It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Democrats cater to Felons

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
It's not as if there were a secret rule contingent that springs this stuff on people AFTER they commit the felony.
What's that? You didn't know about the voting rule before you committed a felony crime?
You wouldn't have commited that crime?
Poor criminals.
Being subject to the law.
How unfair.

There is a child molester where I work who whines because he can't vote.
He did time and has paid his debt but still doesn't see what he did as a big deal.
"People have sex with kids all the time. What's the problem? "

And that's why felons don't vote.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Personally, I think felons should be prohibited from voting until at least off any form of Parole or Probation for the crimes they've committed. Surprisingly, some states actually let felons vote from their prison cells by absentee ballot of all things.

Really? That is something that I was never aware of. Something more to investigate for ATS!
so, thanks.

State Voter Laws on Felons

Before ya know it...we won't even require citizenship.

With the 600,000 or so votes in Arizona alone, that have not been counted, I think that is the case already.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

There is a child molester where I work who whines because he can't vote.
He did time and has paid his debt but still doesn't see what he did as a big deal.
"People have sex with kids all the time. What's the problem? "

And that's why felons don't vote.

If only it were that simple. I know a person who got very drunk, and peed in public, and was put on a sex offenders list, because the charge for peeing in public ended up being a felony.

So, by peeing in pubic, this person should not be able to vote?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel

Is this what you mean by service, or what type of service do you mean?

Yeah...thats what I mean by service.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by lucid eyes

Is this what you mean by service, or what type of service do you mean?

Yeah...thats what I mean by service.

Okay, so, serving the public, to again be part of the public? Makes sense to me.
edit on 12-11-2012 by Sissel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Before ya know it...we won't even require citizenship

Given the opportunity I bet thats the direction democrats would love to move towards.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by lucid eyes

At the risk of a too short reply: How long exactly?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

So, by peeing in pubic, this person should not be able to vote?

No. He said felons who dont regret their crimes should not be able to vote.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s

At the risk of a too short reply: How long exactly?

Id say a decade of good conduct should do.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Okay, so, serving the public, to again be part of the public? Makes sense to me

That we can agree on then. Maybe before looking at voting rights we should look at the prison system in general.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

That seems fairly reasonable, actually. I would put the number somewhere between a decade and immediately following the completion of their sentence + parole / probation, depending on the crime, but I have no basic argument with your premise.

We absolutely need to have a path back to full citizenship for everyone. If no path exists because of the nature of an individuals crime, that person should not be let out, period.

We do ourselves no favors by releasing felons (and remember -- a large majority of our felons are drug criminals) back into society with no meaningful path towards full participation (education, jobs, housing, voting).
edit on 12-11-2012 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

So now you have created a situation where they have not voted for a decade and expect them to vote Republican? What the hell fantasy land is it people live in? Just what exactly do you think is going to happen in that decade to change their mind? If anything you are just further reinforcing the disenfranchisement you are already for and magnifying it by 10 years. Good luck selling that message,

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

I don't think there is any question that most will not vote GOP. The GOP is far too belligerent in its rhetoric towards anyone not approaching perfection by their own definition.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

That is kind of my entire point. You can't just simply look at someone and take the hardline all the time. And I find it funny that it tends to be the GOP and it's membership that wants to be the ones taking the hardline until it happens to them, then we are supposed to be forgiving. Big Daddy pill popper Rush is a perfect example of that twisted view.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by KeliOnyx

So now you have created a situation where they have not voted for a decade and expect them to vote Republican?

I didnt say that either. This is the fourth time you put words into my mouth that I didnt say. The other three you havent responded to.

You`ll have to work on your reading and comprehension before expecting to participate in any meaningful conversation or discussion.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

We do ourselves no favors by releasing felons (and remember -- a large majority of our felons are drug criminals) back into society with no meaningful path towards full participation (education, jobs, housing, voting).

I dont disagree. People deserve a second chance, sometimes a third. Not a fourth though, imo.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

So now you have created a situation where they have not voted for a decade and expect them to vote Republican? What the hell fantasy land is it people live in? Just what exactly do you think is going to happen in that decade to change their mind? If anything you are just further reinforcing the disenfranchisement you are already for and magnifying it by 10 years. Good luck selling that message,

You know, I have to admit, that I didn't take that at all from this persons comments. Voting, like a drivers license is a privilege and not a right. That needs to be changed in regards to some felons who have proven themselves worthy of living in society again.

When a person walks into a voting booth, at least for now, there is nobody standing over their shoulder telling them how to vote.

Prison time is not going to get a hard line criminal to change their vote to a republican.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by lucid eyes

I dont disagree. People deserve a second chance, sometimes a third. Not a fourth though, imo.

On that I do not agree. The guy I highlighted for not learning his lesson, has been busted twice in the last couple of years for meth, and also for forgery.

A second chance is extremely generous.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

I want to believe that most educated people can spot a hypocrite and adjust their perceptions accordingly, but I live in the real world, and that is sadly -- not the case.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I'm just curious....but where did anyone say anything about restoration of voting rights having something to do with getting them to vote GOP? I'd think criminals are about sick of any form of Law and Order types and I dare say that while many in Social Services are Democrat by nature, prison guards are likely not the most bleeding heart types one would find. Your logic is what I'm not getting here.....?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join