It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please enlighten me, what is wrong with religion?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by johngrissom

Come on you and I both know why you made this thread...you want to fight.
You asked my opinion and I gave it so for the last time I'am out.
Oh and freedom lol wow you follow a man made religion, made to control us and you think you are free lol please.
edit on 19-11-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

OMG I read your OP again...all Muslims are bad? ffs dude what if they are right and you are wrong eh?
My guess is your either a bit slow or about 14.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

No, really? What god do the Pirahã people worship? Never happen, in YOUR world..

And you seem to hate Atheists. Got a nasty axe to grind. Non-selective attacks.

Ahh good luck to you and your god, I'm sure you'll both do fine..

Ah, yes, the old you hate Atheists comment. You cant even prove that I hate Atheist because you DO NOT hang out with me. In fact I CHOSE to hang out with Atheist because most Christians are fake. And being in the MILITARY, most people are Atheists. And if any of you gents would actually read my post you would actually see I have no problems against Atheist. Because, I have ADMITTED LONG AGO, that both are not wrong and it is HUMAN NATURE to believe in what you want.

But, what all of you failed to realize was the very fact, this thread was nothing but a way to explain neither side is wrong. And, since everyone that replied is Atheists; all of you got defensive, like yall normally do.

No one could answer the easiest question, "how is religion wrong."
Instead it became personal vendettas, insults, personal beliefs, and not once did anyone say "I respect your beliefs but yadadada." Someone did mention yada, but that is besides the point.

When simply comparing an individual's belief to be the same as an opposite, you get a defensive, hurtful reaction of individuals. A prime example of human nature.

I applaud everyone for participating in my experiment. Oh and next time, try not to get so angry

edit on 19-11-2012 by johngrissom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Dude people have answered why religion is wrong.....FFS man do you not read? and your government gave you a gun.

Oh why do I keep on posting in here. Please someone shoot me...(Not the OP I bet he would shoot himself in the foot).
You are the one in the OP spreading hate....
Oh and last thing you are THE one GETTING angry, you CAN tell by the AMOUNT of words you put in CAPITALS>

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Dude people have answered why religion is wrong.....FFS man do you not read? and your government gave you a gun.

Oh why do I keep on posting in here. Please someone shoot me...(Not the OP I bet he would shoot himself in the foot).

Oh and last thing you are THE one GETTING angry, you CAN tell by the AMOUNT of words you put in CAPITALS>

Actually, exclamation point signifies getting angry. Capital letters are good way to draw attention to a certain word. Plus, when I get mad, I start to cuss.

Maybe I was looking for a fight and maybe I wasn't. How does this make you feel?
edit on 19-11-2012 by johngrissom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   

I'm not your bro, man.

Nice pic. You gonna use that as your avatar?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   

It makes me feel really unhappy that a person in the army (whatever) can make comments like "all Muslims are bad".
Bet you and your boys love to shoot em in the back eh?. Does it make your Religion happy? getting rid of the competion? See I can make you mad as well.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

How ironic that in the OP, I stated that atheist find in it their destiny to ruin a religious person's life by telling them they are wrong. Imagine that.

How is advising people that they have been fooled "ruining their lives"? Why do religious people accuse atheists (I am neither, by the way) of trying to "ruin their lives" by educating them; by suggesting there are other ways to look at life and its inherent problems?

I had a hard time understanding your point in the OP. And I don't see the link up between stoners and religious people...

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

edit on 19-11-2012 by ZakOlongapo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I,too, had a very hard time understanding the op... and perhaps I still don't. I personally do not bash anyone for their personal beliefs, whether its atheism, Muslim, christian, Taoism, E.T. kidnapped me last week and we're all gonna die... religion is actually quite vital to our human spirit and we all believe something... whether it's science, a major religion, or a crazy idea... you believe it then it's true to you...

So please enlighten me what is wrong with having the "religion" of science.. aka atheism.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Here is the question:

Please enlighten me, what is wrong with religion?

There is one religion that I encounter on a daily basis that I have problems with - so regarding that religion, my answer to your question is:

If your beliefs are true then god created evil, set evil free, and creates life that will succumb to evil so he can damn the seduced to burn forever or burn a while then become nonexistant.

screw that god

I dont surround myself with lunatics why would I bow to one?

And I have a little more to add on the subject of Adam and Eve, whose "crime" we continue to pay for, seemingly:

He was omniscient. He knew they would be unable to resist the temptation, and he knew "Satan" would provide the temptation. Despite this, he not only created the tree and put it in the garden, he also allowed "Satan" entry. He wanted them to disobey. There were a thousand ways to prevent the opportunity from ever arising, but literally, there was only ONE WAY the opportunity could be created. And somehow, some way, all the pieces fell into play in a garden created by an omniscient omnipotent being who knew everything that would ever happen inside of it and had the power to change the course of its existence at any given moment.

And things went that badly? No. Stop selling me taurine feces. He knew it would happen, and he allowed it to. And if he was really that upset by it, Adam and Eve would never have survived that situation. Eve would have died the moment her lips touched the fruit, and Adam would have gotten a new woman.

No, there's only one explanation: "God" wanted them to fail so that they would gain the ability to emotionally judge their reality. They would be able to label something as "good" or "evil" based on how they felt the situation or object affected their existence, based on how it appealed to their hearts. You cannot learn without making a mistake to learn from, and this was his way of enabling them to make mistakes. Otherwise, they would have been both immortal and completely retarded, ignorant of the world he created. They would have been unable to play with it or experience it.

Yeah, that's exactly what a father wants, right? Lock his kids in the basement from the day they are born until the day they die? No, he was a conniving old gaffer. He set them up for experiencing the world in the only way they could learn the way they needed to, and the fruit gave him an excuse to both enable them and set them free, because he probably didn't want them to ever know what he had done.

Ignorance in the face of tyranny. That's my problem with one particular religion. I do not have any problems with spirituality, but there are methods that I don't approve of, because they only work when restraint is present - something the human species has failed to master in the presence of fear.

Any more questions?

edit on 19-11-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

What is wrong with religion is that it brings duality since the practitioners do not follow what the great teachers preach (Jesus, Buddha, Krishna, Nanek) or even understand it.

But then humans will find another duality to fight about if it is not religion. Politics, Nationalism or cultural differences.

And if you wanna be EN-LIGHT-ENED you better start playing around with chakras. It is a physical change your body goes thru when you are ready.

By the way everything that exists and god is the same thing as told by both Jesus, Buddha, Nanek and Krishna in their own way.
edit on 19-11-2012 by LittleByLittle because: Spellchecking

edit on 19-11-2012 by LittleByLittle because: Spellchecking

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I'd like to post something I posted in another thread, which explains my views. See, it's not that I hate religion. I don't hate religion at all. I hate how it's used. I hate its restrictions.

My spirituality dictates that there is no god. There's a divine principle, a design that has invented itself and continues to reinvent itself in such a way that everything is automated with a perfection that man would be dumbfounded to recognize. It is so subtle that our clumsy methods of scientific study trip over it and fail to recognize the significance. The stigma of religion has created an idealization of it that cloaks the true nature in whimsical fancy. And yet both are right in some ways - they are simply too brash to grasp the bubble without crushing it. The bubble, the design, is perfection incarnate. It is the joy of creation, the thrill of immortality through eternal reimagining and continual experience. Math has shown me this, geometry has shown me this, the dance of music and vibrations and physics and the planets and colors and weather has shown me this. Judging by how easily stuff breaks in the world of today, how easily entropy has its way and breaks civilizations into memories and cities into rubble, people into casualties and philosophies into mere curiosities of mind long dead, it can't be coincidence that everything we in the universe today happened despite the destructive properties of time as we have come to know it. If chaos is truly so random, we should have started from square one a dozen times over by now, and yet we continue to grow in spite of the devastation that we believe created this universe. Math itself the most pure and impartial language we know, tells us that this world, as we see it today, is nothing short of a miracle.

Christians call it by a different name, and regard it differently than I do, and this makes all the difference. I'm not saying my view is superior, by any means...however, it does tend to lend a more realistic understanding of the universe, a more healthy perspective of how our existence relates to the divinity of this plane we have found ourselves in.

All in all, my disappointment stems from the realization that the basic belief system of Christianity prevents us from seizing our full potential and saving this species from the death spiral that could potentially destroy everything we have worked so hard to make for ourselves. Should we master compassion and empathy, we are capable of utilizing the divinity within us to make a future far brighter than has ever been imagined - but at this point in time, we are too afraid for that which is palpable and personal to see anything beyond that which concerns our immediate scope of reality. I hope that makes sense.

That's how I feel.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

wow,i have to give that to you as pretty dam well on the nail.it shows a clear mind in respect to the fog of religion and many other things going on.humanity how ever, is growing anxiety to reach next level of maturity,and still contronted with the fears,as usual. stagnation or evolve are the paths ahead. just my opinion. thanks for them writtings.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

My biggest issue with secular religion is how sensitive folks are about it. In the US specifically, no one is allowed to challenge a person's perspective and stand thier ground against someone that is Christian for example. Because if they did they could be offensive and end up losing thier job and so forth.

It is a taboo subject that should be able to be challenged. If you are going to tell me that a book says that Ellijah went up to heaven to be with God in a fiery chariot and I should just blindly believe it because it is in the bible then you are opening yourself up for criticism and I should be able to challenge your stance without fear of reproach.

Why so sensitive?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

You are the one in the OP spreading hate....

You keep replying because it is like a car wreck and just can avoid looking lol and indeed what a wreckage this turned out to be

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
If ones goes by star counts as to who is winning the argument boymonkey owned the OP

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Human nature Also consist of arrogance. Which is Religon. The whole idea God created all things physical because he loves you so much , is the most arrogant Idea ever. Man created God in our likeness And in our image, not the other way around. God exsist in our reality because we created him. Just because you percieve something to be true in your reality , doesnt make it true. There are truths in reality And there are things we choose to beleive, just because You beleive it to be true does not make it so. Religion is a means of control period . Choosing to beleive in a Grand Architect that created all things is far fetched but not out of the realm of possibility. Whether or not he likes Us or even cares about Us is debatable. Truth be told we humans kill over a simple opinion that differs from someone elses. So in My opinion the world would be far better off without it. And using the argument that it teaches Us good moral lessons , there are so many factors in life that determine what kind of person we ultimatley end up being And all humans Have the ability to disern right from wrong and to think this flawed history book plays so a big roll in good character development is misled. It divides Us as a people , merley because we interpret things differently. Better off without it for sure..

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

So, what does all this have in common? HUMAN NATURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, what exactly is wrong with religion? Nothing. Atheist for some reason find it in there destiny to ruin lives for others when in fact everyone has the will to kill someone. Doesn't matter if it is in the name of a religion or in the name of Atheism. Everyone has the power to do it.

So, again what is wrong with religion?

The flaw in modern religion (in my view) is that it attempts to complicate/mystify man's relationship with God/nature rather than simplify it. The Christian Bible, for example, has story after story, but how much of it is repetitive? How much is practical? How much is embellishment? How much text has been changed/added/omitted over the centuries?

But naturally the Bible is a long, complex narrative - that's part of the "pull"... if the Bible were reduced to its useful pages, you'd have a pamphlet that most people would toss into the bin.

Even in the Buddhist texts that I read, the messages are repeated, just in different words and parables.

The other flaw I see in religion is that religion cannot defend itself from those who would try to use it for selfish or nefarious purposes. Everyone can interpret it according to their own desires, and many people abandon thinking for themselves for a more automatic way of thinking, parroting what they've read or heard. Frequent Bible-quoters are notorious for this... you know the type.

Nothing can replace thinking/questioning/meditating for oneself...
The truth is within, if that's indeed what we're looking for.

edit on 19-11-2012 by DeReK DaRkLy because: ...

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Hiya OP,

I'm atheist. I don't give all religious people a hard time. I do get frustrated though when they give me a hard time, and don't take any time to understand their own history, books, or my stance. Examples:

Originally posted by johngrissom
Sunnis and Shiites, most atheists think both kill for religion when only one of them do but all Muslims are bad.

I have no idea how you've managed to poll most atheists and actually work out that's a consensus. There are plenty of Catholic and Christian people who have nothing nice to say about Muslims. I've spent a fair amount of my time defending Muslims from them on these boards.

Templar are Protestant but Christians get bashed for the Crusades. In fact the Crusades was a war to help regain the land for the Christians from Muslims.

The Crusades were blessed by the Catholic pope.
Protestants are Christians generally.
The knights Templar were one medium sized part of the Crusades. They were endorsed by the Catholic church, and depending where you read they got stitched up.

Moses helps the Egyptians escape Egypt (true story proved by science), but the Bible is fake.

I don't believe this?

Egyptians? Means Jews?

And finally, there is no proof God exists and doesn't exist but Atheists are determined to ruin life for religious people.

Pretty sure most atheists don't actually care.

So, again what is wrong with religion?

People who don't bother understanding others points of view, and don't take the time to read basic philosophical information on their faith before having a rock throwing contest with their atheist neighbours?

Can't be forcing beliefs on anyone because Atheists do the same.

Bit tired of religious people claiming things are forced on them. Gay people have a parade? Forcing stuff on us. Atheist gets drunk and becomes famous? (RIP Hitchens) Forcing stuff on us. Muslims worship in our country? Forcing stuff on us. Educating children about other religions? Forcing stuff on us.

Televanglism has been around for ages. Churches regularly advertise. Crazy people run around reading out bibles in public. In England there's an annual Church float thing. In Ireland there's various marches. You get the point.

People just need to get used to discourse and other people being around them without freaking out.

Can't be because there is no God, there is no proof there isn't one or more than one.
Can't be because of evolution, there are still monkeys.
Can't be because of the big bang theory, no one has proved there is life on other planets.

I have religous friends how are very educated and know all the basic arguments for these types of things. I respect their beliefs very much because of it.

What is wrong with having a book that reminds us to be good natured? Ten commandments and beliefs? What is wrong with all that?

If that book reminded people to be well read and educated in most circumstances then we would all be fine.

Religion encourages not to become a criminal but what is stopping an Atheist?

I suppose I haven't stolen your shoes and beaten you with them so that's a start?

There so many threads on this around the boards and piles of books around.

I must have missed where the Cartel are religious.

Many street gangs are religious. Especially in poor countries. (Check the tatts)

No one is forcing a religious individual to following every rule in their religious book. Hell, 60% of Mormons dont even follow there rules.

Sharia law is a start. There are plenty of religious orgs like the boy scouts. There is a general distrust of atheists which is a step towards 'encouraging' people to claim to be christian or another religion. Allegedly having a jewish name in hollywood doesn't hurt either.

Atheists as a general rule don't recruit each other into exclusive organizations mainly because not believing in something is an odd thing to hang out over. There are skeptic meets and a few other things, and there have been some lack lustre attempts .... but most Atheists really do not care.

I dunno how old you are etc ... OP but am not being sarcastic or anything. Just you should read a lot more. Myself and others have plenty of book suggestions if wanted.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join