It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God is Not a Person

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I think a better threadtitle would be, God is not a prison.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SubAce
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I walk with God daily. You cannot be a friend of someone or know that person without first knowing their name. I know the name of my God, he is Jehovah. I can learn about him by looking at his book of creation. In creation many facets of his personality and wisdom are revealed. In fact a man can study creation for an eternity and never fully comprehend or grasp the diversified wisdom of Jehovah. Then of course there is the Bible. By reading it daily we learn much about him. And also there are things in life that he does for his witnesses. I understand you may scoff at much of this. I respect you and your beliefs. But mine are firm and sound based on reasoning and solid proof that he has provided. I am sad you have eyes but yet you cannot see these things. But then again it is to be expected for even Jesus said:

(Mark 4:11, 12) . . .but to those outside all things occur in illustrations, 12 in order that, though looking, they may look and yet not see, and, though hearing, they may hear and yet not get the sense of it, nor ever turn back and forgiveness be given them.”

Jehovah ain't his name either, it's Yahveh. No J's in hebrew. The O and A in Jehovah came from transplanting the A and O from Adonai (Lord) into YHVH. The tetragrammaton means "behold the hand, behold the nail" or "behold the nailed hand". He is Yeshua (Jesus) and that name means "Yahveh will save". Hence why i posted the following video above:

The burning bush was a boxthorn tree (Gharqad tree of the Quran), the same thorns used to crown Jesus with. The pillar of fire inhabiting the burning bush, crowned in thorns in Exodus when he manifested to Moses, manifested into the flesh of a man, and the romans had no idea they were doing this when they crowned him, but the jews knew, they saw the symbolism and when Pilate had Yeshua Ha'Neseret, Ve'Melekh Ha'Yehudim (Jesus of Nazereth, King of the Jews) nailed above his head, it really upset the jews and they wanted him to remove the title, because it was saying that they had crucified Yahveh (YHVH) their own God. They crucified our Creator and when they do Hosea 5:15, it will bring them face to face with him in Zechariah 12:10 and they will mourn what they have done.
edit on 2-12-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SubAce

There are a lot of witnesses to attest their to gods' reality. Allah, the Hari Krishnas, and Wiccans come to mind.

We still don't know if Zeus and Odin are dead though. They may have moved on, leaving your guy in charge, while they're off colonizing other planets.

edit on 2-12-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

It is obvious that there is no J in Hebrew. Yet we translate Hebrew names into English with a J. Let me give you some examples: Jeremiah, Joel, Joshua, etc. No one whines or protests to this. There are even other English words that uses Jehovah's name, for example, the Hebrew transliteration of the word Hallelujah, which literally means Praise Jah (Jehovah) you people.

Actually the name Jehovah comes from the hebrew verb hawah, which is a verb meaning to cause, and the name literally means: He causes to become. That is, Jehovah can become whomever he needs to be or whatever to fulfill his good will. He can be a Savior, he can be a Manly Person of War, he can be an Instructor, he can be a Creator, etc. No one but God can rightly be called that. In fact in Exodus when Moses asked Jehovah if he was to bring a different name to his people, God uses the same verb that has to do with causation some translate it as "I am that I am." But he was not making a statement of self-existence, rather a statement of whom he was to become to save his people. He was going to reveal himself to his people in a unique way, becoming their Savior out of the hands of the Egyptians, thus proving his existence to them, and showing that he is indeed Jehovah, the true God, it is more accurately translated: (Exodus 3:14) . . .“I SHALL PROVE TO BE WHAT I SHALL PROVE TO BE.” . . . (NWT)

As for the transliteration of Jehovah's name into English:

The Codex Leningrad B 19A, of the 11th century C.E., vowel points the Tetragrammaton to read Yehwah′, Yehwih′, and Yeho·wah′. Ginsburg’s edition of the Masoretic text vowel points the divine name to read Yeho·wah′. (Ge 3:14, ftn) Hebrew scholars generally favor “Yahweh” as the most likely pronunciation. They point out that the abbreviated form of the name is Yah (Jah in the Latinized form), as at Psalm 89:8 and in the expression Ha·lelu-Yah′ (meaning “Praise Jah, you people!”). (Ps 104:35; 150:1, 6) Also, the forms Yehoh′, Yoh, Yah, and Ya′hu, found in the Hebrew spelling of the names Jehoshaphat, Joshaphat, Shephatiah, and others, can all be derived from Yahweh. Greek transliterations of the name by early Christian writers point in a somewhat similar direction with spellings such as I·a·be′ and I·a·ou·e′, which, as pronounced in Greek, resemble Yahweh. Still, there is by no means unanimity among scholars on the subject, some favoring yet other pronunciations, such as “Yahuwa,” “Yahuah,” or “Yehuah.”

Since certainty of pronunciation is not now attainable, there seems to be no reason for abandoning in English the well-known form “Jehovah” in favor of some other suggested pronunciation. If such a change were made, then, to be consistent, changes should be made in the spelling and pronunciation of a host of other names found in the Scriptures: Jeremiah would be changed to Yir·meyah′, Isaiah would become Yeshaʽ·ya′hu, and Jesus would be either Yehoh·shu′aʽ (as in Hebrew) or I·e·sous′ (as in Greek). The purpose of words is to transmit thoughts; in English the name Jehovah identifies the true God, transmitting this thought more satisfactorily today than any of the suggested substitutes.

wol.jw.org...

edit on 2-12-2012 by SubAce because: grammer

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Angle

I think a better threadtitle would be, God is not a prison.

That's very interesting. I'd like to know more of your thinking on this.
Are you willing to spend some time and energy explaining?

~wild

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SubAce

YOU who are unreasoning among the people; And as for YOU stupid ones, when will YOU have any insight?

"Stupid ones?"

What?

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SubAce

In fact a man can study creation for an eternity and never fully comprehend or grasp the diversified wisdom of Jehovah.

Then, why did you say he was a person?
Really?

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

GOD IS NOT A PRISON.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Angle

Okay, you, erm, already said that.

So, the most energy you will spend is to hit the caps key?

Look, I like your premise!; God is NOT a prison (nor a person)....so, where do we go from here?

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SubAce

The purpose of words is to transmit thoughts; in English the name Jehovah identifies the true God, transmitting this thought more satisfactorily today than any of the suggested substitutes.

This offends me. We choose words according what we think they should mean, instead of according to what they actually mean?

That's seriously screwed up. What's the point of communication then? To tell pretty lies that will get us ahead in life? Well, looks like it's working. That's become a lifestyle, for sure.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

You totally twisted what was said there, that is too bad really.

Jehovah is an accurate and well-known transliteration of the divine name. It is known and used around the world. It is true that it is a hated name by those who like to "spit on God." Satan and his demons surely tremble at the divine name and would like to hide it, and it is hated by those who love darkness and hate truth.

But his name is his alone and it will endure to times indefinite. How I do love my God and I love his light. I also know that his name is a strong tower and all those calling on his name in that day will get away safe:

(Proverbs 18:10) The name of Jehovah is a strong tower. Into it the righteous runs and is given protection.

(Romans 10:13-15) . . .For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.” 14 However, how will they call on him in whom they have not put faith? How, in turn, will they put faith in him of whom they have not heard? How, in turn, will they hear without someone to preach? 15 How, in turn, will they preach unless they have been sent forth? Just as it is written: “How comely are the feet of those who declare good news of good things!”

What a wonderful God! My final sentiments on the matter are those of faithful Joshua when he said:

(Joshua 24:15) . . .Now if it is bad in YOUR eyes to serve Jehovah, choose for yourselves today whom YOU will serve, whether the gods that YOUR forefathers who were on the other side of the River served or the gods of the Am′or·ites in whose land YOU are dwelling. But as for me and my household, we shall serve Jehovah.”

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SubAce

Honestly, I can't understand all the adoration for this angry, blood thirsty egomaniac deity of the Old Testament. I can't think of one wonderful thing that he did.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
snip

edit on 3-12-2012 by Angle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I understand window, He ye cannot touch. He is not a person. Untouchable but witch a human touch. Not a person as invincible. STRIKE!

ed/ who was I in contact with? Cleanse myself of demons and unclean spirits

ed/ Wildtimes
Windword
Angle

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Angle

ed/ who was I in contact with? Cleanse myself of demons and unclean spirits

ed/ wildtimes
windword
angle

All I can tell from this post is you feel you were in contact with wildtimes and windword, and possibly "angle" if that's not a signature. Your demons and unclean spirits have nothing to do with me or windword, and the only possible reasons I can see for you trolling this thread are not productive ones.

Loose planks. Who knew?

Six drowned but I found the hole. Why did I take the book? He sank so fast.

ed/please don't trash the thread up in future, Those last lines make perfect sense to ME, but to no one else in the thread. If anyone's interested in asking me about them, they will, and I will explain, rather than making another nonsensical post wasting bandwidth and showing off my disruptive tendencies (if not my psychosis).

Angle, do you think your "GOD" is proud of you here? Well pleased?

edit on 3-12-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

"God is not a person"

Saying, "God is not a person", is the same as saying there is no God.
You are saying there is . . "something", something that exists, that has some of the attributes normally associated with the concept of a God, but it is not God.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Saying, "God is not a person", is the same as saying there is no God.

It is? Not in my thinking/understanding. God is much bigger, with no faults or emotions (aside from Love).

Humans, "people" are frail, fickle, selfish yet altruistic, prone to mistakes. GOD does not "need to understand" anything, and is not "withholding" answers. Nor did GOD write anything down anywhere except in his Creation: Nature.

Transcending human endeavor and limitations in every possible way. NOT A PERSON anymore than a tree, or rock, or cloud, or flower, or lightning, or wind, or cat, or giant squid, or star or black hole. ALL OF THOSE things, INCLUDING people are part of the CREATION.

People defile the creation, bicker and moan and whine and pray. Become ill, injured, old, and die.
GOD is the cycle of the universe and the everything that it contains. Persons are barely more than innocent passersby.

So no, jm, I don't agree that saying God is not a person is saying there is no God. But if some feel they need God to be a person, a temperamental father-figure who will punish you once he gets home ("just wait til your Father gets home!") when mother tells on you.....
then, okay. Whatever makes people feel motivated and inclined to do good is acceptable.

edit on 3-12-2012 by wildtimes because: typed jw instead of jm...sorry.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join