It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Old is Earth? 6,000 Yrs or 6 Billion Yrs...Or?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
A question for the believers out there.
How long did Adam stay in the Garden before he took a bite of the forbidden fruit?
Technically he should not have started aging until taking that bite.
Once expelled from the garden he started aging and having children.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
The earth cannot be created in 6 days, however it depends on how you perceive our reality....

What if we are living in a computer simulation?

Then it becomes possible.

www.simulation-argument.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
They insist it is 6000 years old because to admit that they're radically wrong means that their entire indoctrination falls apart too.

They will continue to reject science in the face of facts no matter what. That's what belief is all about.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by 11I11

The earth cannot be created in 6 days, however it depends on how you perceive our reality....

What if we are living in a computer simulation?

Then it becomes possible.

So you're suggesting that "God" is nothing more than a higher dimensional hacker?

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

...Why is it that so many Christians insist that the Earth is only 6,000 yrs old in real time?

edit on 16-11-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

Because the religion tells them so. It really is that simple.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Look to the stars. If this whole universe was created within 6 days like literalists believe, what happens when we see the light of a supernova millions upon millions of light years away from us. Sure, god could have put the light of the stars already in its path, but a supernova? If he did that, that means he created stars that were already in an exploded state.

But, to even counter that argument, we can see supernovae happen. We can see the "normal" light of the star, then see the supernova occur. This means that after that star exploded, it took millions of years for that visual to reach us at the speed of light.

Next, there are galaxies colliding into each other. How long would it take for one galaxy to reach another for this to happen? Did god create them colliding into each other? Why would he do that?
edit on 17-11-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman
Look to the stars. If this whole universe was created within 6 days like literalists believe, what happens when we see the light of a supernova millions upon millions of light years away from us. Sure, god could have put the light of the stars already in its path, but a supernova? If he did that, that means he created stars that were already in an exploded state.

But, to even counter that argument, we can see supernovae happen. We can see the "normal" light of the star, then see the supernova occur. This means that after that star exploded, it took millions of years for that visual to reach us at the speed of light.

Next, there are galaxies colliding into each other. How long would it take for one galaxy to reach another for this to happen? Did god created them colliding into each other? Why would he do that?

Reasoning does not phase believe

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I am torn about the Bible in general, and whether what it contains is really the word of God, or even divinely inspired. It is possible that the creation story was completely written on the part of man, and even some Christians maintain this as fact, although we can never know. I accept this is possible, but I also accept that it could be divinely inspired writing, because it is quite possible that the discrepencies presented between science and the Bible were intentionally placed as a test of faith. God wants to know whether you will accept His word despite evidence to the contrary.

But in reality, the creation story, even if inspired by God, is by no means understandable by us. For if it came from God, then for humans to understand it, we must possess the same knowledge as God. Sort of like how people claim that God would never let certain things happen, as the truth is that these people do not possess the same knowledge as God, therefore they have no clue what infinite wisdom will bring about in any situation. What seems just at one time may be something completely different from God's perspective.

And even if divinely inspired writing makes up Genesis, the words may not have directly come from God, rather He sort of inspired the writer to present certain information. What I mean is that God could have just wanted the writer to let his audience know that God was the ultimate creator. If that is the case, it served its purpose. Saying exactly how old the universe was to the ancients would not have only been unnecessary, but completely confusing. I am not positive where I stand on the religious spectrum, but I believe in God, and I am not conceited enough to think that I know what infinite wisdom would do in any situation, therefore I do not question God.

As for the Christians who believe the earth is only thousands of years old, they are simply misunderstanding scripture in my opinion. I think that the creation story was not meant in a literal sense, and people who wish to say it is wrong will interpret it in whatever sense enhances their argument.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by JiggyPotamus
...but I also accept that it could be divinely inspired writing, because it is quite possible that the discrepencies presented between science and the Bible were intentionally placed as a test of faith. God wants to know whether you will accept His word despite evidence to the contrary.
Why? Why is he so hung up on testing people's faith? Doesn't he know everything already? Doesn't he already know what we'll do? And, why is it important for us to be tested?

But in reality, the creation story, even if inspired by God, is by no means understandable by us. For if it came from God, then for humans to understand it, we must possess the same knowledge as God.
Yet, if this god were a good teacher, he would be able to convey his message in a clear and concise manner so that even we idiots could understand it. It's so easy, even a caveman could do it type of thing.

I am not positive where I stand on the religious spectrum, but I believe in God, and I am not conceited enough to think that I know what infinite wisdom would do in any situation, therefore I do not question God.
What does it hurt to ask questions? Don't be afraid. This is how we learn.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
An interesting article:

www.chabad.org...

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

The answer is how long people lived starting from Adam... to Jesus, and then add 2,000 years. There is a little more to it than that, but that is the easiest way to explain it. I don't subscribe to this theory, but I do understand it quite well from being raised in church.

edit on 17-11-2012 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Here's another interesting article showing scientific explanations for a young earth.

www.answersingenesis.org...

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealTruthIsObvious
Here's another interesting article showing scientific explanations for a young earth.

www.answersingenesis.org...

Yep, no bias on that site.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
How about this paper?

www.earthage.org...

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

How about this paper?

www.earthage.org...
Here's a site that might help.

wiki.ironchariots.org...

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
It’s more likely the earth is 6 billion years old. The creative days mentioned in Genesis have to be epochs of varying lengths of time.

The only way Genesis makes any sense, starting at Genesis 1:2, is that you assume earth is a highly pressurized gas planet. That is the most common state of the planets in the solar system. This includes Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune. Sunlight is not able to penetrate to the surface of these planets because of the thick atmosphere. As the carbon particulate gradually fell to the earth’s surface, in the first creative day, a subtle sense of sunlight penetrated the atmosphere but the actual sun could not be seen from the ground. The shape of the sun and moon could not be identified from the surface of the earth until the end of the fourth creative period because it took a while for the sun blocking elements to settle.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I think the aging methods that get used lots are just a little bit f***ked. The recent thread for example about 500,000 year old spear tips, like how the hell can you accurately age a rock from the chips in it? You would be aging the rock itself, so no surpise its half a million years old. Same as painting in caves, you are aging the materials used to paint, not the end result art itself.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
It's pretty hard to deny the science that is brought up in the article. Of course if you have a closed mind and refuse to read it you will stay with your false belief system. The truth of people who deny God is that they are selfish and want to do things without consequences. They want to abort babies, live with someone without being married, etc. They are children without rules. Just one fact in that paper shows that evolution is wrong and the writer gave you over 20. Scientific proof that maybe evolution is incorrect. You are too stuck in your beliefs to bother to read it because it goes against what you believe and you just might have to be responsible for your actions and thoughts. The devil makes up false science to deceive men and turn them from God. The truth is right in front of you and you refuse to listen. We have all heard your side. It's just plain wrong.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by P-M-H
I think the aging methods that get used lots are just a little bit f***ked. The recent thread for example about 500,000 year old spear tips, like how the hell can you accurately age a rock from the chips in it? You would be aging the rock itself, so no surpise its half a million years old. Same as painting in caves, you are aging the materials used to paint, not the end result art itself.
So what you're saying is that you have more knowledge on how to date things than the people who carry out these experiments?

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

It's pretty hard to deny the science that is brought up in the article.
Have you looked at the counterarguments?

Of course if you have a closed mind and refuse to read it you will stay with your false belief system. The truth of people who deny God is that they are selfish and want to do things without consequences.
What do you mean? There ARE consequences of my actions and it makes me a responsible person. You do good things because you are afraid of your god, without him you'd be a murderer, thief, pedophile, etc. Oh wait, you wouldn't be? Then why do you need your god?

I do good things because it's good to do, not because I'm afraid I might get burned forever if I don't.

They want to abort babies, live with someone without being married, etc. They are children without rules.
There are rules, and laws. I'm sure you obey them as well, or you'd reap the consequences.

Just one fact in that paper shows that evolution is wrong and the writer gave you over 20. Scientific proof that maybe evolution is incorrect. You are too stuck in your beliefs to bother to read it because it goes against what you believe and you just might have to be responsible for your actions and thoughts. The devil makes up false science to deceive men and turn them from God. The truth is right in front of you and you refuse to listen. We have all heard your side. It's just plain wrong.
Did the devil also make up the science that brought you medicine? Computers? Etc.? A lot of that was done by evolutionary scientists. Maybe instead of visiting a doctor next time, just believe your god will heal you....you know, like those parents who allowed their diabetic daughter to die because they believed their god would heal her, instead of taking her to the hospital and getting treatment. Very sad.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join