It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Went to Social Security office in Texas and didn't hear English spoken for 30 minutes

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

This. This. This again

I don't mind Spanish being spoken, but the Cinco de Mayo crap drives me nuts. The police run DUI check points on Cinco, but do not do it on the 4th. School children in LA County cannot wear American flags on Cinco either, because fights break out. It makes me believe they are not happy to be in America.

It is one thing to communicate and get your point across, it is entirely another to replace one culture with another.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Cornczech

Went to Social Security office in Texas and didn't hear English spoken for 30 minutes

I think this pretty much sums up ATS these days.
edit on 12/5/2012 by yadda333 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
We don't have an 'official' language because we never had to fight for it before. We were never forced to speak a foreign language in our Country. If you come here legally, you are required to learn English. Most people speak English.

I have worked with many Latinos,Asians, Africans etc. and most of them all knew English. Out of respect so that we could all understand each other, communicate and form friendships it was English and only English that united us.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

When people immigrate here, it is required that they learn English.

They are not required to learn English.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
you might not be racist but you definitely are xenophobic

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
So how do emergency numbers work? This is actually nuts basically! I'm not arguing for or against, diversity. But services and emergencies need to be handled, along with basic education and schooling. Not mish mash.

And whoever wrote about dominance of one race over another. Not happening. The move is towards equality and respect for all people and abundance, OR ITS GOING TO BE A CONTINUAL PUSH, STRUGGLE TILL HEAVEN WINS AND NO ONE LIVES IN HELL ANY MORE.

Love and Light and Goodness isn't rolling over and giving into to NWO and Fascism. And that statement doesnt have a color behind it, but some cultures need to grow up, especially the ones that subjegate women and children and enforce religions.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

In 20 years you won't hear english at all, except from the minority white people. It'll be spanish or gangsta ebonics

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

When people immigrate here, it is required that they learn English.

They are not required to learn English.

"The naturalization test is aimed to demonstrate the prospective citizen is capable of basic English reading, writing, and speaking skills."

"The Content of the Naturalization Test: English and Civics
Individuals will be tested by a United States Citizenship and Immigration Services officer during the interview. The individual will need to demonstrate his or her ability to read, write, and speak the English language as well as knowledge of U.S. civics. During the test, the applicant will need to read one sentence out of three sentences correctly in English and write one sentence out of three sentences without error. The applicant's speaking ability will also be assessed during the course of the interview. To pass the civics component, individuals must answer correctly six out of ten civics questions."

www.usimmigrationsupport.org...
edit on 5-12-2012 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   

You said when people immigrate here, they are required to learn English. This is not true. Immigrants do not have to learn English. The only immigrants who are required to learn English( and limited English at that) are people who are going through the Naturalization process to become US citizens. Which is the info you posted.

Immigrants are not required to become naturalized citizens and that means they don't have to learn English.

Se habla Espanol and many other languages as a result.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Me gusta hablar en español!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by xedocodex

The immigration laws the founding fathers set up even state you speak English and the federalist papers set up English as the official language. We are Americans, not divided little countries of foreigners.

According to U.S. English, the following states have existing official language laws on their books: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Wyoming. A small handful date back more than a few decades, such as Louisiana (1811) and Nebraska (1920), but most official language statutes were passed since the 1970's.

www.usconstitution.net...

edit on 6-12-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

You said when people immigrate here, they are required to learn English. This is not true. Immigrants do not have to learn English. The only immigrants who are required to learn English( and limited English at that) are people who are going through the Naturalization process to become US citizens. Which is the info you posted.

Immigrants are not required to become naturalized citizens and that means they don't have to learn English.

Se habla Espanol and many other languages as a result.

W O W ! ! !
Really
Let me help you. According to Websters Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary

"Immigrant: A person who comes to a country to take up permanent residence"

(my assumption is that either you are joking or don't actually think immagrants are intending to become citizens?)

What exactly is your deffination of that word?

And ya know what, I may very well be ignorant, or shortsighted...because if I were to go to a country for PERMANENT RESIDENCE I would consider myself one who has chosen to become a citizen of that country

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
before british traitors annexed texas, there wasn't even one baptist church, there were catholic missions helping the poor and illiterate.

and the mexicans were shocked when people started showing up, staking claim on land that wasn't theirs, and then holding rallies in english stirring up independence.

it must of been quite a sight, when some hill billy showed up on a mexican's ranch and presented him with documents, in english by the way, ordering them off the land and to file a grievance with the courts.

that must of been quite confusing for the mexican when he went to the official courts of the land, and a spanish magistrate reviewed his case, wondering if it was a cinco de mayo joke and telling him the document had no legal authority.

and imagine the mexicans shock to find out the court the hill billy meant was the one in town that doubled as a saloon after 6 and the judge was the honorable uncle otis, the hill billy's cousin.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcouncil=wisdom

W O W ! ! ! Really

Yes Really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me help you. According to Websters Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary "Immigrant: A person who comes to a country to take up permanent residence"

Let me help you. A dictionary doesn't portray reality.

(my assumption is that either you are joking or don't actually think immagrants are intending to become citizens?)

No joke. I know many of them who are happy remaining permanent resident.

What exactly is your deffination of that word?

Don't need a definition because I am not trying to define what immigrants goals are. Just pointing out that immigrants don't have to learn English unless they are trying to become US citizens.

And ya know what, I may very well be ignorant, or shortsighted...because if I were to go to a country for PERMANENT RESIDENCE I would consider myself one who has chosen to become a citizen of that country

Many people who come here are not chosen. They are allowed to come due to family ties and once in America they have the right to choose whether to become citizens or remain permanent residents.

Isn't America Beautiful?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
The melting pot analogy has no standing when looked at by the founding fathers standards, they were huge skeptics of immigration. They wanted an American culture, for people to assimilate to American life. This is another example of an agenda and revised history getting in the way of the truth.

What was likely to happen, according to Jefferson, was that immigrants would come to America from countries that would have given them no experience living in a free society. They would bring with them the ideas and principles of the governments they left behind –ideas and principles that were often at odds with American liberty. “Suppose 20 millions of republican Americans thrown all of a sudden into France, what would be the condition of that kingdom?” Jefferson asked.

“If it would be more turbulent, less happy, less strong, we may believe that the addition of half a million of foreigners to our present numbers would produce a similar effect here.”

Alexander Hamilton was even more blunt. He invited his fellow Americans to consider the example of another people who had been more generous with their immigration policy than prudence dictated: the American Indians.

Hamilton wrote, “Prudence requires us to trace the history further and ask what has become of the nations of savages who exercised this policy, and who now occupies the territory which they then inhabited? Perhaps a lesson is here taught which ought not to be despised.” Hamilton was likewise unconvinced that diversity was a strength.

The safety of a republic, according to him, depended “essentially on the energy of a common national sentiment, on a uniformity of principles and habits, on the exemption of the citizens from foreign bias and prejudice, and on that love of country which will almost invariably be found to be closely connected with birth, education and family.”

He then drew out the implications of this point: “The influx of foreigners must, therefore, tend to produce a heterogeneous compound; to change and corrupt the national spirit; to complicate and confound public opinion; to introduce foreign propensities. In the composition of society, the harmony of the ingredients is all-important, and whatever tends to a discordant intermixture must have an injurious tendency.”

George Washington contended in a 1794 letter to John Adams that there was no particular need for the U.S. to encourage immigration, “except of useful mechanics and some particular descriptions of men or professions.” He continued: “The policy or advantage of its taking place in a body (I mean the settling of them in a body) may be much questioned; for by so doing, they retain the language, habits, and principles (good or bad) which they bring with them.”

www.humanevents.com...

Please don't speak for the founders, especially if you're wrong, their words can still be found if you bother to look.

To repeat:

The safety of a republic, according to him, depended “essentially on the energy of a common national sentiment, on a uniformity of principles and habits, on the exemption of the citizens from foreign bias and prejudice, and on that love of country which will almost invariably be found to be closely connected with birth, education and family.”

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

O.K. Let me get this straight. You went to local SS and all you heard was Spanish for 30 minutes and then in your rant you also mention a Mosque in El Paso....and you expect us to sympathize with your experience. Go away racist.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Djayed

Same goes for Mexico then, because the Spanish language came from the Spaniards
that conquered that land.

It has been going on for all of history.

We won this country, it is America.....speak American English or get out.

My Italian and Irish great grandparents had to learn English to be employed here.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I tend to agree with what many others have said here. It's not even about race or national origin. Not even close. In trucking, I saw my share of Russian and other nationalities who barely spoke enough English to find a bathroom in a well marked truck stop, yet had CDL's and were driving the nation's highways. Still are, I have no doubt. I saw Indians (as in..the nation, not Native American) and Iraqi's at different times too. Many, good people...but enough that couldn't functionally operate with English to be more than annoying and downright disturbing considering context.

The only places I am tolerant of other languages being spoken as equal to English are areas where international stuff is expected. Pretty much all of Southern California when I lived there and later, trucking in and out. Orlando with all it's resorts... New York City and the area for obvious reasons and the like. It's far less tolerable when outside those areas and as others note, I am expected to somehow conform to THEIR foreign culture.

I would never expect another nation to bend to my expectations if I were to go the ex-pat life and move elsewhere. How absurd, when thought of that way.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

My step father is a trucker also and complains about the language thing all the time.

Especially at the weigh stations, they can't communicate with the officials etc.

And he is from S Cali.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
It would appear that most of you never got the memo.

They are phasing out English as the main language in the USA. It will all be Spanish in a few years.

Get that learning program, and roll with it.

edit on 6-12-2012 by lnfideI because: Eff Oh

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join