It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Democrats cater to Felons

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I have a felony, from when I was 19. Im in my 40's . The felony was something that fell under old laws that have since been changed, and if I was convicted now, would not have been a felony, It shows as quashed now, but the felony remains on my record and I can not vote, or have a weapon to protect myself.

I do not commit any crimes, I have worked , had a family, and am involved in my community, yet I can not vote.
It is very unfair. I do not care what party you belong to, this is a basic rite here. I am not a democrat, so they are not going to get my vote by pushing this. I am just glad that someone is pushing this.

For me to get a layer and get my rite to vote back will cost about $5,500 dollars. I have looked into this.
I can not afford it, and only one person has ever got their gun rites back, because her property was inhabited by bears, and she needed to protect it.

I continue to be punished for something stupid I did over 20 years ago, one of those things not allowed mentioned on this site. Clinton did it, get just didnt get caught, yet I cant vote but he was able to run for president.

My theory is this. All the people in prison, this prison nation has criminalized many people, thereby causing us to loose our rites. You have a major population in the US that have lost their rites as a result. They would love to criminalize us all into loosing our rites .

I do not see this as ever changing, even if it is being discussed, but one can hope. .

BTW I am in AZ.
edit on 12-11-2012 by amatrine because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

Good post and good point.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Thats why I said after a decade of good conduct you should get your voting rights back. Thats only fair.

And the left-wing organizations campaigning for felons right to vote should differentiate between cases like yours and hard felonies.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I have been in the criminal justice field for close to 40 years.
Here's what I have learned.

There is no justice. There is no system.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Most one time felons who have served their sentence, their parole and paid their restitution (in AZ) can vote upon completion of the above.

No -- you can't own or possess firearms, but you should be able to vote. Check into it.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by lucid eyes

So basically the dems are catering to the republicans?

I mean that is what you are saying since Republicans are full of felons.

List of republican felons

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
kinda funny reading this, I'm a felon and I am a registered Republican and ONLY vote Republican, I am a hardcore conservative

Take THAT Democrats

ETA: Hey, I'm not on that list LOL
edit on 11/12/2012 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel

So, by peeing in pubic, this person should not be able to vote?

I'm going to call that political Darwinism.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

I didn't do prison ,just jail. I did check into it with a layer and that was what the cost was going to be, including the superior court cost. That was years ago, when I checked , do not know if anything has changed since then.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucid eyes

Originally posted by Ghost375
If the felon did their time in jail, and they are still a citizen, why SHOULDN'T they have the right to vote?

Why post any restrictions on voting at all, right?

Just for clarity.
Some states, Texas is one of them, will reinstate the felons voting rights after a time period of keeping your nose clean. No new convictions, completed parole without any issues and towed the line for five years.

They shouldn't get to vote because that is the law and they committed the felony with that law in place.

They also can't own a gun or work as a police officer, nurse, physician, firefighter, marriage or family counselor, pharmacist or funeral home director. A convicted felon will not be able work as an attorney, jail guard or school bus driver. Additionally, a convicted felon may not serve as a juror in a trial.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

edit on 12-11-2012 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by kerazeesicko
Republicans are full of felons.

The stats/facts are pretty clear: The majority of Felons have traditionally been liberals, democrats, progressives. That doesnt mean there are no Republican felons. It just means that the liberal-mindset and crime are a more natural union than the moralistic mindset of a conservative is.

Many of the felonies committed aren't even considered felonies by liberals, they are only considered felonies by conservatives (drug abuse and consensual pedophilia for instance). So as far as liberals are concerned, many felons are falsely convicted.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
The map posted above in this page actually proves the point. The more liberal states reinstate felons voting rights the very instant they are released. Why? Because in most cases the felons vote is another vote for Democrats.
edit on 13-11-2012 by lucid eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by KeliOnyx
It is kind of funny how people on the right are always on and on about how the US is a Christian nation, yet vomit on the very institutions that best reflect that. To have them tell it Jesus wasn't about teaching a better way through forgiveness, he came to give them a get rich quick scheme.

Not sure how Jesus factors into any of this. Except that, unlike you, he could tell the difference between the good and bad guys.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Im surprised not a single liberal in this thread objects to their party catering to felons. I think that speaks louder than anything about their state of mind these days.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I have a great deal of difficulty getting my head around this. Surely if you've done your time in prison, for whatever crime, once you return to general society you've paid your debt to the community around you. You've paid the price, you've served your time. If you're out of prison you should be allowed to vote - it's a basic human right.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by AngryCymraeg
I have a great deal of difficulty getting my head around this. Surely if you've done your time in prison, for whatever crime, once you return to general society you've paid your debt to the community around you. You've paid the price, you've served your time. If you're out of prison you should be allowed to vote - it's a basic human right.

Thats how democrats argue. But they only argue that way because they know that criminals are prone to vote for them, are prone to embrace liberalism.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by lucid eyes

So the entirety of your argument is that it is fundamentally right to disenfranchise citizens from voting because they tend to vote in a manner you do not like. Ok gotcha. Did it ever occur to you they tend to vote that way because the dreaded liberals aren't the ones hellbent on making them pay for their mistakes the rest of their lives?

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucid eyes
Thats how democrats argue. But they only argue that way because they know that criminals are prone to vote for them, are prone to embrace liberalism.

No, that's how the rest of the world argues. Once you're out of prison, once you've paid for your crimes, once you've acknowledged that you made a horrible mistake, you should be allowed to vote again. Voting is a human right. Who are you to deny that human right to people who have paid their dues to society?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join