It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Atheism movement is using ATS as a mouthpiece

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Ya know, I never thought of it that way. lol Sometimes when I see atheists bring religion all the time, I start to wonder, are they just really Christians who are just bitter about something or what? I mean, you don't see Christians popping on here to shout, "BELIEVE IN GOD NOW!!!" stuff. I'm a Christian and I think it's just petty that people use a conspiracy site to attack religion.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by trysts

You are crazy because you find connections that do not exist. It has nothing to do with religion.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by trysts
reply to post by AQuestion

True, if this government were involved in raising children then it may be worse than religious people raising children. But I'm against child abuse, so I'm against this government and religious people raising children.

Dear trysts,

I don't know many people who are actually in favor of child abuse; but, I know many who wish to control what we teach our children and that in itself is abusive. I did not raise my children as Christians, I raised them as people and told them what I believed and allowed them to question me. I am sorry that your parents did not treat you with the same approach. I am very much against anyone deciding what I can teach my child or telling you what you can discuss with your children. Your approach is no better than what was done to you.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by lambs to lions
reply to post by yourmaker

Conversation and debate concerning conspiracies is completely different from pushing an anti-religious agenda. So yeah, you are completely wrong on that one.

Why is Anti-Religion any less debate worthy then Pro-Religion?

This place is so far beyond 'conspiracies' fyi. Beyond any label, at least to me,
it's a place where humans spill their thoughts and feelings into an ongoing open-sourced philosophical discussion that never ends as long as there are people to fill it with words.

Whether that someone says Jesus is real or not is irrelevant to the fact that he said it at all.
That's where someone who does believe can retort.

And how are you so certain that Religion, especially Christianity isn't actually one of the biggest and possibly worst conspiracy among them?

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Originally posted by boncho

I am a Bonchoist.

Ye of Boozer faith.

I don't know if this thread is anything but someone who believes, seeing something that they believe in. I wouldn't be too hard on Lamb. I will say this, Religion has fractured this World, and that's a fact. Religion is just like Politics. Means well, but has a track record. I take faith personally.. I have yet to see a thread that stays on topic, when it comes to faith.

Thanks, but no kid gloves necessary. It is what it is. I could care less what anyone thinks about my OP.

link   
EXCUSE ME? spreading hate and misinformation? i believe that is religions job and
they do a very very good job of it at that, your claims are baseless and inflammatory, i will
not even bother to explain why your blanket statements are false as anyone who can
think for themselves should see it, the facts are that no god has ever been proven
to exist, and asking for proof before believing one does is not foolish, using an unproven
belief to vote or interact with the world around you is foolish, i don't make that rule,
if you do foolish things then don't get upset when people point out that your being a fool.

i don't mean that to be insulting just that i cant not and never will understand why
religion thinks its veiled attempts at attacking a movement that does nothing other
than question the lies that religion spreads is somehow bad, it is not bad to
question things that don't make sense, also as ive already said if your spouting
off things that sound crazy don't get your feelings hurt when people point that
out, especially if you cannot prove your crazy claim.

I find it so disheartening that religion points the finger at us and accuses us of
doing the very thing they are actually doing, they often claim science is
conspiring against religion when in reality religion is directly and obviously
conspiring again science, even admittedly so, the fellow who was behind
the push to attempt forcing colleges to teach intelligent design flat out
admitted it was a way to sneak in creationism not only that but his evidence
was a false claim, what this tells me is that they want to act as the moral
bunch while at the same time lying and doing their absolute best to ensure
that the actual truth is diluted by their fantasy. this type of behavior is flat
out dishonesty, and you know what, be dishonest all you like but don't
point the finger at those of us who refuse to pretend like we have
all the answers and use reason instead of lies and deception to point
out flaws in a ridiculous claim of a god..........

the funniest thing is we don't have to lie, religion makes itself look foolish
without any outside help whatsoever........
edit on 9-12-2012 by bloodreviara because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by lambs to lions

Why is it acceptable for New Atheists to preach intolerance?

Are they really?

Or are they simply against religious influence on matters of public affairs (like religious zealotry in politics), just as your quote stated?

As far as I know, you are still free to practise your religion / believe whatever you want.

* (Unless your religious practices include messing with politics, science, education or any other ressort concerning public life)
edit on 9-12-2012 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenGlassDoor

I don't know what you're talking about? I've already stated that I think it is wrong to indoctrinate children into these cults of fantasy and worship. What other connection are you speaking about, when you're not playing doctor?

link   
reply to post by boncho

Dear boncho,

I agree that hypocrites should be questioned; but, hypocrisy is found in all belief sets including Atheism. Many people have one set of rules for themselves and another for others.

And you should expect opposing views...

I always do and I welcome them. I have said before that I am on ATS to hear those opposing views.

link   

You are assuming that men are inherently selfish and will only act benevolent if an invisible man will punish or reward them. That is patently untrue.

We have a long list of Congressional Medal of Honor recipients who died out of interest of the group rather than self-interest (self-interest would demand they let another die).

Perhaps EMTs and Firemen put themselves in danger because some great being is watching them? Please. You don't really believe that do you?

My signature has something about moral behavior. Most of your fellow humans are aboard that train and do not let reward or punishment in a hereafter as the only by-line for doing so.

link   

Hello, while I somewhat agree with your OP to the extent that anyone, be they part of a group or not will try to use ATS as their medium of persuasion, at some point during their stay here.

That I think is understandable, as long as it remains within T&C...

Which brings me to the real point of my post, you sir signed up to ATS, you never will be forced to " log in " and be forced to deal with this barrage " from the scary atheists " ....

When signing into ATS you also agree to the terms and conditions, and for the for ATS staff to moderate the boards as they deem fit.

ATS isn't America, it's close but it's not.

Again no one is forcing you to be here.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ColCurious

The definition I provided is not my definition. It is theirs. They are what they say they are. The term New Atheism is a relatively new one to ATS.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

I don't think it's "awesome" to live in a society with crazy people. I think it's dangerous.

Based upon the context [religion] you are making the claim that the religious are crazy. They are not crazy. Enough sociology and psychology has been done using a test population of religious people to confirm they are not crazy.

You are making a connection that doesn't exist.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

Do I seem concerned about the 'scary' atheists??? Lol, I think you've misunderstood my thread. I think there is a conspiracy, I wrote about it...the end.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

I don't know a solution to the problem of children raised in a home with people who believe in angels. I guess it is just one of the obstacles in life which children may have to go through

link   

I could care less what anyone thinks about my OP.

So what you're saying is you do care?
edit on 10-12-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

link   

So who is to play god on these forums in order to determine who is or isn't allowed an opinion, debate, or anything else regarding religious topics of who, what, when, where, why, and how ?

You ?

All I see is an OP with a bone to pick because a few threads here and there are offending his/her faithful sensitivities.

What makes you think you have the right to give your belief system priority over others to the point of "not allowing" their opinion on ATS ? There are "offensive" threads coming from both directions, but you seem to think that those others should be policed whilst religious prosthelytizing should be allowed because it follows your particular credo...

These forums are loaded with people from all belief and non-belief systems from geographical locations all over the world... But how dare anyone produce what you view to be an "offensive" thread against your particular credo ?

Hakuna matada much ?

Ever try just simply not clicking on a thread that attacks your religious belief system so as to avoid being "offended" by simply staying out of it and not reading it ?

Or is that not good enough for you ?

"You can satisfy some of the people some of the time. But you can't satisfy all of the people all of the time."

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ColCurious

This is another one that people rarely acknowledge, religions claim that atheists are
anti religion, while in reality we are anti church and state combination, to oppose
religion we would have to be seeking that it be made illegal, i do not want that and
most atheists don't, we are pushing to get religion out of decision making, to take
fantasy out of the real world of law.

He asks that question as if it makes sense, all you really have to do is replace
what he asks with some organization like the KKK, why are most of us intolerant
of the KKK? well its obvious, what they claim isn't true, if they were to be allowed
to make laws they would choose to make oppressive laws, that is the best way
to answer that if you ask me.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

reply to post by Spike Spiegle

I think there is a conspiracy, I wrote about it...the end.

Well I suppose given the site we're on, you and I both ( the great ATS:wow
that's perfectly understandable

SS

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor

I don't think it's "awesome" to live in a society with crazy people. I think it's dangerous.

Based upon the context [religion] you are making the claim that the religious are crazy. They are not crazy. Enough sociology and psychology has been done using a test population of religious people to confirm they are not crazy.

You are making a connection that doesn't exist.

"Crazy" is not a medical term, and I never meant it as such. Delusional, confused, irresponsibly hopeful, or just plain liars would probably be more specific than just calling them crazy.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join