It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please enlighten me, what is wrong with religion?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by johngrissom

How is it stupid? Explain?

Don't worry about it.

We still think your kooo.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Like I said belief in a god is not wrong but Religion is, different thing.
I will say it slowly ...man made Religion, not God so religion is man made, If you follow a religion you are not following god you are following a man made interpretation of what man thinks is god.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin

Don't worry about it.

Im wating for a valid point to show up

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by johngrissom

Originally posted by smithjustinb

For atheists, the problem with religion is that the books that they are based on contain ample information that has been proven empirically to be false. The intolerance of atheists is directed exclusively towards believers' blatant disregard for absolute facts.

And also it is foolish to subscribe to one religion over another because 99.99999% of the time your religion was not chosen based on devotion but on your location of birth and upbringing.

It's not atheists that are against the religious, its empirical knowledge. Atheists are just on knowledge's team.

Very good point but do you not agree it is human nature to have beliefs in what ever you want and that there is really no difference or wrongs between the two besides beliefs?

I believe that what you believe is a filter for how you see the world. But, believing something is true when it isn't is not okay. Falsehoods are a sickness to the mind especially when they are used to interpret reality. It doesn't matter what you know about something as long as its true.

So, what is true then? I believe the definition to truth would be having facts. In that case, neither side can prove itself. So, isn't belief part of the human nature? I'm come on this is psychology 101.

God has not been proven or disproven, but most all religions have been disproven. Atheists are mad because the religious are ignoring the facts. I guarantee you that if the religious did not follow their dogmas but instead said nothing more than "I believe in God", then you would see a dramatic reduction in the anger and hatred from atheists.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Like I said belief in a god is not wrong but Religion is, different thing.
I will say it slowly ...man made Religion, not God so religion is man made, If you follow a religion you are not following god you are following a man made interpretation of what man thinks is god.

Are you serious, are you freaking serious?

Definition to religion: The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.

Im pretty sure religion, God, and belief are all in this definition but I will go with it.

So, there is no God because all religions are man made? So, anyone who believe in a God is wrong. Since the definition clearly states that. Don't you dare retract that statement either.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Don't worry about it.

I already brought one up.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   

For atheists, the problem with religion is that the books that they are based on contain ample information that has been proven empirically to be false. The intolerance of atheists is directed exclusively towards believers' blatant disregard for absolute facts.

And also it is foolish to subscribe to one religion over another because 99.99999% of the time your religion was not chosen based on devotion but on your location of birth and upbringing.

It's not atheists that are against the religious, its empirical knowledge. Atheists are just on knowledge's team.

Very good point but do you not agree it is human nature to have beliefs in what ever you want and that there is really no difference or wrongs between the two besides beliefs?

I believe that what you believe is a filter for how you see the world. But, believing something is true when it isn't is not okay. Falsehoods are a sickness to the mind especially when they are used to interpret reality. It doesn't matter what you know about something as long as its true.

So, what is true then? I believe the definition to truth would be having facts. In that case, neither side can prove itself. So, isn't belief part of the human nature? I'm come on this is psychology 101.

God has not been proven or disproven, but most all religions have been disproven. Atheists are mad because the religious are ignoring the facts. I guarantee you that if the religious did not follow their dogmas but instead said nothing more than "I believe in God", then you would see a dramatic reduction in the anger and hatred from atheists.

The "facts" are infallible for both sides but since you mention it. Religion has been practice since the dawn of the monuments. And, on top of that had extreme rituals...Mayans, Egyptians, Indians, etc...

So, "I believe in God" statement doesn't work.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   

HUMAN NATURE. Religion is no different from Atheism besides the belief system.

Really?

Can you show me an Atheist that has started a religious war?

edit on 19/11/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

Can you show me an Atheist that hasn't killed anyone?

Would you like me to post a picture of myself? I would at least hope that IF I had killed someone I would know!

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Don't worry about it.

Just because you think your opinion is valid doesn't make it one. That is human nature to think that though.
I came here to have a discussion on how can religion be wrong but just like all the other threads, it has turned into "your beliefs are wrong and you are stupid." Which furthers makes an example that my initial about this, is just human nature and that neither side or wrong nor right.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiser3

Really?

Would you like me to post a picture of myself? I would at least hope that IF I had killed someone I would know!

Would you like me to post a picture of myself? I would at least hope that IF I had started a religious war, I would know!

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   

I'am not saying their is no god, and I do not care about your definition of religion but religion is a brand, be it Christian,Muslim or Shinto.
Oh and read more about the word religion...it doesn't have to be your definition.
en.wikipedia.org...

here is one..The anthropologist Clifford Geertz defined religion as a "system of symbols which acts to establish powerful, pervasive, and long-lasting moods and motivations in men by formulating conceptions of a general order of existence and clothing these conceptions with such an aura of factuality that the moods and motivations seem uniquely realistic.

Iam not Religious because I follow no man made book of rules but does that mean I can not believe in god? because I follow my own heart? not something that has been preached/taught to me by others.
I have answered the question what is wrong with Religion and again I say it...because it is man made not from god.
I'am not having someone tell me what to believe in when the only true answer can come to from one thing..me.
edit on 19-11-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Now you're just being hard to get along with. God would be the Indescribable creator of all that is. Religion is a guide of how that god a should be worshipped. Religious books and their stories do not fully describe nor necessarily accurately describe God. Nor are religious books God.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Really?

Would you like me to post a picture of myself? I would at least hope that IF I had started a religious war, I would know!

As comebacks go......that was pretty weak.

Wanna have another shot at it?

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

I'am not saying their is no god, and I do not care about your definition of religion but religion is a brand, be it Christian,Muslim or Shinto.
Iam not Religious because I follow no man made book of rules but does that mean I can not believe in god? because I follow my own heart? not something that has been preached/taught to me by others.
I have answered the question what is wrong with Religion and again I say it...because it is man made not from god.
I'am not having someone tell me what to believe in when the only true answer can come to from one thing..me.

Okay...yes, I can agree to that a certain extent now but without religion back in the day there would be no God(s). God(s) have created through religion. Either way, I don't not claim a religion.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   

But do you believe in Jesus? what was your church before you left?.
2th

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Wow perfectly said. I couldn't agree more.....

I'll try and add something....humanity was designed to have freewill. That's largely the reason God isn't floating up in the sky where we can clearly see him. If he shows himself to everyone well, there goes freewill to a large degree. How could you be a free human being anymore? It would be difficult as you'd know clearly where everything came from. You'd know that the bible was 100% true and that you needed to follow the plan. So by not showing himself he preserves humanities freewill to do whatever we want, choose whatever path we want, be good, be bad, whatever. but he's also made life set up to have cause and effect so if we make bad choices we ultimately suffer the consequences of those choices. Again perfect example of free will in action. And so in order to believe you just have to have faith. There's nothing to replace faith. Not even really with Christians. You just have to believe that there's some higher power out there, who created it all and is watching over it all, and has a plan for everyone. Ideally he just wants you to try and exercise your faith, even just a little. Then when you do he'll start to make himself known to you and build your faith so you can have a relationship and enjoy the spiritual aspect of your life; all the while, without destroying your freewill. I hope that makes sense. It's just my opinion. that's all I have to say.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Really?

As comebacks go......that was pretty weak.

Wanna have another shot at it?

That wasn't a come back. That was a statement.

On be half of ATS and world, I would like to apologizes that your belief brands everyone in a religion to be wrong and that you cannot formulate an opinion for yourself. Again, that is everyone in a religion's fault.

It is unfortunate that you cannot see both sides but at least I can't admit there is no proof there is a God. But, you cannot admit there may be. Im pretty sure that is the definition to faith though.
edit on 19-11-2012 by johngrissom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Stoners believe there is nothing wrong with getting high

Umm, there isn't.

Thats what I said genius. Does everyone on this have a low IQ?

I think you need to have a nice cup of tea and settle down. All this religions talk is going to your head.

Think, think clearly man... you make no logic.

Also, *raspberry*

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Don't worry about it.

Just because you think your opinion is valid doesn't make it one. That is human nature to think that though.
I came here to have a discussion on how can religion be wrong but just like all the other threads, it has turned into "your beliefs are wrong and you are stupid." Which furthers makes an example that my initial about this, is just human nature and that neither side or wrong nor right.

You are absolutely right. One think I''ve learned from the thousands of ATS posts I've made is that if the majority of people's views aren't resonating with your own, it is most likely because you are wrong. I admit it is hard to admit you are wrong sometimes, but in this case, I think it is clear to most of us who is the most wrong here.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

Where is the Atheist's book to put them on back on a good natured path

If you need bribery to be good natured, then you aren't really good natured. So a good natured Atheist is as good as you can get.

Do you even know what human nature is? Apparently not and you will now google what it means.

At least make a point, that is a meaningless reply, I think you just want me to be wrong.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join