It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Old is Earth? 6,000 Yrs or 6 Billion Yrs...Or?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

im going with 6000 years or so give or take. too many questions are left unanswered by evolution. why are there still monkeys if we evolved from them? why is a giraffes neck perfect length for blood pressure to reach head? why are there sea shells on mountain tops all over the world? www.earthage.org...: if u wanna learn some interesting stuff that will have u thinking...here u go! enjoy!

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibbajabbafoo
reply to post by jude11

im going with 6000 years or so give or take. too many questions are left unanswered by evolution. why are there still monkeys if we evolved from them? why is a giraffes neck perfect length for blood pressure to reach head? why are there sea shells on mountain tops all over the world? www.earthage.org...: if u wanna learn some interesting stuff that will have u thinking...here u go! enjoy!

Evolution is a process that happens over millions and billions of years. Thats why you/we/i see no new mutations its all about perspective. If we had records stretching back over a couple of million years we then maybe able to quantifi the evolutionary history of our species and others. And a giraffes neck is the way it is due to the golden ratio(Phi) as are most other things in nature. Im not saying that our current notion of evolution is perfect by any means but it contains a hell of a lot more credability than the bible, torah or koran pertaining to our beginnings.
edit on 17-11-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Since we have no frame of reference before human existence for those events occuring...everything beyond the existence of humans on this planet is irrelevant...hence the age of the earth is irrelevant as well...

To get measurements or calculations for anything you mentioned, simply use known OBSERVED dates....anything UNOBSERVED is as I said...irrelevant....

You cant just say..."well.....the last time this here erupted was 60 years ago...the time before that was 2000 years ago.....and the first time was 4500 years ago....so i bet the next time will be around 2000 years from now"....there are things such as external factors you know....

A2D

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

BTW....you care to explain how the age of the earth has any effect on when Yellow Stone will erupt?

a2d

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

look at the page i spliced in there. ull see some interesting facts that are also scientifically proven and and totally are opposite of what modern science says. the science books have not changed since 60s and there must be a reason why scientists have very few debates with YECs. there are rock deposits that are turned upside down in parts of world and cant be explianed by scientist but can be by a flood. flood answers lots of queastions. erosion could have created all we see today in a large scale global flood taking only a short period of time.

link   
Here is a question for anybody with the notion Earth is only 6000 years old.

If our Earth is only 6000 years old, then how old is the rest of the Multiverse? LoL

link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity
reply to post by r2d246

Sounds like he was talking about an ELEPHANT. Dinosaurs were last around 65 Million Years Ago. Humans or specifically our Ancestors were only around for the past approx. 5 Million Years. Since there were a wide variety of Birds during the time of Noah and there was only a few Long Time Extinct Now...Relatives of Birds which were Dinosaurs with Developing Feathers that existed 65 to 150 Million Years ago...it is safe to say that there WERE NOT ANY DINOSAURS AT THE TIME OF NOAH!

If you really believe this then I can only say that you are assuming this from Religious Text. Split Infinity.

So you actually believe that dino bones would last tens of millions of years then? No way that's insanity.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibbajabbafoo
reply to post by andy06shake

look at the page i spliced in there. ull see some interesting facts that are also scientifically proven and and totally are opposite of what modern science says. the science books have not changed since 60s and there must be a reason why scientists have very few debates with YECs. there are rock deposits that are turned upside down in parts of world and cant be explianed by scientist but can be by a flood. flood answers lots of queastions. erosion could have created all we see today in a large scale global flood taking only a short period of time.

I totaly agree that there are numerous problems and errors with our current understanding of evolution and i will even entertain the notion that there is evidence for the deluge. This however no way implies that the Earth is only 6000 years old, just that there was a flood a long time ago.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
You wake up in a video-game. Everything around you has been created by developers and placed there for you. This game has been released for about 6000-years, and just like video-games they have false-histories. I believe that's somewhat how Christians believe in it

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

"So you actually believe that dino bones would last tens of millions of years then? No way that's insanity."

The bones are fossils are they not? Essentially vitrified stone that would last billions of years never mind millions.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I don't know if we really know what time is. If we get together and agree on things, it seems that we get what we agree on. If enough people are thinking about time a certain way, it seems to flow for them this way. Who knows what time is like for an ant? What is time like for your dog? Perhaps the ant, although it lives a shorter life, has a great long life in it's perception. Perhaps you've been gone for what seems like years to your dog, when you only just stepped out for what feels like a few minutes for you? When your dog joyously greets you, it is welcoming you back because you have been gone a long time, to it.

How does time flow in the forest? If there is no human to observe time there, how do the trees grow, the rocks erode? How do the creatures live and die? Maybe time only has meaning when observed? Depending on what is observing, it could be different.

We judge time based on how the sun moves through the sky and we call this a day. If you are inside most of the day, you don't really see the sun. The next time you get out to see it, it seems to have moved a lot. If you ever sat outside and just did nothing but observe the sun, your day would get a lot longer.

For people living a simple agrarian life, without ever even seeing or using a clock, perhaps their perception of what a day is is longer than for a person living a busy city life.

A lot could happen in a day, depending on who is observing this day.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by jessieg

"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour."

Ladies and Gentlemen i give you Mr William Blake.

Jessieg you are talking about perspective me thinks. Its all relative is it not?

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I never got how the bible states we started of with 2 people then today we have hit the 6 billion mark back in the early days there must of been inbreading then then bible says the great flood wiped every one off and we started agian with one family :/ it's confusing unless Adam is one tribe then eve is another tribe :/ still puzzled lol

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
As a person living in an orthodox Christian country, with a strong religious presence I have to say that I have never heard about the 6000 year old earth mentioned anywhere here.My mom is very educated woman and also a devout christian, she regularly goes to church and reads theological books, and very gladly talks about her faith and spirituality and not once I have heard this kind of nonsense.I don't now which branch of Christianity holds that believe but you can't put all of them together.If you try to look beyond your prejudice there is a lot of depth to the Christian teaching, and certain philosophical ideas that very few people can understand.Again I am talking about orthodox Christianity.Yes some people are border line retarded and fanatical, they don't want to try to think for themselves, they need values and believes handed to them on a plate so they don't strain their fragile little brains too much.And they will defend them at all costs because belonging to a flock and conforming is a lot easier than taking up the gruesome journey of self discovery and learning the truth yourself.Again, you shouldn't put all Christians together and make fun of them for the stupidity of a few.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Talk about a diffrent perspective. Im glad I forced myself to watch that entire video. I would never have thought that young earth was plausible. He lays out some very critical evidence. Not any of the satan hid fossil stuff generaly associated with this topic. He uses real deduction, math and science. I just look past some of his religous analogies (not my cup of tea currently).

Im just frustrated now because I have to do some rexaming of my stance on a few things. I hate change. I dont know if I should curse you or thank you.

Anyone interested in the video I recomend skipping to the second half where he is at a diffrent location if you want to here his more crutial talking points. Although the first half has some good ones.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by CitizenJack

I enjoyed watching Hovind, always thought he was a good speaker. Since your going to do some research due to hearing his talking points, might I suggest looking here.

www.talkorigins.org...

Hovind really isn't as bright and informed as he presents himself.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

"Although there are scientific reasons for accepting a young earth, I am a young age creationist because that is my understanding of the Scripture. As I shared with my professors years ago when I was in college, if all the evidence in the universe turns against creationism, I would be the first to admit it, but I would still be a creationist because that is what the Word of God seems to indicate." - Kurt Wise, Harvard geologist

en.wikipedia.org...

Need any more be said? You can slam their faces into a brick wall of evidence and they will either destroy themselves out of despair or simply ignore everything you show them.

The simple truth of the matter is, people believe what they want to believe. They don't want to know what's real, they want to be able to sleep at night. All that's desired is a good story, not a true one. We've lived with lies for so long that we're in the market for the best and most self-serving lies of all. If you can't get the truth, at least make the lies worthwhile.

That's the mentality I see these days.
edit on 17-11-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Theres proof of civilization existing longer than 6000 years. And what about dinosaurs?

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by HumanitiesLastHope

Great video.

Many things that I was not aware of or just didn't think about.
I started watching one of his debates as well, this guy really can make his point.
Thanks for sharing,
Quad

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

How about 7 days of Brahma?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join