example that we are that which our Lord asks of us. We then become the "light of the world." If we are prayerful, humble, meek, and last but certainly not least, knowledgeable, then that will make others be more open to hearing what we have to say. If they then still choose to not accept the free gift of eternal life by the shedding of the blood of Jesus Christ, then that is their decision. Not that it's a good thing; we will still pray for them, of course.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I only read your first post on this thread, so excuse me if I repeat anything that has already been discussed. I don't fault you for believing in a God, I don't fault you for believing there is a God, I grew up in a Catholic home, I went to a Catholic school till I went into the 10th grade, I know the teachings of God, they were drilled into my brain when I was young.

I do not any longer believe that God or the God that I knew and loved exists, I think religion as a whole is inherently evil, but I can't explain why!! Maybe I do know why ........it could be because every time a Muslim kills himself/herself he/she does it in the name of Allah, maybe it is because Jews often "defend" themselves in the name of YHWH or Elohim. or maybe it is because Christians often (in the past) murdered people in the name of God. I just think that religion as a whole is an evil thing that has been placed upon us, I don't think our ancestors meant to do this to us, but it has been an unfortunate result.

Basically what I believe is organized religion is bad for us as a people, everyone deserves to live a good life whether you believe in God, or Allah or Elohim! There should be no "right" religion and no "wrong" religion. If God exits then he/she should be able to look past these different names we have for him/her. If there is a God, I believe he is the only "God", and how could a God any kind of God sit back and watch the atrocities happening to the people on earth??

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

I don't understand why you keep equating the truth of the matter of gods not existing as a form of brainwashing? It's the truth. There are no pictures of gods, nor is there any eyewitness testimony(unlike UFOs). It's just all made up, created in the imagination.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Good for them , over the last few years ATS has been swamped with religious threads , about time the other side got together imo...where can I find out more?

Your religion should be your own personal thing , bringing up your religion in places like ats is asking to be questioned on it imo.....so dont moan when you are.
edit on 10-12-2012 by gambon because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-12-2012 by gambon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by uwascallywabbit
omg 7 pages deep...

im posting this just so i CAN reply..

now hang on while i read seven pages so i can hang out LIKE A BOSS..

edit gives me, what 4 hours?

back at ya in a bit..

but off the top of my head? why dont all you Xtians grow a pair and join us in THE REAL WORLD? what other 2000 year old ideas still sound cool?

ok im reading now, back at ya in a bit

how about eating and breathing, I suppose those are antiquated also haha

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by jeramie

Dear jeramie,

We are also to have an answer for the hope that lies within us. If we are asked a question, we should respond or we have failed to do what is right.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
i really will edit my above comment to reflect our discussion...

i am even now (re)playing the video you posted just to make sure that it isnt already in my roster of "done it"...

I watched a few of these after a co-worker tried to enlist me on the DAWKINS side of this issue, namely that religion MUST be revealed for delusion wherever it rears its ugly head...

well YES and NO...

pardon me for splitting hairs here but I MUST...

if the issue is IS THERE A GOD...

well thats one question,

if the issue is IS MY CHRISTIAN SECT THE TRUE ONE?

well that is a MUCH narrower plank to walk...

The deal with atheism that most religious people (and most atheists) dont get, is that your average athiest is NOT anti God... he has never met god, which is why he is an ATHEIST...

but he (or she) has met a coupladozen really seriously thick-headedly stupid people who are THRILLED with their (unexamined) religion..

so..
(wait pause ive already seen your video.. not bad, god looks pretty good (as usual) but when you try to glue GOD to Xtianity, whoops major nonsequitors ensue) creation DOES NOT EQUAL JEHOVAH...

So..
all you CHRISTIANS.. I will gladly entertain your arguments in the spirit of legimate discourse, merely prove ANYTHING from your side of the line and ill consider re assigning your ENTIRE camp from technical delusion to working neurotic...

please note that if said proof is not demonstrated, then the TEXTBOOK definition of delusion will pose a problem to the three or four religious people that have the wits to understand the argument...

to the rest of you... enjoy Pascals Gambit at best, and old fashioned "carrot and stick" BS at worst..

demand proof.

lightbulbs really work..

FORCE REALLY DOES EQUAL MASS TIMES ACCELERATION.

now what was that about JESUS again?

edit on 10-12-2012 by uwascallywabbit because: spelling, i drink when i do these, no thats not a joke, sometimes i dont even use a glass
edit on 10-12-2012 by uwascallywabbit because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Atheism isn't an ideology, and it isn't alternative, more people are Atheists than Hindus and Buddists

For the record, everything above is false.

Atheism is very much an ideology, and a philosophy. As far as you comments about the number of atheists in the world, these statistics vary and are unreliable. Nevertheless, those who do not belief in God are in the minority for sure. Even among those who believe in god, a good percentage of them believe in some spirit or life force. It is also not realistic to qualify everyone who is non-religious as atheist.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I must agree that there is a problem with what religion has become in the modern era. There is little to none of the original truth left. I myself would probably be an atheist right now had i not had a very powerful experience with god when i was 17. I will not go into the real conspiracy that has converted Jesus from prophet to son of God to god himself on this thread, I will start a new one tomorrow if anyone is interested. The Greko Roman Christian conspiracy I think I will label it.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
In the simplest of terms, Religion is someone telling me they "Have everything figured out and this is why."

In my experiences on this earth NO one has everything figured out. Blind faith is something I will never take part in.

Question everything, any resistance is ignorance.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname

they have this fixation on God that it borders on insanity

edit on 9-12-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

This same fixation exists with what I have deemed "Jesushuggers"
Some religious folk are so die hard christians that they LITERALLY view themselves as worthless beings unless they are constantly boasting how much Jesus is affecting their lives and how they pity you for not being apart of the same brainwash as them "you'll be in my prayers because you don't love Jesus"...it is quite annoying
edit on 10-12-2012 by ArtOfTrance because: Jesus made me do it

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
atheists spend more time talking about God and religion than the pope does.

they have this fixation on God that it borders on insanity and to a normal human being they appear angry, bitter, hateful and resentful to something that they believe doesn't "exist".

if they talked about santa claus like they do God, they'd be institutionalized, possibly for many years, and heavily dosed with powerful psychiatric medications.

but since God exists, people tolerate their misguided positions as long as they don't implement their atheism like stalin and pol pot.

atheists should re-examine their stance since something that supposedly doesn't "exist" to them affects their life so much.

edit on 9-12-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

1) WRONG I am an atheist and I don' have a fixation about god, it's a good story anyway MAN created god(s) here is a link to just some that he created god(s) around the world.
God(s) were created to explain things that at the time man could not understand, that's why we had sun, moon, rain, thunder gods etc etc. Now on the link above we have thousnads of gods from around the world, they ALL have creation stories for man the earth etc they all have as much right as ANY other belief to be true,THEY CAN'T ALL BE RIGHT CAN THEY

Guess what they CAN ALL BE WRONG!!!!

I am not hateful or resentful that's just believers cliches about atheists

2) NO if YOU believed in Santa Claus the way you believe in god YOU would be institutionalised after all Santa was a story told by parents about a being that could visit all the children on Earth on one night and give them presents, now your parents would have told you that WHY would your parents lie

3) Ah the Stalin, Pol Pot gambit I will raise you the following

The Salem witch trials and The Spanish Inquisition just a couple of MANY examples of over zealous religious people DOING wrong in the name of their god!!!!!!

4) I don't need to look at my stance a non-entity doesn't effect my life only people that try to push what is as we have seen is a story with no proof as fact, like Santa Claus, the tooth fairy ,the Easter bunny or the bogey man.
Stories used to entertain bring wonder and also to frighten children!

The Spanish Inquisition
well Monty Python's take on it.

edit on 10-12-2012 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
i EAGERLY AWAIT

any christian with an honest PAIR and a tiny inkling of the scientific method to PROVE to me ANY of this Jesus stuff..

ill sit here patiently...
edit on 10-12-2012 by uwascallywabbit because: i seriously CANNOT type while smoking bongs and doing bacardi shots

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by uwascallywabbit
i EAGERLY AWAIT

any christian with an honest PAIR and a tiny inkling of the scientific method to PROVE to me ANY of this Jesus stuff..

ill sit here patiently...
edit on 10-12-2012 by uwascallywabbit because: i seriously CANNOT type while smoking bongs and doing bacardi shots

You'll be waiting a long time. Religious people base everything on "faith", not science.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join