It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most AGGRESSIVE nation on earth!!! (Guess before clicking...)

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by denver22

And we still have the best submarines in the world, quietest anyway. Im not sure i agree we should still be operating them through given the current financial times we live in.

The British empire had to come to an end sometime same as Roman Empire and all others. They become corrupt and sterile over the years and time just moves right on over them. IMHO of course.
edit on 6-11-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by kudegras
Yes in 1788 the British led by Captain James Cook discovered Australia, he also discovered the land was inhabited by an indigenous race we now call the Koori who have been here for over 40,000 years.
Over the next hundred years or so the British first disposed of their convicts here and in later years many Brits come here of their own accord for various different reasons.
Some of my ancestors came here due to the potato famine others came here to pan for gold.
The weather is certainly better than in Britain, and we don't worry about snakes and spiders. Dont touch them and they wont touch you.
They only have croc's up north and you'd have to be an idiot to go anywhere near them where its dangerous.
There are plenty of tourist trips where you are perfectly safe with people who know how to handle them.
Yep, it's as close to paradise as your likely to get.

That's because you Aussies are experienced now and discovered the land of hell was actually paradise.

imagine the first brits to land there, they would of had a look around "hey James look at this curious furry spider, we don't get these in England" (hands it over) "ahhhh the bugger bit me" after burying poor James, Henry decides to go for a swim, "hey Fred do you think Henry is OK? he keeps waving at us and the water is turning red"

it would of gone on like this for days, until it was time to return to England, where they informed everybody that the new land was hell and you'd die if you live there.

that's how i imagine it going down, Australians benefited from clueless inexperienced Brits who run around a living room swiping a newspaper in a panic and fit at the sight of a wasp.
edit on 6-11-2012 by lifeform11 because: typos

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Ok, I wasnt going to, but time to put some myths straight.

Australia was known of, by the Chinese, the Indonesians, the Dutch, The Portugese, probably the Spanish, and possible by the Eqyptians, before the British had designs to colonise the place....Yes the British would have been aware of the Southern land, just as much as the other European Nations. Infact the Journey of Captain Cook was to map the coast and investigate the land.
The Great Southern Land of "Terra Australis" had been viewed and scouting parties sent ashore to investigate before, by British and other Europeans...With reports that there were No cities, No Agriculture, No structures...just a few dark "Primitive people". So it was considered at the time by "European Standards", to be "Terra Nullius"....Which is Latin and means "Land Belonging to Noone", and therefore in European sensibilities of the time...ripe for the picking, finders keepers etc etc.
If It wasnt the British that invaded the Southern Land, It would have been the Dutch/Spanish/Portugese/Chinese/Japanese/American/Russian/Prussian or whoever else had the means and technology, as unfortunately, the local Native peoples, could not have fought off ANY other Nation.

Also It may surprise people to realise that Australia is as big as China, almost as big as the USA, and while an Invasion took place in 1778 in New South Wales, 99% of the interior of the country lay undiscovered until the next century. And Like the USA, other colonies were set up at different times to the original invasion, with different expectations etc...Indeed take the state I live in, South Australia, The State was set up by an act of British Parliament, as a Free State (Not a convict state), with free ideals etc....And in the Proclamation of that colony in 1836, Specific Mention was given to Cooperation with the local First Peoples and recognition of their tenure, and to allow them to be treated as citizens of the "South Australia Colony".
Certainly Far ahead of the USA's treaties with the local "Indian" people at the same time.

The British were ahead of the game at that time...remember they tried to stop slavery from Africa etc.
And Be Aware...the Australian "Aborigine" or First peoples, were NEVER used as slaves, nor was an industry and markets set up for Slavery in Australia at any time...unlike the USA.
Tho of course there were conflict over lands and deaths on both sides.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

I have really gotten to know Brits recently. Been watching allot of your TV, ehem, teli, since it is some of the only programming on TV in English where I am. Been watching allot of your movies, new and old. I have also met more than 90% of all brits I ever knew/ met recently while they are on holiday.

I have to say, not what I expected. Some things are though, but those things are trivial. There are many nuances to your culture most Americans cant appreciate. I like you guys for the most part. We have similar mind sets believe it or not.

I think the detrimental aspect of stereo types and generalizations is that they keep you from really getting to know people based on what you think you know already.

Oh, but you guys are insane when you are drunk. JESUS. I thought American frat boys were bad, but holy crap. You are hell on earth when full of beer and your team either won or lost. If they won you drink and sing, fight the losers. If your team lost, you drink and scream, fight everybody. lol

I grew up around allot of Irish as well, so that had a big influence on me. A really good friend of mine is Irish. They dont like the English very much, In case you didnt know that....lol.

edit on 6-11-2012 by manykapao because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by manykapao

Funny with the Irish. Never had a problem myself with them and have been a few times. You get the banter in the pub but then we Brits give it to the Irish, Americans and Aussies when they visit (and we expect it when we visit).

It is like i have always said, at the end of the day all the English speaking countries are family. We may fight amongst ourselves and take the piss (like every family everywhere) but threaten my family and you are in trouble.............
edit on 6-11-2012 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

yeah I notice that. NY Irish is more resentful than actual Irish. I don't know why that happens. I think it is an identity thing, being in NY and wanting to keep your Irish culture, you grasp at straws and find something so polarizing about your history that you cling onto it.

The only Irish I met that were authentic Irish and actually hated the English were probably IRA fugitives hiding in NY. My area was known for that at one point. Its has a large Irish community that received all NYC´s Irish when the other ethnicities took over their old neighborhoods.

I think it is more true for american Irish than actual Irish.

EDIT:
Yeah, we are allies with or without a formal treaty. We are a family. I feel closer to a brit because I am American over my cultural heritage from Europe(Spanish). I would go to war for the UK.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

It is in our blood beer, completly OT but in the 19 hundreds in the UK when we had little boys and girls going down T' pit and up T' chimneys for breakfast they were given a drink called small beer which was around 2.5% they had a couple of pints because they knew if they drank water they would be ill.
We brewed with our water to make it safe and the japanese boiled it, thats why we can take the alcohol we have gotten used to it

Yeah we like a drink and I reckon we must off been drunk when taking over these countries because no one should mess with a drunk Englishman

When I was in NY for a month I enjoyed having a drink at dinner time (like I do here sometimes) but my NY pals were like OMG are you an alcoholic? just because I had one in the middle of the day lol. They were amazed at my and my pals ability to drink vast amounts, they tried to keep up but bless em they were all sick lol

edit on 6-11-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

I think that is the real reason behind our desires (tonight Pinky, we are going to take over the world! M'wah hah hah). Convince the rest of the world we need to be in charge so they all speak English and then voila, end of war.

We all know it isn't fun being at war with someone when you can understand what they are screaming back at you......

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by manykapao

I have really gotten to know Brits recently. Been watching allot of your TV, ehem, teli, since it is some of the only programming on TV in English where I am. Been watching allot of your movies, new and old. I have also met more than 90% of all brits I ever knew/ met recently while they are on holiday.

I have to say, not what I expected. Some things are though, but those things are trivial. There are many nuances to your culture most Americans cant appreciate. I like you guys for the most part. We have similar mind sets believe it or not.

I think the detrimental aspect of stereo types and generalizations is that they keep you from really getting to know people based on what you think you know already.

Oh, but you guys are insane when you are drunk. JESUS. I thought American frat boys were bad, but holy crap. You are hell on earth when full of beer and your team either won or lost. If they won you drink and sing, fight the losers. If your team lost, you drink and scream, fight everybody. lol

I grew up around allot of Irish as well, so that had a big influence on me. A really good friend of mine is Irish. They dont like the English very much, In case you didnt know that....lol.

I know one thing the american women go crazy for us brits especially southern england accent

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

WRONG they go nuts for the northern accent

2nd.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

WRONG they go nuts for the northern accent

2nd.

Allright they go nuts for all our accents

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Actually i think you will find they prefer us Scots men an example would be Sir Sean Connery as James Bond. LoL Only joking we are all sexy beasts. LoL

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

Hooray we are all right

American women love us British men

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by andy06shake

Hooray we are all right

American women love us British men

They do and if the americans think they have trouble understanding us then you gotta
respect that we have trouble understanding some too we call them pikeys and they have a language on to their own..www.youtube.com... www.youtube.com...

edit on 6-11-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-11-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by MaMaa

Well, this thread really is full to the brim with misconceptions, lies and bigotry and one or two slightly humorous, but sadly not original, comments and observations.

But I really had to stop and comment on this example of outright ignorance;

Oh I don't dislike all of you, just have met a few awful ones.

Please, I've met awful people of almost every nationality - we Brits, English or other, are hardly unique in that some are 'awful' - a bit of self-examination wouldn't go amiss.

Rude, cynical, mean spirited ones.

I refer the honourable member to the answer I gave earlier.

As for the mutt comment, I just meant that my Irish and Scottish heritage is probably not so pure, I'm sure somewhere along the line there might be British ancestry mixed in.....

Scots ARE British and so are many Irish - do you know anything about the UK and it's people?

Off to finish the rest of this truly appalling thread - I may even comment again and drag the tone of this thread down even further.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Brad Pitt played that part to perfection such a funny movie! I love Snatch! The movie is good as well! LoL

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake

Brad Pitt played that part to perfection such a funny movie! I love Snatch! The movie is good as well! LoL

It's funny as 8 out of 10 americans think we speak posh and sip tea in saucers like in the propaganda sterotyping drivel that gets spread..

Alot don't realize that we have gave back the countries and give some of the most aid to third world
countries etc..

We even gave america it's "independance" and look how they have grown from being baby pups
to daddy pups

But they resent their heritage and where they come from pretending that they have no ties or links
at all...can't we all just get along my fine american colonial cousins..

Peace to all..

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I appreciate that much of this thread is banter. Just a few things, even if this is correct, and there's some debate about what constitutes 'aggressive' invasion &c in this context, this is all historical. Sure it has it's ramifications and history can cast a long shadow, but is it any different than the Mongol Empire, Roman Empire, Spanish Empire? It's often said on these boards, mainly from Americans, that why should Americans be brought to account when the British, the Germans [insert imperialist lunatics of choice here] did such and such [insert that thing you've just read on wiki]. It's key is that it's all historical. The British Empire ended before anyone on these boards was born.

The ancestors of the British on these boards were, to an extent, as much victims at home as others were in the 'colonies' &c. No voting for the bulk of the population until Universal Suffrage after WWI, very little in the way of rights, a class structure that rendered most of the population second class citizens &c. All this is worth remembering the next time an Irish American rants about famines that happened in the middle-1800s and points fingers at the Brits alive today (and by 'Brits' they really mean English because 'celtic' Scots and Welsh never do anything bad right? all 'celts' together, right?).

To put all this into perspective:

Currently, the United States has military personnel deployed in about 150 Countries…This covers 75% of The World’s Nations.

Deployment Facts from Vet Friends

This is current, rather than historical: 2012 not 1912.

Also, it's interesting that few people remember that Russia still has, to all intents and purposes, a fairly massive Empire and the Scandinavians seem to always get off very, very lightly in this kind of talk and yet Russia is actually named after these particular invaders in the same way England is.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

"It's funny as 8 out of 10 americans think we speak posh and sip tea in saucers like in the propaganda sterotyping drivel that gets spread.."

I find that funny also.

"Alot don't realize that we have gave back the countries and give some of the most aid to third world
countries etc.."

Yes but we retained the mineral rights and other such luxurys.

"We even gave america it's "independance" and look how they have grown from being baby pups
to daddy pups"

I would argue that Britain has never lost a war that it has not intensinaly meant to do so. We are not so much the 51 state as America is still a colony. Follow the money it all ends up back in London somewhere IMHO.

"But they resent their heritage and where they come from pretending that they have no ties or links
at all...can't we all just get along my fine american colonial cousins.."

They and we need to stop trying to Police the world! Then things can change and we can all get on. I know its not a lightly scenario but i can dream.

"Peace to all.."

You to mate.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Gotta give props to the tiny island that can conquor the world and force their dialect to become the unofficial world language.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join