It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Xmas is coming! Time to let the Santa myth go.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I was visiting an atheist friend earlier and his 5 year old son came up to show him a toy in a newspaper ad that he wants for xmas. My bud tells him to go put it on his list for Santa so he goes across the room to his little desk and busts out the crayon and I asked him "Why do you tell him Santa's real man?".

Now I didn't say it loud, the TV was on and his son didn't hear me, I made sure of that.

This is my friends response: "SHHHHH!!!!!!!!" and he jumps up waving me out of the room. So we go in the kitchen and he explains in a pretty irritated way (this guy is usually chill as can be) "We don't want him to feel alone or ruin it for the other kids at school". I say well you don't teach him about god, what's the difference. He says this is just for fun and no harm will be done once the kid figures it out and I questioned that. Nothing got resolved or compromise be made, he told me I don't have kids so I wouldn't know and I left shortly after.

Looking back to my childhood and the way I look at people now, I wouldn't have been ashamed of my elders for telling me the truth OR never telling me that laundry list of lies to begin with. If anything it would be the opposite, I would have respected them more. I remember being 7 or 8 and other kids moms, teachers, grown-ups bending down asking "Looking forward to Santa coming?" and being like No? wtf do you take me for?

Here is the thing, it never really was fun to believe that stuff. The Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, Jesus, all that stuff is so SO far-fetched 2nd graders call bs on it. I don't think I ever really did believe it and all it instilled in me was the knowledge that my loved ones would lie to me for no good reason.. but they knew what was best for me, right. Some of you out there with very young kids should try this, don't tell your kids these fairy tales. Let them hear it at school or TV and when they ask you about it tell them you don't believe in it, do they? I bet it would take your average 5 year old 3 seconds to scratch his head and decide nahhhh.

So my point is that by telling your kids these myths not only are you losing they're trust but your teaching them that its alright to be dishonest sometimes. Telling them about Jesus or your religion is totally different, you believe that yourself. Telling them things that you know for a fact are untrue is wrong though. My story about my friend and his son at the beginning of the thread was totally made up, now does that make me a bad person? No, but it makes me dishonest and you will be less inclined to believe what I say now. Thanks for reading!

edit on 26-11-2012 by 1/2 Nephilim because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Wait a mo so your telling me Father Christmas isn't real?

Then who leaves all my presents under the tree? and does this mean I can be bad all year?
Jk.
Come on it's part of being a kid isn't it, I cried when I found out he wasn't real but it is part of growing up.
Kids believing in Father Christmas is part of the magic of Christmas, It gives us adults a warm glow to see the kids believing in him.
edit on 26-11-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I was made to believe he existed but I still trust my parents, I figured it out by myself and confronted my mum about it but she told me not to tell my sister or dad because they still believed. (She said my dad believed because I would probably just go and tell my sister).

Originally posted by 1/2 Nephilim
The Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, Jesus, all that stuff is so SO far-fetched 2nd graders call bs on it.

Haha

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by 1/2 Nephilim

So my point is that by telling your kids these myths not only are you losing they're trust but your teaching them that its alright to be dishonest sometimes.

Nonsense. It's fun and it helps keep a lid on things at a hectic time of year.
My daughter just broke the news to me this year that she won't be writing a list to Santa, it will be to me (*sniff*). She still trusts me.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Maybe you should have your own children and try your little science project on them. What lesson could a child learn from anonymity in giving? Any lessons to be learned in faith? You seem awful sure of yourself, which is odd because you lack greatly in life experience. You might do yourself well to look to those who have a wealth of wisdom and experience and question why your values are different.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
If I have kids I am most certainly going to continue the Santa myth. Some of my best memories were Christmas Eve waiting for Santa to come, and I wouldn't want to deprive my child of that. Childhood, fun times.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Originally posted by Phage
Nonsense. It's fun and it helps keep a lid on things at a hectic time of year.
My daughter just broke the news to me this year that she won't be writing a list to Santa, it will be to me (*sniff*). She still trusts me.

Oh? How did that scenario play out? Did you ask her about it and the idea was rejected or did she come to you and say "Listen, I figured it out this year, not happening." I'm sure she does still trust you, just not quite as much. Sorry..

+8 more 
link   
Kids have magical minds. They can turn a cardboard box into a fort, a stick into a rifle, plastic effigies into living, breathing people, and the underside of their beds into places where monsters live.

It's part of their developmental process - this magical thinking. Life whittles that aspect of their minds down over time and naturally. Why rob them of a bit of magic that happens to also bring them toys and promotes the notion of giving to others and being around family once per year?

~Heff

link   
reply to post by OMsk3ptic

Yeah I remember me and my Brother hearing the reindeers bells, turned out it was my mum on a ladder outside our window.
I forgot about that until I read your post cheers dude

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I still give my wife presents "From Santa"
I enjoyed the Santa thing as a kid too, leaving that guy cookies and milk.
Finding out the "truth" about him is a rite of passage, in my opinion.

The tooth fairy bothered me a little, I think she was a tightwad.

edit on 26-11-2012 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Be good and you get presents. Be bad and don't get presents. Santa is pretty much a little white lie to get kids to behave with the promise of rewards towards the end of the year.

I will say having your kids believe in magical things isn't a bad thing. Its one of those things that is up to the parents. A little imagination isn't going to ruin a child's life.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I remember staying up late to try to catch Santa, but always passing out on the couch. I think it's a fun little game for kids. I wasn't too broken up over it when I found out the truth, but I still cherish the memories.

link   
Oh do come on. Let kids have their fun. There is nothing wrong with Santa or Easter Bunny etc. It was a HUGE staple in my family. It was so exciting to simultaneously stay up waiting for Santa and his reindeer and trying to sleep so he'd come faster. It was amazing to wake up super early and see the stuffed stockings and such and see the cookies and milk gone. Sure mom and dad hated being woken at 5am by a shrieking maw of kids but hey, looking back, I know they got joy out of it too. Seeing Santa at the mall was the BEST THING EVER.

I never denied my son the innocence of Santa/Easter Bunny. No kid I knew, even when I was a kid, was mad when they realized those were just fun Holiday traditions. Maybe it's just bitter adults who want to ruin something so innocent. It's not a lie, persay; it's a reason to give your kids glee and fun for a few weeks out of the year; leading up to the holiday and a few days after.

Kids don't hold the Santa/Easter Bunny traditions against parents. What they DO hold against parents are those true lies. Maybe lies like, "Yes, you'll get this if you clean your room, etc" and they don't get a thing. Or "Don't worry, daddy will come back home later" as mom knows dad is gone for good. "I"ll play with you after dinner" and they never do. Stuff like that is serious lies that do negative to a child. The joys of Santa et al do NOT do that to kids. Just in warped adults warped minds, it apparently does.

link   
reply to post by onthedownlow

Originally posted by onthedownlow
Any lessons to be learned in faith?

Uh no, I've had mine. Thats the point, the Santa thing didn't hurt my feelings that bad but it did have an impact on my opinion of the grownups around me.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   

No. I don't think it does any harm.

It's ok to believe in fairy tales like santa claus.

Up until a few years ago I believed in the U.S. government. Now that I know it's all a lie it only makes me sad.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Well thats the thing, kids do have great imaginations. If they ask you to come play in they're fort with them which is a blanket over some boxes theres nothing with engaging in that with them. The other way around though... mmm, sounds pretty weird.

Edit: The crazy stuff they want to imagine should be they're choice.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Xmas is coming! Time to let the Santa myth go.,

Alright then 1/2Neph,

Bon Voyage then, off you go, let us all know how it goes in your desolate, Santa Claus-less vaccum.

I will put out a tiny stocking for you in the hopes that your chilly heart is somehow turned towards the North Pole at Christmas.

Love,

X.
edit on 26-11-2012 by Xoanon because:

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
lol, I'm abit surprised that every single reply to this subject, on a conspiracy website nonetheless, has been "Hey hey hey, let this one go". Kind of ironic..

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1/2 Nephilim
lol, I'm abit surprised that every single reply to this subject, on a conspiracy website nonetheless, has been "Hey hey hey, let this one go". Kind of ironic..

xD that's true. To me it's this: Conspiracies are for the adults. Simple harmless fun (though still good for adults) is the kids' territory. I think we're all saying 'let the kids be kids and have fun with a simple, fun tradition that does zero harm ever'

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I'll give you credit for one thing, you didn't make a thread about the 21st of December.. As for Chirstmans though, its still one big load of sh!t... Nice to chill with the family though.
edit on 26-11-2012 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join