It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Democrats cater to Felons

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

I'm just curious....but where did anyone say anything about restoration of voting rights having something to do with getting them to vote GOP? I'd think criminals are about sick of any form of Law and Order types and I dare say that while many in Social Services are Democrat by nature, prison guards are likely not the most bleeding heart types one would find. Your logic is what I'm not getting here.....?

I didn't take that from the thread either, although the title would lead people to believe that is the agenda.

"Why Democrats cater to Felons."

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Ex-convicts are only prohibited from voting in 4 states.- FL. IW, KY, VA
7 more only disallow voting for certain felons. www.aclu.org...
Once people have served their time they don't cease being citizens.
Do we not want them to reintegrate with society? (remember half of them were in prison over drug laws)
This is one more Republican scare tactic to divert attention from the real dangers of vote manipulation by electronic means.
edit on 12-11-2012 by Asktheanimals because: added link

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Do we not want them to reintegrate with society? (remember half of them were in prison over drug laws)
This is one more Republican scare tactic to divert attention from the real dangers of vote manipulation by electronic means.

Really? Hmmmm, my friend in Arizona is prohibited from voting, and having fire arms, but we live in Arizona....sheriff Joe and all.

My friend served his time for peeing in public, and the system uses him here to counsel sex offenders, of which he was convicted of..........

Needless to say, I have odd characters showing up all the time looking for my friend, at my door. All he did was pee in public.

I'll have to look into this because while he thinks he could not vote in the last election, we had very heated debates about it.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Why shouldn't felons be allowed to vote?,if they were convicted and served their sentence they already paid for their mistake.

Some people think that when a person makes a serious mistake they should have to keep paying for it for the rest of their lives,maybe you should consider how easily one can become a felon,you really don't have to make a very bad mistake at all considering the seriousness of the charge/conviction.

One of the most grave mistakes one can make,is to be poor abd be charged with a felony,whether the crime was committed or not,there will still be a felony conviction if that person cannot afford adequate representation.

I am not a felon,but have been in a few binds in the past.One time my lawyer asked if I wanted to take it as far as a trial,I said "No, because the majority of people are so ignorant,I don't feel comfortable putting my life,liberties and freedom in their hands",shortly after that I told her that the only guarantee I was getting from her,was that she would take my money from me for representing me,and thats the only guarantee.

She promptly refused to represent me and kept my money.

I wouldn't trust anyone who believes there is anyone who possesses any type of real honor in the legal system, courts,government,military.

Nobody in this country really has any idea about honor or dishonor.

And that is why it is such a confounded,convoluted and chaotic mess.

Leave the felons alone,let em recover from,and maybe learn from their errors,and present their unique perspective in our country's development.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

I'm just curious....but where did anyone say anything about restoration of voting rights having something to do with getting them to vote GOP? I'd think criminals are about sick of any form of Law and Order types and I dare say that while many in Social Services are Democrat by nature, prison guards are likely not the most bleeding heart types one would find. Your logic is what I'm not getting here.....?

Well who else would be taking a stance against them? The title of the thread lays out the agenda of the OP. It won't be the Democrats moaning about it. So that leaves out the far left parties which will tend to agree with the Democrats about it. You can't be for the hardline on this issue and truthfully call yourself a Libertarian, as it is against the very idea. So that leaves the GOP and their backwards social order.

You either believe in rehabilitation or you don't. If rehabilitation is the goal then we have to stop throwing up blockades to the process. If you find someone that can't be rehabilitated then they shouldn't be let out of prison. We do have to face the fact that there are some people that you will never be able to help. I do not have an issue with inmates being barred from voting as part of their stay on the taxpayers dime. However once you let them out there is just simply no logical reason to bar them from it. The only thing that does is further push them out of the societal norm. You can't just say well we expect you to be good boys and girls now, only to background check them into an economic prison where they are the new slave class and then keep them from being part of the democratic process by barring them from voting. You will just encourage them to improve their economic outlook by returning to a life of crime, oftentimes with more criminal knowledge than they had the first go around.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

You can't be for the hardline on this issue and truthfully call yourself a Libertarian, as it is against the very idea. So that leaves the GOP and their backwards social order.

That's just it.. I call myself a Republican because my state really appreciates you picking something to register and I have far more in common with them as a conservative. However, while I'm socially liberal on some things (Abortion, for instance, shouldn't be banned entirely, that's coat hanger territory again) I'm as hard core on law and order as it comes. The executions of the 1800's for thievery and other "common" crimes were a bit overkill but only by a bit. Pigeon holing people into ideology is one of the largest mistakes I see online.

In this case, I am 100% FOR Rehabilitation...................for non violent and/or non-predatory offenders. If you've willingly hurt someone to commit a crime, maybe Rehab isn't the best approach. That person has already crossed the BIGGEST line to being a predatory threat to society that most people never do. Going there a second time is all the easier and likely, as stats show.

I have a question on this I never see asked much. For those who are for totally unrestricted voting rights restored to felons, how many TIMES should that be done? Or...can they be in and out of prisons their whole lives and still vote on the days they aren't actually doing time on election day? I can see a debate for restoration of voting once perhaps.....but just restoring it over and over? The logic of criminals likely to vote against the best interests of the non-criminal population comes in real quick if we're talking about being as open to career predators and one time "oops" type crimes, IMO.
edit on 12-11-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Thanks for the information. This means that most felons are already allowed to vote, which makes the call for letting more of them vote even more...questionable.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by MyHappyDogShiner
Why shouldn't felons be allowed to vote?,if they were convicted and served their sentence they already paid for their mistake.

What I have in mind is more the rape and murder types, not the drug-offenders. And the reason I dont think they should vote for a decade or so is because they do not behave in the best interests of society. If they dont have societies best interests in mind, they shouldnt participate in it.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by KeliOnyx
So that leaves the GOP and their backwards social order.

Is rewarding murderers with voting privileges a "progressive social order" in your opinion?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Its not so much a scare tactic as a protest against democrats attitude toward convicts. If I were a politician Id be ashamed of advertising for their vote.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

I have a question on this I never see asked much. For those who are for totally unrestricted voting rights restored to felons, how many TIMES should that be done?

I think the end-game idea is zero restrictions.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
If the felon did their time in jail, and they are still a citizen, why SHOULDN'T they have the right to vote?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
If the felon did their time in jail, and they are still a citizen, why SHOULDN'T they have the right to vote?

Why post any restrictions on voting at all, right?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
The difference here is Dem's only cater, Republicans actually commit felony's and buy their way off through bribery, extortion, murder.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

i am all for madoff and milken having their voting rights stripped!

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by lucid eyes

madoff destroyed as many lives as a rapist and murderer.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by th3dudeabides
The difference here is Dem's only cater, Republicans actually commit felony's and buy their way off through bribery, extortion, murder.

The statistics prove that the majority of felons vote Democrat. The reason for this, is that Democrats traditionally side with the poor and disadvantaged. These are the facts regardless of your partisan trolling.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackthorne

madoff destroyed as many lives as a rapist and murderer.

Madoff destryoed livelihoods, which is bad enough. But not quite as low as taking life I would think. Nonetheless I dont disagree...I dont think Madoff should have the right to vote.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

see, two sides can find common ground. and destroying a livelihood, for some, is just as bad as taking a life. for some, that is all they have and find no other recourse but the final way out.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

I think it is to give the appearance we are working across the isle and with the Republicans rather that obstructing them just because of their criminal past.

edit on 12-11-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join