It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Democrats cater to Felons

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Why do democrats and liberals seek to expand voting rights for felons and convicts? The answer is simple: To increase their voter base. Its no secret that the majority of Felons and Convicts are liberals/democrats.

Under the guise of fighting for peoples civil rights and under the guise of the race-card...

See: Huffington Post: State Deny Millions of Ex-Felons Voting Rights)

See: NAACP seeks to reinstate ex-felons voting rights

Democrats are merely scheming to get more votes...

See: Fox News: Felons Favor Democrats

See: Reuters: Felons vote Democrats.

This opening post is a criticism of the Democratic Party for catering to criminals and its also a protest of the idea to give voting rights to people who have yet to prove that they respect the laws of the country and other citizens. If over a long period of time they prove themselves worthy Im OK with reinstating their voting rights, but to me this reeks of a political party trying to exploit the poor and downtrodden for political strategy purposes.
edit on 12-11-2012 by lucid eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by lucid eyes

This opening post is a criticism of the Democratic Party for catering to criminals and its also a protest of the idea to give voting rights to people who have yet to prove that they respect the laws of the country and other citizens. If over a long period of time they prove themselves worthy Im OK with reinstating their voting rights, but to me this reeks of a political party trying to exploit the poor and downtrodden for political strategy purposes.

Sorry? I think it depends on what you determine to be a felony. Certainly a person who takes a life, should not be allowed to vote, since they have no care of life to begin with, but other felons, after serving their time, and going through the process of redeeming themselves through the system, should be given the opportunity to vote.

People who have worked their way to be back in the system, should be part of the system, so I think you are on to something.

Denying the rights of people who have felonies that were non violent crimes is wrong, in my opinion.

No second chance though, if they have only played the system.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Why do democrats and liberals seek to expand voting rights for felons and convicts? The answer is simple: To increase their voter base. Its no secret that the majority of Felons and Convicts are liberals/democrats.

Under the guise of fighting for peoples civil rights and under the guise of the race-card...

See: Huffington Post: State Deny Millions of Ex-Felons Voting Rights)

See: NAACP seeks to reinstate ex-felons voting rights

Democrats are merely scheming to get more votes...

See: Fox News: Felons Favor Democrats

See: Reuters: Felons vote Democrats.

The punishment should match the crime. being convicted of just any felony should not prevent you from voting if you have served your time. There are many crimes that are defined as felony's. Some, IMO are serious enough to warrant losing rights while others are not. If a person returns to a productive life after serving time, whats the harm in letting them vote? Whats wrong with a second chance? I can understand repeat offenders being penalized in this way but not everyone that gets a conviction. I've see many decent people make mistakes, serve thier time and then resume a normal life that contributes to society. Even the bible (the book that many "upstanding" citizens" look to for guidance) teaches forgiveness.

What are they afraid of?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mike.Ockizard

Some, IMO are serious enough to warrant losing rights while others are not.

If only the civil rights groups would differentiate between such offenses...

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

It looks like both of the sham parties are using this issue for political purposes. One crime that warrants losing voting rights is the attempt by the GOP to limit or discourage people from voting. Those folks should lose their citizenship and be deported.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by lucid eyes

So how exactly is it do you expect to lower the recidivism rate? You do understand the system was never intended to act as a means for lifelong punishment right? It is in fact people like you that have helped to turn the Criminal Justice system into a bad joke and societal problem. The entirety of the US prison system was and is supposed to be about rehabilitation. Now instead it is about providing prisoners for the privatized prison system. It is kind of funny how people on the right are always on and on about how the US is a Christian nation, yet vomit on the very institutions that best reflect that. To have them tell it Jesus wasn't about teaching a better way through forgiveness, he came to give them a get rich quick scheme.

You gain nothing by further isolating those that have been incarcerated from the rest of society. In fact you just give them one more reason to not care about you and yours. You don't want them to be able to get a decent job, you don't want them to be able to use their full potential and now you don't want them to vote. What exactly do you think the end result of this line of thought will be? What exactly is it you are afraid of? Maybe if rehabilitated criminals didn't have to worry about the economic prison you are trying to keep them in they wouldn't feel a need to vote Democrat.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel
Certainly a person who takes a life, should not be allowed to vote...

The one thing has nothing to do with the other.
I hope you understand that by somehow linking peoples right to vote with criminal activity you can just as eaily link peoples right to vote with the thickness of their wallets and just about anything!
The right to vote should have nothing to do with crime and punishment.
Keep your feelings in check and use your head. Setting precedence like that would in time unravel society.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Anyone who is a felon but has been released for prison should be able to vote and have firearms. and every other right there is. If they cant be trusted to deal with voting and having weapons....they should still be in prison!

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Summerian

Certainly a person who takes a life, should not be allowed to vote...

The one thing has nothing to do with the other.
I hope you understand that by somehow linking peoples right to vote with criminal activity you can just as eaily link peoples right to vote with the thickness of their wallets and just about anything!

Sorry? Really, do you think that past criminals who have been through the system, and have worked their way back into society should not be able to vote? If they are successful in doing so, they become tax paying citizens, then they deserve the right to vote, just like any other tax paying citizen. You can't make this up as you go. If we were to all believe you, then by all rights, felons who have successfully completed their rehabilitation, should not be subjected to paying taxes? Get real, you can't have it both ways.

The right to vote should have nothing to do with crime and punishment.
Keep your feelings in check and use your head. Setting precedence like that would in time unravel society.

If a person takes a life, and has no use for life, that is where the buck stops for voting. Would you want Charles Manson casting a determining vote in an election?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by KeliOnyx

You do understand the system was never intended to act as a means for lifelong punishment right?

I didnt say Im for lifelong removal of their voting rights, I said quite the opposite. Where did I say lifelong?

You don't want them to be able to get a decent job,

I didnt say I dont want them to get a decent job. Where did I say that

you don't want them to be able to use their full potential and now you don't want them to vote.

I didnt say I dont want them to use their full potential.

I said they Felons and Convicts should not be allowed to vote and ex-felons only after a long time once they have been proven themselves worthy.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
To address the question implied in the thread's title, the reason why the Republican party does not concern itself with voting rights for felons is that too few white collar criminals ever get convicted to affect their base.

Second line.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
Anyone who is a felon but has been released for prison should be able to vote and have firearms. and every other right there is. If they cant be trusted to deal with voting and having weapons....they should still be in prison!

You have a point there, however, I have a son in law, who is into the business of earning dollars, repeatedly, via the meth business.

He serves his time, gets out, and goes back to business. The last time, it involved guns, and children being found in the home of one of the meth labs.

Should he be able to vote, yes, I still think so, but it would be local voting for him that would put a more lenient judge on the bench for his crimes.

Now this is public information, so I am going to put it out there.....

[url=http://www.wafb.com/story/17747611/three-arrested-for-running-meth-labs]http://www.wafb.com/story/17747611/three-arrested-for-running-meth-labs[/ url]

Donald Ridgedell and John Morris have been charged with four counts of manufacturing meth, one count of possession with intent to distribute, two counts operation, creation or possession of a meth lab, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of a firearm while in possession of a controlled dangerous substance.

This was not his first round at the rodeo, so, no, I don't agree that he should be around guns.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

This was not his first round at the rodeo, so, no, I don't agree that he should be around guns.

And why do you believe he should be able to cast a vote without giving something back to society first?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

And why do you believe he should be able to cast a vote without giving something back to society first?

See, that is my point...this guy worked the system. I do think he should be able to vote after paying his debt to society. Some people are able to work the system without good intentions. He should be able to vote, however, I do not, as in my reply to the other person, ever be able to carry a gun again.

In other words, he gave back to society by serving his time.

Perhaps the system itself is what needs to be looked at.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Sorry? Really, do you think that past criminals who have been through the system, and have worked their way back into society should not be able to vote?

What?
I said no such thing.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

In other words, he gave back to society by serving his time.

Perhaps the system itself is what needs to be looked at.

If indeed "serving his time" actually involved any serving as in service to society, the system might be better.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Summerian

Sorry? Really, do you think that past criminals who have been through the system, and have worked their way back into society should not be able to vote?

What?
I said no such thing.

I guess I read what you put wrong then, so sorry about that.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

If indeed "serving his time" actually involved any serving as in service to society, the system might be better.

Well, I know for a fact that in the past this particular person served some hard labor in Louisiana. They have chain gangs that clean up the highway trash and such.

Is this what you mean by service, or what type of service do you mean?

In this persons case, I think the service should be a comprehensive drug rehabilitation program, and not just being forced to do something like a 12 step program.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac

oh please...no logic is allowed on this board. only hyperbolic, and fear inducing one-liners. c'mon you know the drill by now
edit on 12-11-2012 by jimmyx because: addition

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mike.Ockizard
reply to post by Sissel

It looks like both of the sham parties are using this issue for political purposes. One crime that warrants losing voting rights is the attempt by the GOP to limit or discourage people from voting. Those folks should lose their citizenship and be deported.

Only the GOP on that? Really? So Dems convicted of vote fraud shouldn't get the same? Why does every good idea these days have to be qualified in partisan language? (sigh)

Personally, I think felons should be prohibited from voting until at least off any form of Parole or Probation for the crimes they've committed. Surprisingly, some states actually let felons vote from their prison cells by absentee ballot of all things.

State Voter Laws on Felons

Before ya know it...we won't even require citizenship.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join