It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This man says Orion is in the Wrong Place

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I have thought about that before (not so successfully!). I suppose it boils down to the fact that some constellations are just very visible from Earth and kind of look like things we can identify with so they are the ones people have identified over the civilizations.

Until time travel though we will really never know.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by Stormdancer777

To me it's strange that most ancient cultures combined the same groups of stars together to make their constellations. Different names but basically the same combinations.

I never thought of that, ricky it is interesting.

"precession."

Says Kunkle:

If you take a toy top and spin it, it spins around an axis and that axis tends to point in different directions. It moves around. That's what we call precession. So in Earth's case, right now, Earth's spin axis points towards Polaris, the North Star. But in 3000 BC, the Earth's axis pointed towards a different star, Thuban. And that majestic motion takes about 26,000 years. so if you went from 3,000 B.C. and waited 26,000 years, you'd have the north star Thuban again.
io9.com...
This phenomenon was first noticed around 130 B.C. by a Greek astronomer, Hipparchus of Nicea. And as a result, if you actually look at what stars were positioned behind the sun on a particular date, that would have been very different 5,000 years ago than it would today. "We're in a different constellation now and that is the typical sun sign," based on the sun's position when you were born.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Found this from 2008, just thought it was interesting in-light of what ricky noticed regarding constellations.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Who made [the constellations] the Bear, Orion, and the [loose cluster] Pleiades, and the [vast starry] spaces of the south;

Can you direct the sequence of the seasons or guide the Bear with her cubs across the heavens?

OH, angels as stars

Jude 6
And angels who did not keep their own domain, but abandoned their proper abode, He has kept in eternal bonds under darkness for the judgment of the great day,
www.geocentricity.com...

Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about them: “See, the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones

hmmmm

All these years and I never noticed the book of Enoch was mentioned in the Bible
www.gotquestions.org...
edit on 073131p://bFriday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Now that this thread has hopped off the main page, I feel like this is relevant to the topic:

As I said earlier, The Orion constellation was at a very strange angle to how I normally see it. It was only for one night about a week ago, and I never really thought much of it.

I hope the video shared is interesting for people wanting to study the subject further

edit on 7-12-2012 by redreemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

A portion of the quote from your post. "This phenomenon was first noticed around 130 B.C. by a Greek astronomer, Hipparchus of Nicea."

It is important to note that this is an early recorded writing, not necessarily the person who discovered it. If you have noticed in this world, people get credit for discovering things and writing them down in the scientific community. The knowledge of these things can be passed down from generation to generation for a real long time. Science recognizing and validating it does not mean they discovered it, it is just that they have provided an explanation of how it works. A new species of lizard that eats fruit was just discovered. Seems the people who have been traditionally eating this lizard have been eating it for their entire history in a traditional ceremony. The scientists saw a native of the area carrying one back to the village. The scientist got credit for the discovery

Back on track, how long were people of the time of Hipparchus passing the knowledge down before he recorded it? Noone knows if he even started it. It could have been a thousand years or even fifty thousand years before that that people started to assemble these things. We will never know. People have been stealing others ideas for a very long time and making them their own. A lot of cultures lie to make their culture look better than others. Society is the same way today, this policy is evident all over the place.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by redreemer

The Orion constellation was at a very strange angle to how I normally see it. It was only for one night about a week ago, and I never really thought much of it.

You do realize that Orion climbs the hill out of the east, walks the plains of the south, climbs down the mountain in the west.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

I have often wondered if either ice crystals or possibly an energized magnetic field could twist the light to make things appear different. Look how the moon appears so much bigger sometimes and the stars brighter. Twisting light with a prism is possible, a million prisms lined up could make stars appear to move. I think that our magnetic field may have this ability to align the crystals of frost in the atmosphere.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by samkent

The Orion constellation was at a very strange angle to how I normally see it. It was only for one night about a week ago, and I never really thought much of it.

You do realize that Orion climbs the hill out of the east, walks the plains of the south, climbs down the mountain in the west.

Yes, and no. Let me explain.

I've never mapped or charted any constellations/stars, or even read up on them. It's never been my cup of tea. But my eyes have always been on the sky. Ever since I was a small boy growing up somewhere where I was fortunate enough to be away from light pollution.

My comment was to share the feeling I got when I looked at Orion one night. I thought to myself, "Hmmm.. it looks strange tonight." Now obviously, the mathematician/physicist in me thought nothing of it, so I subconsciously dismissed it.

But then I log on to ATS and see other people had the same feeling? Around the same time, in different parts of the world? Well, I then kick the mathematician/physicist to the curb, and share what I can.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Interesting addition. I've never thought of that before.
That would move this 'anomaly' away from the stars themselves, and rather on the medium through which we view them.

Thanks for sharing. Going to spend some time thinking about what you've said.

ETA:

Gravitational waves would be distortions propagating through space and time caused by violent events such as the collision of two black holes. They were first predicted by Einstein's general theory of relativity; however, scientists have yet to find one. - LiveScience

Gravitational waves could distort space, thus allowing light to appear refracted/distorted. A part of me dwells on the significance of Orion, as the maximum distortion would appear in the direction of the source of the wave (as viewed from earth). Add to that, our unanswered questions on gravity, and this could leave a huge gap for questioning. I'll try to gather all my thoughts and form a thread as to not derail this one too much.

edit on 7-12-2012 by redreemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

OH I absolutely agree ricky, it is passed down knowledge.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

We see tornadoes on the sun, these are gravitational or magnetic phenomenon. If the earth's magnetic field was energized it could possibly cause this tornado like distortion of the waves of light to occur using alignments of ice crystals in a spiral direction. It would only be a perception thing, because the stars wouldn't really have moved. This could make it appear that a constellation has turned a different way or possibly the moon has spun. It would only be a lens effect though. It would only last a few minutes so it would be hard to get it verified, someone could go outside and look up and ten minutes later it would be back to normal.

I look at possibilities to explain things, things that are not yet known. This is about explaining things that are paranormal, or explaining something that should be considered impossible by sciences present knowledge.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

really cool that you logged on and have commented,
welcome aboard the crazy train.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
If all you "Closet Geniuses" had a yard with a Sundial or even lived in the same place long enough to note where the sun and moon rose and set through your windows, you would know the earth's alignment to the moon,sun and cosmos has in fact changed increasingly every year and this year we are two days off of what was normal for hundreds of years. However, you bumkins keeping telling yourselves whatever floats your boats, reality will be coming your way real soon.

edit on 7-12-2012 by MajorKarma because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrieBird
I heard it explained as the axial rotation of the earth is off making it appear like it was in the wrong place. In other words we moved the constellation did not.
edit on 6-12-2012 by BrieBird because: (no reason given)

Ya two big Earth Quake last few year they said the plate move by 4 inch here on earth
So a few billon of mile away it would look a bit more
I keep telling the north star is diffirent place also but nobody believe

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorKarma
If all you "Closet Geniuses" had a yard with a Sundial or even lived in the same place long enough to note where the sun and moon rose and set through your windows, you would know the earth's alignment to the moon,sun and cosmos has in fact changed increasingly every year and this year we are two days off of what was normal for hundreds of years. However, you bumkins keeping telling yourselves whatever floats your boats, reality will be coming your way real soon.

yes sir, things do change, no doubt about it.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by WaKingLieFE
reply to post by DenyObfuscation

Originally posted by DenyObfuscation

Originally posted by WaKingLieFE
No.

The earths axis is tilting.

Tilting relative to what? The Sun and Moon are where they belong.

Polaris

by a very small degree
edit on 6-12-2012 by WaKingLieFE because: (no reason given)
[/quoteYes North Star look at a different place higher up then before
But nobody believe ]

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Originally posted by MajorKarma

yes sir, things do change, no doubt about it.

I "Get" what you infer but not only did I note a change in our sun's rays this past summer but my grandfather who has been a farmer all his 89 years and is still farming told me the season came 45-60 days later than in (2009) and young palms that usually have no problem with the sun were showing burnt palm fronds as if they had been hit with a magnifying glass. So, don't kid yourself, something has significantly changed and the changes were not gradual. Even now it feels like Sept or Oct here and certainly not December.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
checking in from chicago. it seems most people on here claiming "impossible" are relying on apps and software.
My two cents... Not only is orion slightly off in position, but i noticed it a full three weeks early this year.
ive also been avidly taking moon photos with my canon sx 40.it has a 35x zoom, and i can see the crators on the moon with it. just google "canon sx 40 moon" and you should see a ton of images pop up. it seems the moons "face" moves a lot more than i remember. the big star shaped impact crator that i always remember being on the bottom is now on the right.

who knows? we all better focus on Love though. you dont have to but its reccomended. as for typos, caps and sentence structure, work with me community im getting used to my first tablet computer.

As above so below.

We only criticize that which we dislike in ourselves so many times. Whatever helps you sleep at night i guess.

Not to scare anyone either, and ive never dreamt about "doomsday" scenarios, but i just had a dream lake michigan flooded chicago. you should also google edgar cayce future map. i for one am not going to be around for the 21st-23rd, and wish you all peace and blessings.

Karma.......
Edit to add- dec. 2nd 2012 in chicago itnwas 70° farenheit. if youve ever been in chicago, on dec 2 nd of any year i would bet just about anything it has never been 70° on Dec. 2nd EVER. Not to mention thepast two new years eve have been about 65°, anyone here at the time and im sure your venerable apps and softwares can confirm im not making this up.

edit on 7-12-2012 by twtankhamwn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Is it possible for a constellation to change and the rest of the sun moon and stars to remain in the same place?

Nope. Our solar system would have to be traveling FTL through the cosmos to change positions of the stars, so by natural means it' ain't possible.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace
Many amateurs have Go-To telescopes. They align them to several known stars (like the North Star), and the automated mechanism can swing the telescope to any of the hundreds of famous targets, like the Orion. If anything had shifted, these telescopes would show the wrong part of the sky.

There wasn't any pole shift either, because the North Star is exactly where it's always been.

That the problem with those Go-To telescopes if you align them to a known stars (like the North Star), and the automated mechanism can swing the telescope to any of the hundreds of famous targets, like the Orion they position will be raletive to the north star.( so no change to see here)
What if the north star has change a few degree sence those Earth Quake.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join