It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From NY, eyewitness & victim

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I hope to post these images correctly.

You can see how similar or different Lower Manhattan is against the 1660 Castello Plan map at this Yahoo Maps page. The map used is the 1916 re-draft of the original map; the Castello map is super-imposed over the same streets of today. You can manipulate the opacity of the map and realize "Hey, so that's what 400 years of landfill looks like!"

We've looked at the 1660 map before, but in the context of flooding.

1650's through 1990's

An interesting facet of this conceptual floodmap from the Union of Concerned Scientists is the way it uncannily traces the boundaries of 400 years' worth of landfill on both East and West sides of lower Manhattan. In the 1600s, the East River lapped the edge of Pearl Street, while the Hudson approached the town's high road, Broadway.

The floodmap depicts the submersion of areas built upon landfill, such as Battery Park, South Ferry, and South Street Seaport. If the waters rise, would the Dutch reclaim New Amsterdam and reconstruct the "Gentleman's Canal" along Broad Street?

gothamist.com...

edit on 3-11-2012 by riverwild because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-11-2012 by riverwild because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
thanks for this thread OP, i'm getting a lot of good insight as to what was going on here in brighton. i can confirm with you on a couple of things here:

1. there was definitely MINIMAL rainfall. it couldn't even be compared to a regular rain shower's worth of rain. the water was so fine that you couldn't even make out droplets looking out the window. all of the flooding that has been seen was a result of the water coming from the bottom up, not top down.

2. while i do agree that a lot of water has made its way through cracks in the pavement, the high tide from the bay and the beach is really what i think did most of the devastation. it took approximately an hour and a half since the water started rising in the streets for it to totally become impossible to traverse them. honestly, without any rainfall, isn't an hour and a half REALLY fast to have water up to the engines of cars? that may be why you're gauging it in under 10 minutes.. it DEFINITELY felt like it happened that fast.

i have uploaded a picture taken by my significant other who was trapped in her building throughout this entire ordeal. this is what a block down the road from brighton looked like about an hour after the water started to really pour into the streets. it was inexplicably fast. it felt more like a tsunami than a hurricane to be honest.

now i don't know how this mixes into all this, but i've had several reports from completely different areas of brooklyn about their buildings/homes shaking.. like rumbling. these are homes that maintained their power the whole time and experienced relatively little/no flooding. a close friend of mine who reported this to me quickly had messages coming at her from her neighbors asking her if she felt the shaking as well.

why would a building shake during a hurricane when it's nowhere near the coastal damage/power outages that have caused most of the devastation? there's probably an obvious reason for this that i'm not seeing but.. it kind of really didn't make sense whatsoever at the time.

edit on 3-11-2012 by facedye because: made the picture visible in the post

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Wow,for some reason this OP seems like an embellisher to me.too vague.

Maybe this fabrication should be in the fiction section,.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by facedye

Thanks for the great pics... Hope your significant other is faring well....

Des

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by MyHappyDogShiner
Wow,for some reason this OP seems like an embellisher to me.too vague.

Maybe this fabrication should be in the fiction section,.

Maybe you should read the whole thread.....

Des

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I remember Alex collier talked about catastrophe events. He said the people should planned before hand because the governments isnt going to do # for the poeple. Alex was absolutely right!
edit on 3-11-2012 by sam_inc because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-11-2012 by sam_inc because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

It was a damned storm surge,all of your "GUESSES" won't make it anything else.

No mystery here,just ignoramuses discussing # they know nothing about.

New Orleans/New York =areas where population should not be,

The internet is the ...........................................................

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by facedye

Thanks for the great pics... Hope your significant other is faring well....

Des

thank you des! when her power comes back on, she'll be able to give me the rest of the photos she took throughout the night. if need be, i shall include them as well. ATS really needs to dig into this to rule out the existence of foul play. as far as i'm concerned, it was an all too strange night.

it's hard to explain. i've lived through a series of severe hurricanes living here, but i've experienced nothing like this. all of the power of this "storm" (i'd call it more of a severe flash of heavy winds and high tide before calling it a hurricane) seemed to just slam the city all at once, and create way more devastation than hurricanes of the second or third category. it just didn't feel natural.

on top of that, the reporting around here before and during the event was completely out of whack. i tried feverishly to figure out what category this storm was right before it hit, and was getting mixed readings. simultaneously, i was being told that it was "only a tropical storm," but i should also expect "the worst storm in a hundred years with massive power outages." i mean.. that's confusing, right? lol, how do those two even compare on a basic scale?

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Firstly, eyewitness accounts need to be taken for exactly what they are, which is why it is so difficult to use them in court. Humans will post hoc fill in blanks to the story to make a narrative, its the way our brains work, and it largely serves a worthwhile purpose, but you run into trouble in situations like this. I have no real doubts that the OP is genuinely posting this info, and says herself that she wants ATS to analyze her info, and largely thats what people have been doing. However, you must remember that she is understandably traumatized and overwhelmed and tired, and so the real proof must come from the video and pictures, which aside from the one video, I have yet to see. This in no way means shes purposely lying or trying to manipulate anyone, which gets me to my real point.
Davidmann, on the other hand, is purposely manipulating this thread. You play your hand in one of the first posts, linking to a wiki page about psychopathy. Big red flag. Then goes on to post these gems:

"Look, maybe I'm just too smart for this,"

and

"I haven't thought about it, since I'm not a confidence trickster. However, I could read all about you, knowing that you are a first class chump with a good heart who rushes to be first to hand over a number based on a sob story.

Then I could play....nevermind

See earlier link I supplied from wikipedia. Good information there. At the very least, I could sell the numbers to scam artists who play on senile good hearted people. It's all in the link. When you dedicate your every neuron and nerve ending to defending against a brainwashed, malicious, religious, and foremost, control freak, you get inured against the obvious deceptions, such as government and media brainwashing. That is my life, see. It is as close to life/death as anything I have encountered from the 'sky'."

Ignoring the gibberish at the end, and in his next couple of posts, he tells you here exactly what he's about. This is a wannabe psychopath, someone that is "practicing" on these forums for what I would imagine are real life exploits. Nothing more. No, he's not a real psychopath, and I doubt he's a true disinfo agent (I doubt they would have need for such a sloppy pretender), but he should be ignored nonetheless and not be allowed to bury this thread under his bs. Contrary to his implications, people can fulfill their psychopathic cravings by manipulating forum discussions as effectively as they can in real life situations.

This isn't to say that the OP is correct in their own implications, but that's why they posted on here to begin with, to get a sober analysis of events that they cannot, in their current frame of mind, explain.

And most of the responses have been just that. But not david's.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by riverwild

Thanks for the research. This can explain how the footage I saw resembles similiar footage taken in Japan after an earthquake.
youtu.be...

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by MyHappyDogShiner

It was a damned storm surge,all of your "GUESSES" won't make it anything else.

No mystery here,just ignoramuses discussing # they know nothing about.

New Orleans/New York =areas where population should not be,

The internet is the ...........................................................

I don't know what you are ranting about. I didn't guess anything on this thread. you are making that up. Maybe everyone should just come live with you, since you are so smart....

Des

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
A little perspective.
A few years ago we had a very heavy rain ,huge amount in a very short time.
I saw man covers blown off and columns of water shooting out of the holes at least 4 to 5 foot high.

Our drainage system was over capacity to handle that amount of water.

With the storm surge that you experienced on top of the rain would ,I presume,do the same.

Yes Kdog.. and not to mention large areas were soil and clay layed down and then roads built over them. A lotof places where the land it, wasnt land previously. They BUILT parts of the neighborhoods on shifting sand. This would cause the road damage we all saw and the plumes of water when it became saturated by storm surge and high tide.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I have been trying to post something for days! Sheesh!

Honestly, I can believe her. Listening to the scanners that night, it was sad and overwhelming to hear how much was happening so fast. It seemed like places were being destroyed earlier in the evening than later. We thought the bridges were gonna close sooner than it did because things were getting really bad really quick.

My first thought was of course the water is gonna come up, its raining and basements get filled but it wasnt raining in my part of bklyn at the time she states this happening

Edit to add that when my husband was finally able to get to work (on my daughters scooter with pink wheels over the bridge)in the lower east side, he said that one of the buildings there had a huge crack going right down the facade of the building.
edit on 3-11-2012 by WeBrooklyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Hmmm, I have yet to read the responses since your post, but it looks to me that water is DRAINING into what must be voids in the ground. What I see are air bubbles ESCAPING.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I doubt it's coming from the ground

The bedrock that anchors the city’s skyscrapers tells a story of a place going back more than a billion years. The island of Manhattan is built on three strata known as Manhattan Schist, Inwood Marble, and Fordham Gneiss. New York Geology
It's not going to "sink"....but it could be covered in water. That's JUST as bad! There would be no way to pump that water out, because there would be no where to dump that water out.

IMHO........we are witnessing Rev 18. New York City....is FINISHED! Pack the bags boys. We're movin' to Denver!

The CIA has plans to relocate the headquarters of its domestic division, which is responsible for operations and recruitment in the United States, from the CIA’s Langley headquarters to Denver, a move designed to promote innovation, according to U.S. intelligence and law enforcement officials. About $20 million has been tentatively budgeted to relocate employees of the CIA’s National Resources Division, officials said. A U.S. intelligence official said the planned move, confirmed by three other government officials, was being undertaken “for operational reasons.” LINK

Don't worry tho....we still "family"

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by davidmann

I've read most of the thread. Read all of Des' and OPs posts.

I'm confused as to how she had phone service to send to des phone? Yet didn't have that to upload or email the video herself. That was a bit if a red flag.
I don't understand how blackberries or Verizon works. I thought most smart phones have options on vids and pics to share via YouTube, etc? My iPhone does.
Why couldn't OP have emailed it to herself and received it at the strangers computer to put on YouTube? Or use the ATS phone upload service I thought we had? It wouldn't have required her to plug her phone into stranger computer if it can be emailed.

@ Des thank you for your hard work in getting the vid up.
I don't see a fountain of water spouting up. I saw cracks that looked like that were there before, not fresh cracks.

I also don't understand how its any mystery the water can rise so quickly in this situation. It can do that.

As for it being a scam by the op, what would be the motive? Unless the next plan was to ask for money or personal information. Hopefully that wasn't given out. I did pick up on a hint towards that when the op said the donations sent arent getting to them, in other words, if you want to help me, do it directly.

We really don't know anybody on here personally and need to be vigilant.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocks123

That's horrible. I live in the Queens,NY area and have a cousin that came over from Coney Island with his wife and kids. Is there a way you can make it to Queens? I heard they have shelters for those who were affected by sandy and lost their homes.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

I haven't heard back from the OP yet. But, I did get about 6 text messages on my phone last night. I don't have a smart phone. Not once, was there any mention of needing anything other than posting her vid for her. According to her messages to me, they don't have access to electricity or showers except for other folks letting them use theirs. Also, she said they have kids, don't know how many. I will post anything I hear from her, whether it be sent to my phone or PM here.

Des

edit on 3-11-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Sounds good and that's so nice of you to help .

I was under the impression she had the smartphone if its blackberry. I've never owned a blackberry so no idea how they work. My kids have them and they often text or email me videos, or they post directly to their YouTube accounts and send me the link.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
i would think the random shaking that some people are reporting is because the ground level is/was being replaced by all that water underneath the city.. NYC is hundreds of years old with tons of underground infrastructure.. the storm surged through this underground and pushed up through the surface areas creating displacement.. which is why people felt shaking as well..( like when the ground settles your foundation cracks) . the ground was moving due to the water displacement.. it's all very basic science.. i'm not sure what the great mystery is? well be looking for more info and video's tho..

edit on 3-11-2012 by gnosticagnostic because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join