It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Atheism movement is using ATS as a mouthpiece

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
For those who aren't familiar with the term "New Atheism"

New Atheism is the name given to the ideas promoted by a collection of modern atheist writers who have advocated the view that "religion should not simply be tolerated but should be countered, criticized, and exposed by rational argument wherever its influence arises.

Wikipedia

I would argue that many times there is no "rational" argument involved...

I will start by stating that I am a Christian, and although I am not Catholic, I attend mass two or three times a month. I do this because my wife is a Catholic school teacher and my kids attend the same school. It is a good opportunity to be involved with my family on a spiritual level, and its no skin off my teeth to attend. Next, I would like to say that although I am a believer, I respect those who do not and try not to impress my beliefs on others as I feel that it is counterproductive. Instead, I try to respectfully converse with others when the topics of religion come up. However, I will defend Christianity when I feel it is being wrongly attacked, misstated, or distorted. Now that you know a little about me....

New Atheism is running rampant on ATS. It is a growing form of guerrilla warfare designed to attack religion and deceive the masses. It is fueled by hate and spews misinformation. There is a constant barrage of these anti-religion propaganda threads popping up on this website. Sometimes they hide under the guise of something else; sometimes that are blatant. They almost never have anything to do with an actual conspiracy, alternative news, philosophy, or anything else truly relevant to ATS. This is why I state that the proponents of New Atheism are USING our forums to push their agenda. This becomes apparent when you take notice of the many new members whose first threads pertain to this. T & Cs state that I cannot point out examples of this or name members by name, but most of us are astute enough to take notice.

Now, I know that believing in God, the Bible, and Jesus is not popular on this site. I'm completely okay with that. It gives me an opportunity to engage in many civil and interesting conversations with believers and non-believers alike. What does bother me is when I see so many people whose entire problem with the above mentioned is based on ignorance. Many times their opinions aren't their opinions at all. Meaning they haven't done any kind of reading or research whatsoever on the subjects. This is poor grounds to stand on for any debate, not just a religious one. I see a correlation with these "sponges' who have soaked up the New Atheism agenda with little or no research of their own. Then, turn around like good little soldiers and regurgitate the same, unfounded nonsense.

I think many of you will agree that there is a great many of young minds on ATS. Many of them are searching for answers to a variety of questions. Some of these questions may be of the most profound kind. I'm okay with anyone finding the answers they are looking for, even if I disagree with them. My problem is a movement such as this infiltrating these minds and planting seeds of hate...and by doing so, growing their numbers.

I willingly give my respect as a fellow human to Atheists, who am I to judge? I despise these militant New Atheists, they are paramount to religious radicals. ATS would be much better of without them.

For those interested in a good, educated, and friendly "is there a God?" debate...it is lengthy, but educational. It pits Christopher Hitchens who was one of the worlds foremost Atheist speakers and authors against William Lane Craig, one of the worlds foremost Theologian and Apologist. It takes place at Biola University.

Christopher Hitchens vs. William Lane Craig

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by lambs to lions

Dear lambs to lions,

I am surprised that I have not bumped into you before. A fellow Christian here. I was not familiar with the term "New Atheist"; but, yes it is very apparent that there are certain individuals on this site who work together to attack any spiritual threads. There are also people who pose as christians to give us all a bad reputation. Sounds to me like you have a pretty good handle on what we can expect to deal with. Peace.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
atheists spend more time talking about God and religion than the pope does.

they have this fixation on God that it borders on insanity and to a normal human being they appear angry, bitter, hateful and resentful to something that they believe doesn't "exist".

if they talked about santa claus like they do God, they'd be institutionalized, possibly for many years, and heavily dosed with powerful psychiatric medications.

but since God exists, people tolerate their misguided positions as long as they don't implement their atheism like stalin and pol pot.

atheists should re-examine their stance since something that supposedly doesn't "exist" to them affects their life so much.

edit on 9-12-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Nice to meet you.

I feel like this New Atheist agenda is organized and has 'legs'. It's popularity is growing, and it's proponents are rabid. I could go deep down into the rabbit hole and speculate on who or what is behind it's origins, but I'll leave that one for another day.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
From my experience, it's the Christians that are using ATS to spread their "message".

Every day there are countless threads of Bible Thumpers spreading their doctrine while the atheists only respond.

Not only starting threads but infiltrating threads that have nothing to do with religion but just inserting biblical quotes to justify their stance on ANY topic. Quite frankly, it's getting tiresome.

ATS has been infiltrated by the Christians and will not allow any other opinion or belief to exist. There are 1,000's of Christian sites. Why invade this one?

There is no such thing as New Atheists. We have decided this route from our youth. "New Christians" are all over the place tho. Can't find an answer? Turn to Christianity, use the bible and you can now justify...EVERYTHING...

Convenient.

Peace

edit on 9-12-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

So people cant have an opinion anymore? People cant express their opinions?

Not all 'propaganda' is bad. Being a 'propagandist' is not a bad thing. 'Propagandist' should not be a negative/derogative term.

If you disagree you are free to express your opinion and debate.

What do you find so terrifying about hearing an opinion that you disagree with?
edit on 9-12-2012 by spangledbanner because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Personally I see unnecessary attacks and often vicious attacks coming from both the Christian and atheist camps. Frankly I'm sick of it, and I'm especially sick of the evolution poo flinging threads that have been popular for years at this point.

I was born and raised baptist, lost my religion utterly, became a Shintoist, and now I'm an agnostic who subscribes to Buddhist philosophy. I don't understand any type of hate towards different religious or non religious groups. Whomever the negativity comes from, trashing people's spiritual beliefs is not ok.

There is enough adversity in the world without folks fabricating more ways to keep us divided.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I can't think of a good reason to respect the views of people who believe in angels, gods and demons. As a child one is subjected to the brainwashing done by the church, parents, television, and teachers. This brainwashing is not considered a crime, but it should be, in my view. So yes, if the religious folks are not criticized for promoting their silly and dangerous views to impressionable, young minds, then we're never going to see a society striving to be morally civilized.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

atheists should re-examine their stance since something that supposedly doesn't "exist" to them affects their life so much.

So were the people that didn't believe in god, given a free pass from this? or did it affect their life in some way?

Just because someone doesn't believe in god doesn't mean that the people who do won't affect them in some way. You are really twisting this to fit your own ideas here.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I wasn't aware there was even a movement. I figured it was more a realization of the obvious.

Everyone uses ATS as a mouthpiece, i'm actually fairly certain that's a reason it exists.

To mouth their piece. Why else would one come here, if no one said anything?

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
What do you call a person who doesn't agree with athiests but also doesn't agree with Religion? I believe in something, just not what institutions want me to believe..

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Perception is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. I'm not saying that it hasn't happened, but I see the anti-religious threads time and time again. I don't see many threads spouting off about "the damn Atheists are holding us back"

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Don't fret Lamb.

If your faith is strong, you will see and understand that no one can take it away, regardless on what people say.

Everyone on ATS has something to say. Sometimes, not everyone will agree with each other. I have friends here that believe in Alien hybrids, and friends that believe there is no God.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Conversation and debate concerning conspiracies is completely different from pushing an anti-religious agenda. So yeah, you are completely wrong on that one.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I am a follower of Jesus Christ so yes, I am a Christian. I have read heated debates between Christians and athiests on this website which really disturb me. I would hope that people could put aside their differences and love each other as human beings. I believe loving others is Jesus' foremost teaching.

John 13:34-35
The Message (MSG)

34-35 “Let me give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples—when they see the love you have for each other.”

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Dear jude11,

Every day there are countless threads of Bible Thumpers spreading their doctrine while the atheists only respond.

LOL. Okay, so somebody starts a post asking other Christians about their opinion in the Spirituality Forums and some Atheists decide to go on that thread to say that the OP is delusional, there is no God and that they are bad people. Do you actually believe that adds to anything? There are more insults hurled at people for asking or answering a spiritual question then for people starting threads on how alien lizards control the world.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by trysts

So your saying no-one chooses to follow religion from their own free will? Every religious person has been brainwashed? I could say the same for people who watch TV 14 hours a day and worship actors/singers etc as gods.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Hmm, the only problem I see is all the finger pointing and such. Folks dont want to be accountable for what they say. I believe the mods and the owners of the site have been rather patient in allowing civil discussion on religion or the lack thereof. Heck I go off on a rant of my own here and there, but you'll find its mostly when people are misusing religious information it happens.

Otherwise I personally dont care who said this or that or what they believe. I do however feel that believers and non believers alike can put on their big boy pants and behave like they fill them. If someone is christian they should be fairly secure in their beliefs, (if thats the case) why would someone feel threatened by an atheist or, a group of them?

link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

I would say that you are searching for answers, which is something we all are doing...or have done. Peace.

link   

Originally posted by lambs to lions
"religion should not simply be tolerated but should be countered, criticized, and exposed by rational argument wherever its influence arises.

As long as it is supported by rational argument I don't see a problem and neither should you.

Rational arguments work both ways... oh wait.

Originally posted by lambs to lions
I would argue that many times there is no "rational" argument involved...

Now those are strong words coming from a religious person don't you think?

Casting stones much?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join