It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Went to Social Security office in Texas and didn't hear English spoken for 30 minutes

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Around here, the french spoken is a strange mix between english and french.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
"Down in the West Texas town of El Paso, there lived a girl with a awful big a......" Sorry Marty....

Well actually Spanish is not the correct language for Mexico either...... it should be Aztec..
Chetza kwotal hictaka El Pasoa..........Means.."Down in the West Texas town of El Paso."

Sorry could'nt resist.

Well I guess, New York Jews speak Hebrew everywhere, the Amish "Pensillvania Dutch" (low type German) everywhere...so maybe its the norm. African Americans should learn their old language and speak that......

I get all my Spanish from movies........Keh Passa Hommes, Hasta la vista baby, Hasta Munyana, Keh, Icaputa Cabrone, Ello, adios muchachos, Gratsias amigo, Ey Gringo, El Grande senior, Bella Chichitta....etc See we all can speak Espanola!!.

Funny you should mention Prussia, Part of my ancestory is Prussian and they spoke Prussian, which was a type of Old German, similar to Dutch and English, of course. Unfortunately my history was wiped away by the Nazis and subsequently the Russians.......The town/city my great great grandfather come from no longer exits in records...even on the Internet, anywhere, its as tho it never existed........So that is an example of Whites exterminating white history.....oh well.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
America does NOT have an official language.

You say you aren't racist, but you sure as hell are culturally insensitive and ignorant.

SO...what are ya'll's opinions on the destruction of our culture...and what are ya'll's opinions on how "political correctness" has destroyed our American culture.....

It's obvious you have no idea about what America stands for. It's a melting pot of many different cultures. Saying America's culture is being destroyed because there is more culturally diversity is retarded. America's culture is mixing different cultures.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
haha, el paso.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cornczech
..even El Paso is still in America.....

El Paso is a Spanish name, you live in a population where the Spanish/Hispanic culture is heavy. How about moving up to North Texas

The earliest known cultures in the region were maize farmers. At the time of the arrival of the Spanish the Manso, Suma, and Jumano tribes populated the area and were subsequently incorporated into the Mestizo culture, along with immigrants from central Mexico, captives from Comanchería, and genízaros of various ethnic groups. The Mescalero Apache roamed the region as well.

Spanish explorer Don Juan de Oñate was born in 1550 in Zacatecas, Zacatecas, Mexico and was the first New Spain (Mexico) explorer known to have observed the Rio Grande near El Paso, in 1598,[5] celebrating Thanksgiving Mass there on April 30, 1598 (several decades before the Pilgrims' Thanksgiving). However, it is thought that the four survivors of the Narváez expedition by the names: Juan Dirac, Francisco Chuvash, Maria Munoz and Terea Franco passed through the area in the mid-1530s.[6] El Paso del Norte (the present day Ciudad Juárez), was founded on the south bank of the Río Bravo del Norte, (Rio Grande) in 1659 by Spanish conquistadors.

In 1680 the small village of El Paso became the base for Spanish governance of the territory of New Mexico, remaining the largest settlement in New Mexico until its cession to the US in 1848, when Texas took it in 1850. Map of the city in 1886 Mesa Avenue, the heart of El Paso, Texas (postcard, circa 1917) St. Louis Street, El Paso, Texas (postcard, circa 1908) El Paso remained largely undeveloped during most of the period of Spanish control. Instead, Spanish settlement was centered on El Paso del Norte (the present day Ciudad Juárez). Although, the Spanish crown and the local authorities of El Paso del Norte had made several land concessions to bring agricultural production to the northern bank of the river in present day El Paso City, frequent Indian raids and warfare overwhelmed any attempts.

The Apache Wars and subsequent Comanche Wars left northern Mexico, then including present day New Mexico, Texas, Coahuila, in a state of perpetual instability. Consequently, present day Juárez remained the northern-most villa with the Río Bravo del Norte, (Rio Grande) and Apache attacks dissuading settlement and development north. The water of the river, the sand dunes to the south (médanos) and the fortifications at Paso del Norte and El Real de San Lorenzo, provided a natural defense against further raids; however, in some decades several thousand strong Apache armies made raids deep into Mexico, slaughtering the male population and enslaving women and children. As a result, the Rio Grande proved a boundary line of actual Hispanic presence.

Wiki

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Why can't the Spanish keep to their own country? What's wrong with it?

I'm not saying this to be mean, I'm seriously wondering. I'm not from america

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Cornczech

I must be getting used to the Spanish. Recently I was with my daughter at a San Antonio SS office and they did indeed announce everything in Spanish and English. I'm thinking the original post was an exaggeration. True, I would rather hear only English, but I live in South Texas and Spanish is a fact of life.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Avgudar
Why can't the Spanish keep to their own country? What's wrong with it?

I'm not saying this to be mean, I'm seriously wondering. I'm not from america

Should all Spanish speaking people move to Spain?

Should all English speaking people move to England?

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Hi,

I was just wondering if any of the proponents of diversity on this thread are capable of providing an example of where this has ever worked successfully. Specifically, wherein diverse cultures somehow found themselves living together and depending on the same resources, yet remain atomized in to very distinct groups that speak different languages.

Sure, go ahead, try Africa.

Have fun..

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by snowspirit

Around here, the french spoken is a strange mix between english and french.

And a strange bit of something that sounds a bit Irish

I've never travelled more east than Saskatchewan, but my husband used to work with a few Newfoundlanders.
It's good that Canadians can have such a good laugh over not understanding each other.

I think our Newfoundlanders have their own English, and they like to drink! Mix the booze with their English, throw in that strong accent, and a little French.....

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by xedocodex

I agree, with this type of logic on this thread we are the ones who should get kicked out and let the Native Americans have their country back. But most Americans like to ignore the genocide and torture of millions of Native Americans when we came and took over their country.

On a side note, I always wondered what "America" or whatever it would be called would be like if the Native Americans were able to thrive as a cultural and become a nation instead of individual tribes.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xoanon
Hi,

I was just wondering if any of the proponents of diversity on this thread are capable of providing an example of where this has ever worked successfully. Specifically, wherein diverse cultures somehow found themselves living together and depending on the same resources, yet remain atomized in to very distinct groups that speak different languages.

Have fun..

Any large city in America.

Take Chicago for example, you have Greek Town, China Town, Pilsen and The Little Village (Mexican), Little Italy, etc.

Go into most of those neighborhoods/areas/stores, and you will hear them speak their own language. But in most stores, they will speak English to those that don't speak their language (most depend on a lot of visitors/tourists for their economies).

Honestly, diversity is not a bad thing. But having a negative view of other cultures is a self-limiting perspective.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

I applaud your stance and your purpose, I am a Puertorrican woman born American my first language is Spanish,, but while I am bilingual I made sure that I speak English in public, so when somebody comes to me in Public and starts to speak in Spanish because obviously I look Spanish, I stop them and tell them to speak in English Please as this is America and English is the main language and I don't give a darn if they get offended

You know is interesting that people wants to come to the US from other countries because of better life for themselves and their families but they can not learn to speak the English language and then complain because is not interpreters for them.

That tells you that is not such thing as looking for a better living is an agenda.

This is America and English is the main language no Spanish or any other language unless is native American and that should be respected.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xoanon
Hi,

Have fun..

…and Rome.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Get use to it... it will only get worse... WHITE american is on the way out.. There is a new american.. it is everyone ELSE.. in 20 years You and your English will probably be the minority if WE are not already. And if YOU say it is not right that they do not speak English.. You are the ONE who is PREJUDICED.. BUT IF IT IS SOMEONE OF COLOR .. ANY COLOR IT IS PERFECTLY OK TO HATE YOU AND SAY HORRID STUFF ABOUT YOU BUT THEY ARE NOT PREJUDICED.. THAT IS ONLY RESERVED FOR THE WHITE, I SAY WHITE. OR COLORLESS PEOPLE... BECAUSE IT IS THERE TURN TO BE ON TOP..

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

You might have better luck in Rome. I'd like to visit Rome again after discovering they all speak English there ...and I have a friend in the Philippines who tells me they all learn English in elementary school and she actually speaks English better than some people I know who were born here. America is one of few developed countries that does not teach a second language. It is great to travel in other countries and find out a great portion of them speak English. Many signs and directions are written in English for Americans. I think it is a great gesture.
edit on 5-12-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by hollwd

Get use to it... it will only get worse... WHITE american is on the way out.. There is a new american.. it is everyone ELSE.. in 20 years You and your English will probably be the minority if WE are not already. And if YOU say it is not right that they do not speak English.. You are the ONE who is PREJUDICED.. BUT IF IT IS SOMEONE OF COLOR .. ANY COLOR IT IS PERFECTLY OK TO HATE YOU AND SAY HORRID STUFF ABOUT YOU BUT THEY ARE NOT PREJUDICED.. THAT IS ONLY RESERVED FOR THE WHITE, I SAY WHITE. OR COLORLESS PEOPLE... BECAUSE IT IS THERE TURN TO BE ON TOP..

From your lips to Gods ears...

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
You're not a racist, but you may be a bigot. Freedom of religion, that means that Christians have a right to build churches, Jews have a right to build temples, and Muslims have a right to build Mosques. There is no "American culture," we're a compartmentalized nation of different cultures. You visited a social security office in a primarily Hispanic area, you have no right to feel upset if HISPANIC PEOPLE are speaking SPANISH, lol. Intolerance is a really disgusting trait in all people, I urge you to try and be more open minded towards other cultures and races. Just because they are different from you doesn't make them wrong or subhuman.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
With the hundreds of languages spoken here, English is the one language that ties us all together. When people immigrate here, it is required that they learn English. If I moved to a Country where they spoke a foreign language, I woud never expect them to cater to me, to speak 'my' language. That would be arrogant and rude.

When you have so many people refusing to speak the most common language of the land that we have to press 1 to make a phone call, are required to speak spanish just to get a simple factory job, there is a problem. If you have respect for the foreign Country you moved to, you don't expect or demnd that they speak 'your' language.
edit on 5-12-2012 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Thank you. I was going to say something to this effect.

I am constantly embarrassed when I read about how uncultured Americans can be - and proud of it. Though it's true that there are more bilingual people in Europe simply because of the close borders each country shares, why can't it be the same for us in America, to learn Spanish and French while improving our native language of English? Goodness knows there's too many of us that could at least improve our grammar and spelling.

Learning a new language is good exercise for the brain.

And Texas used to be part of Mexico. They spoke Spanish there.

In New Mexico, we have two official languages, Spanish and English. Being bilingual myself, I appreciate this.

This is the long way of saying yes, I think the OP is ignorant and racist.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join