How Old is Earth? 6,000 Yrs or 6 Billion Yrs...Or?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleByLittle

I don't know. I'm not into yoga. I couldn't clear my mind of thought if I wanted too...I tried it
once--made it about six seconds before the circus kicked--Why am I trying to think of nothing...What is nothing? Nothing is nothing....shut up....I didn't say anything...Yes you did, you keep thinking of nothing. Okay, I'll hush....Good......~Flintstones, meet the Flintstones...SHUT UP!...Sorry....nothing nothing nothing......SHUT UP!....sorry again......I don't like bananas...SHUT UP.!.....is it because they're phallic shaped?......HUSH!....Are we homophobic? OH JUST FORGET IT

Here's the new Carl Sagan back on topic....three and half interesting minutes

edit on 16-11-2012 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246

Originally posted by Quadrivium

Originally posted by yourmaker

Originally posted by Awen24
I've been both a Christian, and a Creationist, for over 25 years, and never in my life have I heard anybody say that fossils are put there to "test our faith".

I'm starting to think this is a line Christians use when the heat is felt...

Growing up that's all every Christian ever talked about when dinosaurs were in the same sentence.
No dinosaurs, fossils are placed by Satan as a way of testing your faith.

25 years and you've never heard it? I'm 22 and I heard it FOR YEARS.

I am 39, have lived in the bible belt all my life and not heard it put that way. I have heard that there are things we are not meant to understand yet, or that dinosaurs were destroyed in the flood.

On another note, I stated earlier that many people get the 6 thousand years by adding up the genealogies in the bible, not from the six days of creation.
I am not sure how old the earth is but I am pretty sure it is much older than 6k years.
The bible gives a clear outline of events and even coincides with biology.

Dino's where only still possible while there was a water canopy. That increased something like the air pressure or something like that. Allowing bigger animals to walk and also explains why men lived like close to a 1000 years old. After noah the water canopy came down. That also got rid of the dino's. The dino's are talked about in the bible as well btw. simple google search will find you that.

1. Are you saying that Noah and the Dinosaurs co-existed?

2. If your theory of the water canopy is correct, would we not have also been taller as humans? It's been proven that we were actually shorter in our beginnings.

Peace

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Hi Jude

As I'm sure you are aware:

The WORD Dinosaur (Dinosauria - "Terrible" & "Lizard") did not exist before 1842 and the term was coined by comparative anatomist Richard Owen.

Richard Owen

So I think Mr r2d246 is actually saying that prior to 1842, when fossils were discovered, guess what they were called...........Dragons!

Now, where else have I heard that ol' Dragon name before?............Hmmm

Also - the story of St George slaying the Dragon lends a bit of credence to this hypothesis - even though researchers say that the Dragon was actually a Komodo Dragon (due to it apparent size of about 4 meters in length if I recall correctly)

From this post 27/09/12 in Mr r2d246's thread about the same topic
edit on 16-11-2012 by Sublimecraft because: added Wiki link

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Originally posted by jude11
I don't know if this is the right forum but...

I am not a Christian but am asking this question out of curiosity and not rudeness.

My question is this...If it is generally accepted that the "7 Days" of which the Earth and everything else was created is most likely Millions of years (or Billions) that make up a day...

The majority of Christians (including many Christian leaders) in the Western world, however, do not insist that these days of creation were ordinary-length days, and many of them accept and teach, based on outside influences, that they must have been long periods of time—even millions or billions of years. www.answersingenesis.org...

...Why is it that so many Christians insist that the Earth is only 6,000 yrs old in real time? Even to accuse science of fabricating anything older than that such as fossils, tools, monuments, entire villages, cities etc.

If we were to use the first 7 day formula to state the age of the Earth, we would be at 6 million years of age. (giving one day of rest) If we used the Billions, we are at 6 Billion yrs old. Close enough to be correct since the Earth is estimated to be about 4.5 Billion yrs old...so far.

Not all Christians but many have stated this as fact. So why one way of interpreting time for one thing and yet another way to interpret another?

Or am I missing something here? I am in no way schooled on this subject but the question is valid...IMO.

Peace

edit on 16-11-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

Thats A great question and I say you"ll find your answer in this video. Now before anyone complains its too long, well isn't getting one step closer to the truth worth it? and wouldn't you watch a movie of the same length? and if its too long just break it up and watch parts.

Anyways enjoy the vid, It is from a christian perspective but that shouldn't bother you since its exactly about what your asking.

Now I'm not trying to force you to believe anything or become a christian but this guy does use REAL SCIENCE FACTS and EVIDENCE to back all of his claims which I found really intriguing.

This vid is definitely for anyone who wants to debate or discover the true age of earth

Enjoy, and let me know what you think after you see it all.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublimecraft
reply to post by jude11

But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 2 Peter 3:8

So on that basis the creation could be interpreted as taking 7000 years - not 7 days.

Then you have all those individuals like Adam and Seth and Enoch who lived for about 900+ years.

Then you have Cain freaking out after he killed Abel and insisting he be marked so that he would not be killed by the "others" - Hmmm, who were these others then and when were they created?

Then Cain marries - where did she come from?

And I could go on and on about biblical accounts which can verify the earth being inhabited for a very long time.

What I'm getting at is that to me, it is evident that the bible is a geneological record focusing on 2 individuals and running from there - look at the first book of the new testament - why do they need to prove Jesus's and Marys bloodline all the way back to Adam and Eve?

I'm a Christian, a catholic.

The earth is ALOT older than 6000 years.

Or is Slayer pulling my leg with this latest post yesterday about the 500,000 year-old spear tips - I think not.

edit on 16-11-2012 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

Refreshing to see some sense injected into the argument by a Christian. As a Christian myself, I've actually been told I am being deceived and that my faith is "luke warm" because I don't believe in young earth creationism. It's a ridiculously divisive issue among Christians themselves, with some of us who possess more open minds being regarded as inherently damned.

All I can say is this: How is it that I should not use the tools God blessed me with (i.e reason and logic, science, etc)? Should I abandon them all because a narrow minded interpretation of Genesis was at one point the accepted paradigm?

Did God send Galileo to hell to dwell for centuries until the catholic church absolved him of his "sin"?

I suggest the atheists and creationists both have much to learn

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
The Bible has been watered down in truth over the ages due to poor translation and chinese whispers.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Why anyone chooses to be brainwashed by religion is beyond me and how old the Earth is doesn't mean squat. Fact is we are simply not every going to know the truth so why does any religion factor into it. We exist. We have a higher power that we came from, semantics whatever you want to call it. 20 different religions, 20 different calendars 20 different versions of the Bible.....none of it matters. Live your life each day the best you can, love your fellow souls with all your heart....trust that deep inside you know the only truth you need to know.

Take care and much love to all.

Ascension211

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I'm an old earth fella myself. Couldn't ever understand why people were so stuck on the 6,000 year date. Religion should embrace Science, not hate it.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Wow some of these claims from creationist are so shocking to me, they really must
not actually read deeply into the evidence that exists, here is one thing many have
not pointed out yet, the bible is not the oldest book of religion we know to exist........

That right there debunks almost all of their claims, not to mention science all around
agrees that they are just flat out wrong about a 6000 year old planet or universe, the
facts exist, you cannot force people to study and eventually come to understand these
things, they are happy with a simple, well god did it, where as science constantly seeks
truth, we see this time and again in history, any science that challenges religious beliefs
is attacked by religion, the scientist are called liars, satanic etc, etc, etc.

Then when every single avenue of argument has been exhausted and things are
so cut and dry that they seem like lunatics to disagree, we finally see religion
caving into actual facts that can be proven, my favorite are all the religious arguments
that were made for a flat earth, research those and you see this ironic parallel, just
as if you research religions stance against equal rights with African Americans or
equal rights as pertaining to women, they did the exact same thing lol

They make claims that are obviously false and defend them as evidence of something
that has to be proven before we can even accept the possibility of what they say,
before you can accept the creation idea for the planet you must prove god exists.......

I want to address something that i keep seeing people say, there is NO evidence
for a young earth, none at all, scientist have examined, in detail, many many times
the "evidence" that young earth believers offer but it is not valid..... this is the key
problem, they claim equal footing while in reality they are making an unsubstantiated
claim..... it IS NOT the same. to have evidence you must be able to provide it to
other people, time and again their "evidence" has been shown to be simple conjecture
using scripture as the basis for their "evidence". that's tantamount to me using
harry potter books to prove magic is real........ IF they did have evidence to prove
what they claimed the majority of scientist would be young earth believers as well.

This is not science vs religion, its actually religion vs truth....... science has proven
time and again that it is the single most successful way we have ever used to
interpret reality, religion has proven time and again their claims are just wrong or
flat out lies........ who would you trust? those who claim truth but cannot show it to you
or those who claim truth and offer openly to teach you why and how they came about
said truth. Religion offers no explanation other than god did it..... to believe it you must
have faith, all faith actually can be used for is to accept an idea with no evidence to
back it up. faith is NOT a good thing, it is gullibility.
edit on 17-11-2012 by bloodreviara because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

S&F

I also wonder from time to time, the true age of the Universe, and Earth.

Great question to be asked.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
You're never going to get one answer. As evidenced by the replies, the scientific minds will tell you billions of years, the religious will tell you thousands. Both will have evidence their theory is The One Truth.
I'm on the scientific side, so I vote billions.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

The very real fact that some people actually do believe that the Earth is less than 6000 years old shows us just how deep a person can sink into a sea of ILLOGICAL IGNORANCE when RELIGION is involved. These people KNOW deep inside that these beliefs are RIDICULOUS NONSENSE without a SHRED of SCIENTIFIC PROOF...still no matter what FACTS might be shown or explained to them...they will turn away their Heads...Close their EYES...put their Fingers in their EARS...and place a Hand over their Mouths just in case their Subconscious...which is SCREAMING TO THEM...THINK AND LOOK AT THE EVIDENCE!...may Force them by REFLEX to speak what they know to be Fact.

At least these people have a Conscience as some COMPLETELY IGNORANT to the Facts as well as Spreaders of STUPIDITY and FALSEHOODS...are perfectly comfortable telling their Children or even perhaps STUDENTS...If you believe these GODLESS SCIENTISTS AND ALL THEIR PROVEN FACTS YOU ARE GOING TO HELL!

I was once on the receiving end of such a statement by a Female Teacher in a Public School when I was a KID! I had brought in a BOOK that had Dinosaurs and in this book were the dates and stated Millions of Years back when a Triceratops or a Tyrannosaurus Rex lived and walked the Earth. She chastised me for reading such heresy and told me that the Earth was created in 6 Days after which GOD rested on the 7th as well as the Earth was only 5600 or so Years Old. I asked her...WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT ME? She said...Because you have the DEVIL IN YOUR HANDS!

I could not help myself at such a young age and STARTED TO LAUGH....and laugh...and laugh all the way to the Principles Office. The Female Head of my Elementary School asked me why I was sent there as she had not received a call from my teacher? I replied...because I AM NOT CRAZY! Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by r2d246

Originally posted by Quadrivium

Originally posted by yourmaker

Originally posted by Awen24
I've been both a Christian, and a Creationist, for over 25 years, and never in my life have I heard anybody say that fossils are put there to "test our faith".

I'm starting to think this is a line Christians use when the heat is felt...

Growing up that's all every Christian ever talked about when dinosaurs were in the same sentence.
No dinosaurs, fossils are placed by Satan as a way of testing your faith.

25 years and you've never heard it? I'm 22 and I heard it FOR YEARS.

I am 39, have lived in the bible belt all my life and not heard it put that way. I have heard that there are things we are not meant to understand yet, or that dinosaurs were destroyed in the flood.

On another note, I stated earlier that many people get the 6 thousand years by adding up the genealogies in the bible, not from the six days of creation.
I am not sure how old the earth is but I am pretty sure it is much older than 6k years.
The bible gives a clear outline of events and even coincides with biology.

Dino's where only still possible while there was a water canopy. That increased something like the air pressure or something like that. Allowing bigger animals to walk and also explains why men lived like close to a 1000 years old. After noah the water canopy came down. That also got rid of the dino's. The dino's are talked about in the bible as well btw. simple google search will find you that.

1. Are you saying that Noah and the Dinosaurs co-existed?

2. If your theory of the water canopy is correct, would we not have also been taller as humans? It's been proven that we were actually shorter in our beginnings.

Peace

That taller or shorter thing is based on where they found the bones. That's been debunked. Some types of people are shorter. Like asians are typically shorter than europeans. So that doesn't fly.

Yes Noah was the last to run the dino's I believe....

here's some stuff....

Job 40:15–24
"Behold, Behemoth, which I made as I made you; he eats grass like an ox. Behold, his strength in his loins, and his power in the muscles of his belly. He makes his tail stiff like a cedar; the sinews of his thighs are knit together. His bones are tubes of bronze, his limbs like bars of iron.

"He is the first of the works of God; let him who made him bring near his sword! For the mountains yield food for him where all the wild beasts play. Under the lotus plants he lies, in the shelter of the reeds and in the marsh. For his shade the lotus trees cover him; the willows of the brook surround him. Behold, if the river is turbulent he is not frightened; he is confident though Jordan rushes against his mouth. Can one take him by his eyes, or pierce his nose with a snare?" (ESV)

From this description of the Behemoth, it seems possible that the book of Job was describing a giant, vegetation-eating sauropod. that's just one of many verses regarding dinos

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
You are trying to use logic,

On a illogical question.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

depends on who/what you want to believe. I trust geology rather than religion.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Sounds like he was talking about an ELEPHANT. Dinosaurs were last around 65 Million Years Ago. Humans or specifically our Ancestors were only around for the past approx. 5 Million Years. Since there were a wide variety of Birds during the time of Noah and there was only a few Long Time Extinct Now...Relatives of Birds which were Dinosaurs with Developing Feathers that existed 65 to 150 Million Years ago...it is safe to say that there WERE NOT ANY DINOSAURS AT THE TIME OF NOAH!

If you really believe this then I can only say that you are assuming this from Religious Text. Split Infinity.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Can i have a macyawn please with some large yawns and a medium yawn to go.
YAWN.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Why does it matter?

YEC's believe earth is 6000 years old from a literal interpretation of Genesis and a straight-forward, no gaps reference to the genealogy of Adam to Jesus.

OEC's believe earth is much older and are more prone to accepting todays modern science but still hold Genesis as an accurate portrayal of creation. Whether "yom" (day) means literal day or something much longer, it doesn't quite matter in the grand scheme of things.

I agree wholeheartedly with Jerry E. White when he said “I do not condemn those who prefer a young-earth interpretation of Genesis, just as I would not condemn those who see an old-earth solution in the data.”
Both YEC's and OEC's consider the Bible the Word of God. Both believe Genesis to be a historical narrative of creation. And both support ex nihilo creation and reject evolution(minus OE theistic evolutionists...). Both these views have valid points and are only searching for understanding of Genesis.

As far as I'm concerned...I couldn't care any less about how old earth really is. It's not like I'm baking a happy 4,540,000,000th birthday cake or anything....

Regards
A2D

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Any one who thinks our Earth is only 6000 years old must have been in the remedial science class at school! LoL
edit on 17-11-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Agree2Disagree

Well it matters very much if you are trying to put together an accurate timeline as far as Geological Events such as getting an accurate plus or minus date when Yellow Stones Super Volcano will erupt again. It is also important from the view of an Archaeologist or a Climatologist or those who study ancient Biology or Tectonic Plate Movements.

The times involved are very important. Split Infinity

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join