It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please enlighten me, what is wrong with religion?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by johngrissom

But do you believe in Jesus? what was your church before you left?.
2th

Yes, I do. My church before I left was Non-Denominational not Non-Denominational Christian, that is why I claim no religion because I have tried everyone of them. Basically, I believe in God and Jesus and believe that the Bible is a guideline to life. Not meant to be worshiped. And, Judgement is based on actions in life, not how many times you when to church.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   

It is unfortunate that you cannot see both sides but at least I can't admit there is no proof there is a God. But, you cannot admit there may be. Im pretty sure that is the definition to faith though.

Really?

Can you show me where I stated anything of the sort?

Can you show me anywhere that I have stated that I am an atheist?

When you ASSUME you make an ASS of U and ME.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Okay...so you think you are better? No one is wrong in Atheism vs God because of the very fact there is no proof to support either side. There is a few that prove stories in the Bible to be true but not God. But, I love how you claim me to be wrong for me. Isn't that selfish and ignorant or maybe you are being sarcastic?
edit on 19-11-2012 by johngrissom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Then sorry you still follow a man made religion...Jesus was written about by man not god.
I have read the Bible and I think people have got Jesus wrong. He did not agree with man made religion but history and man have made him into a religion.
Jesus would weep.
Watch a film called The man from earth...explains it better than I.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by johngrissom

Okay...so you think you are better? No one is wrong in Atheism vs God because of the very fact there is no proof to support either side. There is a few that prove stories in the Bible to be true but not God. But, I love how you claim me to be wrong for me. Isn't that selfish and ignorant or maybe you are being sarcastic?

But we aren't having a discussion about "Atheism and God". The topic, As was outlined in the OP is Atheism vs religion. 2 different things.

Stars are also a good indication of which side in an ATS debate is right. How many stars u got?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin

It is unfortunate that you cannot see both sides but at least I can't admit there is no proof there is a God. But, you cannot admit there may be. Im pretty sure that is the definition to faith though.

Really?

Can you show me where I stated anything of the sort?

Can you show me anywhere that I have stated that I am an atheist?

When you ASSUME you make an ASS of U and ME.

Does one need to be associated with a religion to be able to discern right from wrong? Does considering one-self as being of a religious denomination automatically instil an ability to discern right from wrong? When you say good natured.....Do you mean the kind of "good nature" catholic priests have been showing their alter boys? Religion is the bane of society as it absolves scumbags from taking responsibility for their own actions. Lie, cheat, steal, kill, rape, etc.......it does not matter when you can just go to confessional and absolve yourself. Religion has a lot to answer for.

Nope, just you and the brigand of Zionists that have been camping here over the last week.

Yeah...pretty sure you have some pent up aggression towards religions.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
The basic problem with religion is it's accomplishment of the exact opposite, that it professes to achieve. It keeps people from developing spiritually and thus keeps them from growing closer to God. There is nothing in religion that encourages critical thinking but rather it preaches the acceptance of dogma, that cannot withstand the light of day. We must do what each of us thinks is right and make our own mistakes and learn our own needed lessens and religion places barriers to this because we are supposed to accept many things on faith and that teaches us little or nothing. We have to test and push back and dig into and question, if we are to really learn. We each have a conscience to guide us, as well as the support and criticisms of others to help us through the maze of life. It may be comfortable to hold on to the shore but the real action is when we push out and let the current take us and it is certainly more dangerous. Religion wants to package us up in a neat little dumb ball and prevent real experience, so that we grow as little as possible. It's all about mind control and not spiritual development.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Then sorry you still follow a man made religion...Jesus was written about by man not god.
I have read the Bible and I think people have got Jesus wrong. He did not agree with man made religion but history and man have made him into a religion.
Jesus would weep.
Watch a film called The man from earth...explains it better than I.

Thanks for admitting that religion is believing in God and that it is wrong.
So, what are angels?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   

No you miss the point read rollpauls post...
Another question how old are you?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb

But we aren't having a discussion about "Atheism and God". The topic, As was outlined in the OP is Atheism vs religion. 2 different things.

Stars are also a good indication of which side in an ATS debate is right. How many stars u got?

Wow, you really have no idea do you? This is a heavily Atheist site. If you haven't figured that out, than you are blind to your own hubris and that is just pathetic. And, just because you have stars doesn't mean anything. It is the internet bro.

And just for you let be rephrase the original post....Atheism vs God(s)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   

A child raised in a world where there is no mention of god, will not suddenly believe in god.

A child raised in a household that preaches god and spews hate about those who do not believe in god, will log onto the internet and post a thread asking why it's all a little bit silly, and then get snarky when people reply to him with anything but praise.

religion.. what is it good for, absolutely nothing... Bam!

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   

I'm starting to think that you have no idea how to discern between atheism, gnosticism, the concept of a creator and religion.

You might want to check the definitions and try to comprehend the differences between each as I am sure it will assist you greatly in understanding other peoples posts in this thread.

At the very least, you should look a lot less of a douche with a little knowledge under your belt.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   

No you miss the point read rollpauls post...
Another question how old are you?

You are both generalizing everyone in religion and echoing everything is have been saying that all this crap is human nature. Is anyone reading the posts? Oh and are you serious?

The story of Job echos everything rollpauls he posted.
Do not patronize religion with out first studying it.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Like I said belief in a god is not wrong but Religion is, different thing.
I will say it slowly ...man made Religion, not God so religion is man made, If you follow a religion you are not following god you are following a man made interpretation of what man thinks is god.

Are you serious, are you freaking serious?

Definition to religion: The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.

Im pretty sure religion, God, and belief are all in this definition but I will go with it.

So, there is no God because all religions are man made? So, anyone who believe in a God is wrong. Since the definition clearly states that. Don't you dare retract that statement either.

Found the problem guys... He can't read.

And if he has any legal documents to his name, please GOD don't let him get near a court room.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   

I give up...no point trying to discuss something when you have such a closed mind, You made this thread thinking you know the answer already but when someone suggests something different from your own views you go all douche like.
Iam out.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

A child raised in a world where there is no mention of god, will not suddenly believe in god.

A child raised in a household that preaches god and spews hate about those who do not believe in god, will log onto the internet and post a thread asking why it's all a little bit silly, and then get snarky when people reply to him with anything but praise.

religion.. what is it good for, absolutely nothing... Bam!

That will never happen because religion has been around since the monuments and there is no proof of what exactly existed before Sumerians, etc...

What can't any of you admit you hate religion and that you will go to the ends of the earth to ruin it? Which is till human nature.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin

I'm starting to think that you have no idea how to discern between atheism, gnosticism, the concept of a creator and religion.

You might want to check the definitions and try to comprehend the differences between each as I am sure it will assist you greatly in understanding other peoples posts in this thread.

At the very least, you should look a lot less of a douche with a little knowledge under your belt.

I have studied more religions that you could possible imagine. Why? Because, it was forced upon us in a PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL. You haven't brought any facts to the table at all...only insults and opinions.

At least I provide definitions that all you try to recreate for your own benefit. Guess what...that is religion for you. I guess there is some similarities.

Since none of you can admit of the possibility of God(s) existing. At least again, I can admit that there could be no God. But, that makes me the better person....oh wait, no it doesn't it mean I can see both sides and form an opinion for myself. Instead of what mommy and daddy told me.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Heck I hate Religion because once again for the 4th time in this thread...it is man made, a form of controlling others.
Only you can understand God no one can preach and tell you what God is/wants etc.
Religion cause divisions in mankind just look at the world today and you will know I'am right.
Hating religion is not the same as hating God.
Oh and I believe in god but I'am not going to preach to people about it nor am I going to hate others for what they believe I will leave that to the OP.
But honestly I'am out...not arguing with children.
edit on 19-11-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   

No, really? What god do the Pirahã people worship? Never happen, in YOUR world..

And you seem to hate Atheists. Got a nasty axe to grind. Non-selective attacks.

Ahh good luck to you and your god, I'm sure you'll both do fine..

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   

I give up...no point trying to discuss something when you have such a closed mind, You made this thread thinking you know the answer already but when someone suggests something different from your own views you go all douche like.
Iam out.

Please bro, you have been trying to force your own opinions that religion is wrong the whole thread.
I merely stated IN THE ORIGINAL POST, that neither side is wrong because it is human nature to believe in something, to do wrong, to do right, to have free will, but none of you understand that concept. Which blows my mind because all of you scream freedom on this website but have no idea what it is.

Bash me all you want for believing in a God, Jesus, religion, Bible, all you want but to me you are trying to strip MY FREEDOM away.

Some of you need to check yourselves.

Please keep thinking your better than me because in all honesty if you do understand what God wants out of an individual, than you need help finding God.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join