It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Guard Kills Elderly Man

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

82-year-old killed by National Guard vehicle in NY

www.sfgate.com

NEW YORK (AP) — Police say an 82-year-old man has been struck and killed by a National Guardsman driving in a convoy of about six vehicles.

The man was crossing the road near Centre and Canal streets in Chinatown around 1:25 p.m. Tuesday when he was struck. His name was not immediately released. The truck was a six-wheel, camouflage-covered vehicle.

Read more: www.sfgate.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.dnainfo.com
edit on 11/6/2012 by semperfortis because: Copy the EXACT Headline

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
From the OWS Facebook page

The National Guard/Army ran over and most likely killed a man on Canal St. (Chinatown) betw. Centre St. and Lafayette St at around 1:15 today (November 6th).

A convoy of 10 or so trucks were barreling down Canal St. I saw them run one red light, and I think it's pretty safe to say they ran the previous red light as well.

The man who was killed looked to be in his 40s or 50s, and judging by the
Chinese language newspapers he was carrying, he was probably Asian.

His body was halfway under one of the truck tires and it looked like the back of his head got smashed into the asphalt after he was hit. Blood everywhere.

EMS arrived in about 7 minutes, tore off his shirt to try to give him CPR. They put his neck in a neck brace, so I'm assuming his neck was broken. After around five minutes they stopped giving him CPR and his body was going into convulsions.

It was pretty clear the NYPD was trying to clear all of the witnesses away. They made everyone leave the sidewalk (we weren't blocking foot traffic, so it was actually legal to stand there). They said they were going to spray down the street and we would get wet if we stood there. This never actually happened, no one got wet.

Khoda beyamorz.

[SNIP]

edit on 6-11-2012 by ubeenhad because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-11-2012 by Gemwolf because: Removed graphic image

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
That squirt is a good twenty feet. Ouch!

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Am I to assume that the image in the OP is an on the scene picture? If so, may I ask how it is that if the victim passed halfway under the vehicle, how it is that he appears to be under the front fender, but in front of the front passenger side of the vehicle?

I mean what, did the silly buggers reverse over him to see what the bumping was?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Poor bloke. Not good.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Thats so sad. Is that the driver of the vehicle standing there? Looks like the truck skidded to a stop on the poor gentlemans body. Running red lights, huh? What the hell for?

At least it was quick. You don't remain conscious when the back of your head smacks the pavement that hard.

Edit: He was hit right there. Looks like he had just bought dinner, thats rice scattered on the ground on the right side of the photo. He was hit hard, but I don't think he was dragged or backed over. He is not in a cross walk either...
edit on 6-11-2012 by intrptr because: additional...

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
Thats so sad. Is that the driver of the vehicle standing there? Looks like the truck skidded to a stop on the poor gentlemans body.

Where are the skid marks??

Running red lights, huh? What the hell for?

Where did you read that the truck ran a red light???

At least it was quick. You don't remain conscious when the back of your head smacks the pavement that hard.

So, you think that because it was a quick death, some how, this lessens the tragedy?

Edit: He was hit right there. Looks like he had just bought dinner, thats rice scattered on the ground on the right side of the photo. He was hit hard, but I don't think he was dragged or backed over. He is not in a cross walk either...

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
What the hell were these idiots thinking running red lights with out sirens . Really they should be charged with reckless driving that has resulted in a death . That is pretty common knowledge to anyone who is a professional driver , and even everyone else that has a license . Or does the military just hand out these license like a prize in a cracker jack box .

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
If you saw a bunch of army trucks coming down the road, wouldn't you stop and back up no matter if you were in the right or not? I'm really leery of Semi's, dump trucks, and logging trucks. They have a long stopping distance. I assume these trucks don't stop too fast either.

I guess driving in NY is a little different than driving in Iraq or Afghanistan. Over there if you run over a pedestrian it's not that big a deal.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

said they were running red lights second paragrah down in the op

also looks like an intersection right behind the truck
edit on 6/11/12 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ubeenhad

I know you probably didn't see it but it was already posted in the social issues forum.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The OP there had originally displayed the same pic as you, but mods took it down for being too graphic. It is a bit disturbing for the unprepared.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedomSlave
What the hell were these idiots thinking running red lights with out sirens . Really they should be charged with reckless driving that has resulted in a death . That is pretty common knowledge to anyone who is a professional driver , and even everyone else that has a license . Or does the military just hand out these license like a prize in a cracker jack box .

Well #1 military vehicles in a convoy don't have "Sirens" they're not police cars, firetrucks or ems vehicles. #2 I've been liscensed for everything from hummers & 5 tons to bluebird busses and dirtbikes in the Marine Corps. I'ts not something that's taken lightly. Sometimes accidents happen, this is a tragedy and shouldn't be turned into a "Evil military trying to kill civilians issue". I will tell you that a convoy full of diesel vehicles isn't exactly quiet or something that could be missed if you looked both ways before crossing the street, I'm guessing maybe the victim was hearing or visually impared or possible a combination of the two. In any event, I feel for his family.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

Originally posted by intrptr

Where are the skid marks??

On him.

Where did you read that the truck ran a red light???

Read the link in the OP:

A convoy of 10 or so trucks were barreling down Canal St. I saw them run one red light, and I think it's pretty safe to say they ran the previous red light as well.

So, you think that because it was a quick death, some how, this lessens the tragedy?

Not at all. You read the part where I said...

Thats so sad.

edit on 7-11-2012 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-11-2012 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I have read both articles several times and they both say nothing of “red light running.”
I would copy and paste what they say, but Springer banned me for several months the last time I did this. Please review T&C. Here are the links that I have read . Both are provided by the OP. And nowhere in the above OP do I read anything about “Red light running.”
www.dnainfo.com...

www.sfgate.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Please add your thoughts to the existing thread.

Thank you.

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join