It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Onions Can Make You Really, Really Sick! Please read.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Originally posted by ArtOfTrance

wow never thought the day would come where I would have to defend onions from getting bashed
Onions are a very good source of vitamin C, B6, biotin, chromium, calcium and dietary fibre. They also contain good amounts of folic acid and vitamin B1 and K. They also contain flavonoids, these compounds act as antioxidants, have a direct antitumor effect and have immune-enhancing properties. Onions contain a large amount of sulfur and are especially good for the liver. As a sulfur food, they mix best with proteins, as they stimulate the action of the amino acids to the brain and nervous system. wooooo Onions
I will be letting others know this though,I still like onions but at now its good to know of health hazards I didn't know before TY OP

Well, it is ATS. I run into all kinds of things getting bashed on here. But, I agree, bashing an onion is unexpected!

Great information about the onion you shared. Thanks.

Everyone can go ahead and enjoy their onions. I think we have debunked this claim that they are a bacteria sponge.
Thanks for everyone's responses.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

actually they may be why you didn't get sick after all, maybe they were absorbing all the bacteria....you seem to be confused.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Nah let's stick around and bash the onion basher's some more

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Open2Truth
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Thank you for the link.

reply to post by sled735

I thought it odd you didn't include the source link with your post. The passage you quote was presented by the source as an example of an "e-rumor" and presented as false.
I can understand wanting to consider the information, and I'm sure that many would agree with DrumsRfun, that its better to be safe then sorry. But IMO very bad form to present something as true directly from a source that claimed it is false without providing ATS members with the info.

For those who missed the source link - OP Source

edit on 11/21/2012 by Open2Truth because: adding source link

edit on 11/21/2012 by Open2Truth because: (no reason given)

why would you trust anyone else in reviewing it when you can just test it yourself?
most scientists have controlling factors governing their work normally the military sometimes corporations this means you cannot trust what a scientist says or a doctor come to think of it they are controlled by where the money comes from,

so if you hear a rumour especially about your health and even moreso when it just means sticking an onion next to the bed of someone thats ill try it yourself do not listen to someone elses opinion

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Star & Flag for you. I thought I would share some health benefits I found, please forgive me if some one beat me to it, here are some of them along with the link to see more.

www.juicing-for-health.com...

Health Benefits

Ancient records reveal that onions have been used as far back as 4000 B.C. as a cure-all for many illnesses. In WW II, the vapor of onion paste was used to reduce the pain and accelerated the healing of soldiers' wounds. Even now, we find many medicinal properties from this dynamite bulb:

Anti-coagulant: Just by eating half a medium raw onion daily can significantly lower cholesterol and help prevent heart attacks.

Anti-septic: Fights infection bacteria, including E.Coli and salmonella, and is effective against tuberculosis and infections of the urinary tract, such as cystitis.

Blood pressure: Whether you eat it raw or cooked, onions help to lower blood pressure naturally. It also thins the blood, dissolve blood clots and clear the blood of unhealthy fats.

Cholesterol: Eating half a medium raw onion daily significantly helps to correct thrombosis, lower the LDL cholesterol and prevents heart attacks.

Constipation and flatulence: Add plenty onion in your cooking to help relieve chronic constipation and flatulence.

Diabetes: Chromium in onion helps diabetics' cells respond appropriately to bringing down the insulin level and improve glucose tolerance.

Diuretic and blood cleansing: Help counter fluid retention, urinary gravel, arthritis and gout. Hair loss: A study has shown that applying onion juice on scalp twice a week for 2 months will cause hair regrowth. Definitely cost much less that those hair tonic.

Immune booster: The pungency increases blood circulation and causes sweating. Useful in cold weather to ward off infection, reduce fever and sweat out colds and flu.

Sexual debility: Onion is a potent aphrodisiac and stands second only to garlic. For this, the white variety is most effective.

Hope this was informative!

edit on 11/21/2012 by BrokenAngelWings33 because: delete color

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I had fruit flies once when I was a single young bachellor. Of course my place was a complete pit. I can second the "cloak mode" of those little bastards.

So what did I do? I put out shot glasses of tequila and poured lye down my drains. It took forever to get rid of them, and I even got used to covering my drinks with my hands.

To this day I still find myself covering glasses or cups with my hand without thinking.

I'm so glad I keep my place nice and clean these days. God, I was a horrible slob in my early 20's.

link   
Its totally misconstrued.

The author said flu virus, then called it a bacteria.

Totally different. Very embarassing mistake in the first few statements.

link   
reply to post by BrokenAngelWings33

VERY INFORMATIVE!! And a star for your post. *BING*

THANKS!!

edit on 11/21/2012 by sled735 because: addition to comment

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ascension211
reply to post by chr0naut

actually they may be why you didn't get sick after all, maybe they were absorbing all the bacteria....you seem to be confused.

Only half as confused as the person who wrote the initial article.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
just reading this post my eyes filled with tears.....unions perhaps....
edit on 21-11-2012 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeReK DaRkLy

It tends to get a little slimy between uses, so I rinse it with warm water before using again.

Why in gods name wouldn't you just buy a fresh onion?!

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Sorry OP, no S&F for you

This story is total BS - I've seen this on FB a couple times and the gullible ignorant mob believes it.

Please see urbanlegends.about.com...

People should use normal safe food-handling practices for onions as they would with other vegetables.

This would be funny, except that its sad thinking of how many people believe this nonsense.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfin4it
Sorry OP, no S&F for you

This story is total BS - I've seen this on FB a couple times and the gullible ignorant mob believes it.

Please see urbanlegends.about.com...

People should use normal safe food-handling practices for onions as they would with other vegetables.

This would be funny, except that its sad thinking of how many people believe this nonsense.

Didn't say I believed it. If you read below the quoted text, you would have seen where I was asking the question if anyone else had heard of this. There was no source with the info on f/b... thus my question below the post.
I am not gullible or ignorant, thank you very much!!!!

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I like to eat large sections of onion without chewing it much.
You just kinda let it slide down into your stomach.
Anyways, it soaks up all of the germs in your body and cleans you out of all bacteria.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I have never gotten sick from eating a day-old onion that has been left in the fridge.

If a person is that fragile, they should just go live in a bubble and stay there.

For real.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
reply to post by sled735

Use a little logic and you will easily totally refute the claims of this totally false piece of fiction.

Here's how I used my logic...

I posted a question about the information given on an onion.

In no time flat I have people posting information; Looking at it frontwards, backwards, upside down, inside out, flipping it over, tossing it in the air, smashing it on the floor, and splitting it wide open to dissect it thoroughly... providing links, and sources right to my thread with the positives and negatives of the onion... and I didn't even have to do anything but sit and wait! Ha!

I have EVERYTHING I'll ever need to know about the onion!

I love ATS! I knew you all would come through with ALL the information I need. Thanks!

edit on 11/21/2012 by sled735 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
How in the world would an onion outside of your body remove any viruses from within your body?
This is nonsense, onions help keep you healthy and destroy germs and bacteria within you.
As for using Snopes for a source -

They still think jet fuel fires brought down all 3 WTC buildings.

I am amazed at how many have ignored this post and continue to debate the BS.

DENY IGNORNCE

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I can confirm unions are bad for you. I cut one up the other day and it
Made me cry.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by tombangelta
I can confirm unions are bad for you. I cut one up the other day and it
Made me cry.

... well, just look at Jimmy Hoffa...

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

ive heard that onions have chemicals in them that actulay kill bacteria, though ive never looked into this

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join