It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Old is Earth? 6,000 Yrs or 6 Billion Yrs...Or?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
We wouldn't need medicine if it weren't for the devil giving knowledge of good and evil to Adam and Eve. We were in paradise. Stick to your beliefs and someday we will see who is right. Either Jesus will come and you will be on your knees crying for forgiveness or the world will just end with no fanfare. Obvoiusly you didn't read the paper. Just the Carbon 14 facts and the fact that they found dinosaur bones with tissue on them. Tissue can't survive more than 10,000 years. It decomposes and the bones turn to stone. Just those two facts alone dispute evolution and the millions of years theory. The author gave over 20 scientific facts that prove evolution is wrong and scientists are making stuff up. Maybe if they told the truth they wouldn't get funding? Maybe you should look at why they are covering up the truth? You refuse to read anything that dubunks your theory and your views. We will see one day who is right.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealTruthIsObvious
We wouldn't need medicine if it weren't for the devil giving knowledge of good and evil to Adam and Eve. We were in paradise. Stick to your beliefs and someday we will see who is right. Either Jesus will come and you will be on your knees crying for forgiveness or the world will just end with no fanfare.
Wrong. You might be punished by Allah in hell. Or by Hades if you don't follow Zeus. But, just as you don't believe in those gods and aren't afraid of them, I feel the same about yours as well.

Obvoiusly you didn't read the paper. Just the Carbon 14 facts and the fact that they found dinosaur bones with tissue on them. Tissue can't survive more than 10,000 years. It decomposes and the bones turn to stone. Just those two facts alone dispute evolution and the millions of years theory.
No, I have read those things and you have not read the counter arguments.

The author gave over 20 scientific facts that prove evolution is wrong and scientists are making stuff up. Maybe if they told the truth they wouldn't get funding? Maybe you should look at why they are covering up the truth? You refuse to read anything that dubunks your theory and your views. We will see one day who is right.
Tell me, why are they covering up the truth?
edit on 17-11-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The Devil is a liar and wants you to deny God to have control over you. Obviously it's working on a lot of people.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

The Devil is a liar and wants you to deny God to have control over you. Obviously it's working on a lot of people.
Dang it! Where is this god of yours? Why doesn't he tell me what is true and what isn't? Does he expect me to believe what you and other fallible humans have to say, especially when you can't all agree amongst yourselves over many issues?

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I don't really get the 7 day creation thing from christians. God doesn't have a 24 hour day cycle, most likely to a almighty god time doesnt exist for them. Only for us in this realm.
edit on 17-11-2012 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Do any of you have any training in where your Soul will
go .This is the end of said 26000 year cycle.Do you not know
SOUL knowledge ,your religion says just believe.Why do so many
of you not have a clue where your soul will go ,because you may
believe in nothing.These a$$ hules creatures make sure you
believe nothing .Have no understanding of the gates and moderators
you will meet on the other side.

Oh i know i am nuts ,there is no knowledge of this,you are all so
brainwashed you cant see what they are leading you too.
Do you know how too attach your spirit with your conscience.
Do you even care,do your religions explain anything that matters.
Be kidnapped again it is all you know ,this is why they think
you are worthless. I know different you are just trusting.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

According to the Bible and science, the earth is approximately four and 1/2 billion years old, and the Universe is roughly 13.8 billion years old.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by drivers1492

Thank you for that link I shall go thru and see the couter arguments made. I am always willing to be educated and change my stance and let a clearer head prevail if the data allows it.

This is why I love Ats both sides of the coin are present here. And to truely deny ignorangce one must carefully examine each side. I look forward to the internal debate I will be engaged in, Thank you.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
meybe 6 billion years from now everyone will get along

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Well now i'm not a christian but i'm gonna take a stab at your legitimate question... god created the heavens and earth in 7 days.. check check.. 1 day is like a thousand years to god... check check.. noah lived to be a 900 year old man... check check... funny thing that bible.. it seems to have a very strange grasp of time as we know it...

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Im just curious what line in the bible people go with that says the earth was made in 6,000 years.. most the people asking these questions about the bible (while putting it down) never have even cracked one to get the answers they supposedly "want". they are more satisfied with the 2nd hand bias answers other non believing people give them that just so happens to be the negative answer they want it to be anyway. just goes to show how ignorant and lazy most people are.
The answer to your question though is we dont believe that.. same goes for the old "Christians don't believe in dinosaurs" as well. that simply tards spreading tard knowledge to other tards.. to understand what a christian does you have to let go of a lot of the human concepts of god you made yourself believe along the way. as c.s. lews would put it

“If you picture Time as a straight line along which we have to travel, then you must picture God as the whole page on which the line is drawn.”

people taking everything out of context is the answer to your question. Ive seen so many post where people will say things like "in the bible it says that god will take care if you if you just believe". this is just another example of 2nd hand knowledge. it does say something along those lines if you pull it out of context the bible likes to go with the the realistic version though .

2 Thessalonians 3:10 "For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

provide the verse and the context its in. but you dont have it. you dont even know where to begin to look. so how can you pull that into an arguement thinking it will carry any validity? my advice look to some one smart who has the kind of answers you say you "want". but you and i both know if you really "wanted it" you wouldn't be so quick to slap it down. that's like saying "i want A cheeseburger" then you drive right by a McDonalds and don't stop. now, did you really want one? cause your actions say different.
on that note ill just leave you with a few more quotes.. maybe they will help you get the bigger less prideful picture

“As long as you are proud you cannot know God. A proud man is always looking down on thing and people: and, of course, as long as you are looking down you cannot see something that is above you.” ― C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

“If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be without meaning.” ― C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

“The great difficulty is to get modern audiences to realize that you are preaching Christianity solely and simply because you happen to think it true; they always suppose you are preaching it because you like it or think it good for society or something of that sort. Now a clearly maintained distinction between what the Faith actually says and what you would like it to have said or what you understand or what you personally find helpful or think probable, forces your audience to realize that you are tied to your data just as the scientist is tied by the results of the experiments; that you are not just saying what you like. This immediately helps them realize that what is being discussed is a question about objective fact — not gas about ideals and points of view.” ― C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

“The vice I am talking of is Pride or Self-Conceit: and the virtue opposite to it, in Christian morals, is called Humility...According to Christian teachers, the essential vice, the utmost evil, is Pride. Unchastity, anger, greed, drunkenness, and all that, are mere flea bites in comparison: it was through Pride that the devil became the devil: Pride leads to every other vice: it is the complete anti-God state of mind.”
― C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
“A proud man is always looking down on things and people; and, of course, as long as you are looking down, you cannot see something that is above you.”
― C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
“The moment you have a self at all, there is a possibility of putting yourself first - wanting to be the center
- wanting to be God, in fact. That was the sin of Satan: and that was the sin he taught the human race. Some people think the fall of man had something to do with sex, but that is a mistake...what Satan put into the heads of our remote ancestors was the idea that they 'could be like Gods' - could set up on their own as if they had created themselves - be their own masters - invent some sort of happiness for themselves outside God, apart from God. And out of that hopeless attempt has come...the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.” ― C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

edit on 17-11-2012 by MikeHawke because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
but the best

My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. Just how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust? … Thus in the very act of trying to prove that God did not exist—in other words, that the whole of reality was senseless—I found I was forced to assume that one part of reality—namely my idea of justice—was full of sense. Consequently atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning. (Mere Christianity, 45-46)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Gerald Schroeder has some interesting ideas about this. Could old and young earth creationism be compatible?

Today, we look at time going backward. We see 15 billion years. Looking forward from when the universe is very small - billions of times smaller - the Torah says six days. In truth, they both may be correct. What's exciting about the last few years in cosmology is we now have quantified the data to know the relationship of the "view of time" from the beginning, relative to the "view of time" today. It's not science fiction any longer. Any one of a dozen physics text books all bring the same number. The general relationship between time near the beginning and time today is a million million. That's a 1 with 12 zeros after it. So when a view from the beginning looking forward says "I'm sending you a pulse every second," would we see it every second? No. We'd see it every million million seconds. Because that's the stretching effect of the expansion of the universe.

The Torah doesn't say every second, does it? It says Six Days. How would we see those six days? If the Torah says we're sending information for six days, would we receive that information as six days? No. We would receive that information as six million million days. Because the Torah's perspective is from the beginning looking forward. Six million million days is a very interesting number. What would that be in years? Divide by 365 and it comes out to be 16 billion years. Essentially the estimate of the age of the universe. Not a bad guess for 3000 years ago.

The way these two figures match up is extraordinary. I'm not speaking as a theologian; I'm making a scientific claim. I didn't pull these numbers out of hat. That's why I led up to the explanation very slowly, so you can follow it step-by-step. Now we can go one step further. Let's look at the development of time, day-by-day, based on the expansion factor. Every time the universe doubles, the perception of time is cut in half. Now when the universe was small, it was doubling very rapidly. But as the universe gets bigger, the doubling time gets exponentially longer. This rate of expansion is quoted in "The Principles of Physical Cosmology," a textbook that is used literally around the world.

(In case you want to know, this exponential rate of expansion has a specific number averaged at 10 to the 12th power. That is in fact the temperature of quark confinement, when matter freezes out of the energy: 10.9 times 10 to the 12th power Kelvin degrees divided by (or the ratio to) the temperature of the universe today, 2.73 degrees. That's the initial ratio which changes exponentially as the universe expands.)

The calculations come out to be as follows: * The first of the Biblical days lasted 24 hours, viewed from the "beginning of time perspective." But the duration from our perspective was 8 billion years. * The second day, from the Bible's perspective lasted 24 hours. From our perspective it lasted half of the previous day, 4 billion years. * The third day also lasted half of the previous day, 2 billion years. * The fourth day - one billion years. * The fifth day - one-half billion years. * The sixth day - one-quarter billion years.

When you add up the Six Days, you get the age of the universe at 15 and 3/4 billion years. The same as modern cosmology. Is it by chance?

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
drop the all-knowing prideful attitude and maybe you will begin to understand. ill let this oxford English professor/ novelist/ ex- atheist do a lot of my talking because he says it better than i can.

“Most of us are not really approaching the subject [scriptures] in order to find out what Christianity says: we are approaching it [them] in the hope of finding support from Christianity for the views of our own party.” ― C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

“Almost certainly God is not in time. His life does not consist of moments one following another...Ten-thirty-- and every other moment from the beginning of the world--is always Present for Him. If you like to put it this way, He has all eternity in which to listen to the split second of prayer put up by a pilot as his plane crashes in flames.” ― C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

“The great difficulty is to get modern audiences to realize that you are preaching Christianity solely and simply because you happen to think it true; they always suppose you are preaching it because you like it or think it good for society or something of that sort. Now a clearly maintained distinction between what the Faith actually says and what you would like it to have said or what you understand or what you personally find helpful or think probable, forces your audience to realize that you are tied to your data just as the scientist is tied by the results of the experiments; that you are not just saying what you like. This immediately helps them realize that what is being discussed is a question about objective fact — not gas about ideals and points of view.” ― C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

to prove my point, im gonna watch how many people disagree with C.s. Lewis. who's done much more than anyone on ats has ever done. yet they will still find it somewhere in that big head of theirs to pull out some audacious argument like they one-upped him somewhere in their life. its really kinda funny to watch and just shake your head at.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Awen24

Originally posted by yourmaker

Originally posted by Awen24
I've been both a Christian, and a Creationist, for over 25 years, and never in my life have I heard anybody say that fossils are put there to "test our faith".

I'm starting to think this is a line Christians use when the heat is felt...

Growing up that's all every Christian ever talked about when dinosaurs were in the same sentence.
No dinosaurs, fossils are placed by Satan as a way of testing your faith.

25 years and you've never heard it? I'm 22 and I heard it FOR YEARS.

...how on earth are dinosaurs a challenge to the Christian faith?
There's no conflict there, they fit perfectly into a creationist time frame. Adam and Eve co-existed with dinosaurs. There you have it. There's evidence around the world - footprints of humans alongside dinosaur prints etc. - and even today we see reports of dinosaurs from around the world - Mkole Mbembe in the Congo, pterosaurs in South America, etc.

From a Biblical perspective, dinosaurs would have died out in a post-flood world...
prior to the flood, the earth had a much greater volume of water in the atmosphere. In fact, the Bible doesn't tell us that it ever rained BEFORE the flood, but that a heavy dew watered the earth. Feasibility studies have been done into these things; there is nothing inconsistent or scientifically implausible about it.

"fossils were put there to test our faith" is both ridiculous, and a cop-out. The Bible tells Christians to be "always ready to give an answer". A rubbish line like that is more akin to burying your head in the sand and pretending that contrary theories don't exist.

Wait a second. The dinosaur prints along side human prints is especially amusing. That funny idea has long since been debunked. paleo.cc.... The trouble with all of your claims you have written is that they are not backed by science in any way. What evidence do you have that it didn't rain before the great flood(which by the way never happened). Also, where did all of this extra water go? If you think it went back into the ground then don't you think we would have detected it with GPR(ground penetrating radar)? You know what I can't even take this seriously because your job is to keep referring to the bible as evidence while not understanding why it's the wrong way of going about providing evidence. Your version of 'science' simply begins with the answers it wants, then works backwards to attempt to find evidence supporting those answers. You think by simply ignoring the mountain of evidence to the contrary of creationism somehow makes your baseless, brainless ideas on how you were brainwashed to think correct? You poor people. I don't know weather to laugh or feel sorry for you.
edit on 17-11-2012 by MapleHam because: forgot to write response

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

edit on 17-11-2012 by MikeHawke because: deletion

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
If the universe is only "6,000" years old, how are we able to see galaxies that are 2.6 BILLION light years away? Riddle me that.
edit on 17-11-2012 by Shaxuul because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
checkout Charles hapgood. Expanding earth theory. The earth has been growing in leaps. That is exactly what is going on right now. Our planet is growing rapidly. According to the theory, the Dinosaurs would not survive today because of the distance that the blood has to be pumped given the size of their heart. It is impossible for them to be that size unless the planet was significantly smaller than it is today. The continents connected and the surface of the planet was much smaller. Earth must be much younger than perceived.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

But 6,000 yrs for some is just that...6,000 yrs. Not 6 Billion as it should be if using the same interpretation.

Alot of things in the bible are allegorical, meaning they have spiritual applications and meanings. You have to be a believer in Jesus the Christ to know these things. We get a Helper that shows us these things if we wish to know.

The world is not 6000 years old. Where people get that from is:

2 Peter 3:8-9

8 But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

Then they apply this to Yahveh creating the world in 6 days, which could mean it took him 6000 years, and on the 7th day he rested (for 1000 years). Now at that point the world would be 7000 years old. Then Man's labor for righteousness began after he fell from grace. As Man was created in the Image of God, we mirror him. It was then 4000 years from Adam to Jesus, so Jesus arrived in the end of the 4th day of Man's labor for righteousness in which Jesus explained that the Last Days had already begun. 2000 years later, it is 2 days later in God's timeline and we are now at the end of the 6th day of Man's (work) labor for righteousness. The 7th day will be Christ's millenial reign where he will rule for 1000 years here on earth (or 1 day be heaven's reckoning) and bring mankind the Rest (Sabbath) after Sukkot (Feast of Tabernacles which is the Marriage Supper of the Lamb).

So in this respect some believe the world is probably no more than 13,000 years old in real time. With the recent discovery of viable DNA found in dinosaur bones, and DNA halflife only being viable for around 12,000 years, it lends credence that the world cannot be 4 billion years old. You can't get viable DNA from dinosaur fossils that are millions of years old. Even the marrow in dinosaur bones is viable and not rock as once believed after a paleontolgist left a dinosaur bone in an acid wash for a few minutes and the marrow became supple and the blood vessels could be seen.

However, we know Adam and Eve were created to be immortal, and they could have lived for a very long time before their fall, and come out of eternity into this timeline millions of years after they were created. Adam lived to be 930 years old, but he didn't start aging until he fell from grace, Eternity flows like a rive around this mortal life and this is the position i take.

The truth is we will never know for sure until Jesus returns and tells us these things and until that day comes, all we have is faith. I personally am not going to bother worrying about those things because they do not matter. The ultimate message is Christ's offer of salvation to those who come to him, everything else will work itself out in due time.
edit on 18-11-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

It's not just the stone though. Like continental plates sinking and floating, and subducting. Earthquakes breaking up the ground. Volcano melted rocked changing landscapes. Meterorites hitting places breaking up rock. Water sources eroding rock down to dust.. etc etc etc....

Like if we didn't have anything else. Just a rock in some cosmic box floating in space where nothing would ever touch it ever, and trapped in some vacume. Then maybe in a few million year who knows, it's plausable that the rock 'MIGHT" and I'm emphasis might be the same. but with the earth constantly changing and evolving. that's not how rock stays. It's constantly subjected to changes. So given even 1 million years the whole world would be reshaped. After tens of millons of years, most atoms would be completely rearranged with other things. You might find a fragment of dust from a dino bone. But to find the whole bone just like a few meters undergroud and in nearly perfect condition, well enough that you can rebuild the bone structure and put it in a musium??? No way! Not after tens of millions of years. At least I doubt it. That type of thing rings way closer to a 6000 yr period.

And like I said before, who cares if the earth is billions or thousands. What matters is we have a concusion that there was a "starting point". so who what an how did it start? It just magically appeared out of thin air into existence, and not only that but so well arranged that life could form on it's own? that's so unbelieveably improbable we can't even count those odds.

edit on 18-11-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join