It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Old is Earth? 6,000 Yrs or 6 Billion Yrs...Or?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

A DAY IS A DAY...NOT 1000 Years! You are grasping at straws to make sense out of something that makes no sense as it was written several thousand years ago by PRIMITIVE MAN.
Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

he's not saying a day IS a thousand years...he's saying a day IS AS a thousand years TO GOD...its pointing out that God does not have the same reference to time as humans....

A2D

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agree2Disagree

he's not saying a day IS a thousand years...he's saying a day IS AS a thousand years TO GOD...its pointing out that God does not have the same reference to time as humans....

A2D

By that reasoning the Adam and Eve could be 1000 Men and 1000 Women. It is IMPOSSIBLE to populate the Earth with only 2 People one being a Man and another being a Woman. There would not be enough diversity of Genetic Material and their Great Grandchildren would become STERILE due to INBREEDING.

If you start making statements that what is written in the Bible is representative in it's nature then EVERYTHING written in the Bible would also be just as suspect. You cannot have it BOTH WAYS! Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

Originally posted by Agree2Disagree

A2D

By that reasoning the Adam and Eve could be 1000 Men and 1000 Women. It is IMPOSSIBLE to populate the Earth with only 2 People one being a Man and another being a Woman. There would not be enough diversity of Genetic Material and their Great Grandchildren would become STERILE due to INBREEDING.

If you start making statements that what is written in the Bible is representative in it's nature then EVERYTHING written in the Bible would also be just as suspect. You cannot have it BOTH WAYS! Split Infinity

You can't take one metaphorical phrase and apply it to every phrase found in the book. We have brains for a reason. Also, it does NOT state Adam and Eve were the ONLY people created...merely the first two...

A2D

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

A DAY IS A DAY...NOT 1000 Years! You are grasping at straws to make sense out of something that makes no sense as it was written several thousand years ago by PRIMITIVE MAN.
Split Infinity

I'm not grasping at anything. In the scriptures words have allegorical meaning manytimes, and sometimes they are literal. The "1000 years is as a day" is how God sees time, flowing around himself like a river and to him that is literal, in that for him, that while 1000 years passes for us, is only like 1 day to him. So from beginning of creation till now 13 days have passed, the next day sabbath begins. Those "primitive men" were surprisingly insightful because they had God teaching them these things and God's advanced knowledge is documented in the Holy Bible.

For instance, while on Mt. Sinai God related to Moses 3500 years ago the story of Creation and that he made man from the earth. Well, 3500 years ago there was no way to prove this true, and "modern" man thought this story was just some bedouin's bullsh*t campfire story. Man in his own wisdom, chose to ignore God's wisdom. Now here is God's wisdom and knowledge. God told Moses he made man from the earth, and 3500 years later in the 20th century science proved this was true, but it took the invention of the electron microscope and the periodic table of elements to discover a truth that had been around for 3500 years and more. Science is only just beginning to catch up to the biblical scriptures. God told Moses he made man from the earth, and if you break down the human body into it's base components, every element in the human body that makes up a human does indeed come from the earth. From the iron in our blood, to the calcium in our bones, the sodium in our tears and sweat, the water in cells and the many other trace elements our body is comprised of, all found right in the earth.

So while you're mocking those "primitives" know this, they knew what we know now, 3500 years ago.They knew it before we ever were born. Nothing new under the sun, indeed.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Agree2Disagree

Adam and Eve is a nice STORY used as a teaching tool. It is not scientifically possible. If you retort that it is possible because GOD MADE IT SO...you are assuming this to be so. You cannot verify this with any PROOF whatsoever. All you have is some words written by Ancient Man that have been mistranslated so many times that it leaves one to ponder just how accurate is the current version of the Bible?

I have posted about how even the Vatican has admitted that Moses DID NOT PART THE RED SEA. The Vatican has admitted this is a mistranslation and that the Ancient Texts actual translation reads that MOSES CROSSED THE REED SEA...a Marshy Tidal Area that connects the Med. Sea with the Red Sea.

If this story in the Bible which is one of the most celebrated as well as famous is a fallacy then exactly how much other writings of the Ancient Biblical Text are false? Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

You are unclear...what exactly has been proven to be true? Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

ok i really shouldn't get involved in this.. because i'm not a bible thumper and really well.. you know.. but here's the thing with the bible...

god created adam and eve.. they had 2 sons by chapter 3 genesis... if you read the 3rd chapter you will scratch your head and go huh?

13 Cain said to the Lord, “My punishment is more than I can bear. 14 Today you are driving me from the land, and I will be hidden from your presence; I will be a restless wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me.”

15 But the Lord said to him, “Not so[e]; anyone who kills Cain will suffer vengeance seven times over.” Then the Lord put a mark on Cain so that no one who found him would kill him. 16 So Cain went out from the Lord’s presence and lived in the land of Nod,[f] east of Eden.

so there are other people than just adam and eve, cain and able.. cain does not say so that a wild animal will kill him, he is worried another person will kill him.. now who would be this other person to kill Cain? eh? his mother and father... nope. and abel is dead he just killed him so who is left?? THE PEOPLE OF NOD>>. the land of nothing... so in the beginning it wasn't just adam and eve.. see ??

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by gnosticagnostic

The Bible is a bunch of STORIES that have teaching value and it was written thousands of years ago by Ancient Man. The concept of Adam and Eve...while a Good Story used to teach people a lesson...has been proven to be just what it is...a story.

We have mapped the entire Human Genome as well as thousands of other life forms Genome and when all were compared we were able to find a very specific Viral Encoding that all life has. When a Life Form is infected by a Virus the Viral DNA is taken on by the infected Life Form and this Viral DNA is added to the Life Forms Genome.

The presence of the exact same Viral Encoding in all Life Forms is 100% PROOF POSITIVE that ALL LIFE EVOLVED FROM A SINGLE CELLED ORGANISM. There is no possible explanation to this and every Genome that has been mapped HAS THIS VIRAL DNA!

This puts to a rest the concept that Man Evolved from Lower Life Forms...it is a 100% PROVEN FACT. It cannot be denied. Adam and Eve is a nice story but it is NOT REALITY. Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

oh i'm not debating creationism over evolution.. just that the bible story isn't what most people think it is.. lol

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticagnostic

oh i'm not debating creationism over evolution.. just that the bible story isn't what most people think it is.. lol

What do you believe it is? I personally KNOW that the Bible was a Book written as a way to guide Mankind into an age of enlightenment and this Book attempted and succeeded to a point...to show People a way to rise above their ANIMAL INSTINCTS.

Still the Old Testament is nothing like the New Testament. Thus one has to ask why there is such a conflict of thought, reward and punishment between the two. The answer is that Jesus saw that people were ready to raise the bar and thus the New Testament taught LOVE, COMPASSION and FORGIVENESS....where as the Old Testament taught FIRE AND BRIMSTONE, ABSOLUTE AUTHORITY OF GOD and A STICK AND REWARD CONCEPT to govern Human Behavior.

This switch in idealism is suspect to the veracity that Jesus was the Son of GOD as well as to the veracity that the Old Testament was written by GOD. I am very sure that if there is a GOD that it is NOTHING that People can either understand, relate to or conceptualize.

The EGO OF MAN allowed him to write that MAN WAS CREATED IN GODS IMAGE. This is the very TOP HEIGHT of the CONCEIT OF MAN. A GOD would not have Sexuality. A GOD would not need so confining a Form. A GOD which would be the creator of the Multiverse...would have an INFINITE NUMBER of Life Forms in that Multiverse to create in that GODS IMAGE. Why would a GOD pick MAN to be the Life Form to have his image. Why do people call GOD HE?

Since Man is OBVIOUSLY an EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENT over EONS of time and Mans body is specific to survive on Earth and in Earths Biosphere...there is absolutely NO LOGIC that any GOD would first have a PRIMATES BODY and be a MAMMAL.

These are the definitive PROOFS that shows us that the Bible was written by MAN. Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticagnostic

What do you believe it is? I personally KNOW that the Bible was a Book written as a way to guide Mankind into an age of enlightenment and this Book attempted and succeeded to a point...to show People a way to rise above their ANIMAL INSTINCTS.

Still the Old Testament is nothing like the New Testament. Thus one has to ask why there is such a conflict of thought, reward and punishment between the two. The answer is that Jesus saw that people were ready to raise the bar and thus the New Testament taught LOVE, COMPASSION and FORGIVENESS....where as the Old Testament taught FIRE AND BRIMSTONE, ABSOLUTE AUTHORITY OF GOD and A STICK AND REWARD CONCEPT to govern Human Behavior.

This switch in idealism is suspect to the veracity that Jesus was the Son of GOD as well as to the veracity that the Old Testament was written by GOD. I am very sure that if there is a GOD that it is NOTHING that People can either understand, relate to or conceptualize.

The EGO OF MAN allowed him to write that MAN WAS CREATED IN GODS IMAGE. This is the very TOP HEIGHT of the CONCEIT OF MAN. A GOD would not have Sexuality. A GOD would not need so confining a Form. A GOD which would be the creator of the Multiverse...would have an INFINITE NUMBER of Life Forms in that Multiverse to create in that GODS IMAGE. Why would a GOD pick MAN to be the Life Form to have his image. Why do people call GOD HE?

Since Man is OBVIOUSLY an EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENT over EONS of time and Mans body is specific to survive on Earth and in Earths Biosphere...there is absolutely NO LOGIC that any GOD would first have a PRIMATES BODY and be a MAMMAL.

These are the definitive PROOFS that shows us that the Bible was written by MAN. Split Infinity

I am not very passionate about this subject.. if your asking me personally, whether or not I believe in the bible.. then my answer is no.. have I studied the bible??.. yes..( also the torah, tao, iching, wiccan, etc.. etc..) do i claim to know who/what a god is and isn't.. nope.. but that didn't stop you from defining your version right? and as long as your good with it.. so am I. ,

ps. on a side note i do think the bible has alot of historical reference.. and alot of stories are not original to the bible.. many cultures have the world creationism story.. even the sumerians who also have a world wide flood event.. so perhaps oral story telling isn't a bad thing... we can learn alot about what people thousands of years ago did and thought.
edit on 18-11-2012 by gnosticagnostic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Thank You for your Civil Reply. It was MOST REFRESHING. I think that there should be much more people such as yourself who have the intelligence to seek out wisdom in many ways and many teachings. Unfortunately some people will not even allow themselves to even THINK that there could be something else...something different than what they have either been taught or believe. I believe this is TRAGIC.

Science has a very good grasp on how old the Earth is and we have the means to test our estimates. We are able to even estimate to a close degree the age of the Universe as we can see 13.4 Billion Light Years Distant thus we are looking 14.3 Billion Years into the past where we encounter the WMAP a wall of Background Microwave Radiation that is just 379,000 Light Years away from the Big Bang. Thus the approx. age of our Universe is 14.3379 Billion Years Old. The Earth is 4.54 Billion Years Old with a Plus or Minus of less than 1% older or younger. We are that accomplished in estimating the Earths Age.

As People have found it difficult given Mans expertise in Science to keep true to the impossibility of a GOD creating Earth in 6 Days...they have switched from trying to justify this ridiculous amount of time to stating...without any proof...that 1 DAY for GOD = 1000 Years. Still...6000 Years is still a RIDICULOUSLY SMALL AMOUNT OF TIME and we can and have identified Mammoths frozen in Arctic Ice at an age dated by Carbon 14 at 37,500 Years old Plus or Minus 500 years. Carbon 14 Decay is Governed by the PHYSICAL LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE and cannot be disputed. Thus we have 100% been able to disprove the idea that Earth is only 6000 years old as it is written so approx. in the Bible.

I believe if people wish to be Closer to GOD then they must first throw away their FEAR of any reality that may question a RELIGION as I see a VERY BIG DIFFERENCE between Religious Belief and belief in GOD or SPIRITUALITY. I believe YOU are Spiritual...so am I. Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

You're welcome.. I do try not to pounce on anyone's personal beliefs however, I cannot say that I have always been successful lol
, relevant to your post.. you know that time slows and becomes a different rate at various places in the universe.. say a black hole for example. time is the 4th dimension that we have yet to really nail down. So is it possible that to someone's god a year is a thousand years.. or was at some time before the universe started it's crazy expansion rate.. I'm not going to say no.. that's not true when i don't know for certain that is the case if god(s) do exist at all. We still haven't figured out what dark matter is and how it relates to time either.. perhaps in certain area's time even goes in a "backward" motion as IN a black hole.. there are many many unsolved questions when it come to "time:" and how it relates in the universe as a whole.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
If we can invent faster than light speed ships, we would be able to send a probe out and take pictures of the earth in the past... but even then i think there would still be people who couldn't believe their eye. People will believe what they want, reality is irreverent.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

I am very versed in this subject. Time is Relative. In an experiment to Atomic Clocks in sync were used as one was placed in the Space Shuttle which Orbited the Earth and another was left on the ground. After 10 days and after the shuttle landed the two clocks were compared.

The Clock in the Shuttle was behind in Time to a small degree. The Clock on Earth had more time passed and was ahead in time. The Astronauts had TRAVELED A SMALL AMOUNT FORWARD IN TIME thus it was PROVEN FORWARD TIME TRAVEL IS POSSIBLE! This is TIME DILATION and was postulated by Einstein. The Faster and Further one travels away from a Gravity Well the Greater the amount of Time that will pass for them as if you were to Travel at 75% of the Speed of Light at 75% of 186,300 Miles Per Second for the person traveling in space a week would pass but on Earth many YEARS WOULD PASS.

Still this is Science and the Bible is not. The Bibles documentation of 6 Days is what it appears to be...the writings of PRIMITIVE MAN. I have nothing against the New Testament as it is a teaching tool that speaks of Love and Forgiveness. The Old Testament is SILLY! It is a Hard Core Line in the Sand to help stop the Killing and Animalistic behavior of our Ancient Ancestors. It has no place in the World of Today. Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

that may be but it is the old covenant and relevant to many people.. so i'm not going to say ixnay on the old testament.. has it got some crazy idea's??.. hell yes but hey nephilim and goat offerings aside it is what it is.. an historical record. That being said.. many old folks in the bible lived what seems to be a really hell of a long life.. Noah aged 950 years, abraham was 175.. now how is this possible? not in today's timeline.. was it possible then? Was time slower at some point depending on our position in a "smaller" universe and we can see man from a historical standpoint fading in longevity of life? or did people have a different perception of time?

That being said Time dilation is an interesting theory and it may be that when our solar system was forming it was/could have been in a different "time" rate.. all things are possible as we have yet to really understand how it's all worked in the "timing" of things.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Space and Time are intrinsically related thus we say Space/Time. Space/Time is a Geometric assignment upon how matter and energy are effected by this Geometry as well as how any quantity of Mass is capable of Creating Gravity which is a One Dimensional Expression of the Geometry of Space/Time.

As far as the Old Testaments writings of how certain people lived ridiculously long...this is just a Tall Tale written by Ancient Man. To say it is an aspect of any aspect of Time Being Relative...makes no sense as these things are stated to have occurred on Earth where Time behaved Then as it does Now. Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

yes but space/time can be warped... at least according to hawking..

www.hawking.org.uk...

and with that i'm off to lala land.. hope you have a good night

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

This Warping is an Expression of One Dimensionality. Split Infinity

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join