It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three days Since Sandy and New Yorkers are...dumpster diving for food?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wheelindiehl
reply to post by ApolloBloodline

There's no F-ing wilderness around there, take a look at a map online, NYC IS HUGE, it takes hours just to DRIVE through it...w/o traffic...there are no unpopulated areas within probably 2-3 days of walking. I'm sure they didn't think the power would be off this long, or that everything would still be flooded, to take a gamble at a 2 day hike to MAYBE find this alleged wilderness you speak of.

Central park has pigeons and squirrels. You could make dumplins.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by FidelityMusic
More than half of Staten Island was without power as of late last night, with many houses damaged, they have more deaths than the other boroughs, a few less than the other 4 combined. You have people without cars, no public transportation is active for them, no one has come to help them. It's easy to talk as a person who knows basics of survival if SHTF, but not everyone is lucky to stumble upon ATS to learn a thing or two. Staten Island is 40 short New York blocks and a bridge away from me, I wish I could be over there helping the people without food, clothing, and proper shelter as I would want someone to help my family no mateer how much we've prepared with food, water, and our necessities.

Have fun laughing and be happy you aren't out here, I'd be glad to take your food and supplies for these people in need. [/quote

They are turning away help unless you become a union member.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Remember the 2009 ice storm that crippled parts of the US? Yeah, I was without power for nearly three weeks. I didn't starve or freeze. Living in the the sticks, we weren't robbing our neighbors, we were helping each other dig out from under fallen trees and cutting trees from the roads so that we could get out and help could get in.

People need to stop ignoring warnings and prepare! So what if it ends up being hype, at least you have extra supplies right! We never dreamed we would be without power for so long, but fema, the red cross and the Nat'l Guard were here as soon as they could get into the area. And I have one simple self imposed rule ... never let your car get below half a tank! I look at half as empty and fill it up. That'd take me at least 250 miles it I had to move... I hope everyone gets the help they need soon before tempers really get out of control!
edit on 2-11-2012 by Greenize because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by hanyak69

It's not the category of this storm that was the issue, this hit NYC and NJ, that is roughly 16 MILLION people that are displaced, not working, w/o food, w/o electricity...it is a vital part of the U.S. economy.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Even on low income you can prepare. We are low one income family. Every week when we get our groceries, we add one or two things for the emergency stock, a bag of rice, or beans, or powdered milk etc. We have a few months of emergency food supplies.

I take my used bottles, fill them with water and add a drop of bleach. We have a months worth of water, for drinking, and feeding the pets, and flushing toilets. It is not hard to do this on low income. The problem is the mentality that a lot of people have, that they don't need to do this. Nothing is ever going to happen. I know, as I hear it from my husband. I tell him, you will be thankful one day. All it would tale the the grid to go down for one reason or another , and you will need these things.

I know a lot of people do not visit the boards, but this should be a survival instinct. Before ever going to any boards, I have done this as common sense. Its like having a spare tire in your car, in case it breaks down.

To many people trusting in the system to help them. TPTB are loving this. They are seeing how dependent the world is on them.

I have family back there, and they were prepared. They have food , generators, xtra blankets, etc.
I also know there are homeless and such who could not prepare. A lot of them were not even told. This is where the government SHOULD have been doing something and telling thee people to get out of the subways, there is a storm coming, and move them to a shelter. I still wonder when looking at all the water down there if there are any that did not make it out.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

I don't think it's about money, I'm sure these people probably have cash but it's useless... I can appreciate your point though. People do laugh at survivalists and you have certainly had the last laugh in this crisis.

In our house we have cupboards full of tinned food, some of it's probably years out of date but you know, it's probably fine.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus

Originally posted by Thunderheart

‘We Need Food, We Need Clothing’: Staten Island Residents Plead for Help 3 Days After Sandy

Sounds more like staten island residents are pleading to get free stuff.

Voluntarily Ive gone 17 days without eating, only drinking juice. 7 days Ive gone with 0 caloric intake, only consuming water. Neither time did I ever actually begin the starvation process, and Im already a slim person. Most people have little to no self-discipline and exceptionally weak wills when it comes to controlling urges, so its not surprising that after three days (probably eating oreos, frozen pizzas, potatoe chips and beer the whole time) people are claiming to be "starving".

I bet most of them are fat as # too. Itll do them some good to go without McDonalds or kraft Mac&cheese for awhile

This is all just part of the drama and hype this spectacle storm has become, and this storm wasnt even that powerful. Could you imagine the abject chaos and complete violent detonation of society and civility if a seriously powerful storm hit NY, like an actual hurricane and not just a strong tropical depression?
edit on 11/1/2012 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

I also have gone 14 days with only water and I was also hiking and working my body hard. You are not hungry after day three, sometimes after day one. I know you won't starve. Kids do need to be fed but the adults can go without food if they have water. It won't hurt them at all.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
How does anyone know these weren't "prepared" people with a basement so well stocked, the neighborhood could live off it for a week. ....yeah.. Basement full. Hmm..

There is no joy in the suffering of other people like this...

You are totaly right, in that circumstance but what do you feel about those that refuse to prepare at all?

The basics that there has been an outcry to all of the country to be prepared for?

www.ready.gov...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Texans are so annoying with their obsession with size.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mystery_Lady

I would agree with you, except one question comes to mind. Most people keep their food in the kitchen on the main floor. Some people have pantry's, and maybe even store some extra in the basement or garage.

How many people store their food in water tight containers? How many people store their food on the second floor or attic? Not many I would think.

These people may have had their original supplies destroyed in a house flood, or rotten in the fridge/freezer after a day or two of the power going out. Tip: If it is only the power going out, eat the stuff in the fridge and freezer first hopefully before it goes bad. This gives you the right to pig out on that ice cream.

Granted they would still have their canned food. I don't know if some of the food that comes sealed in a thin plastic containers would be water tight such as a sleeve of crackers. Everything not sealed, I would think would be bad.

Most of the time my family of five could last a week or more with the food we have, since I like to only go grocery shopping twice a month. I don't know if it would last if everything got soaking wet.

Unlike others, I have taken 2 liter water bottles and filled them up awhile ago. I usually make sure I put fresh water in them every 6 months or so. I would have alot more, except my husband started complaining about not having space for them. 17 up stairs for drinking, and 15 which includes 2 gallon milk jugs for flushing the toliet and other stuff as needed. I havn't changed the water in the ones downstairs in over a year.

I'm thinking I probably need more than that, but that is what my family will tolerate right now. I wonder if I would get a thank you if something does happen? Maybe I should start thinking about how I store the food. Then my family will really start calling me crazy.

The family not tolerating is a very tell tell part of what is happening. People will not be put out to prepare for coming disaster no mater what.

We have a bug o bag by the door in our way and also one in the car. You can buy a small water filtering device that will alow you to clean even mud puddle water. You can buy water purifying tablets they fit in your handbag.

We need to learn and stress the importance we cannot go long without water! it is worth the inconvenience!

You are the families smart one and will be the reason they do not suffer if there is a disaster, and personally I think the whole world is going to have weather and other disasters soon.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wheelindiehl

It's not the category of this storm that was the issue, this hit NYC and NJ, that is roughly 16 MILLION people that are displaced, not working, w/o food, w/o electricity...it is a vital part of the U.S. economy.

Weren't they out of work before the storm hit?? So what has changed??
How many were displaced during IKE and RITA???

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Texans are so annoying with their obsession with size.

what is annoying is people making a big ado about nothing. It is not the size you dangle that matters but the size of the cavern you rappel in..........

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by gunshooter
reply to post by ApolloBloodline

ahhhhh, that's a good one, you do realize its Staten island right? You have had basic geography right?

Yeah cute thought guy with gun out in New Your City with a gun hunting.
In the first place the major problem with getting food is getting in and out of town is pretty difficult let alone the islands.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifeform11

3 days might seem a bit soon, but if your not a survivalist and had nothing to eat for 3 days and no clue when the shops will be open again maybe getting what ever food you can in the meantime might seem like a good idea at the time.

some people are more than likely diabetic also or have some other form of disability that means without food they are more at risk I feel sorry for those people.
edit on 1-11-2012 by lifeform11 because: typo

The people i worry about are the little old people living on floor 39 used to the elevator. What will all the elders and disabled do if they are in the high rise apartments.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaperbackWriter

Originally posted by Thunderheart

Originally posted by PaperbackWriter
The Red Cross has a DONATE button on my Yahoo. They collect billions of dollars during and after every disaster. So can any poster list the current Red Cross sites that are set up to hand out food, water and blankets? Must not be too well known where they RC is or people wouldn't be Dumpster Diving already.

This is the problem with most of society today, dependent on the RC or big daddy government to come and "save" them.
Maybe after this they will be a little more self sufficient.
This is what happened in New Orleans after Katrina, all the governments babies were left "stranded' waiting on big daddy to come and save them.
edit on 1-11-2012 by Thunderheart because: to add the katrina bit.

Don't misundertake me. I am just talking about how the Red Freaking Cross is always milliseconds after an event in full on donation collection mode. Just wondering if anyone had seen hide or hair of them in lo these four days, that's all.

And people forget how they asked for Karina victim donations and the money did not go toward Karina victims! Everyone was angry and then forgot all about it.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
Its a sad reality yes .. not surprising at all
hope nobody will get arrested this time for dumpster diving ..

need to link this thread to yours
sorry in advance if you go angry after reading it

There should be a new Law against Throwing Food in the Trash Bin ..
(Very Shocking Pictures)

edit on 11/1/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

Sad that we live like we do with lawyers waiting to attack. That is the reason for the laws to throw out good food. If someone eats food older then the prescribed times for them, and get sick a huge lawsuit ensues!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
Whatever these people had stored away you know, for a rainy day...

They can't even drive anywhere. Maybe they call a cab?

A bus?

Okay, we're walking... wait. Your kidding, right?

Funny but watching able bodied people get in boats while "rescue workers" walk the boats out in one to two feet of water looks silly to me. (this was the part of the news i called hype)
The walking your kidding thing? The picture is of water that does not even cover the bottom step?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I posted this on another thread on ATS, maybe someone here knows why food is not being collected and if it is please let everyone know. I have food and supplies, even new packaged socks and I will got get blankets.

What I find startling is the lack of places that are receiving donations. I am in the West and during Katrina, I donated personal goods and canned foods. There were semis that brought the donated goods to the people in the NO area. I haven't seen anything like that. All I hear is the media touting the Red Cross and basically telling everyone we don't want your canned goods. Some people may not have $20+ to donate but they have spare food they would be willing to share. What is going on? I like people and I dislike suffering. Are we just becoming to hardened to the suffering of our fellow Americans?
I am going to start calling local churches, maybe that is where to go. I heard some youth group guy on the radio saying they will take anything but it was a national broadcast.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
Aww, survival is easy in these type situations. Lets say you weren't totally prepared, but the storm and surge didn't wash away that case of ramen. If it ain't soggy you will need water... preferably the bottled water that didn't wash away either. You will need to get a pot of sorts out of the wreckage of your home . Wash it in the little bottled water you have to get the salty, sewage, gasoline brine off it. Then build a fire from dry wood that hasn't also been soaked with sewer water.

Make a fire pit, put a grill on it and boil your water adding ramen and lots of spices. Save the water, you will wash in it later. Keep the fire stoked, you will be eating and sleeping in front of it all night and the temperature is dropping almost to freezing. Place sentries and guard the smell of your "Top" Ramen sos it doesn't drift past your neighbors. They are hungry too.

By this weekend they will eat their pets. On Monday they will eat rats and birds. But it's Okay... on Tuesday the NY Marathon is going to happen. Just need to clear a few more bodies from the road first.

I know it ain't that bad, or is it?

I am thinking the majority of the city is fine and that is why they did not cancel the famous and $$ bringing marathon

If people put their food in the 5 gallon buckets that you get at the hardware store with water tight snap lids and especially get survival bars that are for food not fun they will like be ok..

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Sandy has flooded thousands of homes in its devastating path, and estimates are that damages will be in the billions of dollars. FEMA, which runs the federal flood insurance program, has to pick up the tab.

But FEMA already owes $18 billion to the Treasury Department, thanks to Hurricane Katrina. Currently, insurance experts say FEMA's flood insurance program has access to funds totaling $3.8 billion, much of it in loans.

Wheres FEMA? They really really need to stop selling flood insurance on coastal areas. A huge chunk of the money will go to extremely wealthy people who built multi million dollar homes on the coast. The one percenters. If you build in a flood plain you should just take your chances. I am not talking about the homes flooded inland but my God, if you build on the coastline you should just be SOL when your home floods. Otherwise, don't build there if you can't afford to rebuild with your own money. All of America has to pay for the rebuilding of rich peoples homes now. This needs to stop. It is totally insane.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join