It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three days Since Sandy and New Yorkers are...dumpster diving for food?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

That`s not DNA, just check what happened after the Kobe Earthquake, it`s more like a social issue I guess.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by hououinkyouma
reply to post by Ben81

That`s not DNA, just check what happened after the Kobe Earthquake, it`s more like a social issue I guess.

Both !

Survivalism and Social issue

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Yeah, but after the Kobe earthquake and after the Tohoku Tsunami last year people united, share the food that they had left and didn`t started sacks or savagery.

That`s why I say it`s more of a social issue, but of course there is the survivalism part.
edit on 1-11-2012 by hououinkyouma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Fasting is a fantastic way to cleanse the body of all the accumulated # it has lodged inside of it from decades of poor eating/drinking habits, too. After my first 7 day water fast, I actually felt... different. My mind was noticeably clearer, I was less prone to anger, and things much calmer. It really works.

Remember that stimulants kill your appetite too. Thats why theres so much caffeine in weight loss pills; it kills the appetite. Interesting you mention ADHD meds. Stimulant based ADHD medication, such as adderal, can dangerously drop a persons weight, because for days they will literally not even think about eating, and simply will not. Not until they run out of glucose can it dawn on them that "Lol, I havnt eaten in DAYS and I feel great! But maybe I should nibble on a cracker....". Either that, or for some people the acid accumulation in the stomach will become painful and theyll eat something just to get rid of it, not so much because they are hungry. Amphetamines (adderall) was actually prescribed as a weight loss drug 100 years ago.

Fasting also seriously cleanses the body. Once that glucose is gone, the body goes into cleansing mode and begins to search for stuff it doesnt need, and removes it from the flesh and stuff and either metabolizes it, tries to metabolize it, or dumps it into the blood to be picked up by the kidneys, or dumps it into the stomach if it needs a strong container, and the stomach is if not anything else, very resilient.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I have a job,my fridge is well stocked,I have a car,the tank is always kept full,I have survival food and stored water.

I eat dumpster food regularly,cuz my frickin job don't pay squat,I don't drive my car often at all,I ride a bicycle almost everywhere I go,cuz the expense cannot justify the convenience.

Fresh hot pizza after the restaurant shuts down,out dated stuff from the grocery store....

The survival food and stored water is for emergencies,...

Keep your tools in the box unless you absolutely have to take them out.

Who said that?...Just because you can,doesn't mean you should...I dunno,I don't remember....?

I have everything I need and more,I seldom use any of it cuz I'm poor.

People have become complacent,they take most things for granted.

That's why # like this happens.

If you are too proud to eat garbage to survive,the sleezebags in the world have you trained well.

They wait to sell you their overpriced poisonous #,and most are loyal consumers.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Aww, survival is easy in these type situations. Lets say you weren't totally prepared, but the storm and surge didn't wash away that case of ramen. If it ain't soggy you will need water... preferably the bottled water that didn't wash away either. You will need to get a pot of sorts out of the wreckage of your home . Wash it in the little bottled water you have to get the salty, sewage, gasoline brine off it. Then build a fire from dry wood that hasn't also been soaked with sewer water.

Make a fire pit, put a grill on it and boil your water adding ramen and lots of spices. Save the water, you will wash in it later. Keep the fire stoked, you will be eating and sleeping in front of it all night and the temperature is dropping almost to freezing. Place sentries and guard the smell of your "Top" Ramen sos it doesn't drift past your neighbors. They are hungry too.

By this weekend they will eat their pets. On Monday they will eat rats and birds. But it's Okay... on Tuesday the NY Marathon is going to happen. Just need to clear a few more bodies from the road first.

I know it ain't that bad, or is it?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

You can go for a very, very long time without eating and NOT be starving. What these societal dependents are feeling is the CONTRACTION of their GI tracts that are finally, after decades of abuse, finally getting a chance to REST.

Agreed. they are going to find that out. Its the kids wailing though that sears a parents mind.

Oh, they arnt guaranteed another meal for maybe at least a couple days...

You guarantee that do you? "Couple of days?"

And FFS, if you are cold, wrap up in a blanket. Im sure the second story of their houses were not flooded; put on some extra clothing.

What didn't wash way was all rained on, so we are looking for those clean dry blankets still.

The skyline will be lit with fires. People will gather close, burn their furniture and eat their pets. In some cases, it will be like, Medieval.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

The skyline will be lit with fires. People will gather close, burn their furniture and eat their pets. In some cases, it will be like, Medieval.

I would rather eat another human than my pet.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by hououinkyouma

I would rather eat another human than my pet.

Well then somebody else's. I know they are not there yet. Lets hope it doesn't get to that. I been watching a sanitized MSM of this epoch and I wonder. I'm a gonna go log off and play with my dog.

Feeling fortunate I am not there and I have all my creature comforts. That is a sorry state of affairs for people back east. May they be warm, dry and have a full belly tonight.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I've seen and heard about all the people that live in New York's vast underground tunnel areas.... homeless and crazies and people of questionable choices, etc. Maybe its these people who have been driven out of the tunnels that are now so desperate, and there are also the people that have the micro apartments because of the insane square footage prices for apartments, so they really do eat hand to mouth and don't have any storage space for necessities like food and water and warm clothes or what have you, but other than that..... what kind of idiots don't prepare, considering all the warning that was given? Bravado, ego, foolishness... who knows? But yeah, if the SHTF, the people that are dumpster diving after 3 days (unless their homes and supplies were destroyed) because of a lack of even semi-consciousness about how to get ready for a bit of disaster, then they are DOOOOOOMED in an even worse case scenario. And they were panicking after a mere 3 days? Wow. I guess we have a different mentality out here in Wyoming! Take care of your neighbors, but also.... take care of yourself and be fairly self reliant.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
i know many of them lost everything, and they all have unique situations. but i have 3 days worth of food in my home.
i can CARRY 3 days worth of food for 3 people.

i cant help but be slightly cold hearted at this. just like with Katrina. some people apparently dont even want to survive. americans are all literally waiting to be taken care of.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by gunshooter

Staten Island appears to have had a deer problem in the past. Maybe that still applies today? I don't know that much about the area but I know there is wilderness in the heart of it (Heyerdahl Ruins area?)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
People need to learn humility sometimes. Be happy these people are diving in dumpsters instead of robbing other people. I actually respect these people for their honesty and morals, I know some people who would take a gun and rob someone's food. Some of these people are well to do in society.

Hear, hear!
Not prepared, but doing what they can in an honest manner in a horrible situation.
I have respect for that.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
you guys have to understand, most people in the areas affected were already poor. They couldn't afford in many cases to buy a week's worth of food, since they were like the rest of the world, poor and in debt. If you had an extra 50 bucks you would pay the phone bill or a utility or buy other things you and yours need since your kid needs electricity and school supplies. Maybe the elderly in your home need medicine. ect.

People think NY has an abundance of rich people. The ones that work there AND live there aren't. You pay what rent you can for a roach infested apartment you share with too many people.

It is not like you have a really nice car and like expensive vacations. Most people in NYC live pay check to paycheck. Some can't get by without aid, and others just can't get by.

You also have to take into account the size of an average apartment in the city. They are very small. You can't stock up more than what your kitchen can hold, and that is not much.

I see people being way to hard on NYers. You just don't know what it is like to live in a major metropolitan area.

Visit, maybe, live there, no idea. You don't have a month of food on hand because for one, it is really expensive. Try shopping in NY, look at the prices in grocery stores. Not like rural USA, I can tell you that,

and two, you don't have the space for it.

City life is daily shopping, eating out, and trying to save money for an ever increasing cost of life.

NYC poor is not like Alabama poor. You can't just visit your friends house and ask for some food. Your neighbor doesn't have it, and if he does, not allot.

It is easy to say they are deserving of this. But that makes you an apathetic jerk who knows nothing of city life. It is a hard knock life as is. Add the largest storm in US history, and you get this.

No one in a desert is ready for a flood.

edit on 2-11-2012 by manykapao because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
How does anyone know these weren't "prepared" people with a basement so well stocked, the neighborhood could live off it for a week. ....yeah.. Basement full. Hmm..

There is no joy in the suffering of other people like this...

I was thinking that last night whilst watching the news. Most preppers, whilst well stocked, they will probably have their basements full and this will be all flooded out now.

Worth investing a in a few waterproof containers if you can't keep your food out of harms way.

I would love to see a "post-Sandy preppers report" website set up, somewhere to share experiences and suggestions for next time. Much will have been learnt from this storm.

CX.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Some folks are quite harsh, and my hope is they never have to endure what is going on in New York, Jersey, and other places rocked by the storm. They are doing what is needed to survive. Some have to dumpster dive, and I can see why? The cost of living in NYC is through the roof. Kind of difficult to put money aside to stock your prepper's stash, and then meet day-to-day expenses like rent, food, transportation, childcare, etc. People have got to start helping each other out, and looking after each other instead of judging them. Those people can be any of us, and it can happen at any time. Easy come easy go! I feel bad for them.

I wonder if any of the judgmental types would be willing to put the shoe on the other foot, and walk a mile in their shoes? They would not. As I have said on this site time and time again. Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. Everybody is Billy Bad@@@ when BSing from behind their keyboards while in their comfortable leather recliners from momma's basement, but put any of them under the pressure that is taking place after one of these disasters? Lets just see how they handle it, and it wont be long until they are in the breadline, lining up to seek shelter and blanket, and foraging for the essentials to survive. Not everyone has thousands of dollars to spend on their panic room, pallets of dry goods and water, or a little patch of land to grow some fruits and vegetables. Everybody thinks it is so easy. Maybe for them, but not everyone else. Lets keep that mind before we judge others, and their actions. This situation is turning out to be like another Katrina, and what makes matters worse is this happened in Northeast and winter is about to begin. In other news, and yet another insult to injury.

East Coast may face new nor'easter while recovering from Superstorm Sandy

Another messy — and wintry — storm may cause post-Election Day problems for an already weather-weary East Coast, forecasters say.

But meteorologists add that it's six days out, so that's rather early to get too worried. The forecast could change before it hits late next week.

So, now maybe a nor'easter on top of what took place after this hurricane? If it hits? It should disrupt clean-up, and rescue efforts that will be taking place at the time of this storm. Also in the article cited above, forecasters are expecting high winds, snow in parts of New York and New England, heavy rainfall, and beach erosion. All I am saying is that we should take off the boxing gloves, and empathize with the plight of these people. It could happen to us, and anyone in our own families? Lets not relive Katrina if we can help it. On another note, economically, people are struggling more today than they were then, and I don't see people getting giddy about whipping out their checkbooks to send money to aide services or sending nonperishable items to the disaster area. Especially when so many are scrimping by to survive themselves. This is not a good situation for anyone!

edit on 2-11-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by MyHappyDogShiner

I would say that about 90% of everything I eat is healthy. Not always "fun and extravagant", but healthy.
I generally see food as fuel for my body, not something I dive into for pure pleasure.

So I agree, most people take food to serious. The only important thing is that it does what it should and with a good result.

For the price of one standard poisonous hamburger from a certain famous food chain, I can buy fresh spinach to last me a week.
For the price of a six pack of beers I can buy water that last me a month.
Just saying.
edit on 2-11-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
The recent floods and other disasters will hopefully open some eyes. People can't even live without stores and electricity. Sad. This is one of the reasons I wont be living in a city. People cant use their stoves because gas lines and electricity is still out and whatever therefore they can't make food. The stores don't have food because there's no power there either.

How did people survive before walmarts, cell phones, and food prepared for them? Hungry, ok make a fire and hunt stuff to eat. Cant start a fire in the city police will be called. Point is, too many people are so dependent on the systems in place that when a disaster happens they are lost and can't survive.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by manykapao

When asked how his home was, one resident said, "Well, we live on the 20th floor. No power or water, we had to leave."

That building is probably empty until further notice. Its damn cold back there right now. What are you going to do, start a fire in your oven and cook pigeons?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
This is why it's important to actually do the emergency preparedness.. Make up a quick grab bag of supplies as well. In case of an evacuation order, you should be able to leave with only 15 minutes notice at all times. There are plenty of websites with tips on what you might need for every type of disaster, that you would never think of, like trash bags for a rain jacket, Tin foil not just for cooking but can be used as a signal.

My most used items in power outages, apart from candles and a flashlight are my portable radio and old style phone because cordless doesnt work in an outage. My cell phone wasn't working at all in the last power outage.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join