It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe's first gay-friendly mosque set to open

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Gay-friendly mosque to open near Paris for those who do not always feel welcome in places of worship - in a project opposed by French Muslims. Sarah Sheffer reports.

Europe's first gay friendly Mosque - Video

This is a bold statement ... and I really hope this works. However on the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if we learn this place is torched or the man is killed. It's not that I don't respect the people of the faith, it's that there are a lot of people in the world that are extremists of every religion and ideology who don't want a "gay" anything.

Since Islam is the "hot button" these days, I'm sure something will happen. Either by a religious extremist, or by someone that places blame on Islamist extremists.

Either way ... amazing progression, and I hope it survives!

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
This made me curious, and I decided I'd see how many gay friendly Christian churches there are in the US, just as a comparison..

There are nine..........in my home city alone.

459 in NYS.

www.gaychurch.org...

interesting....

Here's analagous stuff in the US

In this brisk Monday night in late October, members of Muslims for Progressive Values, a nascent American reformist organization, had gathered from around the country to celebrate a milestone: In four years, the group had grown from a few friends to a thousand members and spawned a string of small mosques and spiritual groups that stretched from Atlanta to Los Angeles.

Today, as America's Muslim leaders debate controversial topics like political radicalism inside mosques and states' attempts to ban Shariah law, this growing network of alternative mosques and Islamic groups is quietly forging a new spiritual movement.

They're taking bold steps, reinterpreting Islamic norms and re-examining taboos. While far from accepted by mainstream clerics, these worshippers feel that the future of the religion lies not solely with tradition but with them. Women are leading congregations in prayer, gay imams are performing Islamic marriages, and men and women are praying side by side.
www.huffingtonpost.com...

US is a bit ahead in terms of Progressive Islam it seems. Maybe because of the racism resulting from 9/11 creating a need to prove themselves as different than extremists?

There are 155,000 Muslims in Paris,link,.

Many say there is something like 10% of people are gay, this is a myth, it's more like 2%.

Still stands to reason that there should be some 3,000 gay Muslims in Paris.

They deserve a welcoming place

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Hmm, another mosque, not what we need.
Well, at least they are more liberal, I gotta give them a +1 for that.
Now just get rid of your silly religion and it would be totally great, and that's not just for Islam, but for all religions.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
If I may offer a more complete link to the Paris story? abcnews.go.com...

While it would be the first gay mosque in Paris, there are believed to be 21 other gay mosques sprinkled through the U.S., Canada and South Africa.

In countries where traditional Islam is dominant, like Egypt and Iran, punishment against homosexual activity, not to mention advocacy for gay rights, is very severe.

Zahed's Parisian mosque will be inspired by the work of Muslims for Progressive Values in North America, who practice common prayer, in an egalitarian setting and without any form of gender-based discrimination.

"We are already working very closely with them. The idea for our Paris mosque comes as a result of our conversations," says Zahed, whose future plans include "a progressive mosque in the UK and then another one in Denmark will follow."

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Cool. A religious establishment that DOESN'T discriminate from the moment it's planned. That's...well, cool.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
Cool. A religious establishment that DOESN'T discriminate from the moment it's planned. That's...well, cool.
Unless you are a woman.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
So now we have gay mosque now? Oh my head hurts so bad.

Mankind really needs to be destroyed and cleansed.

God will not tolerate this much longer. People have really gotten out of hand.

Ok, I can understand a person been gay..ok cool but now they're taking to these super religious mosque now?

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ryanssuperman

... amazing progression, and I hope it survives!

Definately a step in the right direction! Sadly theres always the hardcore fundamentalists clinging to ye olde patriarchoparanoid homophobia/sexism/discrimination. Anyways...good news! More mosques, churches and synagogues wrapped in rainbow flags...

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by PatrickGarrow17
Many say there is something like 10% of people are gay, this is a myth, it's more like 2%.

I had to comment on this
My personal opinion ... its more like %25 of people are gay. Not to mention I believe %99 of the population has gay tendencies, it's natural. Some more so than others.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sylent6

As opposed to what?

The Catholic Church? Which is FILLED to the brim with homosexuals? Who molest children because of their religious sexual repression?

Doesn't really seem that out of order if you think about it.

~Tenth
edit on 11/29/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ryanssuperman

Originally posted by PatrickGarrow17

I had to comment on this
My personal opinion ... its more like %25 of people are gay. Not to mention I believe %99 of the population has gay tendencies, it's natural. Some more so than others.

Is it natural to be GAY=happy? Yes. GAY=homosexual? No. It is demonic influence set out to destroy mankind. So either conditioning ourselves to accept this behavior or we're just a lost cause.

People better start waking up real fast and real soon.

Its a plaque that will continue to infect us. The human race now is no different from the fictional zombies.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Well this is surprising though not unwelcome.

Truly a step in the " right " direction.

Good on them

SS

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sylent6

No. It is demonic influence set out to destroy mankind. So either conditioning ourselves to accept this behavior or we're just a lost cause.

ahaha...

Oh wait, you were being serious.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Yes sir it is out of order and naturally its no acceptable but I must be stupid.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Trustfund

Yes I'm dead-on serious man. In 10 years now people will be more confused on the subject than they were 25 years ago.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I have a bad feeling about this.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Ryanssuperman

Funny you mention that 25% number...

U.S. Adults Estimate That 25% of Americans Are Gay or Lesbian
Those with lower incomes, the less educated, women, and young people give the highest

www.gallup.com...

So people think there is a lot of gay people...but

The United States has approximately four million homosexual adults, representing about 1.7 percent of the population, according to a new study from a University of California, Los Angeles, research group.

news.discovery.com...

Maybe it's in the middle somewhere, I could see a lot of people "in the closet" so to speak.

99% homosexual tendencies...not touching that one.

Regardless...even if the real number is the low ball...that's 4 million people in America who should be allowed freedom in their choices and lifestyle...and if it's only 2% worldwide?

I'd say 120 million + people should be allowed to be themselves and receive more than toleration but respect from others...

I've been saying for a while on here that the Muslim community is more progressive than terror-heads would like to think, and this is a hugely positive development for Islam, Homosexuals, and freedom in general.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Seriously thinking the same.

The Muslim world went into panic mode over a video of someone's idea of a joke an violence erupted into chaos but this is ok for them to welcome with open arms?

I really have no pity left. This world is changing from bad to worse every single day.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
And I say this, anybody can be anything they want and more power to them but leave it out of the religious system. Its not a place for it. Leave it pure by the right standards and not influence with silly nonsense.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sylent6

Seriously thinking the same.

The Muslim world went into panic mode over a video of someone's idea of a joke an violence erupted into chaos but this is ok for them to welcome with open arms?

I really have no pity left. This world is changing from bad to worse every single day.

Seriously???????? All of the violence and crazy things going on in the world and you are worried about what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their homes???

How someone can believe in freedom and yet allow their beliefs to interfere with how others choose to live their lives just goes to show why and how Christianity is taking such a severe beating in this day in age.......I don't recall Jesus ever preaching hate! Do you?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join